Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Era's bizarre hard-on for From Software will literally never cease to amaze me, and I say that as someone who loves Bloodborne.
No, every single time, they were beaten by more deserving games that managed to speak to and be resonant to a lot more people, regardless of your personal perceptions of their quality, I think the only exception is maybe Dark Souls 3.

Uncharted 2 deserved to beat Demon's Souls
Skyrim deserved to beat Dark Souls
Dragon Age Inquisition I'm not too hot on, but it's clear it caught the zeitgeist of its year like Dark Souls 2 did not
The Witcher 3 absolutely deserved to have beaten Bloodborne, much as I adore Bloodborne, and think it runs circles around The Witcher 3.

Uncharted 2 and Skyrim started legitimate paradigm shifts in the industry. Uncharted 2 started the walk towards cinematic interactivity that we still see to this day. Skyrim started the present day shift to open world gaming, and has been cited by developers as storied as Square Enix, Capcom, Kojima, CD Projekt RED, BioWare, and fucking Nintendo, who never acknowledge external influences, as an influence on their games. The Witcher 3 is one of the most lauded games of all time, and the modern day Final Fantasy 7, even if I think Bloodborne is a better designed game, TW3 very clearly struck a chord with more people.

A lot of From fans need to get over themselves in all their bullshit elitism. No, you don't know better than anyone else, and the people who voted for Skyrim or The Witcher 3's opinions are every bit as valid as yours are, except theirs are backed by sheer numbers, which clearly bothers you all which is probably what leads to this necessity for validation for From games, and your love for them.

From games are amazing. It's okay if they don't win awards, they're still great.

Your post pretty much nailed it.

The dismissal for Skyrim is really bizarre to me. I don't even like the game but it's an incredibly influential game.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I honestly never thought I'd see so many in 2019 (not 2010 or 2012) arguing the likes of Uncharted 2 or Skyrim are in any way shape or form superior or more significant than Demon's Souls & Dark Souls, but live and learn I guess.

I mean From fans are whatever, but From closet haters (I love Dark Souls but.. ) are waay crazier lol.

OH Lordy. Closet Haters? I don't think that's a thing. I think people who don't like From are pretty damn open about it. Just because Skyrim (one of the biggest games of last gen) has a lot of recognition doesn't make people "closet haters" with some kind of anti-from agenda.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
No, DiCaprio is actually good and can be enjoyed by a wide audience. From Software is only acceptable to those willing to put up with their ridiculous difficulty standards.
kind.gif~original

....or woman.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the year they have the biggest chance of winning, considering the competition isnt nearly as insane as the other years (except 2014 which was really bad).

I mean, currently I can only see Resident Evil 2 Remake threating it.

But yeah, if TLOU2 releases this year it is over.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Paul Thomas Anderson is a better comparison to Miyazaki IMO. There Will Be Blood = Bloodborne. Arguably the best film in the last 15-20 years. An absolute travesty it didn't win Best Picture.
Oscars are a joke but I will take No Country for Old Men over There will be Blood every time thank you very much.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim is absolutely a better game than Dark Souls. It appears most people agree.
Lol no. It's a norse coat of paint on Oblivion which itself was but a severely dumbed down Morrowind. It brought nothing new or worthwhile to the table.

As for 'most people'..source? The only thing we know is that it got more GOTY picks... in 2012... which itself has about zero relation to which game is better.

For a counterpoint here is Edge's 2017 top 100 games of all time where Dark Souls is #2, Skyrim shows up at #28 and Uncharted 2.. doesn't chart https://www.reddit.com/r/Gaming4Gam...ge_magazine_releases_2017_edition_of_the_100/ My guess is 'most people's' opinion on the relative standing of both games in 2019 is going to align with that list from 2 years ago.. or IGN's.. or Polygon's.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is the year they have the biggest chance of winning, considering the competition isnt nearly as insane as the other years (except 2014 which was really bad).

I mean, currently I can only see Resident Evil 2 Remake threating it.

But yeah, if TLOU2 releases this year it is over.

Two words: Apex Legends. Not my GOTY, but it does seem like the most likely game to take it out of anything that has released so far.

Also, tbf we really have no idea what is coming out this Fall for the most part. Maybe Gears 5 will be amazing. If Doom 2 is somehow better than Doom (2016), that could win a ton of GOTY awards. Giant Bomb is going to pick Mario Maker 2, whether anyone other than Jeff actually agrees with the decision. Respawn is really riding high on Apex, but maybe their new game will finally be the Star Wars game everyone's been waiting for for years. Like you say, Last of Us 2, or whatever exclusive Sony ships this Fall will probably do alright. Not to mention Dreams, which seems to be capturing a lot of imaginations. I could see some indie games coming out of nowhere as well. I think you might be understating how stacked 2019 could still end up being.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no. It's a norse coat of paint on Oblivion which itself was but a severely dumbed down Morrowind. It brought nothing new or worthwhile to the table.

