PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This is convenient, I canceled my Funimation monthly sub a month or so ago because I needed to trim my number of services.

I went to check after seeing their question, to find that I am grandfathered into some $59.95 yearly subscription. I don't even have the option to switch to the monthly plans, not that I would given I'm paying less than $5 a month overall.

Lucky! I was grandfathered in to Funimation so even at the $7.99 tier it's going to be a jump yearly for us lol. Talked it over with the wife and anime is our main source of TV watching so it is what it is, alas! Thankfully since the kids don't watch too much that we should be fine with just one screen to stream and we don't care for any physical swag from the higher tiers! XD

We do have a yearly Hidive account. So maybe we should make a point to cancel CR whenever we have a series we're focusing on there or Netflix instead.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is pretty awesome, I just hope they invest in making their app better.
I hope so. The console Crunchyroll app is garbage and I swear buffers more than it needs to compared to equivalent apps. You can't even adjust the stream quality in the settings so ever so often the video quality will tank for a couple of minutes since it is set to auto probably.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

For as much as people complain about Funimation's web player, I think it's also worth noting that Crunchyroll's app has also been a mess with how they actually catalog their series. I hope they finally clean it up.

20220301_175419.jpg

God CR is so fucking bad
Yeah it baffles me that an app with such a specific focus could be so bad at this aspect. The Funimation app has a multitude of problems, but at least it got that aspect mostly right.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I emailed Funimation this morning because my subscription renewed yesterday. They JUST responded and said I would get a full refund in 7-10 days.

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
So wait. Does my Funimation subscription rollover to Crunchyroll, or do I need to resubscribe?

There is no account merging at the time so you either have to resub or create a new Crunchyroll account if you haven't already. For the latter, current Funimation subscribers are supposed to be getting a 2-month promo in their email if they've never had a Crunchyroll account.

Funimation account transfer info

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they spend some money on investing in their infrastructure. I canceled my Crunchyroll subscription last summer because I simply could not watch even a single episode without the stream crashing. And then I literally had to restart my PS5 to continue watching. Just closing and reopening the app did not work. And I got the same stream crashes in the web browser, so it was definitely a server thing. Well, the app not recovering was PS5 specific I guess.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Glad that CR lives... It's the only anime site who has proper support for .ass subtitles (meaning decent typesetting for shows).

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Just got an email back from customer service:

Screenshot-2022-03-01-142812.png

DinkyDev, can this get threadmarked for those of us who had Annual subs with Funimation?
Oh nice.

I think I'll get signed up for a Crunchyroll account tonight then. I'll take out a subscription then it sounds like they'll add my remaining Funi sub time to it.

My annual $60 sub renewing just last month looks like it's going to work out as a benefit then!

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Oh nice.

I think I'll get signed up for a Crunchyroll account tonight then. I'll take out a subscription then it sounds like they'll add my remaining Funi sub time to it.

My annual $60 sub renewing just last month looks like it's going to work out as a benefit then!

This is really freakin good. Hope they do the same with others (myself included lol)!

Yeah, you just got to make sure to contact the customer service so that they can verify your accounts.

Gunny T Highway

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just got an email back from customer service:

Screenshot-2022-03-01-142812.png

DinkyDev, can this get threadmarked for those of us who had Annual subs with Funimation?
Sweet. I am going to see what is actually going to be carried over before I contact them to transfer everything because I am in the middle of watching some older shows. But good that we are not having to eat the cost of our annual subs.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Unlike most, I've not really ran into sluggish UI issues, but I'm quite new to the app. I did, however, notice the ridiculous naming sense of the different localizations of series. S1 for sub, S2 for dub, S3 for another dub.. really?

That's an embarrassing issue to have for a worldwide streaming service..

Also, how is Demon Slayer not on this thing? Don't Sony basically own the anime rights or something? Are they missing any other big recent anime series?

Gunny T Highway

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Unlike most, I've not really ran into sluggish UI issues, but I'm quite new to the app. I did, however, notice the ridiculous naming sense of the different localizations of series. S1 for sub, S2 for dub, S3 for another dub.. really?

Also, how is Demon Slayer not on this thing? Don't Sony basically own the anime rights or something? Are they missing any other big recent anime series?
Titles are being added in waves.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah, hopefully they push an app update sooner than later. The Apple TV app works fine but the design is so archaic. I had to collect more seasons to find all the subs and subs.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Are you talking about Funimation or Crunchyroll, because Demon Slayer's definitely on Crunchyroll.

Unless this is a region-specific thing you're talking about?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so it sounds like Funimation as a whole is just being turned into Crunchyroll

FMyexw9VgAEzeM6

Wild considering Crunchyroll's origins

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Titles are being added in waves.
Are you talking about Funimation or Crunchyroll, because Demon Slayer's definitely on Crunchyroll.

Unless this is a region-specific thing you're talking about?
My bad. I should've been clear, but I'm tired. The first season of Demon Slayer is not available on Crunchyroll, while I had heard that it was available in the past.

I'm not sure about anything region specific, but that certainly is a possibility, as I live in the EU

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so it sounds like Funimation as a whole is just being turned into Crunchyroll

FMyexw9VgAEzeM6

Wild considering Crunchyroll's origins
again, considering how the Manga brand was handled by Funimation, I'm not shocked at all by this. Funimation as a brand and service will be completely gone in a year or two.

EDIT: sorry dp

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It is actually cheaper then $100. I forget but that $100 option includes some other benefits beyond CR anime sub.

I usually opt for the one that is around 69.99 a year but you have to search around to find it and once you are subbed for that year then I think the page option just opts to a page saying you're already premium until it expires.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My bad. I should've been clear, but I'm tired. The first season of Demon Slayer is not available on Crunchyroll, while I had heard that it was available in the past.

I'm not sure about anything region specific, but that certainly is a possibility, as I live in the EU
Damn, definitely a region thing then. That's super weird.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
finally, Funimation never worked in my region and it was annoying, and now my crynchyroll sub is finally worth the price I pay for it

Bengraven