• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
Ok I'm finally jumping in
Got my guitars ready (series x)
I'm a loooongtime rock band veteran
So I'm skeptical if I'm going to get into this
But I'm always curious to try new rhythm experiences
I was a huge fan of Rock Band Blitz so I hope it works out
I'm salty about no more rock band dlc haha

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
I cant get this to work at all, works fine in menus and such on ps5(with ps4 rock band controller)but when i play a song it says to switch input. No amount of button mashing seems to fix it like some have had in this thread

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I'm one of those Rock Band players who obsessively played Pro Drums for more than a decade... I refused to come to Fortnite (I dislike it and everything related to it) to play Rock Band after they stopped with the DLC...but...I tried...

Damn, this is very well done!

I love the system, playing a little bit of songs to do some missions. Then I go to the Jam sessions for the daily missions while I do other things, also it being a good reason to listen to the instruments and mixes. I don't even mind playing it on my keyboard because I can play all the songs on all instruments and have fun...I was never very good with a guitar, but with a keyboard I'm doing wonders hehe.

I wish the Festival Pass was A BIT bigger though and with more significant rewards. I started playing this game on tuesday and I completed the Gaga Pass yesterday, playing for an hour or less everyday. Now I'm starting fresh with the new Season 3 on launch day...and I guess I will be done with it quickly...and...then... Will I be playing for months without unlocking anything? How does this work?

Well, I have two questions:

- Do the arrow notes give me points? I found out I can just ignore them...but...will I get a better score if I hit all of them? These notes are so confussing and it is my only complain, gameplay wise.

- Can I do the jam sessions by myself? Or it is online only? I want to do my own mixes but I can just use one instrument and wait for some random guy to add another.

If Fortnite Festival adds ION Drum Rocker support....omg...I will be so back to this plastic drum addiction. But... I'm having a lot of fun playing on a keyboard anyway.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017

- Do the arrow notes give me points? I found out I can just ignore them...but...will I get a better score if I hit all of them? These notes are so confussing and it is my only complain, gameplay wise.

They are basically pull-off notes and you have to hit them to continue your streak. They trigger by releasing the button on them which is probably why you didn't even notice.

- Can I do the jam sessions by myself? Or it is online only? I want to do my own mixes but I can just use one instrument and wait for some random guy to add another.

No, you can only do one audio track at a time, unfortunately. If you are on PC you can look into Fuser, which has been archived after it's delisting. Acai has a video on how to set it up with mod support.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Did they stop giving each season a name? I thought that was a cute touch for the first two seasons.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
No, you can only do one audio track at a time, unfortunately. If you are on PC you can look into Fuser, which has been archived after it's delisting. Acai has a video on how to set it up with mod support.

WHAT? didn;t know about this... I bought A LOT of Fuser DLC on Xbox before they closed everything but I would love to have this alive again on PC. Will look for this immediately. Thank you :)

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well bummer, I was expecting to whip out my old (PS3) guitars and rock out tonight... oh well.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
My thoughts after playing pro guitar for 2 hours

It's definitely a beta and underbaked for right now. There's some very big annoyances which I hope are not intentional with this engine.

First off. You can't strum then fret like you can with other guitar hero's and rock bands. Usually there's a couple frames where you can strum then press a button. That is not here so you may miss notes you're used to hitting until you adjust.

Second: hammer ons are completely broken if you strum them. Meaning if you press the button and strum when a hammer on's hit window is active, it MISSES the note due to it hitting the hammer on without the strum first, and it counts the strum as an over strike. I personally strum some hammer-ons just for rhythm purposes, and to auto regain streak if I fuck up, but this makes it not possible.

Whammy currently doesn't do anything (was noted in patch notes)

Also the controller situation for this sucks ass and makes me sad. Thank god retro cult mods and their adaptors for quickly patching them to work.

I hope they can fix these first two points cause it makes it so much more frustrating to play than rock band 4.

That said the hit window is like rock band 4's and not clone hero's so it has a higher skill ceiling as some hammer-ons can be very hard to hit in this engine

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
That said ill enjoy my high leaderboard's while they last (these arnt even that good of scores im super rusty)

image.png

image.png

image.png

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
Second: hammer ons are completely broken if you strum them. Meaning if you press the button and strum when a hammer on's hit window is active, it MISSES the note due to it hitting the hammer on without the strum first, and it counts the strum as an over strike. I personally strum some hammer-ons just for rhythm purposes, and to auto regain streak if I fuck up, but this makes it not possible.

That's going to throw me off. Really hope they fix that soon.

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
If they do it'll come when a new season starts, we've already seen them push back a fix for an actual glitch because they didn't want to reset leaderboards a few days in and any gameplay changes could invalidate previous scores.
eh that glitch actually affected scores. This just fucks people over. I think it's something that could be fixed and not wait for the next season

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
Here's a question:

Are any of the now-compatible guitars one with a clicky strum bar or do they all have the usual soft strum bar?
with roll limitless, retro cult mod adaptor, or santroller pico, you can use a click strum bar controller. Been using my Wii world tour controller on pc with retro cult mod v3 adaptor

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
Ah, no way on Xbox or PS, I assume?
Roll limitless works on Xbox and PS per their discord and some little testing I did on Xbox.

Retro cult mods the maker says it doesn't work but I've heard mixed responses some have been able to get it to work on Xbox

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
eh that glitch actually affected scores. This just fucks people over. I think it's something that could be fixed and not wait for the next season

It still changes the gameplay though, which is why I'd think they'd wait. They also waited until season 2 before fixing the activations hitting every note in the hit window, and that's a pretty similar thing.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Glad they responded to this fast.

Hopefully we see custom keybinding during this season and we don't have to wait until Season 4. Enabling that shouldn't break leaderboards.

You would think adding new controller support wouldn't so maybe it would come in the mid-season update? All they really need to do is expand the types of devices the game looks for when allowing the options to show up and they should already have all those device/vendor IDs from when they did the same for the Rock Band games.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Retrocultmods v3 Wii guitar adapter is working after updating it with the caveat I have to keep my Xbox series pad plugged into the thing, what a weird setup lol

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
Retrocultmods v3 Wii guitar adapter is working after updating it with the caveat I have to keep my Xbox series pad plugged into the thing, what a weird setup lol
once it's authenticated and working and shows pro modes in lobby you're good to unplug the Xbox controller btw

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Pleased at how easy it was to get my Xbox Strat working on PC. That said, I'm missing a lot of notes that I feel I shouldn't, lol. I think it's a calibration thing, but I made sure to recalibrate before playing any songs, so 🤷‍♂️

Hoping someone's able to get the 360 Les Paul working soon though.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador

sorry for replying again... I just installed it. Wooooow! it worked and it even has customs! I loved this game so much and I am so happy now. It runs soooo much better on PC than on Xbox.

Thank you very much again. I'm so happy that I asked.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
That said ill enjoy my high leaderboard's while they last (these arnt even that good of scores im super rusty)

image.png
There I am lol

It sucks how my game was perfectly calibrated for normal controllers but it was awful for my RB4 Strat. I'm struggling to get it to feel right. I'm on series x so maybe it'll feel better on pc when I get my Riffmaster tomorrow. I'm missing the easiest notes.

Also I think it's dumb that they don't show the 'Perfect' popups on the side. It's making it harder for me to understand the hit times along with the calibration. I know there's a sparkle under the note when you hit a perfect but it's so hard to see with everything going on.

There's that rapidfire string of red notes towards the end on sandstorm that I apparently cannot hit a single note on even though I'm spamming up/down strumming. What gives? This is why I have always preferred Guitar Hero. Those games just have a better feel.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
There's that rapidfire string of red notes towards the end on sandstorm that I apparently cannot hit a single note on even though I'm spamming up/down strumming. What gives? This is why I have always preferred Guitar Hero. Those games just have a better feel.

The console games have always had a shrinking back-end window, meaning if you have two notes close enough to be in the hit window together the closest note's back half of its timing window will be reduced by half of the distance to the next note. And at least in Rock Band, there's no lower limit so if notes are close enough together it's possible that the back-end window of a note could be as low as 0. So this would make it where the note has to be played early or else you miss.

So if Festival carries the same kind of logic, that section could be only playable by hitting the notes early. Rock Band's timing window was always somewhere around 80-90ms, so each note is really only given 40-45ms. Harmonix has always been very strict when it comes to timings in their games, Neversoft's games were always much more lenient.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
The game is unplayable with the rb4 strat right now on PS5, a ton of bugs prevent controller registration, unsolvable lag, and the game failing to recognize the guitar when the charts load. Hopefully the pc controls patch is not too far away so I can play with my explorer.

