• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
I like John's conslusion, but honestly, I'm fairly certain Forspoken doesn't have half of XVI's budget. Ultimately, regardless of your tools (and XVI is probably using some elements from Luminous anyway....) and talent, money will make the difference.

Forspoken dropping in the 20's fps in quality mode is not acceptable though, come on guys. Apparently it's only in one specific area, hope it'll get patched.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I like John's conslusion, but honestly, I'm fairly certain Forspoken doesn't have half of XVI's budget. Ultimately, regardless of your tools (and XVI is probably using some elements from Luminous anyway....) and talent, money will make the difference.

This is what I was about to say

Crossing my fingers for the PC

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
anyone know if the sneaks are upgradeable/customizable?

from the small glimpses ive seen of various costumes, the kicks all seem to be the same white pair

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I may not be in day 1, but i'm definitely getting this the minute it hits $40-$50. I enjoyed what little I played of the demo, and if I can ignore the dialogue from shit like Tales of Graces and Kingdom Hearts to get to the fun game, I can do it again here. Shit'll just be white noise for me when i'm surfing through fantasy meadows and blasting ghouls mid air with Firaja and Thundagun. Definitely expect this to be a sleeper hit for me by years end.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
anyone know if the sneaks are upgradeable/customizable?

from the small glimpses ive seen of various costumes, the kicks all seem to be the same white pair

Sadly, they are not. That would have been cool though.

A few things I posted in the impressions thread I wanted to copy over here. In case anyone was wondering about certain things.

You can remove your cloak and necklace if you prefer. You won't have any of the effects they provide but if you would like her without those items, you have that choice. She will still have things wrapped around her waist though. So she won't look exactly like she did in the beginning. She'll look like this:

R5HedD.png

In terms of what you can do in the world:

- Places where you can find lore for the Archive
- Places where you eliminate the enemy to gain a stat increase
- Places that can give you Mana (which is used to unlock skills). You can also find Mana while roaming the world.
- Places that can reward you with new cloaks/necklaces
- Fast Travel spots
- There are also MANY treasure chests scattered around the map
- Gathering materials while roaming (which is used for crafting/upgrading)

It also seems the map is broken up into sections, and within those sections, you can see a list of things you can do.

You are free to enable/disable every icon on the map. I know some prefer to stumble upon things organically and others prefer seeing everything all at once. You have the option.

Just like the demo, there will be strong monsters roaming the maps. You might not be able to beat them initially (or it'll take a long time, depending on difficulty) but you can come back when you're stronger.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Sadly, they are not. That would have been cool though.

A few things I posted in the impressions thread I wanted to copy over here. In case anyone was wondering about certain things.

You can remove your cloak and necklace if you prefer. You won't have any of the effects they provide but if you would like her without those items, you have that choice. She will still have things wrapped around her waist though. So she won't look exactly like she did in the beginning. She'll look like this:

R5HedD.png

In terms of what you can do in the world:

- Places where you can find lore for the Archive
- Places where you eliminate the enemy to gain a stat increase
- Places that can give you Mana (which is used to unlock skills). You can also find Mana while roaming the world.
- Places that can reward you with new cloaks/necklaces
- Fast Travel spots
- There are also MANY treasure chests scattered around the map
- Gathering materials while roaming (which is used for crafting/upgrading)

It also seems the map is broken up into sections, and within those sections, you can see a list of things you can do.

You are free to enable/disable every icon on the map. I know some prefer to stumble upon things organically and others prefer seeing everything all at once. You have the option.

Just like the demo, there will be strong monsters roaming the maps. You might not be able to beat them initially (or it'll take a long time, depending on difficulty) but you can come back when you're stronger.

So you can't just hide the cloak? Kinda sad, she looks super cool without it!

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Can't believe they didn't give pc codes out, very scary

Hopefully because it obliterates the sony marketed ps5 version, and not because it's a broken disaster

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
The little I played of the demo was great (though I can see why people were down on it, it took some getting used to). Also, I usually love games in the 70s because they always have some quirky stuff that makes them feel like... games. AAA games often lack soul, this seems to have plenty. So yeah, hyped for tomorrow.

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Really looking forward to impressions of people actually playing it here. The game looks like so much fun to play around with all the magic spells and traversal abilities.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
That was a massive preload on PC but I am ready! I hope this port is solid, super excited to hook it up the TV and be absolutely floored. The customization of clothing and all the magical spell load outs got me hyped!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Preloading. Gonna give it a go when it is live on Steam.

