• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ProTip from someone who just plugged into a 3080 into an LG CX with the updated CX firmware that supports True HDMI 2.1.

Setting to true 4k 120hz without chroma subsampling "pillarboxed" my picture for some reason, squishing text and making circles appear like vertically stretched ovals. I fixed this by making sure my resolution settings were as follows:
cyWKgV5.png

The display has to do the scaling for the picture to be happy, not the GPU which was the previous default on my end.

Also, this display really likes for ClearType to be off for all color spaces. Turn off that ClearType to have a happier time reading crispier text with the C9 and CX's pixel arrangement.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like someone has updated to beta firmware on the LG B9 and it has resolved the G-Sync 4K120 issues on 3080:
www.youtube.com

LG B9 GSYNC w Nvidia 3080

How to: I tried to reboot both TV and PC as well with the test firmware I downloaded. I can confirm that G-SYNC with 3080 is now working on LG B9 with the 04...

Awesome finally, great news for B9 owners. I guess all 2019-2020 models are covered in these new updates, once they come out officially of course

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news! Hopefully it comes out soon here in the US.
WOAH WAIT WHAT? Im too excited to research. Official firmware for b9 is out now too?!
Awesome finally, great news for B9 owners. I guess all 2019-2020 models are covered in these new updates, once they come out officially of course

Still in testing. To install it involves having a device that can emit custom IR commands to put the TV into a sort of factory engineering mode to retrieve "beta" updates.

I would advice against this though as you never know how hard it may be to go from a beta firmware to a production firmware.

Patience is a virtue. Glad it is working though! I had nightmares of LG not caring about us lowly B9ers with these updates. It's already half impossible to find support around the web on it, let alone the few of us who also happen to have been lucky enough to receive a 3000 series card right now. Cables are a whole other matter altogether. That's gonna be a fun one. So far I have not had the best luck with this, but am hoping things get ironed out once the new consoles come about.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Still in testing. To install it involves having a device that can emit custom IR commands to put the TV into a sort of factory engineering mode to retrieve "beta" updates.

I would advice against this though as you never know how hard it may be to go from a beta firmware to a production firmware.

Patience is a virtue. Glad it is working though! I had nightmares of LG not caring about us lowly B9ers with these updates. It's already half impossible to find support around the web on it, let alone the few of us who also happen to have been lucky enough to receive a 3000 series card right now. Cables are a whole other matter altogether. That's gonna be a fun one. So far I have not had the best luck with this, but am hoping things get ironed out once the new consoles come about.

Yeah I was feeling the same way back then, when the first official G-Sync update arrived later than what LG said at first, really though for a while that LG just forgot about us B9ers. Having a RTX 30 series at hand and not being able to try it must be pretty hard though, personally I think I better wait if Big Navy has a big surprise in store for us, still good to know we can fall back on nvidia if that's not the case.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I think i made progress

I reset the c9, and deleted the display registry drivers (not nvidia), flicked deep color off/on and flicked instant game response off/on

This gives me 4k120 AND gsync options and full PC resolutions.

I use the gsync pendulum demo and it goes to a blank screen.

This is the bug everyone else is having right?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think i made progress

I reset the c9, and deleted the display registry drivers (not nvidia), flicked deep color off/on and flicked instant game response off/on

This gives me 4k120 AND gsync options and full PC resolutions.

I use the gsync pendulum demo and it goes to a blank screen.

This is the bug everyone else is having right?
Yup it's basically just gsync that's broken. If I start a game up with it enable the screen flickers black.

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ok I'll let you be the Guinea pig :)
Link to guide on how to use the emitter?
Looking forward to seeing how this goes. I'll be buying tomorrow if this works too as I really cba to wait for LG to slowly roll this fw out.

Ok so the dongle works as a normal remote but the app didn't have a way to access the service menu :|
So went to Curry's and bought a universal remote:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...-4-universal-remote-control-07737494-pdt.html

Followed these instructions to get to the service menu:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/service-menu-cheap-and-easy-solution.2111580/

Changed to the Engineer user in System 2 menu.

But still not finding the latest firmware :|

Unless I've missed a step?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
i would be super cautious about installing engineering firmware.
mid it is versioned higher than public releases- then you may never be able to get another update.

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
i would be super cautious about installing engineering firmware.
mid it is versioned higher than public releases- then you may never be able to get another update.

