Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I think the outcry over MMR being implemented is really overreaction. I saw a couple people on twitter damning it and all of them had COD in their profile. I don't know how COD screwed it up, but it exists in most competitive games and is a net positive. With 100 player games, I doubt it'll be that stringent to begin with. They don't want to slow down queue times just to get the perfect game. In fact, queue times getting longer is my only concern and I know epic has that concern as expressed before. It'll likely just be a back end thing that players don't even notice. They probably could have implemented it overnight without notice weeks ago. Anyway, I am willing to wait to see what they say about the system before condemning it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Couple weeks on, how do people feel about no team kills?
I'm fine with it to cut down on frustration so long as its a temporarily measure while they build the back end to introduce and proper punish and ban system for repeat team killers. I'm just worried thats not whats happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a solo game where I placed 4th. Died to to a RL. The last 3 players then proceeded to spam RL at eachother for a couple minutes. Eventually the guy I died to played stupid and tried to bum rush and got shotgunned. And the guy who killed him ended up misfiring a rocket to kill himself.

Why is this still a thing where people have endless rockets at the end? And in solo mode of all places, where ammo should be sparser than squad/duo.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I believe they said it would be $10, but in actual dollars not vbucks this time.
Do you know by chance if they've confirmed this? I think we're going off the assumption its going to be $20. This is however entirely speculated off the the first battle pass being listed as 1800 V-Bucks with a strike through it and came up as 950, but the description listed it as a 4,000 V-Bucks value. Gave the impression the $10 price was just an introductory one. I'd love the season 3 pass to be $10, but $20 is still an acceptable value.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can confirm doing the emote lets you pull out the gun when you first land. Still a stupid glitch and it's to blame for plenty of deaths that happens to people on Xbox.

Cronnie

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you know by chance if they've confirmed this? I think we're going off the assumption its going to be $20. This is however entirely speculated off the the first battle pass being listed as 1800 V-Bucks with a strike through it and came up as 950, but the description listed it as a 4,000 V-Bucks value. Gave the impression the $10 price was just an introductory one. I'd love the season 3 pass to be $10, but $20 is still an acceptable value.

I don't believe seeing any official confirmations when it comes to price for the next Battle Pass, would love to see one for it being $20 too.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with it to cut down on frustration so long as its a temporarily measure while they build the back end to introduce and proper punish and ban system for repeat team killers. I'm just worried thats not whats happening.

Honestly, I've forgotten what it was like to play without it.

I do hope they put it back in soon, with a system like you've noted.

Cronnie

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh and yeah agreed on the teamkilling front, I've gotten used to it by now but still would much rather prefer it back in the game, explosives were good enough with it on, with it off it gets a bit ridiculous how easily someone can spam rockets while their squad mate pushes with a shotgun.

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
Actually, that's a good point. I totally forgot they did that. In that case, $20 sounds like a safe bet.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They should add a meter count to the shotgun, sometimes I feel like I'm sniping with the thing doing 100+ damage with a headshot from far as hell.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that would just clutter up the kill feed a bit, if you feel the shotgun has too far of a range then thats a conversation we can have, or share video evidence. I think many would agree the pump spread can be widened a bit. We don't need it to be represented as an in game metric as proof.

Nov 13, 2017
I'd be ok with them adding it as an option. Just add a "distance in kill feed" option and give people 3 options.

Snipers
All Guns
Off

It'd be neat to see how far your kills are with things like the crossbow, rocket launcher, magnum, etc.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had good games this weekend. Got my 4th and 5th Squad win.

Found out that I actually prefer Duos over Squads though.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I think the outcry over MMR being implemented is really overreaction. [...] Anyway, I am willing to wait to see what they say about the system before condemning it.

Yup. We don't even know what their implementation looks like, people are just assuming it will be straight SBMM - the kind that flattens skill spread - when it can be pretty much anything. As I said before, my read from it is that they want to get more consistent skill spreads, and that would be a good thing, IMO.

