How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
If we're speculating about a pro then I don't expect rt cores at all. For a pro, I would expect a 6 SM config with maybe 6 A78's. ( Very high expectations ik)
But just saying, what could RT cores do for such a device
Agreed. Have we even seen RT-cores used in a mobile/handheld device that needs at least 3+ hours of battery life? Probably not.

That's still 3-5 years out from now on a Switch 2. Plus Nintendo rarely chases after the newest fanciest graphical abilities.

Dec 21, 2020
If we're speculating about a pro then I don't expect rt cores at all. For a pro, I would expect a 6 SM config with maybe 6 A78's. ( Very high expectations ik)
But just saying, what could RT cores do for such a device
Those are midrange expectations lol

RT cores... I am not sure but it is implied that they can do non-RT related tasks such as AI.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I take it no new Nintendo news/rumors today? A lot of people complaining about "lack of GameCube ports" all of a sudden.

Speaking of Jensen Huang, how likely is it that he could make an appearance in the next Direct? There's always a question about what he would even be saying if Nintendo doesn't want to even talk about specs. Perhaps give a synopsis about how DLSS works?

My question too regarding software output: Barring Famicom Detective Club and MHRise, what else is scheduled for H1 this year? I cannot help but think most of their output was pushed to 2022 due to both COVID and also as a plan to buff the lineup launch for the revision with "successor enhanced" software, kinda like those GBC games that had unlockable stuff when played on a GBA.
They will not put Nvidia in the spotlight, just as MS and Sony rarely talk about AMD.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Samsung Warns of Severe Chip Crunch While Delaying Marquee Phone - Bloomberg

Note that Sohee Kim was a co-author of the Switch OLED article from earlier this month.

This article paints a rather grim picture and Samsung may even delay their next Note device to early next year.
Samsung's chip crunch might affect the Switch revision too, not just the Galaxy Note. Their Austin fab has been shut down since the Texas freeze. One of the fab's products is Samsung's OLED DDIC (display driver IC):

"TrendForce expects the Line S2 fab to prioritize resuming the production of RF products ahead of other products [...] the Samsung LSI OLED DDIC is primarily used in Apple's iPhone 12 series. The winter storm's impact on these DDICs will similarly take place by the end of 2Q21."

So according to the research firm TrendForce, even after resuming production, Samsung's Austin fab will be producing 5G RFICs ahead of the OLED DDICs, and the impact may last till the end of 2Q21 (presumably FY). Hmm, didn't Mochizuki report that the production of Switch OLED panels will start "as early as June"? The latest report from DigiTimes further claims that the price of rigid OLED panels (the type Switch will use) is rising due to the shortage of DDICs. it seems that Nintendo could be in a bit of a pickle.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
But if all these hardware and OLED rumors are true wouldn't Nintendo have already locked in prices with their suppliers and partners?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung's chip crunch might affect the Switch revision too, not just the Galaxy Note. Their Austin fab has been shut down since the Texas freeze. One of the fab's products is Samsung's OLED DDIC (display driver IC):

"TrendForce expects the Line S2 fab to prioritize resuming the production of RF products ahead of other products [...] the Samsung LSI OLED DDIC is primarily used in Apple's iPhone 12 series. The winter storm's impact on these DDICs will similarly take place by the end of 2Q21."

So according to the research firm TrendForce, even after resuming production, Samsung's Austin fab will be producing 5G RFICs ahead of the OLED DDICs, and the impact may last till the end of 2Q21 (presumably FY). Hmm, didn't Mochizuki report that the production of Switch OLED panels will start "as early as June"? The latest report from DigiTimes further claims that the price of rigid OLED panels (the type Switch will use) is rising due to the shortage of DDICs. it seems that Nintendo could be in a bit of a pickle.
It's sounding more and more likely that any talk of a successor, whether it be a refresh or a revision, would happen next year at the earliest. There are just too many supply constraints and it's unlikely they could release anything and still be able to keep it in line the quarter estimates they made in the Bloomberg article.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
So I took a screenshot of the English version of DigiTimes article before they put it behind a paywall:

6UHnIu9.png

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg had another (locked) article this time:
- reiterating a launch in 2021 (Holiday season)
- expecting hardware sales to be flat/slightly up vs the current FY
- PS4 Pro sold 2m in its launch window which represented a ~5% upgrade rate of its pre-release userbase. Expectation are higher for the upgrade rate of the Switch Pro (they call it Switch Pro in the article)
- Switch sales can reach 12m during its launch quarter (Oct-Dec then)
- Looking at their hardware forecast, expectations seem to be that the device will be priced higher. (ASP jumping by 15-20%)

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Bloomberg sure loves to give life to Team BotW 2021. ^^

Should this be made into a new thread? Or kept in here / the other Bloomberg thread due to it being behind a paywall?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
- PS4 Pro sold 2m in its launch window, expectation are higher for the Switch Pro (they call it Switch Pro in the article)
- Looking at their hardware forecast, expectations seem to be that the device will be priced higher. (ASP jumping by 15-20%)
- Zelda alongside a strong slate of games around launch
- Performance in line with the PS4/XB1 and the PS4P/XB1X. Switch Pro may eye performance of the PS4 Pro and XB1X.
This sounds worthy of a seperate thread to me; but what article are you talking about?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Bloomberg is implying Pro won't replace the Switch anytime soon, at least until Nintendo can lower the price to 300$.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg is implying Pro won't replace the Switch anytime soon, at least until Nintendo can lower the price to 300$.

