• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Some more shots from PS5.

RGiufK.png

RGiY11.png

R5LUUM.png

R5Lo8F.png

RGiN0Z.png

R5LDn0.png

About 10 hours into it and haven't scratched the surface yet. Playing on Hard and doing whatever I can before moving the story. Gameplay is really fun and I still just have the default magic they give you (Green magic). I actually like this magic set now lol. During the demo, Fire magic was so much better. Never gave Green magic a chance until now.

Shield Shot is like a shotgun blast. If you're in their face, you'll damage them multiple times in one shot. High chance to knock them down as well. It's also a shield so if someone attacks, it automatically triggers and damages them. Burst Shot does area damage. Scatter Shot is your machine gun. A stream of rocks thrown at the enemy and then a high impact shot to end it.

Both Scatter Shot and Burst are long range. There are other skills like Disperse, which lets you throw down a plant that throws rocks at enemies. Think of a sentry gun you plant and it automatically hits people in range, lol.

If you enjoyed the gameplay of the demo, then the full game doesn't seem to disappoint in that regard.

And I agree...please don't bring all that toxic talk into the OT. There are other threads where you can already go wild with that, if you choose. No need for it to spill in here as well.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Tabata: I will never be a memory, ERA. *one winged Angel starts playing*

lmao.

On topic, the more I watch of the Japanese dub its baffling how much of an upgrade it is. It really is the difference between a protagonist who comes off as kinda unpleasant (albeit understandably so, but in a way that I suspect will/did aggravate a lot of people), and someone who is just kinda done with it all but kinda jaded and cool, no-nonsense about it, in a more amenable way.

Anyway I hope Luminous can incorporate some of the feedback into the DLC expansion. I know they say Summer but who knows. Without Frey I wonder if it will immediately be less, well, divisive.

The identical dungeons shown in the video are a big disappointment coming from the ffxv team given how creative they were in that game

Yeah it's a shame. Even though XV only had like, what 12-15 dungeons or so they all felt very distinctive and very organically integrated with the open world.

How is there zero pc footage outside of the minute long highlight reel, square Enix please

I think everyone knows why.

It's because the PC version looks too good and they couldn't market it while having the PS marketing campaign! /s

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
It would be funny if the DLC ends up having a lot more in the way of Agni's Philosophy imagery.

They sort of did that with the Windows Edition of XV and Episode Ardyn. It was wild to see all Noctis' VersusXIII moves and the Regis scene with the Royal arms.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
celes literally impulse purchased this at 23:59 lol. Gotta get the preorder nails 💅 I blame you and your cat gifs (but really I've been curious since the reveal and I'll take a female lead doing some cool shit any day, even if it has issues). Will hop in tomorrow ~

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had just kept my amazon order because I switched to Target last minute since they delivered my copy of Bayo3 early but the tracking says it won't get here until Thursday :/

celes literally impulse purchased this at 23:59 lol. Gotta get the preorder nails 💅 I blame you and your cat gifs (but really I've been curious since the reveal and I'll take a female lead doing some cool shit any day, even if it has issues). Will hop in tomorrow ~
benzy made the gifs but I asked him to; knew the cats would be hit lmao.

Maybe I'll *gasp* finally watch Avatar as a compromise... Jokes aside, I hope you enjoy despite the flaws!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about what you said and you know personally I think I would find it worse from the mouth of a white male character. Some typical video game bro dude dropping those lines? No thanks.

More power to you. I see very little difference in quality of the banter and dialogue we have seen in most of the footage from Nathan Drake, Peter Parker, God of War, Guardians of the Galaxy, and numerous other titles I could name.

And, in all my time being on forums and playing videogames, I have NEVER seen reactions so viscerally negative when it comes to the dialogue of a game. From the very first time Frey was talking in gameplay. Seriously, if there is an example of this sustained negativity over the dialogue of a game, I'd love an example.

I wish it would have reviewed better, because then it'd be even more obvious to weed out bad faith criticisms, but here we are.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
More power to you. I see very little difference in quality of the banter and dialogue we have seen in most of the footage from Nathan Drake, Peter Parker, God of War, Guardians of the Galaxy, and numerous other titles I could name.

And, in all my time being on forums and playing videogames, I have NEVER seen reactions so viscerally negative when it comes to the dialogue of a game. From the very first time Frey was talking in gameplay. Seriously, if there is an example of this sustained negativity over the dialogue of a game, I'd love an example.

