Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, though likely in the second half of the year is my guess. The only special thing you get is a really ugly ass Umbrella variant for owning one of the founders packs in Battle Royale. You can however grind V-bucks in PVE that can be spend in either the PVE or PVP store, however it wouldn't really be cost effective to do so unless the game was on sale and you enjoy the PVE portion. The PVE side is fun, but has quiet a few flaws and sees work done at a slower pace than Battle Royale, but you also get the sense its a more complex thing to work on. They are developed by two different teams.

Hm. I kinda do wanna try the PVE because it looks interesting but

hmm

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I kinda do wanna try the PVE because it looks interesting but

hmm
I bought the base founders pack and felt like i got my moneys worth before i tired of its formula, just know the homebase meta is a big criticism but there is still a lot of fun to be had. I think I mentioned this last time you asked but it was my podcast game for quite awhile, i just throw on something in the back ground to listen to or watch and zone out while playing a few missions and had quite a bit of fun. Though the game does have a campaign with some charming characters and dialogue. Game takes zero communication, people never really seem to troll one another and play with a good spirit in my experience. Fun, but flawed, and some upcoming changes they've talked about sound like positive additions, like the revamped stamina system. I have hopes the game will continue to see more and more improvements, though at a somewhat slow pace, but i'm not sure it'll ever be anything more than simply good, never amazing.

Save the World does seem to go one sale with some regularity, waiting for one may not be a bad idea if you're on the fence.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I paid 30 for the PvE section and have made around 6k vbucks and I'm not even halfway through the campaign. It pays for itself IF you enjoy it because it's time consuming and repetitive but there is tons of stuff to unlock and level.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing you also like very lengthy progression. Fortnite is probably a good fit for you if you enjoy the gameplay.

Yeah, a while back I was looking for a repeatable game to play(Something along the vein of borderlands/diablo 3 but not borderlands because I got tired of the story) and Fortnite was a suggestion, but I remember not going for it because I didn't like the idea of a separate launcher. And y'know, while in rome..

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Seems becoming a pink bear has boosted my skill levels into unseen territory. People like me way better too!

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I paid 30 for the PvE section and have made around 6k vbucks and I'm not even halfway through the campaign. It pays for itself IF you enjoy it because it's time consuming and repetitive but there is tons of stuff to unlock and level.
6k?! Hot damn I need to jump back into that, only played a handful of levels before trying BR and haven't been back to it since. It is feasible to get through solo or are teammates required?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I might just have to drop into some live BR matches and focus on building shit until someone kills me

That's what I did. Landed, harvested a bunch of stuff, got into a fight and did nothing but build defensively to stall the fight as long as possible. Five or six matches later, I had defensive building down pat to a point where I could do it without thinking.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
6k?! Hot damn I need to jump back into that, only played a handful of levels before trying BR and haven't been back to it since. It is feasible to get through solo or are teammates required?
Some defenses get tough alone but just make the game publicado and people join. I rarely communicate with the randoms. Everyone knows what to do.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Jumping into my first match ever. Hell there is no tutorial? I'm fucked for a while then right?
I mean, all you need to know is on that loading screen.
hqdefault.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure how much vbucks I've earned over time. Likely way more than 6k. There really isn't a cap. There is actually a login bonus around day 100 where you get 1k vbucks just for logging in.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah so I camped my first match as I found a shotgun right away and heard footsteps everywhere. I was killed easily haha.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Reason 101 I hate shotguns

I'm camping behind a wall with a dude running right for me (he has no idea I'm there)

Jump out

90 damage and he has no shield
He reflex shoots back
Kills me in one hit

I had 200

What the fuck

Nov 13, 2017
We all learned the same way :).
I probably watched people stream the game for a week before I started. I was still playing PUBG at the time.

I was learning the game vicariously through other people learning the game. Learned how to spot chests (and where they are generally located), how the various guns performed, and went from there. This is not an easy game to learn on your own.

Interestingly, I found PUBG a much easier game to get into going in blind. A lot of people might go into Fortnite expecting all the loot to be floor loot.... and that can screw you for a while until you learn about the chest locations.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How do you make those ramps I see everyone make? Im just building these walls.
There are 4 building pieces to cycle through. You really just need to focus on ramps and walls to build most things like towers or bases, but floors can help if you need to cross a gap or as a little extra reinforcement. You can also edit pieces to create doors, stairwells, archways etc - probably best to ignore this until you're comfortable with just the basics. The 4th piece (pyramid) can be useful, but is a little more advanced, you can do easy reverse ramps, corner pieces for bases and other techniques with this.

I would focus on just landing in a named area and worrying about getting to grips with the combat at first, and then every now and then heading somewhere quiet, gathering resources and practice building. Just a simple tower, or a 2x2 base. Practice putting them up fast, and thats the basic skills you'll need to make it to the end game, and eventually start winning matches.

Nov 13, 2017
I don't even have the pyramid bound. It's useful on console to edit into a ramp so you have walls and ramps right next to each other for quick switching.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly just use the pyramid to annoy my friend by building it over him at inopportune times.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of vBuck rate are you looking at via PvE farming?

Also if someone got the physical fortnite release on ps4, would that unlock PvE? Could you do the same if you picked it up used, or is it just a code inside?

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be in the Playstation Store for free so long as you have PS+. They often do these bonuses for free to play games.

3gziAai.png

Seems kind of funny to make it "PS Plus Exclusive" when you need PS Plus to play the game anyways.

Can we hotkey stuff to the left or right key on PS4 D-Pad? I haven't gotten around to looking at the menu, but I think it would be nice if we could hotkey building stuff. Left D-Pad for walls and Right D-Pad for stairs for what ever matierals you have previously selected. You are automatically put into build mode of course so then you could change materials afterward, but it would help when someone gets the jump on you as I usually fumble about switching to build mode.

Doesn't the touch pad have individual left and right side as well? I would like to put inventory up there so that Up D-Pad could be floors/ceilings as well.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. Change of heart?

Oh, damnit! I had 1,000 V-bucks but just bought the 200 V-buck true love emote, but its pretty rad, and i can grind some from PVE. Great news either way, but a bit surprising, perhaps a bit of a way to make up for the end of season 2 being a bit rocky.
Seems kind of funny to make it "PS Plus Exclusive" when you need PS Plus to play the game anyways.
You don't need PS+ to play free to play games.

Last edited:

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I quite understand what they mean by that.. V-bucks are purchased with real money. Are they just saying you can't buy specifically the battle pass for $10 on psn, but still have to pay ~$10 for 950 v-bucks?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I quite understand what they mean by that.. V-bucks are purchased with real money. Are they just saying you can't buy specifically the battle pass for $10 on psn, but still have to pay ~$10 for 950 v-bucks?
Initially they were not going to allow the Season 3 Battle Pass to be purchasable with V-bucks, as its the main monetization system of Battle Royale and there are other ways of earning V-bucks, including earning 1,200 (or so) V-Bucks from the Season 2 Battle Pass, and plenty from Save the World. They stated when they announced the Battle Pass program that only the first one would be available through V-Bucks as an introductory price to the system, and the rest would be via a direct purchase. So for plenty of us this announcement means we won't have to pay anything for the Season 3 Battle Pass, for everyone else it means it'll just be a $10 purchase which it was going to be anyway. In fact, we were actually going under the impression it was going to be $20 due to some wording of the Season 2 Battle Pass.

Last edited:

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Nice I remember it saying something like this is introductory offer, and would be twice as much later, but the wording confused me a bit.

When you say earning 1200 or so v-bucks from s2bp, is that assuming you make it to tier 70?

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
One thing they said was it would not be purchasable for Vbucks in season 3. I figured it was cause so many people had a bunch from PvE(like me) but they probably figured they are making so much money there was no reason do do that. It's also a god way for people tyo use up the pve vbucks and buy more lol.

Nov 13, 2017
I'm guessing they were going to offer the battle pass in the store directly and NOT let you use your current VBucks to purchase it. This way, you can still use VBucks that you earn from PVE to get a BR battle pass. Kinda nice.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nice I remember it saying something like this is introductory offer, and would be twice as much later, but the wording confused me a bit.

