• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Posted in another thread about the game, but maybe anyone knows something about it in here:

I don't really understand how the game is so CPU limited on PC. 60FPS shouldn't be that hard if the One X can handle it that easily while running on 2011 pimped laptop cores.
I'm not running state of the art with a i5-4460, but it's still considerably better than the X CPU. I'm also running a 970 and that's just a 50% while playing - but I can't run Discord and the game at the same time, because as soon as the CPU spikes, I can't talk or understand anything anymore.

Am I looking at it from the wrong angle? Is my CPU that much worse than I think it is? Playing at 1080p60 with mostly middle settings, some are set to low.

Edit: Maybe that's also the patch? I can't remember it being this bad when I last played it before - around a week ago.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Did a recent patch break performance or something?

I swear I was staying above the 70 FPS range, but now I can't move above 60, as if it's locked, even though I have no FPS lock on

Also, the game now looks slightly pixelated, even though I'm running it on Ultra. I also realized there are no other cars on the road. What in the fuck happened to this game?

EDIT: A driver update reset seems to have fixed the FPS issue, but the graphics still look much worse than they should on Ultra settings at 1440p.

Is that some sort of known glitch?

Last edited:

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So, apparently the vegetation draw distance issue, mentioned as "increased" in the latest patch notes is still pretty much the same thing after installing the latest update here. I wonder if this is ever going to be fixed.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
So, apparently the vegetation draw distance issue, mentioned as "increased" in the latest patch notes is still pretty much the same thing after installing the latest update here. I wonder if this is ever going to be fixed.

Well, I don't know what to say, but I think the grass draw distance is WAY farther than before now. Much much better.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Weird, grass pop in looks exactly the same for me.

Gimme a sec and I'll post a vid which you might be able to compare with.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, I remember a very visible line in which you could see grass being drawn in, but now it's much less noticeable and farther out.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

give it a good 15 months. thats how long it took to fix forza horizon 3 on pc. also is there a log file for forza horizon 3 that shows every update released with date and list of fixes?

OP
OP
SmartWaffles

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The pop in change is kinda noticeable for me. I wouldn't call it a drastic improvement as some of you might expect but it's there regardless.
Posted in another thread about the game, but maybe anyone knows something about it in here:

I don't really understand how the game is so CPU limited on PC. 60FPS shouldn't be that hard if the One X can handle it that easily while running on 2011 pimped laptop cores.
I'm not running state of the art with a i5-4460, but it's still considerably better than the X CPU. I'm also running a 970 and that's just a 50% while playing - but I can't run Discord and the game at the same time, because as soon as the CPU spikes, I can't talk or understand anything anymore.

Am I looking at it from the wrong angle? Is my CPU that much worse than I think it is? Playing at 1080p60 with mostly middle settings, some are set to low.

Edit: Maybe that's also the patch? I can't remember it being this bad when I last played it before - around a week ago.
You can't directly compare CPU overhead between consoles and PC. And 4th gen i5s are kinda mediocre in today's standards if not overlocked, Horizon 3 and 4 are very, very CPU hungry games. On the X the lower resolution helped to get the 60fps they need because the overall lower rendering cost reduced CPU drawcalls as well.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
How the hell do I stop notifications/achievements causing my screen to switch off HDR, display the achievement, switch HDR back on and then turn everything green until I alt-tab 3 or 4 times?

It's a pain in the ass.

OP
OP
SmartWaffles

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
How the hell do I stop notifications/achievements causing my screen to switch off HDR, display the achievement, switch HDR back on and then turn everything green until I alt-tab 3 or 4 times?

It's a pain in the ass.
You can disable the Xbox app from showing all notifications. When a notification pops up, open the sidebar, right click on the title, disable it there.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Is hdr broken on pc? I can't get it to be recognized in the brightness settings even though I have it on in windows and it works in other games.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I'm not sure about grass draw distance (maybe I trained myself not to notice it), but I'm seeing a good improvement for things like roadside fences with the patch, so that's definitely something.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I found a solution for those with sound problems with TVs. Go into advanced settings and change frequency to 48000MHz(studio quality), rather than 44k standard. It solved the issue for me

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about grass draw distance (maybe I trained myself not to notice it), but I'm seeing a good improvement for things like roadside fences with the patch, so that's definitely something.
They definitely improved foliage draw distance and LODs. Transitions from low detail trees to high detail isn't so jarring any more. Grass draw distance is improved too I think but it could still be better, in some cases grass draw line is very visible and doesn't look great. This is good improvement overall, I just wish that people with good hardware were allowed to push graphics quality even further.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Did a recent patch break performance or something?