This makes alot of sense not just because of the price but the demand that they wouldnt be able to satisfy anytime soon if this was the only Hybrid Switch.

149-199 Lite
249-299 OG Switch
349-399 Switch+

Has to be their initial/midterm goal.

With the OG Switch being replaced once they can get the Switch to 300 and can upgrade the Switch Lite with the Switch + SoC. To result in..

199 Lite +
299 Switch +
It is not a public article so no need to put too much spotlight on it ^^
Haha...okay, sounds about right.

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
- PS4 Pro sold 2m in its launch window, expectation are higher for the Switch Pro (they call it Switch Pro in the article)
- Performance in line with the PS4/XB1 and the PS4P/XB1X. Switch Pro may eye performance of the PS4 Pro and XB1X.
Is it locked behind the terminal? I tried to search on the website but found nothing. Anyhow it's a matter of time until it is public so we only neee to wait lol.
However confirming BotW 2 to be tied with hardware launch makes me feel a tad bit uneasy since a development issue of one can delay the release of the other...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
However confirming BotW 2 to be tied with hardware launch makes me feel a tad bit uneasy since a development issue of one can delay the release of the other...
They saying a strong slate of launch games already shows that BotW 2 wont make or break the launch and they are gonna be able to launch even if they delay BotW 2.

Just look how many games they had line up for the Switch Lite launch. The Switch + will likely have as many plus a bunch of classics/evergreens getting Performance patches during the launch period.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Mochi was tired seeing us trying to interpret his cryptic hintings and went "ho, fuck it" lol

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Is it locked behind the terminal? I tried to search on the website but found nothing. Anyhow it's a matter of time until it is public so we only neee to wait lol.
Assuming it's locked on the terminal then? Wonder when it'll go public...
Yes locked on the terminal for now

Aug 25, 2019
Yeah, this seems like the best way Nintendo could do it. Making a revision with an OLED screen and basic upscaling for the dock would only make sense if it takes the place of the current Switch. Otherwise, why release it and then a few months later a Switch pro?

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020
I wonder how people will spin this into Aula. Liquid Metal?

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia

Well, lots of specific information in there then... Thanks for reporting it.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

Could you provide a link to the article?

EDIT: Nevermind, saw that you linked it earlier.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Another point I forgot to mention is that, among the number of releases around the Pro launch, will be some 4K remasters.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I guess (and hope) that these 4K remasters will be all third parties, maybe games that are not available in Switch yet? Because otherwise is going to look bad
I mean, if MPT releases it would be a 4K remaster. It would still run on the current Switch but not in 4K obviously.

4K remasters of existing Switch games? First party included? I'd hope we just get free upgrades...
See above. I am expecting legacy titles remastered in 4K (like MPT or TWW) not current Switch titles.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the list of people hoping these are new (as in, not yet on Switch) releases and/or releases from 3rd parties. Because Nintendo selling a "4k remaster" BotW 1, which should be a free patch, or at worst a "DLC" patch that cost a few bucks, isn't going to fly.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

I'm a bit confused by this, is this referring to performance between the handheld and the docked?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused by this, is this referring to performance between the handheld and the docked?

Dunno how likely it is to have hardware that natively reaches the latter two's performance ranges in a portable device case. There's questions about cooling (even when throttled) and battery consumption.

Maybe it's base PS4/X1S performance native, with around Pro / X performance after considering performance advantages after utilizing DLSS?

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Dunno how likely it is to have hardware that natively reaches the latter two's performance ranges in a portable device case. There's questions about cooling (even when throttled) and battery consumption.

Maybe it's base PS4/X1S performance native, with around Pro / X performance after considering performance advantages after utilizing DLSS?

That could make sense.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I know, I'm just scared that such level of power won't be used totally by Nintendo due the fact that games have to run also on OG Switch.
Worst case scenario would be higher fps/resolution - regardless of how you approach it there will always be use for more horse power.
They would actively have to not try to make games perform better on the Pro.

All current games getting patches/remasters for PS5/Series X where developed with base PS4/Xbox One in mind.

prid13

Mar 31, 2019

After all the confusion for the past tens of pages and talks about delays into 2022 being likely, this makes me so relieved and I'm hyped again 8D. Thanks for posting! 💯

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Yesterday, Emily Rogers was reflecting on the problems of Nintendo understanding the reasons of success of their good performing consoles, and how

SNES sold less than NES
GameCube sold less than N64
WiiU sold less than Wii
3DS sold less than DS

Then specifically, she said that going forward, I'm not sure what Nintendo will learn or take-away from Switch's success.

While you can agree or not with her reasoning (in some part, I do), I was a bit worried if that statement could come after her hearing some rumblings regarding this revision. One way for the two devices coming theory is that one is a basic XL kinda revision, and then a new accessory, or gimmick based device, maybe VR device (new chip) would be coming.

But this new Bloomberg article info make that thought go away then. Looking forward to it to become public!

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's promising. Zelda being the focus title is what we were expecting. Affirms my hopes it'll be a holiday title. Hopefully since they're now explicitly referring to a "pro" this'll put the Aula talk to bed.

Last edited: