• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Grendy looks really solid, I dig the more heroic proportions. I think Z and Great Maz from Infinity are probably still the best modern glow ups of these old school designs, but this Grendizer is quite good.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not believing this until I see an actual episode on my screen.

Also, they really couldn't give us a Shin Mazinger sequel, huh. Thankfully SRW kind of finished that story.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's Grendizer. I think all of these designs shown so far look solid.

I never really got what was distinctive about this particular one over other '70s super robots - although I only looked at the manga, maybe the anime's a lot better. Duke Fleed's always had a cool costume though.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
That's no Grendizer, that's Goldorak ! French joke, it was SUPER popular here
Really hope to see more of it soon.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Koji pilots that dumb ufo thing (TFO), right? I know Grendizer is a different scale from the Mazingers but I always thought that he should still have some form of Mazinger there.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
That's no Grendizer, that's Goldorak ! French joke, it was SUPER popular here
Really hope to see more of it soon.
I recently visited France for the first time and let me tell you, the surprise at seeing a Grendizer toy in a store in 2023 was wild. I had NO IDEA it was popular over there at all! Even saw it in a toy museum I visited. Absolutely fascinating finding out what random mecha stuff was popular in other countries

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I recently visited France for the first time and let me tell you, the surprise at seeing a Grendizer toy in a store in 2023 was wild. I had NO IDEA it was popular over there at all! Even saw it in a toy museum I visited. Absolutely fascinating finding out what random mecha stuff was popular in other countries
It's no surprise that the Grendizer video game is being made in France.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I just hope bland-ass Kawagoe won't be directing this, but who am I kidding. Though he did gain my respect for Getter Arc, that was a pitiful production.

I'm not believing this until I see an actual episode on my screen.

Also, they really couldn't give us a Shin Mazinger sequel, huh. Thankfully SRW kind of finished that story.
They did?! Spoilers please! It's a shame they threw the GOAT Imagawa away, again. In any case, it ties up perfectly with the original Mazinger Z ending, any version. If you want a decent retro follow-up, try Ota's Great Mazinger manga. Then his Grendizer, which is nuts.
Yep, that's Grendizer. I think all of these designs shown so far look solid.

I never really got what was distinctive about this particular one over other '70s super robots - although I only looked at the manga, maybe the anime's a lot better. Duke Fleed's always had a cool costume though.
It was the first robot anime to be broadcast in Europe back in the late 70s. Kids went crazy.

OP
OP
SilentStorm

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Koji pilots that dumb ufo thing (TFO), right? I know Grendizer is a different scale from the Mazingers but I always thought that he should still have some form of Mazinger there.
Yeah, the TFO was just lame, at least we haven't seen any designs for it...then again, no design for Mazinger Z either...or any of the villains aside from Faru Faru, but that is an OC villain design created by a fan, so i doubt he will be more than a regular enemy and maybe even just be in the background.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Later on Kouji pilots the Double Spazer, which is a jet which also works as the Grendizer's Scrander. But, yeah, no robot at all in the tv show. It'd be very odd for a show nowadays to have only one main robot like that though. So, we'll see what they'll do.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Wow looks pretty dope.
Felt like forever since we got a new Go Nagai mecha project.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
I just want them to poor all that saudi money and give us a remake of Grendaizer vs Great Mazinger.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Hopefully they introduce a upgrade to grandizer like Mazinkaizer and Great Emperor G. Also, Kouji should actually pilot something other than the TFO in this one.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
They did?! Spoilers please! It's a shame they threw the GOAT Imagawa away, again.
Tetsuya is alive and in typical SRW fashion, he's in another universe. You meet him early on fighting Invaders from Shin Getter. During the Shin Mazinger cliffhanger ending, your party wins but out comes Ankoku Daishogun. His appearance causes Mazinger Zero to fully manifest from Mazinger Z and take control of Kouji. Everybody leaves because they're scared of the thing. Kabuto Kenzo got a new body. He, Tsubasa, and Juuzo's AI were secretly working on Mazin Emperor G, Tetsuya's upgrade. The next time you fight and beat Ankoku Daishogun, Hades arrives with his army. When you meet Mazinger Zero again, your party + Gendo from EVA come up with a plan to suppress it if not kill it. Mazin Emperor G is finished in time and Tetsuya helps fight Mazinger Zero with it.

Hades eventually gets rekt too but then comes Emperor of Darkness who doesn't stay very long before he also gets beaten. He gets sent to the future where he comes face to face with both Mazinger Zero and Getter Emperor and falls to complete despair.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of despise Infinity and hope it leans more into Shin but who am I kidding.

I'm French but Goldorak was somehow never on my radar, I'm curious to see how this pans out.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been reading Grendizer Giga? How's that turned out?

Now I'm thinking of Daimazinger too.

5774f673ad3f97d13530bqgcuo.jpg

Last edited:

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I never really got what was distinctive about this particular one over other '70s super robots -

What's really distinctive is that it was the first robot anime translated and aired on national TV, and aimed at a young audience (for france at least).

