• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how Valve and MS have supposedly been in deep conversation as of late, I'm going to say this is Xbox related

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Steam on Xbox. I could play PC exclusive games on my Xbox? Hook up a mouse/keyboard to my Series X and go to town? I'd be happy since I don't have a gaming PC.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess, Half:Life Alyx for PSVR and Left 3 Dead on consoles.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Because you're playing it on the cloud...

What would you even need an Xbox for? Vast majority of TVs are web enabled these days.
Why are Youtube, Netflix, HBO, DIsney+, Prime Video, etc apps on consoles if vast majority of TVs already have apps for that?

Consoles already come with a controller and work out of the box, there is no point in skipping them for cloud gaming apps.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea what they're working on, but some kind of cheap device that lets you play Steam games via the cloud might be feasible.
Yah they might've pivoted. The "new" Steam machines were pretty far along, though. The plan was to sell them alongside the Index and Alyx, and make the cost palatable with installment plans similar to phones, available via Steam. Shame it never got out the door.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Maybe SteamLink 2.0 for Xbox? Alyx on PS5 also seems to be a no-brainer. It's too bad XSX doesn't support 20gbs transfer rates, otherwise Index could have come to Xbox.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
No idea what they're working on, but some kind of cheap device that lets you play Steam games via the cloud might be feasible.

Imo, cloud gaming isn't quite ready yet with the level of streaming latency involved. I think they could make a somewhat subsidised machine if they wanted to though. Is there anything stopping them from getting deals on chips like Sony and Microsoft?

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
Yah they might've pivoted. The "new" Steam machines were pretty far along, though. The plan was to sell them alongside the Index and Alyx, and make the cost palatable with installment plans similar to phones, available via Steam. Shame it never got out the door.
Different from this? 👀

AFAIK this Steam Machine case design has never been officially announced (from HL:A Final Hours Valve tour)

WUsXgOf.png

Oct 27, 2017

We'll see what Gabe was referring to by the end of the year, I guess.

Imo, cloud gaming isn't quite ready yet with the level of streaming latency involved. I think they could make a somewhat subsidised machine if they wanted to though. Is there anything stopping them from getting deals on chips like Sony and Microsoft?

I don't think there's anything stopping them, but Sony and MS might be getting better deals if their sales projections mean they order more chips than Valve would.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were working on a real PC "console", akin to a properly done Steam Machine. too bad it never saw the light of day :/
Oh shit

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Different from this? 👀

AFAIK this Steam Machine case design has never been officially announced (from HL:A Final Hours Valve tour)

WUsXgOf.png
That looks vaguely similar to mocks I might've seen. It's also why Valve spun up an entire new hardware lab/production line in Factoria, WA. Maybe they're still coming, just taking longer than expected :)

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
That looks vaguely similar to mocks I might've seen. It's also why Valve spun up an entire new hardware lab/production line in Factoria, WA. Maybe they're still coming, just taking longer than expected :)

Could easily be supplier issues, esespecially if Valve was planning on getting AMD APUs similar to what the Playstation and Xbox have.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Could easily be supplier issues, esespecially if Valve was planning on getting AMD APUs similar to what the Playstation and Xbox have.

I could see them going for machines that are weaker than current consoles to fit a smaller form factor and a good price point. I wonder what they would do about the controller though. I don't think trackpads on a Steam controller V2 would do the job.

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually hinted at it multiple times here in the past. Whether this is still the plan or what Gabe is referring to.. we'll see
I remember your comments about hardware when HLA was announced but I definitely missed any further hints, if there were.

Really weird if they abandoned the idea, though I wonder if some of the COVID supply issues screwed it up?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I've actually hinted at it multiple times here in the past. Whether this is still the plan or what Gabe is referring to.. we'll see

In Edge magazine for HLA's launch, they had an interview with Valve including on hardware. They mentioned they still had more hardware in the works beyond VR, to extend where Steam games could be played, but wouldn't elaborate for that interview. So seems they are very much still active on that front