• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Make sure to check the threadmark. Eurogamer's interview with Infinity's lead sheds some light on the team's thought process regarding this change and gives a bit more information on what to expect.

Original post below:

Lots of Assassin's Creed news coming out today, but I think this bit is thread-worthy as well since it's related to a topic that has been a big point of contention within the AC community. Beginning with Mirage, it appears that Ubisoft will no longer be including present-day story segments inside of the main portions of the game. That said, they aren't entirely eliminating the ongoing modern narrative either, though their approach to it will be different between Mirage and Infinity.

First off, regarding Assassin's Creed: Mirage:

creative director Stephane Boudon said:
No, we decided to not put in any present-day or future playable missions in Assassin's Creed Mirage because we wanted to really focus on the story of Basim when he was in Baghdad in the Ninth Century. So, you are still in the Animus obviously. It's core to the Assassin's Creed franchise, so you will start with Animus and there's also an ending, but we won't have any gameplay for present-day during the whole game.

And then, regarding Assassin's Creed: Infinity, which will be the hub for all mainline AC games after Mirage:

www.ign.com

What Is Assassin’s Creed Infinity? Ubisoft Explains the Next Phase of its Historical Series - IGN

IGN spoke to Ubisoft to learn how Assassin's Creed Infinity will change the series' future, genre, multiplayer, game lengths, and the modern day storyline.

project lead Marc-Alexis Côté said:
"People who love just immersing themselves in the past will be able to jump right in there and never be interrupted or need to know who Desmond and Layla is," says Côté. The implication, then, is that the main games will now be solely set in the past.

So if Infinity does feature a storyline, but is not a game, does that mean we won't be controlling a modern-day protagonist any more? I ask if the meta storyline will be limited to things like audio logs and email chains.

"The way we tell the story will evolve with time," says Côté. "It's something that we're doing for the long term, not for the short term. But the abstraction that we want people to have is [Infinity] is your Animus. It is your DNA explorer on your desktop. You are the main story character."

Tl;dr:
  • In Mirage, while the game will begin with someone entering an Animus to relive Basim's memories and there will be some sort of ending to that part of the game's narrative, there will be no interruptions during the historical story of the game
  • In Infinity, the hub is presented as the player's very own Animus, with each game (Red, Hexe, Invictus, etc.) being presented as a memory for the player to explore. Each game will exclusively be set in the past, and any story elements tied to the modern storyline will be part of Infinity rather than the game, with the player serving as the main character in the story

I'm of two minds on this:

On one hand, this is great news for anyone who has found the modern elements to detract from the game. For the most part, they'll be able to just play the historical stories without having to think much about the other side of the story, to an even bigger degree than games like Unity and Syndicate. And it sounds like since they aren't entirely eliminating that story and are instead just separating it out into its own thing within Infinity, those of us who enjoy the overarching narrative will still have something to follow. It sounds like a win-win, right?

But on the other hand... Ubisoft tried somewhat similar (but not the same) approaches in Unity and Syndicate, and those games' modern stories ended up being pretty lackluster for many of us who were actually interested in it. There was very minimal story presented in them, and what was there was limited to cutscenes and text logs, with nothing being playable. Syndicate's cutscenes were at least more interesting and did actually tell a story, but there was still no gameplay to it, and the cutscenes were only ten minutes in overall length.

Now, to give Ubisoft benefit of the doubt, they haven't said that there won't be any modern gameplay in Infinity, and they say that the way they tell the modern story will "evolve with time". We don't actually know if they're taking inspiration from Unity and Syndicate by only having audio and text logs, a few cutscenes, etc., or if they do have something more involved planned. Perhaps they do intend to have stuff people can actually play if they want to, maybe in the form of limited-time events or something since they like to tell the story in "real-time". However, there have been many points over the years where it's felt like this aspect of the series has become more of an afterthought and a hindrance to what they'd like to do, which is why it instills little confidence to hear that it's being separated from the main games. I feel like the only clear "winners" with this news are people who don't enjoy the modern narrative, while those of us who do like it are, as always, left to wonder if we're going to get something worthwhile or just some more breadcrumbs.

Either way, I'm interested to see how exactly this works in Infinite. I'm at least glad it isn't going away entirely, and I am genuinely happy for those who have fallen off of it or have never enjoyed it. This should help them enjoy each game more.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I as a modern segment hater am ok with this but lately it's been so minimal if I didn't want to interact with it that I mostly feel bad for the people who value the modern stuff

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"Mirage is not the future of the franchise, it's not a side step, it's not backward. It's just that this is here, and you can enjoy it, so let's celebrate."
www.gamespot.com

Assassin's Creed Mirage Sounds Like A Fantastic Return To The Series' Roots

The 13th mainline Assassin's Creed takes inspiration from multiple games across the 15-year-old franchise.

and there's already been confirmation that there will also be a modern day ending. Odyssey and Valhalla already pretty much let you play through their entirety without forcing you out of the animus. So that's most likely the direction going forward.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still shocked we never got an full AC set in the modern day. Even just once. Like it was set up in AC3 and I actually really liked those segments... And then it just never happened again. I feel like if done right, it could be done incredibly well.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
The modern segments is literally why Assassin's Creed is interesting. It was about viewing the past to solve a modern problem.

