• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its f2p, has the hooks of a battleground game, is fast paced and quick and the developers have been great on making the game better. The speed at which they update the game is something I really like compared to the slow ass development of PUBG. Its gaining a lot of traction for sure.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
It's f2p, which is always a huge, huge plus (see LOL, HS and many more) and PS4 doesn't have PUBG.

Personally, I can't see the appeal. Tried it a few times with a few friends. It's boring, unbalanced and the general "building" aspect is almost completely negligible and the game would have been better with a much bigger focus on it, or doing without it entirely.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I can't remember the last time a new game reached the zeitgeist like this. It's insane.

Check out this tweet of NFL players discussing: https://twitter.com/_bigplayslay23/status/959124742413438976

Barstool sports talks about it non stop. All my friends are playing it, the ones who used to only play sports games and COD.

Anyone else noticing this phenomenon?
Man my 13 year old cousin who plays every sport in the book and plays Mabey like an hour of a video game a week is having snap chats of fortnite. Last time he did that was Pokémon go. It's preety damn huge.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hear more about this game from casuals on twitter and in person than I hear about PUBG.

It's definitely huge.

KentaSnorlax

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's on a different level right now in terms of mainstream popularity. It's definitely more accessible than PUBG which helps.

Barstool Sports has a gaming specific instagram account that post about it all the time and it's everyone from kids to frat dudes playing it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... PUBG came out literally last year. It has had a similar or greater impact.

Also League is probably not talked much about on here, but it has and still is the most popular game out there.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to trying it when it's fully released. The normal mode interests me more, but the Battle Royale seems more interesting and polished than Pubg. I was big into UT so I trust them to make a good shooter.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
The poor Save The World dev team, when Fortnite is mentioned now, it seems to be a given that it's the BR component being talked about.

But yeah, it's free, it's damn fun, really well polished, and it's done really well at differentiating itself beyond "PUBG clone" with its take on it.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I can easily see it taking over PUBG. F2P, console availability, much less jank and better performance, a lot more accessible, attractive art style, and the building adds a lot of fun to the standard shooter formula.

Rocket riding, jump pads, stairways to heaven... the game is fun!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hear more about Fortnite than PUBG nowadays. I was surprised.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bro I have girls sending me memes about this that haven't touched a video game in their life

The game was not fun when I played it

I just got dizzy lmao

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's F2P and Fortnite is available on PS4. Not to mention Fortnite is way more polished than PUBG.

I'm a bigger fan of PUBG but it's difficult to try to deny Fortnite and Epic's success.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its honestly a phenomenon. Everyone I know is talking about, posting it on their snap story of them winning, ect.

Which I never expected when the game launched. I thought it was going to be a bomb, and felt bad for Epic.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
On public transit today, someone randomly mentioned Cuphead, Fortnite, and Dragon Ball FighterZ. When talking about Fortnite, they described it as a game everyone is playing. I didn't realize it was big enough for me to overhear in casual conversation.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hear more about fortnite than pubg. People that I know to not really play games are playing fortnite and super excited about it.

Good for them. I like the game but don't play it too much. One thing I DO like is how every time I come back it's totally different or something pretty nice was added....it's happened every time I revisited(different themes, smgs, level system, etc).

I do want pubg to come on PS4, game looks really fun too.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's also what all my CoD and FIFA friends who only played them have all jumped to. It's crazy, never seen anything pull them away from them.
I got super hooked after the big map update, game is really damn fun.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its success is pretty fascinating. I would have bet money when Epic announced the mode that it would have been seen only as a PUBG cash-in and not have any viable staying power. The combo of free to play and the stellar response from Epic in terms of quick patches and community participation has worked absolute wonders. I feel like some of the success has to be bittersweet for members of the dev team because the success of essentially an add on mode appears to have eclipsed the core design of the PvE mode.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's f2p, which is always a huge, huge plus (see LOL, HS and many more) and PS4 doesn't have PUBG.

Personally, I can't see the appeal. Tried it a few times with a few friends. It's boring, unbalanced and the general "building" aspect is almost completely negligible and the game would have been better with a much bigger focus on it, or doing without it entirely.
Holy shit this is an amazing post.

Amazing because of how clueless you are when it comes to this game. Building is completely negligible? I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I love PUBG, but I gotta admit, as much as i don't like the building aspect, seeing the last 4 people alive in solo in giant towers trying to snipe each other or rocker each other is god damn fun.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
really wish i was able to get into it. I really enjoy pubg, and liked the original fortnite... but for some reason, the BR mode looks a lot uglier to me (probably for optimization/performance), and I'm not a fan of the building, how it shoots, or the lack of first person (which is odd considering it's an Epic games game). but I'm stoked for it's success and glad the company found something big to latch onto, it felt like they were going through mud for a few years.

crazy amount of skill, but nothing in the gameplay there looked remotely appealing Lol, feels like a hassle but MAN can that guy click, that's like.. starcraft level apm! haha

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this really proofs my points. It's exactly relevant at the end. And almost only then due to being forced to move and having no benefit of building anything before, since it can simply be avoided. Apart from that it's a gimmick and nothing more.
It's hardly a gimmick when it's a main tool for mobility and the thing that absolutely differentiates it from the competition when it comes to encounters.