When I was a kid, it was a revolution compared to the very few existing kids show, that were really lame in comparison.

Goldorak/grendizer started a wave of anime and manga that still continues today 40 years later, and makes France one of the biggest market for japanese animation and comics.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Tetsuya is alive and in typical SRW fashion, he's in another universe. You meet him early on fighting Invaders from Shin Getter. During the Shin Mazinger cliffhanger ending, your party wins but out comes Ankoku Daishogun. His appearance causes Mazinger Zero to fully manifest from Mazinger Z and take control of Kouji. Everybody leaves because they're scared of the thing. Kabuto Kenzo got a new body. He, Tsubasa, and Juuzo's AI were secretly working on Mazin Emperor G, Tetsuya's upgrade. The next time you fight and beat Ankoku Daishogun, Hades arrives with his army. When you meet Mazinger Zero again, your party + Gendo from EVA come up with a plan to suppress it if not kill it. Mazin Emperor G is finished in time and Tetsuya helps fight Mazinger Zero with it.

Hades eventually gets rekt too but then comes Emperor of Darkness who doesn't stay very long before he also gets beaten. He gets sent to the future where he comes face to face with both Mazinger Zero and Getter Emperor and falls to complete despair.
Thank you! And sorry, that was far more complicated than I imagined

OP
OP
SilentStorm

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Official teaser has come out:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvLQriRdBA
Only now did i actually look at the cast, seems like the writer of Gundam:Witch From Mercury and Code Geass is the head writer of Grendizer U.

A year back, i would never bet that the writer of Code Geass would work on a new anime of the Mazinger franchise, but here we are.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Only now did i actually look at the cast, seems like the writer of Gundam:Witch From Mercury and Code Geass is the head writer of Grendizer U.

A year back, i would never bet that the writer of Code Geass would work on a new anime of the Mazinger franchise, but here we are.

Honestly, it's kinda selling Okouchi's resume a bit short. While there's duds like Valvrave in there, he has a long history in the mecha genre - Turn A Gundam, King Gainer, RahXephon, Eureka Seven, Code Geass, Comet Lucifer, and Witch from Mercury. Even the non-mecha stuff can be fairly notable, like Devilman Crybaby or Lupin III: Part 5. The biggest thing I suspect and would hope for is that he'd be someone to treat Grendizer with in-universe significance and symbolic weight - whether going with the 'the Vegans bult it as the ultimate vehicle of their conquest' or the 'it's actually Planet Fleed's ultimate weapon, built in the image of their war god' origins.

Fukuda has similarly been in the genre a long time - going back to Dragonar, of all series. Though most (in)famous for his work with Gundam SEED, and more recently Cross Ange, the man has done Exkaiser, Da-Garn, Wataru, Granzort, and Gear Fighter Dendoh - the latter of which honestly may take a lot of inspiration from Grendizer in the first place

Along with Tanaka Kouhei, and this might well end up feeling like a turn of the century Super Robot show made in the 2020s, and if they pull it off, I'd be here for it

OP
OP
SilentStorm

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
I looked more at the teaser, Mazinger Z is in one of the frames so it seems like the OG Mazinger will be in the series.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's shown as the last sketch at the end of the montage of sketches. Like I said, I couldn't see a modern show with just a single hero mecha so it makes sense they will actually allow Kouji to pilot a giant robot this time.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I do think Mazinger Z was in one of the manga where the robot museum was broken into, so I guess theoretically you could have Mazinger Z without Kouji piloting it. That would be silly though.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be disappointing if he didn't pilot it at all. Find a good pretext why he can't go all Mazin Power or anything for most of the series, but it'd be nice for Grendizer to be simply better integrated into the Mazin series.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I do think Mazinger Z was in one of the manga where the robot museum was broken into, so I guess theoretically you could have Mazinger Z without Kouji piloting it. That would be silly though.
That was in the Grendizer movie where the Vegans steal the Great Mazinger from the museum and Kouji is captured and brainwashed to pilot the Great, then also helps out in the Great for a bit after returning to normal, but only in the movie (The Mazinger Z is just shown in the museum and no one picks it up). In the manga, he actually pilots the Z in a later chapter though.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I could see them throw in the Mazinger retirement/abduction arc. Or a fake mazinger
Honestly, it's kinda selling Okouchi's resume a bit short. While there's duds like Valvrave in there, he has a long history in the mecha genre - Turn A Gundam, King Gainer, RahXephon, Eureka Seven, Code Geass, Comet Lucifer, and Witch from Mercury. Even the non-mecha stuff can be fairly notable, like Devilman Crybaby or Lupin III: Part 5. The biggest thing I suspect and would hope for is that he'd be someone to treat Grendizer with in-universe significance and symbolic weight - whether going with the 'the Vegans bult it as the ultimate vehicle of their conquest' or the 'it's actually Planet Fleed's ultimate weapon, built in the image of their war god' origins.

