How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is there enough info out there to get an idea of how powerful the next Switch would be? Relative to the PS5/XS or relative to other Nvidia products?

This podcast made by Resetera / Famiboards members zombl3, Dakhil, Alovon11, and 10k goes in-depth about the Switch 'Advance' possible specs from the Nvidia leak (24:18):

It's a good listen. What I've gleaned is in docked mode, like a PS4 Pro with DLSS. The leak didn't tell us about CPU configuration or the process node so we still don't have a complete picture, but the GPU is rather capable. The leak shows 12 SMs (streaming multiprocessors) when many speculated 4 - 8, vs. the original Switch's 2 SMs.

Another comparison:
Switch Shader cores: 256
PS4 Shader cores: 1,152

"Switch Advance"* Shader cores: 1,534 (plus 3rd gen Tensor cores, and 2nd gen RTX cores)
PS5 Shader cores:. 2,304

This is looking like a much smaller gap than last time.

Of course this is just one metric, one piece of a puzzle, and nvidia cuda cores and amd streaming processors aren't direct equivalents, however, that piece has to go with the rest of the puzzle, so while we don't know the specifics of everything, we do know Nintendo did not pay for this 12 SM gpu and then cripple the rest of the system just to pull a fast one on the ol Internet.

Switch: 256 shaders
Xb Durango 768 Shaders

"Switch Advance": 1,534 Shaders
XSs:. 1,280 Shaders
* Switch Advance is what I'm calling it because I like this name.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
90%? It feels like the Switch's lack of power is much more problematic in a lot of cases - where things like Witcher III is a real exception to the rule.
To me it's much more than 10% of possible ports that are stopped because of this.

It'd be a very different situation if the Switch actually reached (or almost) PS4's level, as PS4 can still have a lot of decent ports of very recent games.
The Switch is just lacking too much and too far behind that "acceptable" tier so too many ports are automatically stopped (even though "everything" is technically possible but then you're asking for unreasonable time/talent/money from most developers).

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This podcast made by Resetera / Famiboards members zombl3, Dakhil, Alovon11, and 10k goes in-depth about the Switch 'Advance' possible specs from the Nvidia leak (24:18):

It's a good listen. What I've gleaned is in docked mode, like a PS4 Pro with DLSS. The leak didn't tell us about CPU configuration or the process node so we still don't have a complete picture, but the GPU is rather capable. The leak shows 12 SMs (streaming multiprocessors) when many speculated 4 - 8, vs. the original Switch's 2 SMs.

Another comparison:

Interesting stuff! Gonna listen to that podcast too.

I like Switch Advance too! I'd love for that to somehow be the name.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
90%? It feels like the Switch's lack of power is much more problematic in a lot of cases - where things like Witcher III is a real exception to the rule.
To me it's much more than 10% of possible ports that are stopped because of this.

It'd be a very different situation if the Switch actually reached (or almost) PS4's level, as PS4 can still have a lot of decent ports of very recent games.
The Switch is just lacking too much and too far behind that "acceptable" tier so too many ports are automatically stopped (even though "everything" is technically possible but then you're asking for unreasonable time/talent/money from most developers).
I should say "potential ports". as in, the games that are not yet ported.

Hmm.
At the very least, I feel like now that publishers know the Switch is big, the first year of the next machine is gonna have a lot of PS4 ports, like all the ones that didn't get miracle Switch ports
I expect a fucking deluge of games come Drake launch. especially from some JP studios

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018

Another comparison:

I don't like this comparison very much at all, since how Nvidia even defines a "shader core" can be radically different. This, of course, also can't account for any deficiencies in memory bandwidth the new Switch will have since it'll have to be using LPDDR5, which can be quite fast, but not as optimized as GDDR5/6. TFLOPS would even be a more useful metric, frankly.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this comparison very much at all, since how Nvidia even defines a "shader core" can be radically different. This, of course, also can't account for any deficiencies in memory bandwidth the new Switch will have since it'll have to be using LPDDR5, which can be quite fast, but not as optimized as GDDR5/6. TFLOPS would even be a more useful metric, frankly.

I'm aware these comparisons are imperfect, that poster qualifies it:
Of course this is just one metric, one piece of a puzzle, and nvidia cuda cores and amd streaming processors aren't direct equivalents, however, that piece has to go with the rest of the puzzle, so while we don't know the specifics of everything