Err too late, unplugging the TV and re plugging it brought up the firmware 05.10.02 which it's currently installing

But I did switch it back to user afterwards in the service menu

Update:

So G-Sync wasn't working after firmware update.
Tried rebooting TV and PC multiple times.
Tried Hotfix driver for GPU
Tried multiple reboots after Hotfix driver

Still wasn't work after all these steps
Then tried resetting TV to factory settings

G-Sync at 4K 120Hz finally working :)

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That is very scary. As I have a C9 and installed the fix that was provided to us, that is labelled 4.90.33

Last edited:

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
That is very scary. As I have a C9 and installed the fix that was provided to us, that is labelled 4.90.33
Looking at https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2019-lg-c9–e9-dedicated-gaming-thread-consoles-and-pc.3123168/page-116
Seems the 04.90.33 firmware was removed from the engineer upgrade a day or two ago

So far tried DOOM Eternal, Forza Horizon 4 and Control and so glad having G-Sync and high frame rate back after updating my PG348Q monitor to a C9 and only having a 1080 GTX since July I have definitely missed it.

Last edited:

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Err too late, unplugging the TV and re plugging it brought up the firmware 05.10.02 which it's currently installing

But I did switch it back to user afterwards in the service menu

Update:

So G-Sync wasn't working after firmware update.
Tried rebooting TV and PC multiple times.
Tried Hotfix driver for GPU
Tried multiple reboots after Hotfix driver

Still wasn't work after all these steps
Then tried resetting TV to factory settings

G-Sync at 4K 120Hz finally working :)

Glad to hear you got it working! Tempted to go to currys now and pick one up and test it for my cx model.

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
I found it was easier to pull the HDMI cable out and plug it back in rather than restarting the PC.
Not viable for how my PC and TV are currently placed, but might try Win+P to cycle through connected displays instead or create a macro to change resolutions might work too, will give those a try when I get back this evening.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
I use monitor profile switcher - https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/

Have a hotkey which throws things back to my monitor for the inevitable drops that happen when switching things up.

This looks like exactly what I've been looking for, for work! I've got a 144hz G-Sync laptop hooked up to an 60hz external monitor and my C9, and I'd gotten so tired of not being able to get games to play properly that I'd just stopped playing on PC. Thanks for this!

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Wish I could find a 10m+ HDMI fibre cable that actually works with 4k/120 (without Gsync). Tried a few now even including the "AKKKGO" someone mentioned earlier in the thread but I think they were just passing 8 bit via HDMI 2.0. Didn't show anything at 4k/120 for me. Again, a Belkin 2m cable works perfectly.

Looking through this AVSF thread it seems the longest anyone has been able to successfully get working with a 3080/C9/CX is the Zeskit 5m AOC, working at full 4k/120/12bit. But I need at least 10m! Hopefully it won't be too long until we get some long length cables that actually meet their claims of 48gbps - looks like the Ruipro "48gbps" fibre cable only actually delivers 24gbps when tested for example 🤦🏼‍♂️

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it won't be too long until we get some long length cables that actually meet their claims of 48gbps - looks like the Ruipro "48gbps" fibre cable only actually delivers 24gbps when tested for example 🤦🏼‍♂️
Well that's very disappointing to hear.
It explains why, despite being one of the brands with actual test data for their 4K cables, there was nothing published for the new "8K" cable.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Shame its not out yet in the EU for CX owners.
But my 3080 has not arrived yet anyway so hopefully that will happen around the same time sometime next week! :D

Will give an update when it does.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like someone has updated to beta firmware on the LG B9 and it has resolved the G-Sync 4K120 issues on 3080:
www.youtube.com

LG B9 GSYNC w Nvidia 3080

How to: I tried to reboot both TV and PC as well with the test firmware I downloaded. I can confirm that G-SYNC with 3080 is now working on LG B9 with the 04...
TBF it doesn't actually say anything about the F/W on the vid?

There is a thread on AVForums with someone running benchmarks on a B9 that does have some glitches, however, in Metro LL benchmark.

arnehelst

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a Belkin Ultra HD HIGH SPEED HDMI 2M cable today while waiting for a 3m one to arrive and it sort of works.

4K, 100hz and 10 or 12 bit color worked
4k, 120hz 12 bit color did not work.
4K 120hz 8 bit color did also not work.

So waiting for another 2m Belkin 8K Ultra High speed and a Hama 8K HDMI-HDMI Ethernet-kabel (3m)

EDIT: The Belkin Ultra HD HIGH SPEED HDMI 2M now seem to work in 4k 120 hz 12 bit color. No blinking so far but weird that it did not work at first.