Fukuda has similarly been in the genre a long time - going back to Dragonar, of all series. Though most (in)famous for his work with Gundam SEED, and more recently Cross Ange, the man has done Exkaiser, Da-Garn, Wataru, Granzort, and Gear Fighter Dendoh - the latter of which honestly may take a lot of inspiration from Grendizer in the first place

Along with Tanaka Kouhei, and this might well end up feeling like a turn of the century Super Robot show made in the 2020s, and if they pull it off, I'd be here for it
Yeah the dude has cred. And this is the first dynamic mechs show with a budget in a decade(much as I liked the arc adaption). Definitely a fine pull

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Plus, Kouji going back to Mazinger Z when the events of Grendizer kick in is an SRW staple. There's plenty of reference for how it can be done

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, please keep them in the proper scale tho, Dizer does dwarf Z after all XD

I mean, shit, on a visual level that'd be an easy way to sell why Mazinger Z can't handle the threat. Yeah, sure, it's made of the nigh indestructible alloy that never lives up to its reputation anyway, but it's an 18 metre robot in a 30 metre robot show

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean, shit, on a visual level that'd be an easy way to sell why Mazinger Z can't handle the threat. Yeah, sure, it's made of the nigh indestructible alloy that never lives up to its reputation anyway, but it's an 18 metre robot in a 30 metre robot show
Wonder if we're getting the stolen/retooled, recaptured subplot.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017

I'm ready

View: https://twitter.com/MrJames079/status/1687746890899595264?t=Go3ypsgN2TG0k2dwx0zzJA&s=19

OP
OP
SilentStorm

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
I wonder if they will acknowledge Dr. Hell and Kouji will ever talk about the times he saved the world...likely just to explain him having a mecha.

I don't expect it, but i will be happy if Tetsuya and Great Mazinger are mentioned as well.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
They might try to shoehorn Mazinger and Great Mazinger into it to appeal to LATAM, Spain and Italy as Grendizer's popularity in these regions are very very low compared to the other 2 Go Nagai Robot shows.
Otherwise this only has a chance in Arab Countries and France.

OP
OP
SilentStorm

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Random question: What other anime were huge in Arab Countries?

Wonder if we will see any other new reboot or entry to a classic series, i think Tetsujin 28(1980) was decently popular at the time, but don't know if it's enough that anyone would pay for a new series...i would be excited, but doubt it will happen.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

Wonder if we will see any other new reboot or entry to a classic series, i think Tetsujin 28(1980) was decently popular at the time, but don't know if it's enough that anyone would pay for a new series...i would be excited, but doubt it will happen.

i'm not from any of these countries, but i talked to a few people from there who were saying captain tsuabasa was really big

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I think Tetsujin's like Astro Boy. It's the first giant robot manga and anime so it's viewed as historic.

3XbLoXq.jpg

EDIT: Wait, here's what I get for posting when I've just woken up, I didn't connect your first half of your post to the second. I remember accidentally starting my Middle Eastern coworkers on this subject and I think their favourite was Dragon Quest: Adventures of Dai, although that might just have been him, and he did like Grendizer.

Looking it up, one that seems to have distinctive popularity in Arabic-speaking regions is Dinosaur War Izenborg. At least Tsubaraya was involved in an Arabic documentary about the show.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Heyo there it is!
Looks like they let Koji keep Z as his support unit this time. (Which is fine, if it is the support unit. It's not that Z can't take the blows of the invader, it's just too small to be the vanguard). Makes more sense than a lightly armored jet. Always felt it got left out for licensing reasons. Unlike how Tetsuya actually moved on in the manga.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

Wonder if we will see any other new reboot or entry to a classic series, i think Tetsujin 28(1980) was decently popular at the time, but don't know if it's enough that anyone would pay for

I grew up in Iraq in lived there for 26 year ...
Ufo robot Grendizer is the most famous and biggest anime there
And you got Combattler V , Captain Tsubasa ، The Rose of Versailles ، The Arabian Nights: Adventures of Sinbad ، Sarutobi Sasuke and Future Boy Conan
Those are the biggest anime in the 80,90 period

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAct9da20A
Subbed trailer. It seems like they added an amnesia subplot.

news01_img.jpg

Kouji's pilot suit, a mix of his TFO and Mazinger Z suits.

Also, the Japanese site has been updated with more complete bios. This time it's explained the Grendizer can only be piloted by special people who have the "Starker"(? Maybe I'm missing something, スターカー) GN talent, whatever that means, and Duke is one of those. However, there's also an entire group of "Starker Knights" working for the Vegans, and you can see a Grendizer-like silver robot in the trailer. So, in addition to the Mazinger Z, we'll probably see a bunch of new Grendizer-like robots through the series.

grendizer-official.net

TVアニメ「グレンダイザーU」公式サイト

2023年放送開始!TVアニメ「グレンダイザーU」の公式サイトです。

Last edited: