Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Canceled my Funimation this morning. This is great news. It was a pain flipping between them and the Roku FM app sucked.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Never thought that I would be rooting for Netflix but they got a decent library and hopefully they can give Sony a run for their money.
I think one thing that will massively help is simultaneous weekly releases. If they want to be competitive in the anime scene, they can't keep doing this "release it in a batch months after the show airs" shit. When an anime (that isn't originally produced by Netflix, rather than just getting licensed by them) gets a Netflix licensing announcement is always met with frustration it seems.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Maybe this thread can also serve as a good location for people who had Funimation before to recommend a few exclusive titles from the last couple years. I've subscribed in small doses to watch Kaguya-sama s2 and did watch Wonder Egg Priority but have missed out on a number of other shows if they weren't on Hulu.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I think one thing that will massively help is simultaneous weekly releases. If they want to be competitive in the anime scene, they can't keep doing this "release it in a batch months after the show airs" shit. An anime (that isn't originally produced by Netflix, rather just getting licensed by them) getting a Netflix announcement is always met with frustration it seems.
I agree 100%

Practically nobody is talking about JoJo right now and that is insane to me.

Feb 9, 2018
I assume that this is just for streaming and that the physical home video releases will still carry the Funimation branding, correct? Or is the entire Funimation brand being done away with and even the DVDs/Blu-rays will have the Crunchyroll branding in the future? It's not clear from the article I read.

In any case, I've had a CR sub since 2013, but I had resisted subbing to Funi's service for quite some time. There were a few times where I was thinking about signing up for a free trial at the end of a season for a couple of shows exclusive to it, but I kept putting it off. Looks like that's a total non-issue anymore.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Kinda stoked to not have to pay two subs now.

But on the flip side, it's a bit concerning Sony has something of a monopolization on anime streaming at the moment as of this moment, and I can't see my Crunchyroll sub staying the price that it is for too long.

I really hope this doesn't fuck over consumers in the long run.

Netflix is big, and Disney is producing anime as well, both original (Twisted Wonderland, Visions) and licensing like a sequel to Tatami Galaxy

I think one thing that will massively help is simultaneous weekly releases. If they want to be competitive in the anime scene, they can't keep doing this "release it in a batch months after the show airs" shit. When an anime (that isn't originally produced by Netflix, rather than just getting licensed by them) gets a Netflix licensing announcement is always met with frustration it seems.

I think it sucks, but this video opened my eyes about the reason

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I submitted a customer service ticket so I'll see what they say. lol

They mentioned that any "continuing series" will still be added to Funimation so I imagine that AOT will continue to get added to Funimation. Basically that's just their way of saying anything Spring 2022 and onwards won't be available for streaming on Funimation's site.
Well at least I'll get AoT then. I'm waiting for the last few dubs to come out before I binge the second half of season 4.

I'm beginning to think that best case scenario for annual subscribers is going to be that we have to manually log a support ticket with customer service and won't get refunds but will get something like a code for 6 months of free Crunchyroll Premium instead of 2 months.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I have a Funi account and actually a few Digital Purchases. Wonder how this effects those. Fortunately the digital titles came from codes in my Blurays, so I still have the discs to fall back on.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Well at least I'll get AoT then. I'm waiting for the last few dubs to come out before I binge the second half of season 4.

I'm beginning to think that best case scenario for annual subscribers is going to be that we have to manually log a support ticket with customer service and won't get refunds but will get something like a code for 6 months of free Crunchyroll Premium instead of 2 months.

Honestly, I would be cool with that.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I would be cool with that.
Yeah I don't think it would be too terrible given that the annual Funi sub was only $60. I'm in the UK but subbed through the US since at the time they didn't have a UK streaming service, and even when they did the US one had way more content.

Netflix is big, and Disney is producing anime as well, both original (Twisted Wonderland, Visions) and licensing like a sequel to Tatami Galaxy
Amazon have also been getting quite a bit more anime lately from what I've noticed on Prime, with some of it (In the UK at least) marked as Prime Original/Exclusive.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
well that's cool ill tune in to see what they are offering. i don't even know what funimation had exclusive on their service.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does CR make Dub available along with sub for new releases? Or is Dub held back for a few weeks.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly most of the old stuff from Funi is region blocked for me. Completely expected given that they have to abide by whatever licensing terms they had when the licenses were signed, but I just wish Crunchyroll was more transparent about what actually is and isn't available worldwide in their announcement.

