• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
4k/60/RT genuinely sounds too good to be too be true for XSX.

To what extent RT reflections are used will be interesting, not expecting GT7 replay quality but if T10 pull it off I'll be incredibly impressed with the hardware involved

It reflections not GI. The gpu hit is nothing like what it could be if GI or pathtracing were being involved.

60fps shouldn't be seen as hard considering that the engine of the game has quite the scaling on decent gpus from what we know. It runs near 60fps on a 6800u at medium settings at 15w to 28w.

T10 doing their own work and having the talent they do lets them do it more than anything.

DKMGT

Banned
Jun 19, 2022
Right so at least FSR 2.0 then hopefully!

Also did you guys notice the steering wheel turns 180 degrees for the first time in the series. Thank Jebus.

ygwijwv.png

Jun 25, 2022
Is real time car reflection in racing games not the norm? I may be mistaken but I thought many racers in the PS360 gen had real time reflections of other cars.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is real time car reflection in racing games not the norm? I may be mistaken but I thought many racers in the PS360 gen had real time reflections of other cars.
Real time car reflections using cube maps for instance aren't anywhere near as accurate (and demanding) as ray traced reflections. RT has less limitations on top of that. For example traditional methods need to have everything they reflect (like cars) on screen iirc, whereas RT can reflect cars for instance not seen in the players view. These kind of reflections are impossible without RT

WCCFforzamotorsport84-1030x579.jpg

FM is the first racing game to use RT during gameplay iirc.
It reflections not GI.
It's GI for replays, if we go by the trailer. I am curious what the resolution and framerate for replays will be.

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Real time car reflections using cube maps for instance aren't anywhere near as accurate (and demanding) as ray traced reflections. RT has less limitations on top of that. For example traditional methods need to have everything they reflect (like cars) on screen iirc, whereas RT can reflect cars for instance not seen in the players view. These kind of reflections are impossible without RT

WCCFforzamotorsport84-1030x579.jpg

FM is the first racing game to use RT during gameplay iirc.

It's GI for replays, if we go by the trailer. I am curious what the resolution and framerate for replays will be.

Should've made the distinction talking about ingame.

I hope they allow pc players to toggle GI or scale resolution of RT effects in game.

Environments and lighting look sick though.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Should've made the distinction talking about ingame.

I hope they allow pc players to toggle GI or scale resolution of RT effects in game.

Environments and lighting look sick though.
I hope so because even if that would tank performance, PC is all about choice. Personally I wouldn't use it though. Need my rock solid 60.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so because even if that would tank performance, PC is all about choice. Personally I wouldn't use it though. Need my rock solid 60.

it locks in scaling performance as your device gets more powerful or efficient.

3080 pulls in that with tons of res on medium settings with the RT mod. Hopefully I get something like that with FM8.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the most recent Digital Foundry overview for 2022, the RT for F1 is only in cinematics and pre-race scenes, which on console are limited to 30 fps. I'm under the impression that even on PC, there's no on-track RT available for gameplay.

RT in gameplay on PC was available for F1 2021, so should be there for 2022 as well.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
RT in gameplay on PC was available for F1 2021, so should be there for 2022 as well.

Oop, thanks for correcting.

Edit: Wait, write-ups I'm coming across reference RT reflections as only being available in showroom and replays. Do you have a link or search I can do to reference it?

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Oop, thanks for correcting.

Edit: Wait, write-ups I'm coming across reference RT reflections as only being available in showroom and replays. Do you have a link or search I can do to reference it?

youtu.be

F1 2022 - Digital Foundry Tech Review - PS5 vs PC vs Xbox Series X/ Xbox Series S

Formula One is back once again in F1 22 - and Tom Morgan is here with your complete technical breakdown on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series versions of the ...

It's mentioned and showed at 7:30