As for 'most people'..source? The only thing we know is that it got more GOTY picks... in 2012... which itself has about zero relation to which game is better.

For a counterpoint here is Edge's 2017 top 100 games of all time where Dark Souls is #2, Skyrim shows up at #28 and Uncharted 2.. doesn't chart https://www.reddit.com/r/Gaming4Gam...ge_magazine_releases_2017_edition_of_the_100/ My guess is 'most people's' opinion on the relative standing of both games in 2019 is going to align with that list from 2 years ago.. or IGN's.. or Polygon's.
Skyrim's better than Dark Souls, deal with it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Facts. Some people smoking the good stuff in this thread. From are great but in what universe are we gonna pretend Skyrim ain't better than Dark Souls. It's easily one of the most influential games of last gen alongside Minecraft and COD4 and is the NUMBER ONE case study proving that your game can be a mainstream mega success without sacrificing too much depth. The anti-Bethesda sentiment on Era got some people wylin fr.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facts. Some people smoking the good stuff in this thread. From are great but in what universe are we gonna pretend Skyrim ain't better than Dark Souls. It's easily one of the most influential games of last gen alongside Minecraft and COD4. The anti-Bethesda sentiment on Era got some people wylin fr.
You know things are crazy when people are actually astonished that others might find Skyrim a better game.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
You know the salt towards From and its fans has reached a new level when it makes people argue passionately for Skyrim. And I adore Skyrim, but it's one the most consistently shit on games ever on ERA/GAF.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
GameSpot knew what was up and give Demon's souls GOTY in 2009, beating the likes of Arkham, Uncharted 2 and modern warfare 2

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
So was this the year that people who dont play Fromsoftware games compartmentalize the people that do into those weirdo elitists that only like it because its hard and not because they are incredibly designed games?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You know the salt towards From and its fans has reached a new level when it makes people argue passionately for Skyrim. And I adore Skyrim, but it's one the most consistently shit on games on ever on Era/GAF.
Era is a place that continues to try to make God Hand a thing. Skyrim is straight up Kubrick-ian compared to some of the games we choose to get behind.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know the salt towards From and its fans has reached a new level when it makes people argue passionately for Skyrim. And I adore Skyrim, but it's one the most consistently shit on games on ever on Era/GAF.
One of the highest rated, most awarded, highest selling, most influential games of all time has passionate defenders? SHOCK AND HORROR, HOLY SHIT. HOW CAN THAT BE WHEN RESETERA SHITS ON IT ALL THE TIME MY LIFE IS A LIE!!!11!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's arguably the more influential game and far more people care about it. That doesn't make it a better game, mind you. A lot of amazing games don't win a lot or even any awards but it's not exactly weird that it beat it out

Edit: oh sorry, I didn't mean to quote you. But anyway, now that you're here, make yourself at home!

Uncharted 2 is literally one of the most influential games of last gen and a tentpole achievement for videogame pacing

Demons Souls was a staggering breakthrough in game design. Maybe uncharted 2 was the peak of refinement for the contemporary action game, but I would have fought for demon's souls tooth-and-nail.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
You know things are crazy when people are actually astonished that others might find Skyrim a better game.
Yeah, Era really likes From Software games. People tell me that a combination of reading item descriptions and listening to incredibly vague dialogue is the best narrative gaming has to offer. That is just some hyperbole nonsense. The only thing Soulsborne thing do right when it comes to narrative is environmental storytelling. Sekiro just proves how bad From is at writing characters and a cohesive story. This is coming from someone who thinks Bloodborne is one of the best games of all time.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 2 is literally one of the most influential games of last gen and a tentpole achievement for videogame pacing
First, I like Uncharted 2 a whole lot more than Demon's Souls, and I think it's the better game. But I'd actually argue Demon's Souls is more influential, it essentially birthed a sub genre that we're still seeing iterated upon and new successful entries in today. Uncharted 2 perfected the Uncharted formula, but that formula existed in the original Uncharted. Uncharted 2, by design, can't be as influential as its predecessor.

Oct 25, 2017
> From games shouldn't have easy modes, thereby limiting their audience.

> Also, From games are robbed at GOTY awards.