But presumably going forward stuff won't be region locked anymore, which is nice.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Canceled my VRV subscription since I think it said I was already paying for Crunchyroll Premium (though I never got double charged), will wait to see when my Funimation queue gets brought over to Crunchyroll, or at the very least, just wait for said shows to hit Crunchyroll & add them to my queue there.

Just wonder how pricing is gonna be affected. I'm glad to worry about 1 (or rather 2 due to VRV) less subscriptions, but hopefully it won't be too much of an increase.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah I don't think it would be too terrible given that the annual Funi sub was only $60. I'm in the UK but subbed through the US since at the time they didn't have a UK streaming service, and even when they did the US one had way more content.

Amazon have also been getting quite a bit more anime lately from what I've noticed on Prime, with some of it (In the UK at least) marked as Prime Original/Exclusive.
I would be fine with that as well. I think full refunds will be highly unlikely, but a compensation like 6 months free would be a good compromise.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that this is just for streaming and that the physical home video releases will still carry the Funimation branding, correct? Or is the entire Funimation brand being done away with and even the DVDs/Blu-rays will have the Crunchyroll branding in the future? It's not clear from the article I read.
Funimation home video releases are keeping the Funimation branding for the foreseeable future; they've already solicited titles through the end of May with no signs of changing anything on that front.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

From the looks of it, it seems like there is still a bit of integration work to be done. For now, it's mainly library migration to CR, likely the main reason for the 2 months of free CR until they sort out all the backend payment processing and other components etc.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Never thought that I would be rooting for Netflix but they got a decent library and hopefully they can give Sony a run for their money.
Hopefully Netflix can providing consistent subtitles as well as dub closed captioning. The state of some of Netflix's subs are so poor and only Funi is out there doing closed captioning.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
60 free days..whoo-hoo, my sub renews mid-August. Guess fuck all that time I paid for, amirite

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I imagine Funi will remain the home video brand at least for the near future at least. Maybe they'd co-brand it to transition. Physical anime is so incredibly expensive still (although obviously a lot cheaper than before) that I think it must be very, very niche at this point. I haven't bought any series I like in ages -- $50-60 for like half a season is just not a compelling price for me.

With that being said, I think if they do just fully transition to CR and eventually get rid of the Funi name in general it could be done without much difficulty. Funi's brand name is only especially valuable with older fans (of which I am one) who definitely aren't the primary audience for anime. Probably anyone under 25-30 couldn't care less about the Funi name since they didn't grow up relying on them and ADV mostly.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was expecting Anime Digital Network to be included in France since it's partially owned by Crunchyroll.

Oh well, paying for 2 subs is still better than paying for 3 subs.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland

For as much as people complain about Funimation's web player, I think it's also worth noting that Crunchyroll's app has also been a mess with how they actually catalog their series. I hope they finally clean it up.

Oct 25, 2017

For as much as people complain about Funimation's web player, I think it's also worth noting that Crunchyroll's app has also been a mess with how they actually catalog their series. I hope they finally clean it up.

from my limited experience with CR apps, the best is when things would get cut of, so you would get Like

Monster Girl Doct...
Monster Girl Doct...
Monster Girl Doct...

You had to click into each one to see which it even was.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
from my limited experience with CR apps, the best is when things would get cut of, so you would get Like

Monster Girl Doct...
Monster Girl Doct...
Monster Girl Doct...

You had to click into each one to see which it even was.

Yeah this is fucking awful

Like I wish there was just an audio selection for each season. The thing literally every other streaming service does. But for whatever reason, Crunchyroll has always uploaded them as separate individual seasons lol

I'm also not sure if they finally updated it, but they also wouldn't do Closed Captions for dubbed videos which also kind of sucks for accessibility reasons.

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
Sent an email to customer service about this because they made no mention what they're going to do for anyone who was on their annual subs. Like I get it, but I would also expect a refund for the remaining months if they're not going to add anymore new shows.