That was a fucking cool concept.

They absolutely ruined it after 3.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
That's weird. The second they start having an interesting modern story again they go away from it.

Basim's modern perspective could have been cool.But I know a lot of ppl wouldn't have liked it though since he's not necessarily a good guy or whatever

Last edited:

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus they really want the fanbase back.

- Japan setting? Check.
- Classic AC gameplay? Check.
- No modern segments? Check.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I know many here will celebrate this, but I'm not a fan of this decision. Still curious to see exactly how they plan to handle the modern story stuff because at least they're trying something new, but I can't give them the benefit of the doubt based on how they've been handling it since AC3. At least it will be easier to ignore new AC entries if the setting doesn't interest me.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

- Japan setting? Check.
There's a sizeable portion of the fanbase who enjoy the modern storyline. This news will please many (maybe even most, admittedly, going by that other thread on here) and also disappoint many.

I know many here will celebrate this, but I'm not a fan of this decision. Still curious to see exactly how they plan to handle the modern story stuff because at least they're trying something new, but I can't give them the benefit of the doubt based on how they've been handling it since AC3. At least it will be easier to ignore new AC entries if the setting doesn't interest me.
I feel like (or hope, at least) they must have something decent in mind considering what they set up in Valhalla. Unless they somehow conclude it with that game's upcoming last chapter, which I don't think they can really feasibly do, then it'll play a part in what happens going forward. I mean, we've gone back to characters like Layla, Desmond, etc. trying to stop the literal end of the world. But it's like you said: it's really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt considering how many times they've dropped the ball with this aspect of the series over the years.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Man its sad what happened to this IP. Modern storyline was the best/most interesting part that tied the entire story together and made it unique back in the day.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

- Japan setting? Check.
Assassin Creed set in Japan is still an RPG type game. I think the modern day sections are divisive among the fanbase, some people think they need to be more like the Desmond storyline.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still shocked we never got an full AC set in the modern day. Even just once. Like it was set up in AC3 and I actually really liked those segments... And then it just never happened again. I feel like if done right, it could be done incredibly well.
That'd require a massive revamp of everything they've invested in. And also introduce a ton of design problems. You mentioned the AC3 segments but remember how the solders almost exclusively used melee weapons? Or how in Origins the soldiers only had bow and arrows?

- Japan setting? Check.
The one set in Japan is an RPG made by the Odyssey team. Mirage isn't indicative of what the other teams are doing.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's just not Assassin's Creed to me without all the fun conspiracy history stuff that tied it all together 🤷🏻‍♂️
but that part of the games has been neutered into oblivion anyway for some time now so idk...

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Good. I enjoy AC for the historical settings, and I always let out a big sigh whenever it got interrupted by the pointless modern times stuff.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news. This is exactly what I've been wanting them to do for a while now. I actually really like the idea that Infinity is more or less the Animus, and you're just booting up the games from it without the modern day stuff bogging down the games themselves. Keeping it separate so people can just interact with it if they want or ignore it if they don't seems like the best option.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
It is pretty obvious that as the series went on they didn't really knew what to make of the modern meta-narrative, it became very weird and convoluted.

That being said I would prefer if they don't eliminate it entierly. It's a big part of the identity of the franchise.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
I never got in to Assassin's Creed because of the extra layer of abstraction of the Animus/modern day setting.

The computer/TV screen is the only layer of abstraction I want - the idea that I'm playing a videogame of somebody playing a videogame of the given setting just kinda wrecks it for me somehow.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It's just not Assassin's Creed to me without all the fun conspiracy history stuff that tied it all together 🤷🏻‍♂️
but that part of the games has been neutered into oblivion anyway for some time now so idk...

Yeah, I bailed for the most part after AC4. The ending was not subtle but I appreciated the send-off for the older style of these games.

And yes, without the modern day conspiracy stuff, there's not much in the plot of AC games that's interesting.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That'd require a massive revamp of everything they've invested in. And also introduce a ton of design problems. You mentioned the AC3 segments but remember how the solders almost exclusively used melee weapons? Or how in Origins the soldiers only had bow and arrows?

True, but still. It could be interesting for a one-off. Like it would be an open world game with a heavier focus on interiors. I feel like a lot of open world games set in present day cities always have most interiors be super small or instanced from the rest of the game.

