• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Had posted this in the OT a while back, but still a fantastic and illuminating read

This is cool
On a fundamental level, if the structure of the house isn't correct, the story doesn't work," he says. It was a technical puzzle: The first floor and private front yard were built on an empty outdoor lot in Jeonju, with a green screen placed on top where the second floor would eventually be digitally inserted. The other rooms of the house were built on separate soundstages. "There are nearly 480 visual-effects shots, but we can never feel it in the movie," he says. "They're invisible."
But not until Bong's second feature, Memories of Murder, did his visual style begin to gel. In another life, he would have been a comic-book artist. Bong meticulously storyboards everything he shoots, and his movies look like individual frames come to life. He sketched out every scene for Parasite and Memories of Murder himself — complete with dialogue — and for films with bigger visual effects, like Okja and Snowpiercer, he worked with an artist. "He gave us storyboards that were fully bound books," says Yeun of his experience acting in Okja. "They look like mangas, where you're just like, Oh, this is the movie."

Yeun describes the director as a "human animator." He recalls how, on set, Bong would show him a shot with stand-ins so he could picture the composition before stepping into the frame himself. "Some people get jarred by that because they don't like being told where to stand. But when you see the frame, you're like, I know what we're achieving here," Yeun says. "You feel like a color."

story-board-1.nocrop.w2147483647.h447.2x.jpg

story-board-2.nocrop.w2147483647.h447.2x.jpg

story-board-3.nocrop.w2147483647.h447.2x.jpg

Last edited:

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol

Official release date in the UK is 7th of February.

Watched it last week on a special screening, and will probably go again next week. Such a great movie that deserves multiple watches.

Oct 28, 2017
I read the wiki and thought it was dull as dishwater. Then everyone starts going on about it and it won some awards so clearly there's more to it. I'll give it a redbox.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the advice of so many, I went into this movie blind, and I am so glad I did. What a ride.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I just watched this a few hours ago. I'm still trying to process it, and I know I won't add anything new to the conversation or say anything that hasn't already been said. But that was a damn good movie.

Also, this was my face for that ending sequence after the climax.