Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
0o9bdDP.png

Based on the award-winning novels by Isaac Asimov, Foundation chronicles a band of exiles on their monumental journey to save humanity and rebuild civilization amidst the fall of the Galactic Empire.

Cast
  • Jared Harris as Hari Seldon, a mathematician and developer of psychohistory, an algorithmic science that allows him to predict the future in terms of probabilities
  • Lee Pace as Brother Day (Cleon XII), an adult-aged genetic clone of Emperor Cleon
  • Lou Llobell as Gaal Dornick, Hari's protégé, a young woman from a planet that decries all science and mathematics who solved a complex mathematical problem
  • Leah Harvey as Salvor Hardin
  • Laura Birn as Eto Demerzel
  • Terrence Mann as Brother Dusk (Cleon XI), the eldest genetic clone of Emperor Cleon
  • Cassian Bilton as Brother Dawn (Cleon XIII), a teenaged genetic clone of Emperor Cleon
  • Cooper Carter as the child Cleon XIII

Trailers

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting for this since the early 80s. One of my favorites.

For the uninitiated:
The premise of the stories is that, in the waning days of a future Galactic Empire, the mathematician Hari Seldon spends his life developing a theory of psychohistory, a new and effective mathematical sociology. Using statistical laws of mass action, it can predict the future of large populations. Seldon foresees the imminent fall of the Empire, which encompasses the entire Milky Way, and a dark age lasting 30,000 years before a second empire arises. Although the inertia of the Empire's fall is too great to stop, Seldon devises a plan by which "the onrushing mass of events must be deflected just a little" to eventually limit this interregnum to just one thousand years. To implement his plan, Seldon creates the Foundations—two groups of scientists and engineers settled at opposite ends of the galaxy—to preserve the spirit of science and civilization, and thus become the cornerstones of the new galactic empire.

A key feature of Seldon's theory, which has proved influential in real-world social science,[3] is an uncertainty or incompleteness principle: if a population gains knowledge of its predicted behavior, its self-aware collective actions become unpredictable.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Apple TV+ has had more exclusives this past year that I've enjoyed than any other service. They need more catalog content, but their original content is pretty great. Cant wait for this.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
having read foundation 1 twice, and 2 once... a long time ago... the saga isn't really 'main character'y if you know what i mean

are they introducing a new central protagonist?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it might be a competent reimaging of the 1000 year plan.

It should always be noted in these threads Issac Asimov was a serial sexual assaulter.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
having read foundation 1 twice, and 2 once... a long time ago... the saga isn't really 'main character'y if you know what i mean

are they introducing a new central protagonist?

I agree, this seems like one of the least-adaptable series of novels. Unless they jump up to the stuff with the Mule. I guess that could work?

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I have read this before..like ages ago.

Show looks great too. Excellent looking production value

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a zillion bucks. A little too dystopian and english-accenty for me, but I hope they get the sweep and scale of the books right.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I read most of the books a long time ago (back when I was in high school I think). Definitely will give this a watch; I'm pretty much all in on anything with Jared Harris in it.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recognize anything there that's Foundation-like in vibe and tone. I also have no faith in Goyer, but Lee Pace is awesome in everything.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Production values look great. It seems like the show will focus on the time when Seldon was alive, which of course will mean a massive departure from the books.

Looks like it might be a competent reimaging of the 1000 year plan.

It should always be noted in these threads Issac Asimov was a serial sexual assaulter.
Looked it up and it seems this has been known for ages. Surprised I wasn't aware of that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Those production values are insane holy shit

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wow, I had no idea that they were undertaking this mammoth of an endeavour. Foundation series is rather huge. Apple is kind of on a roll with sci-fi series.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Sweet! I wasn't sure if this had shot before the covid shut down.

Wow, I had no idea that they were undertaking this mammoth of an endeavour. Foundation series is rather huge. Apple is kind of on a roll with sci-fi series.

See is supposedly the most expensive TV show ever made. Apple is spending big money, hopefully the end product is worth it this time.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Jared Harris has been choosing ace TV roles for a while now. I'll trust a project based on his participation.

Oct 29, 2017
Apple TV+ is really, really fucking good. Apple keeps throwing a bunch of money at great ideas and people.

Yeah, it's small, really small compared to the competition but it's pure quality.

This is just brilliant.