DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021

Huge news: Anime just powered up! Funimation, which serves millions of anime fans in over 52 countries and 10 languages, will be unifying under the Crunchyroll brand. This move will include Funimation's subsidiary, Wakanim, as well as Crunchyroll's VRV to create one subscription service for our anime fans worldwide.
What does this mean?

This means all your anime, all on one platform. Starting today, tons of shows and movies from Funimation and Wakanim will begin arriving on Crunchyroll—so you'll get more dubs, more subs, more everything. That includes titles available now like My Hero Academia, Tokyo Ghoul and Yu Yu Hakusho alongside favorites like Cowboy Bebop and Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation, all under one subscription! Check out the list of new arrivals on Crunchyroll, with much more to come!
This also means new series in the upcoming Spring season (the biggest on record—stay tuned!) and beyond will only stream on Crunchyroll. Moving forward, Funimation will only add new episodes of continuing series, which means Funimation users will want to move to a Crunchyroll account as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
W in Weebs stands for Win at the cost of monopolization

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprised they chose to go under the crunchyroll branding, glad to see the libraries combining though... One sub for all that content will be nice

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I have both a Crunchyroll subscription and a Funimation subscription, should I cancel one of them?

All new series from the upcoming spring 2022 season will stream exclusively on Crunchyroll going forward and you will be able to watch 80% of Funimation and Wakanim's most popular existing series on Crunchyroll by the end of March 2022. So, if you already have a Crunchyroll subscription, then you're all set and can go ahead and cancel Funimation when you're ready! Please note that you won't see your Funimation watch history or queue in Crunchyroll yet. We're working on that right now. Find out how to cancel your Funimation subscription here.

When is X series from Funimation going to be available on Crunchyroll?

We want to get the content you love on Funimation, available for you here on Crunchyroll as soon as possible. Many series are available now, and we'll continue adding more shows from Funimation on a regular basis after that. All new series from the upcoming spring season will also stream exclusively on Crunchyroll going forward.

Seems like they are going to take time to move everything, but Funimation is dead and wont get new shows

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
It's because Funimation has a large amount of users grandfathered in at old, low subscription prices from pre-Sony.

Dirty trick, Sony.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Not surprised they picked the CrunchyRoll name but god, it's probably one of the worst apps out there for viewing. And that's saying something because Funimation's also sucks.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I wanted to sub to Crunchyroll, only to find out that it doesn't have the english dub of One Piece (which is the one I'm watching while I work), and Funimation is straight-up not available in my country. Hopefully this is a worldwide deal, I would get the annual sub of Crunchyroll without a second thought.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, both apps are terrible. Crunchyroll more so, the UI is always so sluggish. Hope they improve it.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Looks like their biggest competition is Netflix now. Crunchyroll is one of the only subs I pay for, but I don't really love them monopolizing anime streaming

At the same time, I do wish they'd gotten streaming rights to Stone Ocean instead of Netflix

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Now add profiles to crunchy please so my daughter stops messing up my episodes. Thanks.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
So is Crunchyroll dropping the price in the UK to match Funimation, or is it just a massive "screw you" and those of us who subscribe to Funimation just got a price increase if we want to watch new stuff.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So is Crunchyroll dropping the price in the UK to match Funimation, or is it just a massive "screw you" and those of us who subscribe to Funimation just got a price increase if we want to watch new stuff.

Looks like it's the latter.

THIS was how Sony found the way to jack up the price on the lot of us grandfathered-in to $5.99 a month (or w/e it was in the UK)

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're finally consolidating the libraries but I would have rather it been into Funimation. Crunchyroll doesn't even have an app for my Samsung tv.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Welp at least thats one less subsciption needing paid every month

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crunchyroll is available in my country but not Funimation. Was anything mentioned about region restriction?

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's the latter.

THIS was how Sony found the way to jack up the price on the lot of us grandfathered-in to $5.99 a month (or w/e it was in the UK)
Funimation has always been £5 a month even if you sign up today, cheapest Crunchyroll sub is £6.50 and with that you lose multiple streams at once and offline play. For an on-par sub, it's a £3 (60%) increase in price, or having to pay for the year and that's STILL more expensive, working out at £6.60 a month.

Oct 25, 2017
so nothing about grandfathered legacy funimation memberships ($60 yearly right now, would a $40 price increase to just move over).

Also CR has never uploaded home video versions of shows, like Funi does. Is that going to change?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Canceled Funimation a while back because I was waiting for this news. Will definitely subscribe again now.
That's a lot of content for the price.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The newcomer list doesn't include Higurashi Gou -.-

Hope it's added soon

Funimation has always been £5 a month even if you sign up today, cheapest Crunchyroll sub is £6.50 and with that you lose multiple streams at once and offline play. For an on-par sub, it's a £3 (60%) increase in price, or having to pay for the year and that's STILL more expensive, working out at £6.60 a month.

But this will include the 2 libraries combined

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not a big anime person, but as someone with a free VRV premium account, what does this mean for VRV?

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they do something about the CR app because both VRV and Funimation are way better to use lol

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Lol at Blunder Egg Priority being one of the first shows they added across

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Now I can only hope they improve the Fire Cube app. I've been using my Series X for the meantime because it runs and buffers better, but would be nice to have all my entertainment through my entertainment box

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Same, well once this month of funi ends

Heads up, you might get 2 months free of the Premium tier, depending on what qualified means:

That's why now, as a welcome to the new Crunchyroll family, Funimation, Wakanim, and VRV subscribers get a special deal for 60 days of Crunchyroll Premium free! Over the next few days, qualified Funimation, Wakanim, and VRV subscribers will receive an email with their unique link to redeem.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else remember when Crunchyroll was a site that hosted illegal anime episodes? Way back in they day. Crazy to see how they've not only legitimized, but gotten so big