I'm rocking a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with a 3070 so I can also give impressions on how it runs, lol. My guess is that I'm gonna be playing it at 1080p60 without RT, probably

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Game has been preloaded on steam, I'm not expecting great things on my 3080 ftw3, 12600k, and 32gb ram XD Been a bad few weeks with possibly this and witcher 3 next gen but I blame the games more than the hardware.

Feb 16, 2022
I haven't been able to watch any videos, but does anyone know real quick how's performance on PS5? Any graphics modes/options?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Preloading. Gonna give it a go when it is live on Steam.

I'm rocking a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with a 3070 so I can also give impressions on how it runs, lol. My guess is that I'm gonna be playing it at 1080p60 without RT, probably

This is all I am hoping for lol. Or maybe 40fps with VRR and settings up.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

View: https://youtu.be/WYgGHkgbhEs?t=158

Interesting review, mainly in the same vein as some of the more...well, lets call them 'charitable' reviews, but wanted to share primarily because of the gameplay. Timestamped. Some of the traversal just looks wildly exuberant. Lots of moments where I feel that sense of falling in my stomach.

Considering this is a Square game, I wonder if we can expect superbosses and/or ultimate equipment etc

There are optional bosses called abominations iirc.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado

Interesting review, mainly in the same vein as some of the more...well, lets call them 'charitable' reviews, but wanted to share primarily because of the gameplay. Timestamped. Some of the traversal just looks wildly exuberant. Lots of moments where I feel that sense of falling in my stomach.

The identical dungeons shown in the video are a big disappointment coming from the ffxv team given how creative they were in that game

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

mmmm that traversal. it looks like it's more skill based than spider-man PS4 which felt a bit too automated to me

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019

Man...

I don't know that I've ever seen anything like what some of that traversal and magic use brings. And that's a big, big plus for this game.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my copy and I'm about to start now. I got this and Dead Space and even after the reviews I'm going to play this one first.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
looks kinda interesting, but holy cow it's $135 in my country (equivalent to $90 USD) on Steam - I don't think I've seen a non-collector's edition base game price this high before, ever...

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
I imagine he had the initial story and framework down and it probably was such as mess, that they had to reboot everything after he left.
So you've just made up a story in your head? You can't blame something like that on an individual, let alone someone who hasn't been part of the company for many years. There are plenty of Square Enix games that miss the mark, and this just happens to be one of them it seems.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Preloading the game currently. Roughly 17 hours till i can play.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
So you've just made up a story in your head? You can't blame something like that on an individual, let alone someone who hasn't been part of the company for many years. There are plenty of Square Enix games that miss the mark, and this just happens to be one of them it seems.

I am basing this on his past projects and his directing style. One cannot play Third Birthday and not see the guy has some issues with such areas as pacing and world building.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
Chapter 1 made me tear up. I'm embarrassed. I have a feeling I already figured out the reason behind the isekai, but we'll see.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I am basing this on his past projects and his directing style. One cannot play Third Birthday and not see the guy has some issues with such areas as pacing and world building.
Tabata had a totally different thing in mind with an FF game featuring a black lead in basically a modern realistic city that got scrapped so he left. They took some elements of that idea for Forspoken but he has very little involvement with this finished product. I dislike his games and direction but he wasn't to blame for this one.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017

Forspoken dropping in the 20's fps in quality mode is not acceptable though, come on guys. Apparently it's only in one specific area, hope it'll get patched

I disagree, someone with talent know how to do better with less ressources.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022

Forspoken dropping in the 20's fps in quality mode is not acceptable though, come on guys. Apparently it's only in one specific area, hope it'll get patched.

If we're talking John of DF, my problem with his review is that it opens up with that reductionist blather about east vs. west game design without any substantial evidence or discussion of what he means by that. Otherwise the video was informative but it also made me realize that I don't give a crap about accurate in-door lighting lol. Also I thought the purple and red lighting looked cool.

Anyways the game looked fun to me and I love that there's a woman of color as the protag, will pick this up somewhere down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
I think at least the couple of dialog videos floating around twitter I've seen are completely fine? Maybe some of the delivery isn't amazing but overall kind of good

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing this tonight. Gotta see it for myself, and ultimately I like FFXV enough that I do want to see the team's next game. And I know I'm basic but the deluge of isekai anime over the years has made me somehow fond of the genre… so I do really want to see Frey's story.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I for one am really looking toward it. I agree some of the videos online with the dialogue are not really that bad, plus it looks like it's a lot of fun to play.

Oct 25, 2017

I loooove the movement and spell work in that timestamp. If this is a 7, it's going to be a really fun 7.