Found out that I actually prefer Duos over Squads though.

Duos with a good friend is generally a blast, because it's much easier to actually coordinate and have a great time.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Dubz

Nov 3, 2017
Los Angeles
Holy fucking shit this game is super deep. I was playing without really getting into the building aspect too much, which is obviously not what you should do. I mean I would build walls as shields in firefights, but not to the extent of what I'm seeing on top streamers streams. These guys are on another level. It's like watching top players in fighting games and realizing you're never going to approach that level.

I'm playing on PS4 and I'm wondering if it's even possible to build as fast as the PC guys. I'm sure it's not possible, but do people get close?

ballisticola

Nov 1, 2017
Shotguns are the embarrassment of this game. 9 times out of 10 I'm getting killed by them from disgusting ranges. We speak about it everyday yet they do nothing about it. They've only just responded to double pumps, and they made one awful attempt at nerfing them in one patch, and it made no difference. The worst thing about it is, I'm now carrying one above a pistol (which I'd rather be using), because the game is forcing it on you.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man they need to fix this RNG shooting ASAP.

Was shooting at this guy who was barely moving with the SCAR, my reticle was at his center of body mass the entire time and the game only registered my initial shot. It said all other shots missed.

Why do they need to go through these Shooting Tests? Just make that the current game, plays so much better.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Man they need to fix this RNG shooting ASAP.

Was shooting at this guy who was barely moving with the SCAR, my reticle was at his center of body mass the entire time and the game only registered my initial shot. It said all other shots missed.

Why do they need to go through these Shooting Tests? Just make that the current game, plays so much better.
Such a drastic change in gameplay needs to be properly tested + get more feedback from the people who play the game since them getting rid of RNG bullets would change the way the game is played. Better to have them take their time doing this than slapping together a "fix" that would make the game possibly less enjoyable to play

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, this game is fun! Decide for fun to try it, and i can say it got something. Its my first time im playing this genre of battle royal game. 17th is my best so far. But i dont see myself doing better, the building aspect of the game will require me a lot of practice...

Do they plan to release a mode without the building aspect? I know, its part of the game and i should look at other games if i dont want that, but i like the look and style of it, reason why i think im gonna stick with this one for now.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
Ok, this game is fun! Decide for fun to try it, and i can say it got something. Its my first time im playing this genre of battle royal game. 17th is my best so far. But i dont see myself doing better, the building aspect of the game will require me a lot of practice...

Do they plan to release a mode without the building aspect? I know, its part of the game and i should look at other games if i dont want that, but i like the look and style of it, reason why i think im gonna stick with this one for now.
The building is a really important aspect of this game, and it isn't that hard to get the hang of. Of course, you're not going to get to streamer level without a ton of time and effort, but getting to competency doesn't take that much work. I suggest just taking a couple of games where you drop in the woods or the mire and get yourself a ton of wood, and just build and see what you can do. I'd consider basic competence being able to throw down a 1x1 fort (4 walls, a ramp) reasonably quickly when you get shot at, and being able to add levels to it without much difficulty. And some basic editing.

Be sure to drop into towns to get used to the gunplay too. Those crowded beginnings will teach you how to land and how all the guns feel, as well as give a good idea of what situations each type of gun is good for. Good luck!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with building is that it's such an integral part of the game that even getting around will become outright broken without it. You hear a chest in an attic, what do you do? You can't build up to it, no way to get it unless you just landed on the roof. Building has a learning curve to it and it's not the most intuitive thing at first so I understand why every newcomer looks into wanting something like that, but it would just be a shell of a game doing that.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
The building is a really important aspect of this game, and it isn't that hard to get the hang of. Of course, you're not going to get to streamer level without a ton of time and effort, but getting to competency doesn't take that much work. I suggest just taking a couple of games where you drop in the woods or the mire and get yourself a ton of wood, and just build and see what you can do. I'd consider basic competence being able to throw down a 1x1 fort (4 walls, a ramp) reasonably quickly when you get shot at, and being able to add levels to it without much difficulty. And some basic editing.