I swear I was staying above the 70 FPS range, but now I can't move above 60, as if it's locked, even though I have no FPS lock on

Also, the game now looks slightly pixelated, even though I'm running it on Ultra. I also realized there are no other cars on the road. What in the fuck happened to this game?

EDIT: A driver update reset seems to have fixed the FPS issue, but the graphics still look much worse than they should on Ultra settings at 1440p.

Is that some sort of known glitch?

Completely different for me - runs buttery smooth after the patch yesterday. Don't know what that CPU thing was, but it's gone now. Stutters every other 15 minutes for a little, but that's most likely VRAM due to the 970 issues, got that in other games too.

The pop in change is kinda noticeable for me. I wouldn't call it a drastic improvement as some of you might expect but it's there regardless.

You can't directly compare CPU overhead between consoles and PC. And 4th gen i5s are kinda mediocre in today's standards if not overlocked, Horizon 3 and 4 are very, very CPU hungry games. On the X the lower resolution helped to get the 60fps they need because the overall lower rendering cost reduced CPU drawcalls as well.

Yep, I know that I can't expect to run anything in 60FPS and 1440p or 4K, I don't make any illusions on that. I also don't expect to run anything on high settings and 60FPS, but medium is mostly comparable to console settings very often and I'm fine with that. And the CPU is still much better on 1080p than anything on consoles right now - or at least it should be.

I've read that the i5-4460 isn't really able to be overclocked, that's why I never tried - do you know if that's true?

OP
OP
SmartWaffles

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah you can't overclock non K CPUs. I had an similar 4th gen i5 at my old work place, it really wasn't pleasant gaming on that.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on fixes for the texture resolution / anisotropic filtering issue..

Oct 27, 2017
The LOD/Draw Distance is so much better in this update. Glad they were listening to the complaints. I think it's on par if not better than the X1X version now.

Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering, here are the new values in the config file in regards to the environment LOD vs the old values (credit to the guys at the Forza Forums):

Old values from config at extreme dynamic geometry quality:
TreesLODDistanceScale="1.000000"
GrassLODDistanceScale="1.000000"
BushLODDistanceScale="1.000000"

New values:
TreesLODDistanceScale="1.250000"
GrassLODDistanceScale="2.000000"
BushLODDistanceScale="1.500000"

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Decided to switch my new card into the old dinosaur to see what it could do at 4k. I gotta give credit to playground for optimizing the game very very well. Just noticed I am missing 1.35gb of vram. uh oh time to head back to microcenter.
CSc46Lz.jpg

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Not the best comparison... different seasons and TOD...and slightly different angle.. but yea, you can easily tell that the foliage draw distance has been pushed out farther, and it blends better as well..especially in motion. Big improvement.

Old pic I took:

45494313752_b037687079_o.png

New pic:

43727241210_f3494158a5_o.png

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse the ignorance, when did it release and how big is this patch?

Never mind, put on PC, had already downloaded part of it, however it wouldn't continue to download even after stopping and restarting it.

I restarted my PC and it's downloading..

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not the best comparison... different seasons and TOD...and slightly different angle.. but yea, you can easily tell that the foliage draw distance has been pushed out farther, and it blends better as well..especially in motion. Big improvement.

Old pic I took:

New pic:

43727241210_f3494158a5_o.png

the before pic was you having no issues? looks awful

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I still haven't been able to play this fucking game. It keeps crashing and has been since launch. I've tried lowering settings to the lowest possible, changing my audio settings to 48000/16 bit, and unsintalling MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner.

What do I need to do?

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks big time, still not able to play it.

Ever thought of re-downloading it, or check event viewer in Windows after it crashes?

Booting up in safe mode?