I wish it would have reviewed better, because then it'd be even more obvious to weed out bad faith criticisms, but here we are.
Plenty of reviewers with the same shit going on as gamers at large.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of reviewers with the same shit going on as gamers at large.

100%

And I'm not saying it's all racism and misogyny. Game looks like it's got some genuine problems. I'm just saying certain criticisms get the side-eye from me.

Anyway, I snagged it on GMG for 20% off, so I'll be playing some tomorrow and Wednesday.
For me, I loved the demo. I thought the gameplay was sick and allowed for lots of player expression and innovation. Felt like it had a true learning curve and wanted people to experiment. It flies in the face of most AAA games I've played the past few years. Most of the reviews are saying the gameplay is slick, and that's the only thing I truly care about, so I'm excited.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I totally agree that the bad dialogue example people are passing around like it's the worst thing ever just reminds me of plenty of other popular games and movies which you named a good number of. I get not liking something but the pure hatred this game seems to be getting seems so bizarre.

Well I'm looking forward to giving the game a try tomorrow. Hopefully the PC version doesn't release with too many issues.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I do remember quite a few people complaining about Nathan Drake's jovial personality, and quips while mowing don 100s of people. I believe it was the first time I ever encountered the term ludonarative dissonance. It didn't seem to affect reviews too much though. Of course that's a bit different than complaining about the quality of the writing.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Genuinely fear for you PC peeps. I'm not one of this game's doom and gloomers but….I fear and pray for you.

After FFVIIR and Stranger of Paradise on launch day, I'm ready for anything. 720p 30fps low settings with FSR here we goooooo.

In all seriousness it's going to be fucking wild if by some miracle the PC port ends up being legit good.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of the "bad" dialogue in this game would be fine to people coming out of the mouth of a white, male character.

You clearly must have missed the uproar around DmC then. This is by far not the only game to be singled out because people find its writing and dialogue grating and annoying.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just hope those that want to knock eventually move to the review thread and those of that actually want to enjoy this can talk about why we're enjoying it.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
You clearly must have missed the uproar around DmC then. This is by far not the only game to be singled out because people find its writing and dialogue grating and annoying.

Maybe he did as that game is a decade old.

Probably referring to, current games like Uncharted 4, Guardians, God of War, Spider Man. Games that released in the last few years.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Have been interested in this ever since the 10 minute gameplay demo. I especially loved the aesthetic and the insistence on lighting up the screen when the action gets going.

All the best to the developers, hope this does well enough. I will be picking it up before weekend.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I've played for about an hour and I'm playing in Japanese. I find the the dialogue is fine but the voice performance and direction in English what was throwing me off. I do hate they didn't lip sync for Japanese though.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
After watching more gameplay I am very tempted to pick this up when done with Dead Space - the spells look like a ton of fun and I didn't know there were so many!

Will try the demo tonight and see how it goes.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You went 10 years back, named one game, and that game had people talking about WAY more than the dialogue, lol.

But okay, I'll give you your example. I had forgotten about it, especially since all DMC games have the writing of Saturday Morning Cartoons (and imo far more grating than anything I've heard in Forspoken) but I most fans say that non-ninja theory Dante is bad and cheesy, and that's part of the charm. Just the same way I've heard people say that Jack in that FF spinoff is "so bad it's good!"

So...I stand by what I said. I've never seen reactions like this. Especially when the shit people are sharing isn't even bad? Feels like videogame writing to me. And because of that it leaves me, and multiple other Black posters who have repeatedly talked about this in other threads, to wonder, in the words of Ginuwine: What's so different?

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope those that want to knock eventually move to the review thread and those of that actually want to enjoy this can talk about why we're enjoying it.
I'm sure it'll balance as it gets in more people's hands and impressions are posted. Unfortunately I won't get it until Thursday but hoping tracking is off.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
10am CST tomorrow morning shall be a giant fuckhole of misery and refunds.
SE should have just dropped DirectStorage since it wasn't ready yet without GPU decompression (finally available in November but too late for development of Forspoken). Requiring a video card with 16 GB of VRAM just to make the game decently playable at higher settings is crazy.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure it'll balance as it gets in more people's hands and impressions are posted. Unfortunately I won't get it until Thursday but hoping tracking is off.
Yeah, sorry about your copy. It's just I already went through this with Saints Row not that long ago and now another game that hits all the right notes for me doesn't work for others, and that's cool I just hate Hearing how bad it is from people who will never even play it in the thread for people playing it. If your playing it and want to rip it a new one I am fine with that.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021

High on Life.. how did you miss that it was scored poorly because of the dialogue. Some people loved it some hated it. Just look at the threads for that game. It was way worse than this.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
High on Life.. how did you miss that it was scored poorly because of the dialogue. Some people loved it some hated it. Just look at the threads for that game. It was way worse than this.

news.xbox.com

High on Life Is Xbox Game Pass' Biggest 2022 Launch, and the Biggest 3rd Party Game Pass Launch Ever - Xbox Wire

High on Life has become the biggest Game Pass launch of 2022, the biggest 3rd party Game Pass launch in history, and the biggest single-player Game Pass launch ever!

Anyway, that's fine. You think this isn't unique. We're not going to agree. I been Black long enough to know what it is.
We can stop talking about it (or at least stop responding to me about it), because I don't want this thread to be about it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/WYgGHkgbhEs?t=158

Interesting review, mainly in the same vein as some of the more...well, lets call them 'charitable' reviews, but wanted to share primarily because of the gameplay. Timestamped. Some of the traversal just looks wildly exuberant. Lots of moments where I feel that sense of falling in my stomach.

See, seeing this, I'm reminded again of what drew me to the game to begin with. It looks like a lot of fun, and I can't think of any open world game that seems to take making traversal enjoyable so seriously. Plus I've always liked what I've seen of the combat, too. I really only need good gameplay to get me invested -- I frickin' love Dragon's Dogma, for example (and I appreciate everything surrounding it which is still rightly criticized).

So I was kind of wary when I saw so many of the reviews saying the combat was boring, repetitive, shallow, etc., and I'm thinking...compared to what, though? So these impressions at least make sense to make in relation to what I'm actually being shown. But a lot of people criticized the gameplay from the demo, so I guess I won't know until I play it myself...

So...I stand by what I said. I've never seen reactions like this. Especially when the shit people are sharing isn't even bad? Feels like videogame writing to me. And because of that it leaves me, and multiple other Black posters who have repeatedly talked about this in other threads, to wonder, in the words of Ginuwine: What's so different?
If anything, some of the clips that were shared as "bad" examples actually sold me on it a bit more. I have no shortage of things to criticize (the "hip-hoppy walk" talk, the backstory leading into the isekai, the composition of the writer's team, etc.), but outside of the really "cringe" examples, the performances have sounded...pretty good at times.

Apr 5, 2022
Some more shots from PS5.

RGiufK.png

RGiY11.png

R5LUUM.png

R5Lo8F.png

RGiN0Z.png

R5LDn0.png

About 10 hours into it and haven't scratched the surface yet. Playing on Hard and doing whatever I can before moving the story. Gameplay is really fun and I still just have the default magic they give you (Green magic). I actually like this magic set now lol. During the demo, Fire magic was so much better. Never gave Green magic a chance until now.

Shield Shot is like a shotgun blast. If you're in their face, you'll damage them multiple times in one shot. High chance to knock them down as well. It's also a shield so if someone attacks, it automatically triggers and damages them. Burst Shot does area damage. Scatter Shot is your machine gun. A stream of rocks thrown at the enemy and then a high impact shot to end it.

Both Scatter Shot and Burst are long range. There are other skills like Disperse, which lets you throw down a plant that throws rocks at enemies. Think of a sentry gun you plant and it automatically hits people in range, lol.

If you enjoyed the gameplay of the demo, then the full game doesn't seem to disappoint in that regard.

And I agree...please don't bring all that toxic talk into the OT. There are other threads where you can already go wild with that, if you choose. No need for it to spill in here as well.

I really don't get why people on twitter say "It looks like a PS3 game" as if that were some kind of insult. MGS4 is a great looking game and that was on PS3 so I wouldn't call PS3 bad looking games, but Forspoken looks gorgeous on PS5, not sure why people say the visuals "look bad" unless I'm missing something, it looks fantastic by these shots. Can't wait to give it a shot soon in a couple of hours.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
news.xbox.com

High on Life Is Xbox Game Pass' Biggest 2022 Launch, and the Biggest 3rd Party Game Pass Launch Ever - Xbox Wire

High on Life has become the biggest Game Pass launch of 2022, the biggest 3rd party Game Pass launch in history, and the biggest single-player Game Pass launch ever!

Anyway, that's fine. You think this isn't unique. We're not going to agree. I been Black long enough to know what it is.
We can stop talking about it, because I don't want this thread to be about it.

Both threads have ended up going this way so I think that's going to be the direction regardless. I think if the people that are represented by the main character approve of the portrayal written by Amy Hennig and co. and things like "hip-hoppy walk", what can we really say against that other than giving it support?

It "feels" problematic but it's a long way from having all-white writers come up with dialogue like that one black character in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Last edited:

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
See, seeing this, I'm reminded again of what drew me to the game to begin with. It looks like a lot of fun, and I can't think of any open world game that seems to take making traversal enjoyable so seriously. Plus I've always liked what I've seen of the combat, too. I really only need good gameplay to get me invested -- I frickin' love Dragon's Dogma, for example (and I appreciate everything surrounding it which is still rightly criticized).

So I was kind of wary when I saw so many of the reviews saying the combat was boring, repetitive, shallow, etc., and I'm thinking...compared to what, though? So these impressions at least make sense to make in relation to what I'm actually being shown. But a lot of people criticized the gameplay from the demo, so I guess I won't know until I play it myself...

The combat rewards your own creativity. The people that said those things would play through an entire Bayonetta on easy using nothing but the PPPKK combo and then say the same.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
100%

And I'm not saying it's all racism and misogyny. Game looks like it's got some genuine problems. I'm just saying certain criticisms get the side-eye from me.

Anyway, I snagged it on GMG for 20% off, so I'll be playing some tomorrow and Wednesday.
For me, I loved the demo. I thought the gameplay was sick and allowed for lots of player expression and innovation. Felt like it had a true learning curve and wanted people to experiment. It flies in the face of most AAA games I've played the past few years. Most of the reviews are saying the gameplay is slick, and that's the only thing I truly care about, so I'm excited.
That's where I'm at. Gameplay in the demo was good, but I'm looking forward to getting into it with the proper ramp-up.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The combat rewards your own creativity. The people that said those things would play through an entire Bayonetta on easy using nothing but the PPPKK combo and then say the same.
That's what I figured, and I can understand the critiques around encounter design not encouraging people to make the most of those systems. But I think I'll be fine.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
news.xbox.com

We can stop talking about it (or at least stop responding to me about it), because I don't want this thread to be about it.

You literally ask (I'd love an example) of when a game got trashed for it's dialogue, I supplied you one then you responded with that, seriously? posting that the game was played a lot doesn't add anything to this discussion, for all we know this game could sell incredible as well..

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So about 9:00am tomorrow for me, huh... looks like I'm gonna get up and play Forspoken first thing in the morning.

This is the vibe I get when watching it. And I love games that work like this.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
yeah lots of people clowned on High on Life's dialogue and the Rick and Morty style of writing is also probably at the end of its shelf life....even before the allegations.

Again I really think the AAA dev cycle hurt the game as going for this style of writing made it miss the bus so to speak lol. The internet at the very least are very vocal against the Wheedon-ification of things.. I only notice it when its called out personally and then yeah its a bit "cringey" I guess.

Going to be interesting to see if the mass audience feels the same way. The vocal internet peeps had me think Avatar 2 would bomb with the ammount of "who even wants this" posts I saw prior...not so much the reality.

Still I think the actual game part should get the most focus rather....the demo left me cold on that front. Wasn't as smooth to run around and the combat felt clunky. I am currently playing FE:Engage. I love me some anime but man this is some anime ass anime...but the fights are a blast so who gives a shit IMO. Hoping with a better slow drip of learning the ropes rather than getting thrown into the deep end ala the demo, I can feel the same here...then all the cringe can become endearing or at least tollerable.

Will say I am glad its here so some can move on to their next target at least lol. Still say this was the weirdest lead up to a new IP in a while..there is a video review saying the game is awful with the F word in the thumbnail on youtube. Like what is wrong with yall.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I really don't get why people on twitter say "It looks like a PS3 game" as if that were some kind of insult. MGS4 is a great looking game and that was on PS3 so I wouldn't call PS3 bad looking games, but Forspoken looks gorgeous on PS5, not sure why people say the visuals "look bad" unless I'm missing something, it looks fantastic by these shots. Can't wait to give it a shot soon in a couple of hours.

That's not a great sequence of shots. Surely there's more color in the game somewhere? Those are very brown/green.