I can't wrap my head around direct comparisons because we don't know to what extent DLSS will be used, what resolutions are targeted, what process node is used, and as you mentioned, what memory. But my understanding is that this will be a more capable machine for ports than the Switch is especially in this cross-gen period where PS4/XBO are still target platforms.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Unless it's "Switch 2", I'm quite confident we're getting something like "_____ Switch" and not "Switch _____" so it emphasizes on how it's a new generation console, not a simple "upgrade" or new version like Switch Lite or Switch OLED, especially after the Wii U disaster.
"Switch Advance" sounds great and I like the reference, but I think it's too risky as the branding, positioning and name needs to be... Super clear lol, more than ever.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Switch Advance is cool, but if we're going with gameboy naming conventions I think I'd like Nintendo Switch SP (super powered) 😀
SP works if it's a mid-gen upgrade.
Unless it's "Switch 2", I'm quite confident we're getting something like "_____ Switch" and not "Switch _____" so it emphasizes on how it's a new generation console, not a simple "upgrade" or new version like Switch Lite or Switch OLED, especially after the Wii U disaster.
"Switch Advance" sounds great and I like the reference, but I think it's too risky as the branding, positioning and name needs to be... Super clear lol, more than ever.
Honestly, just keep it simple and go with Switch 2. Don't even risk a Wii U misunderstanding lol

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The gap will be more narrow this gen simply because of the series S, the new switch will be closer to a next gen console this gen than last gen

In raw power the new switch will only be like half way from the series S while this gen the current switch was 4 to 5 times away from the nearest next gen system

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Switch 2 makes the most sense at this point. They are going to be a ~6 years into the Switch by the time this thing launches, so there's no point in attempting to treat it as anything other than a successor.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch 2 makes the most sense at this point. They are going to be a ~6 years into the Switch by the time this thing launches, so there's no point in attempting to treat it as anything other than a successor.
Combine that with the fact the longest time span ever between Nintendo systems was 6 years 4 months and all the other ones were 6 years or less

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I expect a fucking deluge of games come Drake launch. especially from some JP studios
Capcom in particular will likely go full-force with PS4/XB1 ports (RE7/2make/3make/8, DMC5, Exoprimal, etc.) & maybe some current-gen stuff if the Switch 2 is up to the task (Pragmata, RE4make, SF6?, DD2, etc.).

The real question here is Monster Hunter 6. If the Switch 2 can handle the game, does Capcom port it over? Where would that leave the "Portable" branch (Rise, Generations, etc.)?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The real question here is Monster Hunter 6. If the Switch 2 can handle the game, does Capcom port it over? Where would that leave the "Portable" branch (Rise, Generations, etc.)?
Ooh that's interesting. Cause if the gap is smaller then might as well. World 2 launching everywhere at once would be huge.

Didn't 3DS have both branches of MH at some point? Maybe both teams would have games on all 4 platforms.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ooh that's interesting. Cause if the gap is smaller then might as well. World 2 launching everywhere at once would be huge.

Didn't 3DS have both branches of MH at some point? Maybe both teams would have games on all 4 platforms.
Yes, both "Mainline" & "Portable" MH games came out on 3DS for Gen 4.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We recently got a pretty big indication that the Switch 2 could be happening next year.
famiboards.com

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I am not saying that drake was the pro, I am suggesting that the pro was canceled and the drake was always intended to be the successor. My assumption is that Nintendo planned to do a pro either 2020 or 2021 and then launch the new console late 2023 or early 2024. I don't believe the new console...

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
We recently got a pretty big indication that the Switch 2 could be happening next year.
famiboards.com

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I am not saying that drake was the pro, I am suggesting that the pro was canceled and the drake was always intended to be the successor. My assumption is that Nintendo planned to do a pro either 2020 or 2021 and then launch the new console late 2023 or early 2024. I don't believe the new console...
I asked this in that thread, but would the same graph showing info from 2016 be online somewhere? That way we can compare numbers to when they were ramping up for the OG Switch.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I asked this in that thread, but would the same graph showing info from 2016 be online somewhere? That way we can compare numbers to when they were ramping up for the OG Switch.
Not sure, that would require a lot of digging.

Another question would be: how long does the stockpiling for new console releases take?
They'll probably need to stockpile well ahead of actual production. The SoC design is good to go according to the Nvidia leak, so a March 2023 release should be feasible with the data we have.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Finished GoodsWork in ProgressRaw Materials and Supplies
june 201524,019 million yen671 million yen2,649 million yen
june 20162,951 million yen21 million yen2,761 million yen
june 20174,528 million yen117 million yen2,169 million yen
june 20184,486 million yen63 million yen10,336 million yen
june 20193,175 million yen795 million yen32,432 million yen
june 20201,370 million yen19 million yen12,448 million yen
june 20211,680 million yen3,718 million yen9,553 million yen
june 20222,778 million yen69 million yen66,517 million yen

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
june 2015 - 2,649 million yen
june 2016 - 2,761 million yen
june 2017 - 2,169 million yen
june 2018 - 10,336 million yen
june 2019 - 32,432 million yen
june 2020 - 12,448 million yen
june 2021 - 9,553 million yen
june 2022 - 66,517 million yen

hmmmmm. could Nintendo be stockpiling easy to get things to be ahead of the curve on supply issues? that's something Toyota has been doing.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
hmmmmm. could Nintendo be stockpiling easy to get things to be ahead of the curve on supply issues? that's something Toyota has been doing.
That would make sense, & the sheer amount of materials they're buying would still indicate that the successor is coming since this far exceeds 2019 (Switch Lite & Switch Mariko).

