Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the girl is Dornik, the psychohistorian Seldon recruits in the Psychohistorians?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Probably best to go in expecting it to be nothing like the novels. As long as they don't do to Foundation what the 2000s did to Star Trek maybe it'll be alright.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like it. Gaal's barely a character in the story though, so changing gender is no problem whatsoever. I'm sure certain quarters will complain though.

Yeah, tho I wouldn't be surprised if she has a bigger role in the series. She seems a bit young to be Gaal, tho. Kind of figured she'd be Raych, from forward the foundation, but judging from that convo, she has to be Gaal.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was so excited by this trailer. I'm literally midway through the Foundation series right now having completed the Robots and Empire series over the spring

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited by this trailer. I'm literally midway through the Foundation series right now having completed the Robots and Empire series over the spring

By the end of Asimov's Foundation writing he pretty much ties in a lot of his non Foundation novels. So you may have more reading.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Never cared for Foundation but this looks excellent.

Admittedly I only read the first but this doesn't feel anything like how I remember it, so that is something. Weird to be in a space where I'm kind of rooting for Goyer to mess with something.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
By the end of Asimov's Foundation writing he pretty much ties in a lot of his non Foundation novels. So you may have more reading.
Yes indeed.
R. Daneel Olivaw pretty much becomes the guardian of humanity after been given Giskard's mind powers and practising Zeroth Law for 20,000 plus years.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been following a read order I found on the r/Asimov subreddit that attempts to blend chronological and release order for a coherent storyline. So far it's been a fantastic journey and it feels like a single epic story spanning thousands of years. I'm on Foundation and Empire now. Here's the list if anybody is curious. Most of the audiobooks are free to borrow from local libraries via Overdrive with little to no wait.
  1. I, Robot [ROBOTS]
  2. The Caves of Steel [ROBOTS]
  3. The Naked Sun [ROBOTS]
  4. Mirror Image (short story) [ROBOTS]
  5. The Robots of Dawn [ROBOTS]
  6. Robots and Empire [ROBOTS]
  7. The Stars, Like Dust-- [EMPIRE]
  8. The Currents of Space [EMPIRE]
  9. Pebble in the Sky [EMPIRE]
  10. Foundation [FOUNDATION]
  11. Foundation and Empire [FOUNDATION]
  12. Second Foundation [FOUNDATION]
  13. Foundation's Edge [FOUNDATION]
  14. Foundation and Earth [FOUNDATION]
  15. Prelude to Foundation [FOUNDATION]
  16. Forward the Foundation [FOUNDATION]

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Yes indeed.
R. Daneel Olivaw pretty much becomes the guardian of humanity after been given Giskard mind powers and practising Zeroth Law for 20,000 plus years.
I've been following a read order I found on the r/Asimov subreddit that attempts to blend chronological and release order for a coherent storyline. So far it's been a fantastic journey. I'm on Foundation and Empire now. Here's the list if anybody is curious. Most of the audiobooks are free to borrow from local libraries via Overdrive with little to no wait.

The Second Foundation Trilogy novels are also pretty good and well worth reading even if they weren't written by Asimov.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This looks excellent, hopefully the writing is up to snuff

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
This looks phenomenal

Also smh at the See slander in this thread.

The production values on that show are great

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn, the money is jumping off the screen.

I love the entire Foundation and Robot series, but I have no expectations on the quality of this. It's gonna be very different from the books, almost an entire new thing. That's ok, just means I don't know what to expect.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
This looks really good. I was hoping this would release while I still have Apple TV+ for free through all of 2020, but it looks like I have to resubscribe in 2021.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I only have middling expectations but regardless of quality, I do not foresee this being a big hit. Cold sci-fi media doesn't do great with mass audiences.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I only have middling expectations but regardless of quality, I do not foresee this being a big hit. Cold sci-fi media doesn't do great with mass audiences.

I know what you mean, it's a bit like the new Blade Runner. However, I know it's not sci-fi but GOT is quite cold and resonated well with the masses.

Oct 27, 2017
My main concern is that the Empire actually looks advanced. One of the main themes of the books was that the old order was bloated and rusting. I expected the design of their tech to resemble 50s tech in that it works, but is clearly inefficient and "outdated," even though it's the future. By the time of the Empire's collapse, stuff barely worked and people didn't even really understand how it worked. They could keep stuff running but couldn't build anything new.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Are the novels worth reading now? Some classic sci-fi seems to age poorly due to poor predictions of the future or some ugly outdated ideas being woven into it (on things like race, gender, etc.), even if the overall story or setting remains interesting. I've been curious about the novels ever since seeing a fuckton of Foundation sequels (but never the original) in a used book shop, and knowing Asimov's name from other things. I'm pretty ignorant about classic sci-fi in general, beyond things that have been adapted to movies or TV.

I tried out an audio book of Foundation but found my mind would drift and I'd have to rewind because I'd end up missing some batshit detail about the setting. It didn't really work as background noise while I was doing other things, so it might be something I'd need to actually sit down and read.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I know what you mean, it's a bit like the new Blade Runner. However, I know it's not sci-fi but GOT is quite cold and resonated well with the masses.
I don't quite mean violence or sadistic-ness by cold. More a lack of overt deep emotion, which GoT does have a lot of. Besides story, sci-fi is also typically cold visually, lacking in familiar settings and opting for the somewhat abstract. GoT is essentially medieval era visually.