• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway, welcome to another quintessential "Goddamnit, Nintendo!" incident, I guess.

This is one for the ages, lol.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let me put it this way: I don't see Nintendo putting out a more powerful sku for just $50 more than the OLED sku when they consider the OLED sku, which is a rather tiny revision (I'd argue less significant than Switch V2 was compared to Switch V1), to be worth a $50 price increase. As such, I am very skeptical of a more powerful device (the one that allegedly has DLSS) coming withing 12 months that is priced below $400.
I agree. If there is a DLSS switch coming down the pipeline I couldn't see them pricing it lower than $450 given this OLED model's pricing.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Small new Switch iterations every 2 years
2017: Original
2019: Better Battery
2021: OLED screen

THIS is what Iwata meant, not completely new powerful hardware.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Some "insiders" will just say "Uuuh that's weird that's totally not the info I have, let me check with my sources", disappear for 2 months then come back with new, unrelated rumors and we'll have all forgotten about this.
I kinda doubt that'll be the case with Bloomberg which I assume will have to release an article clarifying what happened to some extent.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Doing a Star Fox Grand Prix with a hardware model is quite a bit harder as you need to get NVIDIA along for the ride, since we have information about a mobile chip for a Pro device actually existing from people with sources inside NVIDIA. Nintendo are good, but I doubt they can fake a hardware chip as easily as they can a game.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doing a Star Fox Grand Prix with a hardware model is quite a bit harder as you need to get NVIDIA along for the ride, since we have information about a mobile chip for a Pro device actually existing from people with sources inside NVIDIA. Nintendo are good, but I doubt they can fake a hardware chip as easily as they can a game.
True, and I would bet something else is in the pipeline. Question is if it's just a successor model or some other revision. I'm suspecting more of the former at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
México
The worst case scenario would be that it's just a Switch XL. Innards are completely the same, but we get the 7" OLED display.
Oh God... heavens no!
Not really, because a new chip is basically all but confirmed.
That's scary. And the worst part is that it sounds possible.
Nintendo passed on the only chance for that with Mariko
Ugh, hope not please, nooo!
🤡🤡🤡

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's what I'm curious about. wonder if Kopite7Kimi will comment on this

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
The longer i think about it, the more ... fucked up the pricing seems.
The switch base design (API/OS, Joy cons, docking) is 4 years old.
The chips are 2 years old and are refreshes of ...5 or 6 year old designs.
And what does the price say?
50$ more, thats an 17% price increase.Two of those features (bettter kickstand, wired network)
can be added to the base for 15-25$ of of amazon...
This just screams greedy to me

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nate say before he hadn't heard the new SOC being taped out yet or something like that? If the chip is still being in development...

Still, how long can Nintendo stretch the usage of the original TX1? They dragged out the Wii and that bit them hard.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Laughable if that's the case. 4.5 years later and we get a slightly better battery and a low quality OLED screen.

I have no idea what they're doing.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nintendo is so fucking out of touch. They are promoting a system with an OLED display, and basically nothing else, as if it's this amazing new revolution. And it's a low quality OLED panel at that.

Awful.
Do we have any further information about the specs of the OLED panel?

That's what they already were doing with DS and 3DS, right?

Nov 3, 2017
Supposedly they did that before with Star Fox Grand Prix, but I'd bet there were two separate Switch models all along and insiders were unknowingly mixing the two up.

I feel so stupid. I should've caught on something was very wrong when no announcement was made prior to E3 despite sources saying it was 'imminent' due to game announcements that were pro enhanced/exclusive.

This goes beyond the 'plans changed' excuse because you don't just change hardware plans on such short notice. I'm absolutely shocked that Bloomberg seemed to have been conned by seemingly false info.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Let me put it this way: I don't see Nintendo putting out a more powerful sku for just $50 more than the OLED sku when they consider the OLED sku, which is a rather tiny revision (I'd argue less significant than Switch V2 was compared to Switch V1), to be worth a $50 price increase. As such, I am very skeptical of a more powerful device (the one that allegedly has DLSS) coming withing 12 months that is priced below $400.
Not all price increments are created equal. The higher the price to start with, the more significant each additional dollar needs to be in perceived consumer value. You can't just translate what Nintendo "thinks $50 is worth" from this model to a more expensive one, for them it's about production cost and successful marketing, not being consistent.

That said, the price is part of why I've said I don't expect the revision (if it exists) to do anything fancy in terms of storage, RAM, etc. That way the new chip is pretty much solely responsible for whatever price increase there needs to be.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I feel so stupid. I should've caught on something was very wrong when no announcement was made prior to E3 despite sources saying it was 'imminent' due to game announcements that were pro enhanced/exclusive.

This goes beyond the 'plans changed' excuse because you don't just change hardware plans on such short notice. I'm absolutely shocked that Bloomberg seemed to have been conned by seemingly false info.
Its a heavily produced Comercial trailer, with game fotage from games anouced at E3. This was never planed for befor E3, this takes weeks to prepare. It was probably being cut before and during E3, thats why some expected it to drop then, not thinking that such productions need way more time.

Falcato

Nov 2, 2017

Maybe the new Nvidia chip is for the upcoming not-yet-revealed Sega Game Gear 2 💡

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So it's just a Oled version of v2 and with 64GB storage and a few tweaks here and there and for $49 more? Seems a bit excessive when costs for the Switch have gone down

Very disappointed but I guess the next Switch will come out 2023 then.
Oh well my Switch battery is bad but I will upgrade to this

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
There have been some pessimistic guesses in this thread, but Nintendo has released a product that is even worse than those guesses.
This crappy product will cost $349.
It turns out that if you try to make a DLSSwitch like the one discussed in this thread, Nintendo will demand a ridiculous amount of money. 500? 600? sigh.

Perigeu

Jan 9, 2018
Brazil
There's not a whole lot of dislikes so people seem to be eating this up, as much as we all here just collapsed

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing the statements from Bloomberg.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly, Digital Foundry were exactly right about it

They were saying that all indications based on firmware sourcing was that it was just going to be similar to the 3DS model upgrades, where the specs were hte same but you'd get a larger screen.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I was afraid of something like this...
The rumbling about 4k, orin and so on is probably about switch succ... An iterative upgrade, maybe next year...

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
So it's just a Oled version of v2 and with 64GB storage and a few tweaks here and there and for $49 more? Seems a bit excessive when costs for the Switch have gone down

Very disappointed but I guess the next Switch will come out 2023 then.
Oh well my Switch battery is bad but I will upgrade to this

7" Oled screen, 64GB, enhanced sound, better stand, ethernet port, I would said thats are solid improvments for $50 difference,
also $50 price difference makes most sense compared to regular model, $319 or $329 would be little weird.

Actually costs of chips are up from Covid start.