Are you using onboard sound or a card?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
the before pic was you having no issues?: looks awful

Yea... so awful!! ... You're such a drama queen. =/

I never said there wasn't any issues. I said my game looked the same as the X1X and that I didn't have the same terrible LOD pop in which other people were having. I specifically told you that not everyone had the same issue... which you were sure everyone on PC including myself was. Now look at you in here... trying to start shit with your snide comment... "bu but your pic looks awful.. :'( " ... lol.. then the game looks awful... Who am I to argue with the only authority on the matter? ...but you were specifically saying that it looked WORSE than the X1X version and that the PC version was broken for everyone. Wrong..

Look at my pic:

And look at another persons pic:

wtf2edfr6.png

So yea... considering my pic is the same that it is on Xbox One X... and that I specifically tested them and compared...I'd say it's fair to say I "didn't have any issues" and that it was fine in regards to being as good as it could be... ie (not a pc specific issue) And now it's much better than before... which is another thing I might add that you just claimed last night likely "wasn't fixed because it would be another 13 months before PG fixed their shit PC versions"

Anything else icecold?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yea... so awful!! ... You're such a drama queen. =/

I never said there wasn't any issues. I said my game looked the same as the X1X and that I didn't have the same terrible LOD pop in which other people were having. I specifically told you that not everyone had the same issue... which you were sure everyone on PC including myself was. Now look at you in here... trying to start shit with your snide comment... "bu but your pic looks awful.. :'( " ... lol.. then the game looks awful... Who am I to argue with the only authority on the matter? ...but you were specifically saying that it looked WORSE than the X1X version and that the PC version was broken for everyone. Wrong..

Look at my pic:

And look at another persons pic:

wtf2edfr6.png

So yea... considering my pic is the same that it is on Xbox One X... and that I specifically tested them and compared...I'd say it's fair to say I didn't have any issues and that it was fine in regards to being as good as it could be... ie (not a pc specific issue) And now it's much better than before... which is another thing I might add that you just claimed last night likely "wasn't fixed because it would be another 13 months before PG fixed their shit PC versions"

Anything else icecold?
i dont think the top pick is how it looks on X. it looks bugged for you as well. what i said was that the game is a mess on PC, you then said the game works flawlessly for you and just like any game a few people have issues. forza horizon 4 at that time was far from a normal functioning game where a select few people had issues

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
i dont think the top pick is how it looks on X. it looks bugged for you as well. what i said was that the game is a mess on PC, you then said the game works flawlessly for you and just like any game a few people have issues. forza horizon 4 at that time was far from a normal functioning game where a select few people had issues

I think you've convinced yourself that that's the case and yet aren't willing or able to accept the fact that it's not.

That's right.. I said the game works flawlessly for me. What else am I supposed to say? You got on my case because I described my experience... then at the mere suggestion that it might have been someone else's PC which was the problem... you decided to target me. A lot of people had the AF issue where the Nvidia driver was likely the culprit (not a game issue) and then there was an issue with the game that IF you changed a graphics setting from inside the game world, it would cause the LODs to break... so the "issue" only happened if you were messing around with the gfx settings and not restarting the game. Which I assume MANY people were doing because they were tweaking and trying to find the right settings... and let's be real... who wants to wait for the game to restart after changing one setting?

Bam... the AF issue, and then the LOD issue on top of it... made the game look like what people posted.

The reality was that there was one issue with the game... and one issue completely outside of the games' control. It wasn't a broken mess of a game. I had a 1080Ti when the demo released and I basically just set it to extreme and 4K and just played. I wasn't messing around with gfx settings so the issue never came up until later when I was specifically testing for it.

I should add that this is all besides the Windows Store issues... which are very real, and a pain in the ass for lots of people. But that's not a game specific issue either.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I still haven't been able to play this fucking game. It keeps crashing and has been since launch. I've tried lowering settings to the lowest possible, changing my audio settings to 48000/16 bit, and unsintalling MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner.

What do I need to do?
I didn't have issues with afterburner per se, but this game absolutely hated even 5mhz of overclock on my gpu. I still have afterburner running, but it's all stock clocks.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have issues with afterburner per se, but this game absolutely hated even 5mhz of overclock on my gpu. I still have afterburner running, but it's all stock clocks.

Interesting, did you check your OC with other applications? I can leave my GTX 1070 running at 1950mhz @ 0.9v and +550mhz on the memory with no issues.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
FH4's PC audio engine is busted right now. No idea how they've managed to fuck this one up as it's basically the only game out of a couple of hundreds I have installed which is having audio issues on my PC.