nightcall333

Jan 16, 2022
Finished GoodsWork in ProgressRaw Materials and Supplies
june 201524,019 million yen671 million yen2,649 million yen
june 20162,951 million yen21 million yen2,761 million yen
june 20174,528 million yen117 million yen2,169 million yen
june 20184,486 million yen63 million yen10,336 million yen
june 20193,175 million yen795 million yen32,432 million yen
june 20201,370 million yen19 million yen12,448 million yen
june 20211,680 million yen3,718 million yen9,553 million yen
june 20222,778 million yen69 million yen66,517 million yen
If this is possible, could we have the same thing but even earlier, like as far as from 2010 ? If think it would be interesting because there is a problem here : although this is financial data, the > 66M yen cap for the raw materials they reached this year is far above every other year's, more than 20 times higher than one year prior to the switch's release. So either there must be some massive changes in the way they buy/stock these materials (I'm not an industry neither a financial expert so I really don't know) or there's a proper next gen console going into mass production for a release in 2024/2025 and that 2 or 3 years gap between first party industry investment and the product release would explain the raw materials not being high at all in 2015 and 2016. Also I noticed in 2015 the WIP was at its second highest value ever since, again 2 years before the release of the Switch, although in this case it may explained because 2015 was one of the biggest year in the 3DS/WII U era.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If this is possible, could we have the same thing but even earlier, like as far as from 2010 ? If think it would be interesting because there is a problem here : although this is financial data, the > 66M yen cap for the raw materials they reached this year is far above every other year's, more than 20 times higher than one year prior to the switch's release. So either there must be some massive changes in the way they buy/stock these materials (I'm not an industry neither a financial expert so I really don't know) or there's a proper next gen console going into mass production for a release in 2024/2025 and that 2 or 3 years gap between first party industry investment and the product release would explain the raw materials not being high at all in 2015 and 2016. Also I noticed in 2015 the WIP was at its second highest value ever since, again 2 years before the release of the Switch, although in this case it may explained because 2015 was one of the biggest year in the 3DS/WII U era.
Considering that the Nvidia leak indicates that the SoC has long since been done (not to mention the dev kits Bloomberg/Nate/Imran/etc. talked about that are out there), 2025 is too far off. Hell, even 2024 might be pushing it if we use 2019 as our most recent reference point (& I was originally expecting Early 2024).

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The spending and rumored lack of first party June Direct seem to indicate we are getting close to a reveal in the next few months

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
While i do belive it will be at least anounced this year, the extremly high raw materials number indicates to me mainly that they think inflation will get worse, and that the resource prices will rise, so that storing them is cheaper then on demand ordering with higher prices.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While i do belive it will be at least anounced this year, the extremly high raw materials number indicates to me mainly that they think inflation will get worse, and that the resource prices will rise, so that storing them is cheaper then on demand ordering with higher prices.
Exactly what I was thinking. While this is an indication that the Switch 2 will probably launch next year, the sheer amount of raw materials Nintendo is buying up is likely a preventive measure against inflation &/or stock issues.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockpiling to combat inflation is something that's a part of the costs, but at the same time, I think the monetary amount doesn't reflect just the Switch. Nintendo is also expecting declines for the system now

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Stockpiling to combat inflation is something that's a part of the costs, but at the same time, I think the monetary amount doesn't reflect just the Switch. Nintendo is also expecting declines for the system now
"Cash is trash" in rising inflation scenarios and there's a components shortage to get ahead of - but those amounts are deeply sus. And I want to believe!

A switch light OLED or improved battery live model would melt my freakin' mind. I could so see Nintendo doing it, that's the scary thing. The prospect of two or even three or more years locked at this hardware level for Nintendo games would be utterly depressing.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Are we waking up this thread again with the recent news regarding the Chinese forum post?

Pixelated did comment on it earlier today..

View: https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/1544773216635322371?s=21&t=mCO5iOq88X1RVXRFAQWGow

Personally I'm curious to see on what they could deliver in terms of memory and features like DLSS. I doubt they would go for a 1080p display on it..(until Switch 2 that is).vI really just wanna play Xenoblade 2 well on portable mode and games to look good with DLSS on the TV

I'm trying to figure it if they would actually deliver this on early 2023….

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Are we waking up this thread again with the recent news regarding the Chinese forum post?

Pixelated did comment on it earlier today..

View: https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/1544773216635322371?s=21&t=mCO5iOq88X1RVXRFAQWGow

Personally I'm curious to see on what they could deliver in terms of memory and features like DLSS. I doubt they would go for a 1080p display on it..(until Switch 2 that is).vI really just wanna play Xenoblade 2 well on portable mode and games to look good with DLSS on the TV

I'm trying to figure it if they would actually deliver this on early 2023….

Who's pixalpar?

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
So the Nvidia/TSMC news got me thinking. It might be too late but is it possible that Nvidia, in a way to not have a ton of TSMC 4N wafers laying around, might subsidize a possible Switch 2 with TSMC 4N?