Be sure to drop into towns to get used to the gunplay too. Those crowded beginnings will teach you how to land and how all the guns feel, as well as give a good idea of what situations each type of gun is good for. Good luck!

Thanks for these tips! I think i will do as you said, trying to build some stuff for practicing. I sure suck atm, but sometime i continue watching the game and i see all these player building like crazy...its like holy shit. Its part of the game, i guess i need to practice it a oittle bit.

As for gun practice, i found myself a little trick to arm myself and get into fight early, is always dropping in the prison, trying to get to know some parts of the maps rather than dropping randomly everywhere. By playing like that, i offen do top 25, and just did a better game, finishing 15. I sure need to know and practice the weapons more.

This game is sure very fun. Wasent expecting it :) .

Nov 13, 2017
Because it's... FORTnite. Building is the most fundamental part of the game. Seems strange to want to play Fortnite without it. The shooting model (hitscan) is pretty basic, so you need building to add depth to the game. I don't really see what removing the building would do for the game except make it feel extremely basic.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems odd that you'd want to gut the game of half of its systems, even as just an LTM i can't imagine it'd be much fun. Much better to focus on the games strengths and have LTMs that are interesting takes on the game instead of just removing what makes Fortnite Fortnite for varieties sake. Building is also the counter to many of the games plays, including rocket spam that you do like to complain about.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's... FORTnite. Building is the most fundamental part of the game. Seems strange to want to play Fortnite without it. The shooting model (hitscan) is pretty basic, so you need building to add depth to the game. I don't really see what removing the building would do for the game except make it feel extremely basic.

Even the PVE has some maps where building is not really part of it.

Kinda reminds me of people dismissing fortnite PVP quickly.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems odd that you'd want to gut the game of half of its systems, even as just an LTM i can't imagine it'd be much fun. Much better to focus on the games strengths and have LTMs that are interesting takes on the game instead of just removing what makes Fortnite Fortnite for varieties sake. Building is also the counter to many of the games plays, including rocket spam that you do like to complain about.

Im just beginning with this game, its the part im not handly well enough, i might change my mind longer i play with it. Without it, this game feel like Borderlands for me except your one vs all, its where i really like it. Im practicing it a bit, and if i want to win one game ( manage to finish top 10 twice so far! ) But so far im having fun with it even if i barely touch the build aspect of it. I wouldnt say no to a fort-less mode. Maybe in should have to try PUBG to feel what its like, but the visual style of Fortnite make me love it and stick with it. I just fell when i see top player building i will never achieve that level of speed.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hey folks, just started this on PS4 (Pro, for specifics), and while I like the a lot of what the game is doing, there are a few things not quite clicking.

Foremost in my mind is the intense lag and rubberbanding. This is really killing my enjoyment. I played three games-- two duos and one squad, and throughout each game, there was this incessant lag that caused me to lose footing and stop sprinting and generally fail at responding well to engagements (got a total of two kills in those three games, both due only to the element of surprise). I never have lag issues with other games, and I'm set to connect to the server nearest to me, to which it says I've got 30 ms ping, but it sure doesn't feel like it. I'll try some port forwarding, but do you folks have any suggestions for, explanations of, or just similar experiences with this issue?

Secondly... the whole bunnyhopping business and playing against keyboard/mouse users. There's nothing I can do, is there?

On the positive side, my squad came third in our first squad game, though the three of us (fourth guy died right after landing) only managed to kill one person. After seeing the final two teams go at each other in spectate (a lot of stair building and rocket spamming), I'm amazed we made it as far as we did.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there are any kB/m users on PS4. Is that even possible? If there are then I haven't come across anybody yet who has appeared to be using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.