• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
The dark side? In an ideal world everyone would tell him to fuck himself constantly until he decided to become a normal human being.

But I'd rather tell him to shove the entire Cheops pyramid up his ass tbh.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't like him and i would never vote him.
I'm just asking if this for you is good. Guess it' a yes.

What i don't understand is how this topic is slowly making me a republican fascist pro-trump by just saying i feel bad not for Trump but for Yann Barthes doing this because i thought it was...not smart?

Are you asking if a foreign television star calling out our President is good for us? I mean, it isn't bad for us. Nor good for us. Americans who support trump will say they don't care what another country thinks, and Americans who don't support trump will either not care or agree with the tv host.

I am fully aware that the current US President is an international embarrassment and disaster. It sucks. Hopefully we'll fix it in two years as a nation.

OP
OP
Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Compared to what I've heard from mes amis des pays francophones apparently this is the more modest stuff... but carry on. How much division is it causing?

it's more about the "a tv show host shouldn't insult a president" than saying "fuck" to trump actually.
It's more about the "Yann Barthes have a huge position on media and it was quite shocking for some"

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Okay i think Era misunderstood the topic

I don't feel bad for Trump. I don't care about this asshole.
I felt bad of the host because for me it wasn't "smart" to do this. That's what i thought.
I feel bad for op because for me it wasn't "smart" to make this thread

comedians gonna joke, it's not like Macron is out there posting diss tracks

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

I felt bad of the host because for me it wasn't "smart" to do this. That's what i thought.
Why do you feel bad for this comedian though? Do you think he'd get in trouble over this?

In any case, I don't know this program or this comedian/host but I applaud them for not pulling punches. Qu'il aille se faire foutre, en effet.

By the way, American comedians like on the Daily Show, Full Frontal or Last Week Tonight routinely tell Trump to fuck off, too.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
it's more about the "a tv show host shouldn't insult a president" than saying "fuck" to trump actually.
It's more about the "Yann Barthes have a huge position on media and it was quite shocking for some"
So it is rooted in a desire to sublimate conflict into euphemism, and so keep things "safe" from the truth

Gotcha

OP
OP
Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Are you asking if a foreign television star calling out our President is good for us? I mean, it isn't bad for us. Nor good for us. Americans who support trump will say they don't care what another country thinks, and Americans who don't support trump will either not care or agree with the tv host.

I am fully aware that the current US President is an international embarrassment and disaster. It sucks. Hopefully we'll fix it in two years as a nation.

Thanks but i can clearly see many here thinking i'm a pro-trump or a dumbass just because i m..."too good?" to felt bad for the host because he went on the "fuck yourself" route.

THIS is what i don't like on internet discussion today. The mannicheism.

"OP are you mad? The BAD SIDE? WHAT? HEY HITLER MAN! DON'T REMEMBER????"

i mean come on...calm down...I felt bad for my favorite late show to do this.

Oct 25, 2017

It was smart to do this. More people should be calling out Trump for what he is. He had two years to earn respect and he's doubled down on being the worst kind of person.

We need more people with the courage to say fuck Trump publicly.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Trump at all but does this mean we need to go to the dark side?

This is cracking me up. lol

Nothing could happen to or be said to him that he doesn't deserve a hundred times over.

Shitting on him in the worse possible way, which is usually basic observations, is a noble goal for all humans. It's a moral imperative.

Just wait till the quarter pounders catch up. If you're clutching pearls at the heat this hole is getting while it lives, the global celebrations will blow your mind.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
CooperativeUnfinishedGarpike-size_restricted.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. Trump is gonna cry into a huge pile of money in the White House today.
I feel so bad for him. Or whatever it is OP actually meant

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks but i can clearly see many here thinking i'm a pro-trump or a dumbass just because i m..."too good?" to felt bad for the host because he went on the "fuck yourself" route.

i mean come on...calm down...

I'm just gonna go ahead and blame language barriers for this. Most of the time i think I know what you are talking about, but clearly you feel misunderstood but aren't able to fully explain how or why.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, wait. If it's more about a tv show shouldn't insult a President then man you must hate satire.
Regardless, I disagree. If you want to go on about freedom of speech in a more malleable sense then the idea of protecting people in positions of power is ludicrous. People are idiots. Whatever title they may hold does not show that they earned it, deserved it or are qualified for it. I don't think you can seperate the person from the position, anyway.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017

i mean come on...calm down...
Man I have been trying to engage you on the issue of conflict avoidance on TV and the problems therein and you just over here doin this...

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

i mean come on...calm down...I felt bad for my favorite late show to do this.
Uh oh...my thread isn't going well...what should I do?

I know! I'll make my bad argument bigger and bolder!!!

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
OP are you concerned about the Tv host stance from an American or French point of view?

Because guaranteed that most Americans won't care about this. Trump supporters don't care at all how he is viewed by others. Democrats and liberals don't care either and actually agree with the statement.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
OP.

you need to read something.

it's the concept of "speaking truth to power"

and the truth is that Trump is not welcome in France, and the truth is that Trump can go fuck himself.
Those things are true.

OP
OP
Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Man I have been trying to engage you on the issue of conflict avoidance on TV and the problems therein and you just over here doin this...

Some people directly told me about Hitler or Bolsonaro. Wtf?
I'm saying that i don't know if it's good to insult him. I don't feel bad for trump, i don't care about him.
I'm just saying that seeing my favorite late show going on this...i was like ".....ok...????" I mean they could deal with Trump in another way.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems fine to me.

I'm not sure if you watch the American late nite shows like Colbert, Meyers, or Oliver, but they regularly refer to Trump as incompetent, corrupt, criminal, racist, sexually attracted to his own daughter, a puppet of Putin, etc. That's worse than "fuck you, you're not welcome." Since he is the American president, Americans can't very well say, "you're not welcome."

Also, US politicians pedalled a soft-boycott of France during the Iraq war, and started calling French fries "Freedom fries," so I don't see a "fuck you, you're not welcome" as especially harsh.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I don't give a damn what position you have, church or state, if you are a horrible person I'd tell you to fuck off and would encourage others to do the same. I see no issue here

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm French myself (living in the States) and I think it's fine and appropriate given the target.
Is this really causing a controversy in France?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
This is the dark side?

Pretty sure our politicians are cursing him out behind the scenes when the cameras aren't on. And they are all right, Donald Trump can rightly so go fuck himself.

And the people who voted for him can do so as well. That's how much I give a shit that he was "elected".

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so what? Hitler was elected. does that mean we can't tell him to go fuck himself?

Not that I disagree with telling elected officials to go fuck themselves but:

Hindenburg reluctantly agreed to appoint Hitler as chancellor after the parliamentary elections of July and November 1932 had not resulted in the formation of a majority government. Hitler headed a short-lived coalition government formed by the NSDAP and the German National People's Party (DNVP).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machtergreifung

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that i don't know if it's good to insult him. I don't feel bad for trump, i don't care about him.
I'm just saying that seeing my favorite late show going on this...i was like ".....ok...????" I mean they could deal with Trump in another way.
So what way do you think that "another way" would be then, if directness and frank language is something you consider too strong a response for basic television?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to be seriously sheltered if you think telling a wannabe authoritarian to go fuck himself is "going to the dark side."

The idealism some of you have is so out of whack, I don't get it.

OP
OP
Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I'm French myself (living in the States) and I think it's fine and appropriate given the target.
Is this really causing a controversy in France?

well CSA was called (CSA = is kinda the "police media" that intervene if there is discrimination or bad stuff on tv).
I think i was misunderstood.

I shouldn't have done this topic. Now Era will see me as a republican or worse...
when i was just thinking that using Trump "rhetoric" weapon with insult, against him, didn't seem to me a good idea because i thought we need to show constantly that we are WAY more smart than him.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
well CSA was called (CSA = is kinda the "police media" that intervene if there is discrimination or bad stuff on tv).

I shouldn't have done this topic. Now Era will see me as a republican or worse...
when i was just thinking that using Trump "rhetoric" weapon with insult, against him, didn't seem to me a good idea because i thought we need to show constantly that we are WAY more smart than him.
You really shouldn't have to worry about that. If anything the fact that you are still worried about common decency shows you're anti-everything they are.

The rest of us have just dropped that, too tired to be civil anymore with these fuckers. Kinda having adopted a less "When they go low, we go high" and more a "When they go low, we grab them by the head and knee them in the face."

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France, it's ok to say "Fuck insert American politician here"

They can take it. They also won't give a shit.

Oct 29, 2017

The fact is that we need to deal with trump in EVERY way. That includes calling him out on television. Late night shows are supposed to be entertainment and humorous before being informative news programs, so I'm not surprised that hosts have taken to harshly calling him out like this.

Trump is a bad person, and a bad leader. He has actively harmed people in many ways, and shown a blatant disregard for humanity in general. I do not find it a problem when a person says "fuck trump". It may even improve the host's notoriety, to be honest.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017

Just telling someone to go fuck themselves doesn't imply that the person giving the insult is stupid.

This idea that the only way to higher moral ground is to never, ever, speak from elevated emotion is ridiculous.

OP
OP
Kylo Rey

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
So what way do you think that "another way" would be then, if directness and frank language is something you consider too strong a response for basic television?

what they do everyday. Make fun stuff about him because of what he DO. Not doing it ourselves.
Thursday they talked a lot about the journalist issue last week with the white house saying that it was a bad journalist that hurt a woman by not letting her taking the mic.
So Quotidien show how ridiculous they are because it was fake news, the journalist even said "excuse me" to the woman, he never touched her and then they showed footage of every time Trump didn't respect womens.

That's smart.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Well he's a president elected.
Doesn't mean he deserves respect. He's a racist, a misogynist, a homophobe, he lies habitually, he panders to extremists, uses dangerous rethoric against minorities, the press, political opponents etc., he's uneducated, ignorant and lazy. He has no idea what he's doing, if he wasn't born rich he wouldn't even be allowed to run a 10 year old's lemonade stand while the kids goes inside to pee for three minutes.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This thread backfire doesn't seem like it's going to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.