Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Remember in Dark Souls III when there was a cutscene with a fountain pouring blood and it all led up to a ladder being lowered? What the hell was that?

Edgiest ladder ever.

Worst part is that the alpha version of that level just had a normal passage(just at the start of this video)

much better IMO

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God for the ignore option.

Oct 27, 2017
They are definitely up there. I also loved GOW series cutscenes. They were so good they could be compared to Lord of the rings style movie cinematics. GOW4 in particular was cool at how it was one shot the whole game.

Sparse

Oct 27, 2017
For fuck's sake. Bloodborne is probably one of my top 10 games of the last five years, and so far Sekiro had been alright, but this flaggelation over their work is off-putting and downright embarrassing.

Love what you love, but saying it's the tippest of the top at everything is folly.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about unparalleled, but there's something so slow and deliberate about their cutscenes which I really love

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The hyperbole surrounding From's games is out of control in this forum right now...
That cutscene is similar to >50% of the cutscenes of the ps2 era. I guess it's good, if you have never seen real cinematography in the works (film, tv shows, even other games).
People need to understand that they can love a game without every inch of that game being the best the industry has to offer.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thread title is a bit hyperbolic. I would agree if the question was, "Do you think From Software's cutscenes are underrated?" because they're actually really good! But, no man, no, they are not unparalleled, lol.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Clearly we don't deserve the seventh world wonder that is from software and their genius Miyazaki sama.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont even like Sekiro but holy SHIT when did this forum become a From Hate Party with the dumbass echochamber in this thread?

Honestly wouldn't doubt it if people making posts like "FromSoft's the best at X" don't play many games, in fact, I'd wager they only play FromSoft games. FromSoft's really good at making a polished experience that supports a single goal, typically creating an immersive world, but the things people say they're the best at outside that, gameplay, level design, cinematography, are easily outdone by other games. Seriously. Gameplay? DMC5 did it better. Atmosphere? Majora's Mask did it better. Cinematography? Metal Gear Solid 3 did it better.
This post is embarrassing

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I get that "From Software's cutscenes are pretty good, I really like them" wouldn't draw nearly as much attention as you current title OP, but I man, come on. Unparalleled?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love From but this is too much

There is nothing special about their cinematics at all

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
From Software's cutscene direction is quite good yes, unparalleled? No.

I'll have to REALLY disagree with this. The one thing I dislike the most about Witcher 3 is the horrible cutscene direction. It's really really bad.

The way characters "wait for their turn to act" between camera cuts will never not be jarring when playing any Witcher game.
The fully animated cutscenes don't have this issue.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I like their style, slow and methodical. I was able to enjoy every cutscene from their games.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I feel like this is confusing liking their art for amazing cinematography. Those are all pretty workmanlike shots that happen to be of cool-looking monsters and swords and stuff. Especially when there are whole genres of games out there whose key goal is to look cinematic, I don't think From's cinematography can really compete with, say, Uncharted or God of War or whatever.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The comet to take you all to FromSoftware's homeworld is fast approaching!

But seriously no, not at all. God of War and Red Dead Redemption II both have much better cinematography and that's just last year.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
[laughs in Square (Enix)] From Software's fanbase is starting to make me feel embarrassed for liking their games.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Okay. Getting tired of "you cant compare From to anything" threads.

I really like their cinemtography, Its something I notice when I play their games. Its not absent from other games though so lets not say that only From does this.

Oct 29, 2017
For this thread, yes. I feel like i just woke up in the twilight zone, where weve gone from jerking off From everywhere to now 95% of posts shitting on them and the OP in childish ways.
It's basically a lot of threads about them and these type of threads( "X is the best thign ever!!") inviting dumb reactions from some people.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That shot where it showed owls shadow on the floor. Slow pull back and him withdrawing his sword from the sheath. Or was it genichiro. It was on the roof area. Soooooo sickkkkk

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
More recently than MGS3, I was also really impressed with the opening credits sequences for Tales from the Borderlands.

Pretty hefty spoilers in the second vid, just a warning.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For this thread, yes. I feel like i just woke up in the twilight zone, where weve gone from jerking off From everywhere to now 95% of posts shitting on them and the OP in childish ways.
It's pretty grating to constantly see "isn't From better at everything than everyone else."

No, they're not. They're very good at some things, but other things don't stand out at all, like the cutscene in the OP. There was nothing special about that and I feel like I've seen it in games since Devil May Cry on the PS2.