Keep me posted if you hear back. I also was on an annual subscription to both Funimation and Crunchyroll. I cancelled my Funimation sub but I want a refund for my remaining months at least by April 1st since that's when all content will be fully merged.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nice. There are a few shows that I wanted to watch on Funimation but don't want to pay a dime for it. This is a good news for me.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Huh, guess it's finally time to consider a sub for myself.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm none of the shows I'm watching on Funimation have moved over yet. Guess it will take a couple days

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I made a list of questions I submitted to funimation support, give you an idea of where confusion/frustration is coming from.

1) I have a Funimation Subscription active until July. The service starts becoming worthless with the spring updates. I only get 60 days free of crunchyroll. How will the rest of my remaining Funimation subscription be made up for.
2) My Funimation Subscription is a grandfathered $60 a year subscription. Will these plans be carried over to Crunchyroll, or will I be forced to have my price increased by $40 a year?
3) Funimation consistently uploads home video versions of its anime to the streaming platform. Will this continue on Crunchyroll. As it currently stands Akudama Drive just got its home video version uploaded on Funimation but it is missing on Crunchyroll.
4) On the same topic as above, Crunchyroll almost entirely lacks captions for written japanese in its english dub streams. Will this issue be fixed?
5) Crunchyroll separates its sub/dub into completely separate season listings that can be hard to parse through. Is there any intent to move over Funimation's handling of language and version selection to Crunchyroll?
6) Funimation currently offers free shipping to premium subscribers...this is about the only reason I buy things there instead of Amazon. Will there be any alternative?

This is a good list of questions. Could you let me know what they tell you in response? My sub is active until August so it falls in a similar situation to yours.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good list of questions. Could you let me know what they tell you in response? My sub is active until August so it falls in a similar situation to yours.
yea, though you should at least submit a ticket now about your yearly sub. They are telling people to do that on twitter...with absolutely 0 clarity on how they will help with it...

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
yea, though you should at least submit a ticket now about your yearly sub. They are telling people to do that on twitter...with absolutely 0 clarity on how they will help with it...

Yeah I'll submit a ticket when it's my lunch break. I don't expect anything to be done about the grandfathered price tier. I viewed that as a PR move to sate current customers and I have no doubts that Sony wants to boot people off it.

To be honest, now that I read through more of the thread, realizing that older stuff isn't vanishing right away, I'll just use the rest of my time watching old stuff, unless there's a "website shut down" time that I haven't seen in the FAQ.

Sucks for some of my digital stuff.......I can't even really get access to them via Funimation as is. Guess I know why they haven't bothered fixing it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Netflix can providing consistent subtitles as well as dub closed captioning. The state of some of Netflix's subs are so poor and only Funi is out there doing closed captioning.

Between stuff like this, Funi subbing intros/outros, and varying app quality across different platforms, I really hope this whole merger initiative prioritizes bringing the best all these various services have to offer.

Presumably, CR is now going to have the benefit of a lot more resources behind it, and I'd expect Sony would want a premium experience for its customers now that it's doubling down as a custodian of anime. I hope this all goes in a positive direction instead of suffering from the usual corporate compromises.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The beta player is better than what they used to have, but it's still ass compared to Funimation's.

Different strokes, I guess. Funimation regularly fucks up for me to the point where like the next/prev episode buttons wont even work, so I'd consider crunchy better nowadays, at least on desktop.

Netflix just spoils me with a competent player, i guess.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully a lot of effort is put in to improve the user experience on Crunchyroll, I do enjoy using the service but man it's a pain to browse sometimes.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Aww man. I've been grandfathered into the cheap Funimation sub for years, mostly for the One Piece dub and a few other shows here and there.

Haven't subscribed to Crunchyroll in like 5 or 6 years but I've been using the app recently with a free trial and it's way worse than the Funimation app. And English dubs (at least the ones I'm watching) don't appear to have an English subtitles option on there unlike most stuff on Funimation.

I guess maybe they'll work on bringing that stuff up to par, but I wouldn't count on it. I'll probably just cling to my Funimation sub until they phase it out completely or enough new stuff I want to watch comes to Crunchyroll instead.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame because I don't think there is a Crunchyroll app on Samsung smart TVs. I'll have to be using the PS4.