Also maybe set it in a fictional city where they're smart and guns are outlawed or something lol

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
This franchise has ruined the potential of the present day segments. We never got to play a campaign as a modern day assassin, and that's clearly what the early games were teasing. 15 years of them half-assing the out-of-Animus experience when we could have gotten some trippy, multiple timeline adventures. Something that probably was impossible on the PS3/360, but would be completely doable now.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Great. The Animus shit was the worst part of each game.

And after they fucked over Desmond it became pointless

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This franchise has ruined the potential of the present day segments. We never got to play a campaign as a modern day assassin, and that's clearly what the early games were teasing. 15 years of them half-assing the out-of-Animus experience when we could have gotten some trippy, multiple timeline adventures. Something that probably was impossible on the PS3/360, but would be completely doable now.
Yep. Pre-AC3 that was what everyone hoped it would lead up to, then they completely fumbled it with Desmond's conclusion. After that I stopped caring about the modern day storyline. None of what they've done with Layla interested me in the slightest.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent news. All that's left is to gut the animus contrivance entirely and then we'll be freeeee

The modern day/animus stuff really ruined Odyssey. Just so deeply unnecessary in an otherwise enjoyable game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
True, but still. It could be interesting for a one-off. Like it would be an open world game with a heavier focus on interiors. I feel like a lot of open world games set in present day cities always have most interiors be super small or instanced from the rest of the game.

Also maybe set it in a fictional city where they're smart and guns are outlawed or something lol
You should try Watch Dogs, as that's the closest thing we're getting to a modern day AC and only on a surface level. Turning a melee focused game into a gun focused one would have a totally different vibe as would setting it in the modern day completely remove the historical aspect.

Oct 29, 2017
The modern segments is literally why Assassin's Creed is interesting. It was about viewing the past to solve a modern problem.

That was a fucking cool concept.

They absolutely ruined it after 3.

Agreed, though the modern day has been pretty aimless and bad since 3 I don't think the answer is to stop doing it entirely. It seemed like with Basim they were finally on the right track with finding a new modern day angle that didn't suck.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the boat that a properly done modern story would be nice, but I'll sure as hell take nothing over whatever the fuck they've been doing for years.

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
I'll wait and see how infinity decides to tackle the modern day stuff. As others have said, the modern day conspiracy theory plot was what made the original games feel like there was something bigger about them aside from the historical setting. It was unfortunately abandoned after the weird ending they had after 3/4.

Honestly, the series became unappealing after 4 up until they rebooted it with Origins. I actually liked the modern day stuff in Valhalla, and it was the first time it felt like there was finally an overarching plot thread in the series once more.

What I think could be interesting with the direction that infinity is going is to clearly define the modern day plot as its own thing rather than feeling tacked on like it has been in the past decade. The only games that had a decent balance of history and modern elements were 1-3 and only 1 really focused on it to a large degree.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
they set such interesting stuff up with 2 and then just flopped right as they got to 3 and it hasn't been good since then.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I know a lot of people are probably on board for this but I'm not. I really liked the overarching narrative of AC 1-3 of Desmond and crew saving the world and I had hoped to see more expanded stories set in the modern day after that. I thought that Black Flag was like a sort of prequel feint, focusing on the assassins trying to stop Juno and setting up a new series of cool events. After playing Unity though I was so turned off by how it ended that I stopped playing the games altogether. I'd really like to return to this series but I need that grand storyline of the modern day assassins versus templars to move forward.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it. The modern story and seeing where the sci-fi alien Illuminati goes next based off of what happens in the past is what hooked me me, and anything that diminishes that diminishes my interest, especially if Infinity ends up being some hyper-connected, always online GaaS affair that it seems like it's going to end up being.

Feb 16, 2022
This is starting with Mirage which I confirmed will have absolutely no modern day playable segments.

press-start.com.au

Assassin's Creed Mirage Will Have No Modern Day Sections

Assassin's Creed Mirage Will Have No Modern Day Sections
The "playable" segments of the modern day part of the last 3 games were nebulous anyway. So this is just them streamlining it even more. I don't need them to be playable, just that they exist and keep going. From the trailer for Mirage, and as seen on the thumbnail of your article, we will still see the modern day story continuing. I'm fine with this approach.

It also makes it easier for them to release smaller, playable modern day segments later on through Infinity without having it be the overarching "out of the Animus" experience for a specific game.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I LOVED the modern day stuff from AC1 through the Ezio Trilogy. AC3 really killed all 9nterest I had in it, and even though AC4 went in a somewhat interesting direction, but I haven't cared about it since then.
To be fair I haven't played through many AC games after AC4, I think just Rogue actually, the games just came too fast and got too long to for me to play them all.

The Assassins vs. Templars is much more of what I care about to me at this point, whether it's modern day or not.