Pick one. You can't have both.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Reminder that Skyrim was the first western game that Famitsu gave a perfect score to. Reminder that Skyrim had the most GOTY awards of any game until TLOU showed up. Reminder that Skyrim absolutely broke Steam records that haven't been touched since. Reminder that EDGE originally gave Dark Souls a lower score before rectifying that at a later point while straight up awarding Skyrim a 10. Reminder that even if you weren't into gaming at the time, you would have heard of Skyrim. Reminder that Skyrim is one of the best selling games of all time while still retaining that Elder Scrolls formula we've come to enjoy. Reminder that Skyrim defined modern open-world games and still does eight years after launch.

Skyrim literally PROVED to every single game developer out there that success isn't dependent on core gamers. No one would argue against Dark Souls being a phenomenon but its game design and high level of challenge is a barrier that limits it to the core gamer crowd. Plenty of developers in the past have streamlined their games hard in order to allow for more people to get into it and that has resulted in quite a few backfires. Just look at Dragon Age to Dragon Age II. Skyrim as a whole was able to retain so much of the Elder Scrolls formula while avoiding the big issue of streamlining while simultaneously introducing new ways of getting those who haven't played any of the previous games into it. Like Phantom Thief says, plenty of well-regarded game developers cited the game as a huge inspiration. Hell, BioWare's Mark Darrah stated that Skyrim changed RPGs completely and I would agree with him.

Skyrim is both popular with enthusiasts and those who aren't regular players. It's not the most complex role playing game or even the most complex TES game but it's still a pretty deep RPG with a vast open world and hundreds of hours of content. It's presicely all of this that it's way more influential as far as the industry goes than Dark Souls. It's precisely this that it's one of the most awarded games of all-time. Bethesda were able to perfect this formula which is why they were able to stand head and shoulders above any other developer that year.

I know it's the new hip thing to shit on Bethesda because of Fallout 76, but imagine trying to unironically downplay Skyrim's influence on the gaming landscape as a whole.

Bloodborne is one of my favourite games of all time but the incessant comparing From's games to everything else is getting really annoying.

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: oh sorry, I didn't mean to quote you. But anyway, now that you're here, make yourself at home!

Demons Souls was a staggering breakthrough in game design. Maybe uncharted 2 was the peak of refinement for the contemporary action game, but I would have fought for demon's souls tooth-and-nail.
lol It's all good

A breakthrough? I mean, it's certainly influential but I wouldn't call it a breakthrough by any means. Stuff like GTA or Super Mario 64 are what I'd call breakthroughs

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
First, I like Uncharted 2 a whole lot more than Demon's Souls, and I think it's the better game. But I'd actually argue Demon's Souls is more influential, it essentially birthed a sub genre that we're still seeing iterated upon and new successful entries in today. Uncharted 2 perfected the Uncharted formula, but that formula existed in the original Uncharted. Uncharted 2, by design, can't be as influential as its predecessor.

More than direct sub genre... The echoes of its influence we'll carry on and a million different games. I'm trying to think of games that were so jaw-dropping and single-handedly expanded the horizon of what games can do. We're talking a tiny handful here.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Era really likes From Software games. People tell me that a combination of reading item descriptions and listening to incredibly vague dialogue is the best narrative gaming has to offer. That is just some hyperbole nonsense. The only thing Soulsborne thing do right when it comes to narrative is environmental storytelling. Sekiro just proves how bad From is at writing characters and a cohesive story. This is coming from someone who thinks Bloodborne is one of the best games of all time.
Yeah, and again, I'm someone who thinks Bloodborne is the peak of in game storytelling due to how it leverages the medium, but I am also cognizant of the simple fact that what Bloodborne does well that I love so much doesn't align with the larger preference when it comes to this sort of thing, and that's fine! Neither my preference is the correct one, nor is the preference of those who think otherwise.

tbh soulsborne games have aged better than all of the others.
This was absolutely evident in how the Skyrim remaster did relative to the Dark Souls one.
No, wait, the Skyrim remaster sold another few million copies, and the Dark Souls one sank without a trace.

Did one of your Persona dates go poorly or something?
"I don't actually have any meaningful counter argument, so let me put forth a wisecracking quip about your person instead"

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol It's all good

A breakthrough? I mean, it's certainly influential but I wouldn't call it a breakthrough by any means. Stuff like GTA or Super Mario 64 are what I'd call breakthroughs
Demon's Souls is definitely a breakthrough, and its DNA of design continues to reverberate in many games to this day. I mean, it's not a paradigm shift like the games you named, but it's definitely a breakthrough.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
lol It's all good

Those two, exactly. And demon's souls is the third. If you ask me, the story of modern gaming is Mario 64, Grand theft Auto 3, demon souls, and now breath of the wild.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and again, I'm someone who thinks Bloodborne is the peak of in game storytelling due to how it leverages the medium, but I am also cognizant of the simple fact that what Bloodborne does well that I love so much doesn't align with the larger preference when it comes to this sort of thing, and that's fine! Neither my preference is the correct one, nor is the preference of those who think otherwise.