When you say earning 1200 or so v-bucks from s2bp, is that assuming you make it to tier 70?
yes, i don't recall the exact amount but i believe it was 1,200.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like playing the PvE will improve my BR game ! I might cop.
If anything it might do the opposite. PvE doesn't allow you to tweak your aiming and scope sensitivities, so they're gonna be way more sensitive than what you're used to in BR. It's also going to be a lot slower getting around because of the stamina meter. I actually regret my StW purchase honestly, but I guess I did get a founder's umbrella skin for BR so I guess that's something.

You don't need to use the launcher at all btw.
Wait, what?! This changes everything.

Seems becoming a pink bear has boosted my skill levels into unseen territory. People like me way better too!
I've actually been performing better since getting the Canadian skier skin as I usually used one of the variants of the defaults. Placebo? Some psychological intimidation on my opponents seeing a premium skin? Maybe I'm just getting better? I'm willing to place it more on the first two.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I feel the battlepass has ruined a lot of my fun with FN in the last 2 months. Being focused on things like pistol kills really hampers the free-form fun of the game.

I think I'll just stick with buying cosmetics that I like from here on out.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel the battlepass has ruined a lot of my fun with FN in the last 2 months. Being focused on things like pistol kills really hampers the free-form fun of the game.

The new Battle Pass is going to give the quests out weekly, so at least we can focus more on them at our own pace which should help it feel a little less grindy, which i do really appreciate. I actually really like going for pistol or SMG kills when i get it, its the squad or solo requirements that bother me, as it limits how and who we can play with, but there has been a lot of push back against that, even just this week, so i have a feeling we may see that addressed.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the v-bucks per hour on PvE? How bad of a grind is it?
If memory serves me right you earn quite a few off the initial stages of the campaign but then its more about daily challenges, quests and some seasonal events, like kill 4 mimics for 30 V-bucks, complete 4 quests as an Outlander for 50, finishing off the higher levels of your storm shield defence for 100, that sort of thing. There are also daily login rewards with a weekly bonus that is usually 150 V-bucks, sometimes 300, and i even got 800 once (i believe around the 100 day mark). I wouldn't purchase it with the intent to grind V-bucks for PVP, i would buy it if you think PVE is going to be enjoyable for you with the added bonus that you'll earn V-bucks that you can spend in either store.

If you'd like my opinion on it, this is what i said on it last time someone asked: "It is quite fun, it feels mostly like a large expansion on their Horde formula only with a lot more character so most missions are structured with you defending an objective or yourselves against a group or waves of enemies utilizing building and traps, but prior to that will be a resource gathering, scavenging and setup phase, there are some random little missions that you can encounter during, and most levels will take place on a randomly generated self contained map of a small to medium size. Missions last between 10-15 minutes on average. There is also the entire homebase meta where you'll level up your heroes, survivors and schematics that you use to craft weapons and traps, however this is the games biggest weakness, its initially clunky and convoluted and progression can feel very slow at times. I still put in about 100 hours or so before tiring of its formula however, and do go back for its usually excellent special events or the odd game here and there, and feel i easily got my moneys worth for the founders pack i purchased even if i didn't play it for quite as long as i was hoping. They have discussed some up coming changes that sound exciting though, like revamping the stamina system. The last dev update mentioned they still have a lot of work they want to do before releasing it as free to play, especially on the back end, i'd wager it'll be in the second half of the year.

I do find it to be the perfect podcast game, you can just zone out and play a few missions with something on in the background and have a good time."

Last edited:

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017

I feel you. Because you want to feel like you get the full "value" of the battle pass it entices you to play daily to do the daily quests, but if it something like Survive until top X or out live X Hundred people I just drop somewhere and hid while I browse twitter or watch a youtube video on my phone. I only play seriously on the weekend.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you. Because you want to feel like you get the full "value" of the battle pass it entices you to play daily to do the daily quests, but if it something like Survive until top X or out live X Hundred people I just drop somewhere and hid while I browse twitter or watch a youtube video on my phone. I only play seriously on the weekend.
After abandoning a squad-related challenge for a week straight now only to get another squad-related challenge in its place, and getting a second one on top of it, I'm now in a squad game as a solo player with the game alt-tabbed out as I'm hiding in some spot hoping that by the time I end up dying I'm in top 12. I have to do this 5 times. Because the game just insists on me doing squads.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The quests for Season 3 will be given out weekly now, not daily, at least for the Battle Pass. So you can work on them more at your own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.