• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
There's also usually much more chat early on to introduce the player to all the gameplay elements. Once you're passed all that the chat is much less - at least in the other Horizon games.

Anyway. Stunning demo. So pretty on the XB1X.

And like many fellow bits just getting excited by things like correct traffic lights and road markings.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Man, I love the festival setting. It makes the whole series feel like a celebration of driving and exploring.

Oct 25, 2017
Reinstalled the game and tried to run a benchmark for ultra. Crashed again. Who the fuck makes a game that crashes rather than simply having shitty performance like every other game?

970, 8GB system RAM btw

edit: the best part is how much bullshit i have to sit through to get the game started up again

edit2: cool, crashes on high preset too

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
How's the performance in the OG XB1? Same as FH3?

Ever so slightly worse based on around a half hour of play on the base XO (Not the S). For instance when camera zooms in to allow you to select your car after the opening event, there's a little tearing in the sequence, but it's mostly very small stuff like that. Three had infrequent stutters when roaming the world and they seem even more infrequent here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This game will sell like crazy. No wonder the previews were full of praise. PG games are definitely up there with the best devs in the industry. This game will sell a lot of Xbox One X consoles this holiday.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
This reason is why to me in terms of picture quality and detail, Horizon 3 looks better than horizon 4.
Well as I am playing it now for sure its looking worse than FH3.

But I don't know if it is something off with my settings (I am still trying different options to see if I can fix the issues) or this is how the game looks right now.

Everyone else saying how stunning it is and I am playing this:

forzahorizon4demo13-su4d8v.png

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Superb game and performs amazing on One X as I guessed. The only negative are the utterly cringe-inducing cut scenes and the non talking driver.

Also if this is set in the UK, why are all the driver seats on the left? International cars?

As someone said in a Forza Forums:

Happens with all Forza games. Some cars are left, some are right. Depends what car they had access to and which cars actually are built in which configuration.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

But I don't know if it is something off with my settings (I am still trying different options to see if I can fix the issues) or this is how the game looks right now.

Without uncompressed native res images I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be looking at here as the issue. Maybe some bad AF and poor filtering of foliage? You've got to help us out here rather than just posting screenshots.

Last edited:

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game will sell like crazy. No wonder the previews were full of praise. PG games are definitely up there with the best devs in the industry. This game will sell a lot of Xbox One X consoles this holiday.
Considering this is the third Forza Horizon game on the XB1, isn't it easy to assume that most people who are really interested in this franchise have already bought in?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded it on my X but it won't launch. Loads the full screen FH4 image then quits to Home. Tried hard reset. Deleted and will redownload. Weird!

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
The most impressive thing about the demo for me is the sense of speed at 30FPS in the super car. Fantastic. And the game looks incredible.

But I'm not a fan of open world racers, and I got bored pretty quickly of FH3, so it's probably a pass for me.

But damn is it pretty.....

Oct 27, 2017

Weird, maybe a visual bug or something? Cause I can say with confidence it looks absolutely great on my X1X with HDR in 4K.

I was literally playing FH3 this morning and then played this and was able to see the difference immediately.

Downloaded it on my X but it won't launch. Loads the full screen FH4 image then quits to Home. Tried hard reset. Deleted and will redownload. Weird!

Strange, maybe try downloading to a different storage if you have an had plugged in such as the internal.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
m65TBIF.png

7 year old CPU still going strong. Stutters should go away when I install to my SSD as I had the same problem in FH3. I accidentally chose the wrong one and don't feel like reinstalling right now. +

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
7 year old CPU still going strong. Stutters should go away when I install to my SSD as I had the same problem in FH3. I accidentally chose the wrong one and don't feel like reinstalling right now. +
You can move it in Settings > Apps & Feaures > click on Forza Horizon 4 > click on move

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Without uncompressed native res JPEGs I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to be looking at here as the issue. Maybe some bad AF and poor filtering of foliage? You've got to help us out here rather than just posting screenshots.
Well as I already described the game (on me at least) has nearly constant pop in on the shadows (especially in areas with many trees the shadows are pop in and even appear/disappear very heavily) and the LOD is very, very aggressive.

The game loads good quality textures only a few meters away from the car.