Instrument Controller FAQ New
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
6ee1Sy4.png
  • Q: What kinds of instrument controllers are currently supported?
    A: At this time, only guitar controllers are supported in Fortnite Festival, for use with Pro Lead and Pro Bass song charts.
  • Q: Is support for drums, microphones, and keys coming in the future?
    A: Drum support is coming in a later update. Other kinds of controllers / inputs are currently unconfirmed and unlikely to be supported, as song files in-game only include charts for guitar and drum peripherals.
  • Q: What platforms support music instrument controllers?
    A: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC.​
  • Q: What controllers are officially supported?
    A: See the table below for information on officially supported controllers.​
PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4​
Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One​
PC​
RIFFMASTER Wireless Guitar Controller for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4
✅​
Rock Band 4 Rivals Wireless Fender™ Jaguar Guitar for PlayStation 4
✅​
Rock Band 4 Wireless Fender™ Stratocaster™ Guitar for PlayStation 4
✅​
RIFFMASTER Wireless Guitar Controller for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC
✅​
✅​
Rock Band 4 Rivals Wireless Fender™ Jaguar Guitar for Xbox One
✅​
Rock Band 4 Wireless Fender™ Stratocaster™ Guitar for Xbox One
✅​
  • Q: Will support for other guitar controllers be added in the future?
    A: Harmonix and Epic Games are looking into expanding controller support in the future.
  • Q: I have the Rock Band 4 Legacy Adapter for Xbox One. Does it work with Fortnite Festival?
    A: No.
  • Q: I have the Guitar Hero II wired X-Plorer controller for Xbox 360. Does it work with Fortnite Festival?
  • A: Officially and by default, no. However, it should work if you use the Roll Limitless or Roll Limitless Mini adapter. See below for information on that.
  • Q: I have a Guitar Hero Live guitar. Is there a way to get it to work with Fortnite Festival?
  • A:
    uU4MlUr.gif
  • Q: I have a guitar controller that currently isn't officially supported. Am I out of luck?
    A: Not necessarily. Community-made solutions have been devised over the years for games such as Clone Hero, and thankfully, several of these are compatible with Fortnite Festival, allowing you to use controllers from the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii era of rhythm games.
    • If you're playing on PC, the FestivalInstrumentMapper app allows you to use many different guitar controllers with the PC version of Fortnite Festival, including the PlayStation version of the Riffmaster (as long as it's in PS5 mode).
    • The Roll Limitless / Roll Limitless Mini adapter can be used with Fortnite Festival on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Series X|S, and PC, allowing you to use any Roll Limitless-compatible guitar with the game on those platforms. Your Roll Limitless must be updated to the Fortnite Festival Pro firmware (listed under Guitar and then Universal), and you must follow the steps outlined below depending on your platform. (Steps copied and pasted from the Roll Limitless Discord server's #information channel)
      • PS4 & PS5: By default, the Roll Limitless mimics a PS3 guitar, and this won't work in Fortnite Festival. The Roll Limitless has an alternative native PS4 mode, and this is compatible with Fortnite Festival. Plug a USB Hub into the Roll Limitless, and plug both a compatible 3rd party PS4 controller and guitar into the hub, and the Roll Limitless will automatically switch to acting like a PS4 guitar. The PS4 controller must stay plugged into the Roll Limitless while the Roll Limitless is being used. More information, including a list of compatible controllers, can be found here. If you're in the US, the PS4 Nacon Mini is probably the best pick for a controller.
      • Xbox One, Series X|S, & PC: Fortnite Festival on these platforms all only accept Xbox RB4 guitars, and the steps to get it working are the same on Xbox and PC. Plug an Xbox One/Series controller into the USB-A port Roll Limitless, and plug the microusb port of the Roll Limitless into the Xbox/PC. After a few seconds, a green light should appear near the microusb port of the Roll Limitless, indicating it is ready to use. You can now unplug the controller and plug in the guitar. Alternatively, you can plug a USB Hub into the Roll Limitless, and plug both the controller and guitar into the hub.
    • If you're using a Wii guitar, the RetroCultMods V3 adapter works with Fortnite Festival as long as you use the latest version of the RCM Programming Tool. Click here for a complete guide.
If any of the information above is found to be outdated or incorrect, or if there's something new that you think should be added, please tag me so that I can add it to this post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
And with that, my update of the OT for Season 3 is done, and I need to go the fuck to bed lol

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The game is unplayable with the rb4 strat right now on PS5, a ton of bugs prevent controller registration, unsolvable lag, and the game failing to recognize the guitar when the charts load. Hopefully the pc controls patch is not too far away so I can play with my explorer.