Last edited:

Green

Oct 27, 2017
TBF it doesn't actually say anything about the F/W on the vid?

There is a thread on AVForums with someone running benchmarks on a B9 that does have some glitches, however, in Metro LL benchmark.
This was linked from a user on AVForums. It's a pre release firmware just like what we're seeing with the C9s.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could find a 10m+ HDMI fibre cable that actually works with 4k/120 (without Gsync). Tried a few now even including the "AKKKGO" someone mentioned earlier in the thread but I think they were just passing 8 bit via HDMI 2.0. Didn't show anything at 4k/120 for me. Again, a Belkin 2m cable works perfectly.

Looking through this AVSF thread it seems the longest anyone has been able to successfully get working with a 3080/C9/CX is the Zeskit 5m AOC, working at full 4k/120/12bit. But I need at least 10m! Hopefully it won't be too long until we get some long length cables that actually meet their claims of 48gbps - looks like the Ruipro "48gbps" fibre cable only actually delivers 24gbps when tested for example 🤦🏼‍♂️
Ugh. I hope one day we find a real 2.1 cable that is actually of proper length.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm picking up a Belkin ultra 48gbps cable (6.6ft) today for my 2080 super in prep for a 3080. Looks solid and isn't too long and perfect for my needs.

arnehelst

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen a lot of this online with people testing cables. What did you do between it not working and it working, that made the difference? Just a system reboot? TV on and off?

No reboot and no tv on/off.
I went in the Windows settings and changed the Refresh to 120 instead of in the Nvidia control panel. But after I changed it the first time in Windows, changing bit depth and refresh now also works in the Nvidia control panel. So not sure if it was that.

Also played Halo ODST in 4K 120 for about an hour without issues.

Got the 3m Hama 8k cable today, so going to try it tonight.

Callahan

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
If you use it in 4:2:2 @ 60hz gsync does not work as well ?
gsync is not working at all with C9 with the RTX 30 is that it ?

arnehelst

Oct 28, 2017
If you use it in 4:2:2 @ 60hz gsync does not work as well ?
gsync is not working at all with C9 with the RTX 30 is that it ?

I don't even have the option to change it to 4:2:0(don't have an option for 4:2:2 at all) since the 120hz option only shows up in the PC section in the NVIDIA control panel. In the Ultra HD, HD, SD section, 60hz is the only option. And if I set it to 60hz and 4:20:0 in the Ultra HD, HD, SD section and then change it to 120hz in the windows settings, it changes to RGB.

Have a c9 btw.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
ProTip from someone who just plugged into a 3080 into an LG CX with the updated CX firmware that supports True HDMI 2.1.

Setting to true 4k 120hz without chroma subsampling "pillarboxed" my picture for some reason, squishing text and making circles appear like vertically stretched ovals. I fixed this by making sure my resolution settings were as follows:
cyWKgV5.png

The display has to do the scaling for the picture to be happy, not the GPU which was the previous default on my end.

Also, this display really likes for ClearType to be off for all color spaces. Turn off that ClearType to have a happier time reading crispier text with the C9 and CX's pixel arrangement.
Huh, Aspect ratio, perform scaling on GPU, override scaling mode set By games, and running at 3840x2160 In "Change Resolution" didnt work? Thats surprising.

My only concern is using display scaling has broken resolution options in a few games I've played so I'd be wary of this solution long term.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure that the B9 will get an update also, seems the B9 is treated like the unwanted stepchild :-(

Yes B9 is getting it. Probably not in the first round though. There is at least one person who's installed a "beta" firmware on the B9 and demonstrated it has fixed the 4k120 Gsync issue so LG have already sorted it out. It's a different processor, similar panel to the C9, so it shouldn't take too much extra time.

My worry is about it hitting Canada in reasonable time. In my experience, "NA" releases hit USA way before Canada.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure that the B9 will get an update also, seems the B9 is treated like the unwanted stepchild :-(

I know that feel :( but yes, there's a beta firmware for the B9 that seems to work fine at 4K120Hz with HDR and G-Sync, someone from the AVS Forums even tried it and even showed some video proof, I guess we B9ers are just going to have to wait until it's officially available.

Link

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else find when they choose the "PC" resolution option in the Nvidia control panel, its slightly overscanned on the tv screen? If you turn of the pixel shift OLED thing it fixes it but id rather leave that on as it seems to turn it off globally, not just for the one input.