This was absolutely evident in how the Skyrim remaster did relative to the Dark Souls one.
No, wait, the Skyrim remaster sold another few million copies, and the Dark Souls one sank without a trace.

"I don't actually have any meaningful counter argument, so let me put forth a wisecracking quip about your person instead"

You made no argument, just farted on your keyboard with the caps locked. I'll take that as a yes, btw.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of how much better Bloodborne is over the likes of The Witcher 3 (like, a thousand times better), The Witcher 3 just has a much broader appeal. That's just the reality of things, and in the conversation about awards and recognition, popularity is a more important metric than quality.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those two, exactly. And demon's souls is the third. If you ask me, the story of modern gaming is Mario 64, Grand theft Auto 3, demon souls, and now breath of the wild.
I'd disagree, not least because you are missing legitimate paradigm shifts such as Halo: CE, Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, Minecraft, Skyrim, Dark Souls, TLOU, and The Witcher 3 in that assessment.

You made no argument, just farted on your keyboard with the caps locked. I'll take that as a yes, btw.
"I still can't actually respond to your points, here, have more ad hominem"

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Are we seriously considering the game that was a bug-fest on release, has a terribly boring main story, mediocre clunky gameplay, generic high fantasy art design, and bad dialogue on the same level as Darksouls 1? Yes Skyrim sold a ton but that doesnt make it influential or a triumph of game design unlike the impact Darksouls obviously had on game development which is definitely more direct. I love Skyrim for the music, the scope of its world, its lore and its breath of content but you just need to compare dragons from both games to see how much less homogenized Darksouls is with its vision.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah tough competition and I think only two Japanese games have taken it at TGA, RE4 and BotW.

Sekiro's probably getting nominated this year but there have been stellar games like RE2 and Apex that's gonna fight for that spot. We might have a Sony juggernaut releasing later this year and Respawns Star Wars game can end up being crazy good.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'd disagree, not least because you are missing legitimate paradigm shifts such as Halo: CE, Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports, Angry Birds,, Minecraft, Skyrim, Dark Souls, TLOU, and The Witcher 3 in that assessment.

"I still can't actually respond to your points, here, have more ad hominem"

"let's play the reductive quote game because I'm really upset people love From games"

OK I can see the appeal

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we seriously considering the game that was a bug-fest on release, has a terribly boring main story, mediocre clunky gameplay, generic high fantasy art design, and bad dialogue on the same level as Darksouls 1? Yes Skyrim sold a ton but that doesnt make it influential or a triumph of game design unlike the impact Darksouls obviously had on game development which is definitely more direct. I love Skyrim for the music, the scope of its world, its lore and its breath of content but you just need to compare dragons from both games to see how much less homogenized Darksouls is with its vision.
My friend, if you legitimately think the influence of Dark Souls, or really, any game in the last ten years except for Modern Warfare, comes anywhere close to Skyrim's, you need to step back and get some perpsective.
Your personal assessment of Skyrim's merits or demerits is irrelevant. The game is literally marking an epochal shift in development, very little else compares.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'd disagree, not least because you are missing legitimate paradigm shifts such as Halo: CE, Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, Minecraft, Skyrim, Dark Souls, TLOU, and The Witcher 3 in that assessment.

Oh my god you're letting everyone into this party. The only one I would consider adding would be world of warcraft.

Oct 26, 2017
Demon's Souls is definitely a breakthrough, and its DNA of design continues to reverberate in many games to this day. I mean, it's not a paradigm shift like the games you named, but it's definitely a breakthrough.
I guess it depends on what you consider a breakthrough. It's definitely a shift from the sort of games we normally get so I can see that. I just always saw stuff like Skyrim, Call of Duty, and Uncharted as more influential titles

I would personally hesitate to consider BotW to be a breakthrough, at least until we see more of it's influence seep into future open world and even non-open world titles. I love the hell out of it but it's influence hasn't been felt just yet

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god you're letting everyone into this party. The only one I would consider adding would be world of warcraft.
Right, I forgot that!
The thing is, gaming is far too broad and diverse a medium for only three games to have defined it. The games I named, plus the ones you named, all collectively signify major shifts for the industry, we can't just ignore them.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'd be interested in influence Uncharted 2 made. Chrono Trigger is often listed as one of the best games of all time, but it didn't seem to have much influence on future JRPGs.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I always thought the Era bubble was just a meme but people are really gonna try and argue that Skyrim wasn't influential as fuck

Read my post above