Here is another uncompressed native PNG where you can see the LOD issue. The LOD is so aggressive that the grass on the hills is not even rendering until you are nearly there.

cqwglb.png

Oct 25, 2017
m65TBIF.png

You appear to have only 8GB of physical RAM. Have you messed with your virtual memory settings in some way? I'm just trying to figure out why I'm crashing and it could be a memory issue.

koshiro

Oct 27, 2017
This does seem to run a lot better on my Surface Book 2 (13" with GTX1050 card). The demo for 3 struggled to the point where I gave up on it entirely - it could barely maintain 30fps, sometimes dropping down to 24fps, it was horrific. This is kicking around between 30-50fps on medium settings, which is much more acceptable. Cutscenes (non-fmv ones) are still struggling a bit, but again not to the degree the ones in 3 were.

Only strange thing is that it doesn't seem to be locking to 30fps when I choose that option, still going variable, which makes things feel worse than they really are. Must be a bug, surely?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the previous ones these quickly become background noise and you just forget about it, even the most egregious offenders like the Aussie barn find guy from the last game. Easy to ignore.

Here though, they've really upped the ante on the characters and their interactions with you. The NPCs are by far the worst looking and sounding things in this game. Hopefully it's just introductions and then they fade into radio chatter only.

I actually thought the NPC's and RPG nature of everything was fine and serviceable, certainly wasn't awful and it's not the draw so I easily forgave it.

And yeah, once the races actually popped up there was less chatter, and the vistas are really quite lovely.

Videogames were a mistake.

Okay i'm being a little harsh there, but I really don't think, at least from this little segment, that the game is going to be as noteworthy as some other all time classic racers.

If the game was set in Japan or something I honestly think I could overlook a lot of the issue I have with it.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
the demo keeps crashing on me when I get to the end of Fall or after the jump in Spring. Don't know why.
specs are: 1060 6GB, 16GB, i5-7600

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
1. Go into forest
2. Turn off radio
3. Listen

Fucking great sound design. You can hear the fucking nature!

I figured it out. I had to grab my older v1 ds4. the newer ds4s (v2 with the light bar on top) have issues. Works great now with ds4windows.

I'm glad you got it fixed! It's odd though, my DS4 v2 works fine with GloSC through Steam.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This is going to be the greatest driving game of the generation. Beautiful.

Shame you can't visit Edinburgh though.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Had a quick spin around. Looks pretty snazzy.

Gutted the map stops at the Firth of Forth though. Any further North and I'd be able to crash into my house.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So all the "Come back in Autumn" talk...will that be in the full game?

Like will we have to wait a week to progress?

Or is it just Demo stuff?

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Nice looking game on the PC and runs well. Wondering why there is no exclusive fullscreen mode and it's just borderless windowed?

UWP+DX12 combined them both into a single option. When it's fullscreen, UWP has the performance benefits of exclusive fullscreen, with the benefits of borderless window where you can interact with other windows easily. Plus, UWP does scaling within the bounds of its window, so even if you have it fullscreen at 640x480, your desktop icons won't get all messed up because your game resolution impacted what Windows was outputting. If you want more details, you can look on YouTube on videos from the DirectX team going over changes to the Windows compositor for DX12/UWP.

knuckles

Oct 29, 2017
The most impressive thing about the demo for me is the sense of speed at 30FPS in the super car. Fantastic. And the game looks incredible.

But I'm not a fan of open world racers, and I got bored pretty quickly of FH3, so it's probably a pass for me.

But damn is it pretty.....
This has been commented on since fh1, I don't know how they do it, but let's just say playground are wizards.

edit: Lol this is why I don't do pc gaming.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad you got it fixed! It's odd though, my DS4 v2 works fine with GloSC through Steam.
I want to know who I'm supposed to be pissed at for fucking up the DS4v2 support.
I have literally never had a problem with other racing or whatever games on Steam using this controller, but the FH4 demo in the Windows Store won't detect it AT ALL, and even with DS4Windows the controller mapping is so fucked up that I can't steer.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting crashes everytime they play the game? I've had it happening more than twice now.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game/demo on PC support the Logitech Driving Forge GT? Horizon 3 supposedly does, but in the demo, gas pedal was mapped to both acceleration and the horn lol.