I didn't have any issues with any of that when I played with my RB4 Strat on PS5. I had the swap devices thing pop up but that's apparently an issue when you use the controller to ready up instead of the guitar.

Set up your playlist and your tuning "backstage" with a controller but use the guitar to ready up. As long as you don't touch the controller again you should be fine steering all navigation with the guitar. They don't have a way to move or select songs purely from guitar which is a dumb decision so now we have this swap device stupidity.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks Lukar.

Here's hoping someone can get the RB4 PS4 Strat working on PC as I don't have the free funds for one of the new controllers just yet.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece

If Fortnite Festival adds ION Drum Rocker support....omg...I will be so back to this plastic drum addiction. But... I'm having a lot of fun playing on a keyboard anyway.
The arrows matter. You aren't missing them cause they have 2 ways to use. Pressing on them or holding the previous note and releasing on the arrow.
And you can jam alone. When you are on the main menu it says on the top FILL. Press up and it becomes NO FILL and you are alone.
I am sure they will add drums cause they added a lot of songs with iconic drum sets/Seven Nation Army and Get Down With The Sickness/

Pierogi Mage

One Winged Slayer
Dec 7, 2017
How do i get back to the calibration screen on ps5? I accidently just clicked through it and trying to manually do it through the options screen is a pain

Macello

Oct 25, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
I wish the Festival Pass was A BIT bigger though and with more significant rewards. I started playing this game on tuesday and I completed the Gaga Pass yesterday, playing for an hour or less everyday. Now I'm starting fresh with the new Season 3 on launch day...and I guess I will be done with it quickly...and...then... Will I be playing for months without unlocking anything? How does this work?
Last season the Ramp It Up quest had some good long term rewards (an emote and an instrument at least) but this season doesn't show any real reward, so I'm guessing they might add them tomorrow? If not, then no, the battle pass is the only thing you're working on.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Last season the Ramp It Up quest had some good long term rewards (an emote and an instrument at least) but this season doesn't show any real reward, so I'm guessing they might add them tomorrow? If not, then no, the battle pass is the only thing you're working on.
There are other rewards on another tab, an emoticon, mic and keytar

Bravo

Aug 21, 2022
Does tilt-to-deploy (tilting the guitar to activate overdrive) work for others on PS5 with the Riffmaster? When I was trying it yesterday nothing happened which forced me to use use left on the dpad to activate overdrive.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Does tilt-to-deploy (tilting the guitar to activate overdrive) work for others on PS5 with the Riffmaster? When I was trying it yesterday nothing happened which forced me to use use left on the dpad to activate overdrive.

With my RB4 strat I had to tilt like 3-4 times for it to activate correctly the first time, after that I never had an issue. I'm not sure it's picking the tilt up correctly if you start the game holding the guitar neck upwards already.

Bravo

Aug 21, 2022
I'm not sure it's picking the tilt up correctly if you start the game holding the guitar neck upwards already.
I think I did see some mention of that before which I had also taken into account when trying.

After several Festival lobbies, tilt to deploy suddenly worked and was consistently working for a bit but at some point I got the "SWAP DEVICE" message above the note highway. When that happened I just touched something on the Dualsense controller and then pressed something on the Riffmaster and the message went away but tilt wasn't working anymore.
The left d-pad overdrive activation has also been inconsistent. Some sessions it works perfectly. Other sessions it doesn't do anything so I just can't activate overdrive at all.

Hoping I'm not the only one having these issues so that they could potentially be fixed.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I think I did see some mention of that before which I had also taken into account when trying.

After several Festival lobbies, tilt to deploy suddenly worked and was consistently working for a bit but at some point I got the "SWAP DEVICE" message above the note highway. When that happened I just touched something on the Dualsense controller and then pressed something on the Riffmaster and the message went away but tilt wasn't working anymore.
The left d-pad overdrive activation has also been inconsistent. Some sessions it works perfectly. Other sessions it doesn't do anything so I just can't activate overdrive at all.

Hoping I'm not the only one having these issues so that they could potentially be fixed.

So swap device is weird. I couldn't get it to go away once in game either. Touching the dualsense didn't work for me BUT I found that once I set everything up backstage and songs are picked I will use the guitar to ready up and from then on I don't get the swap devices prompt again.

It has issues bouncing back and forth between them but if you start in guitar mode it shouldn't bounce you out.