OP
OP
GooZ

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DQ Tact shutting down just as I was getting back into it… :/ *sigh*

Gacha games are really a waste. All the time and energy just gone.
True but it also points to the developers/publisher where the games is from. Square Enix has a history of closing their gacha games without hesitation. Bandai Namco as well if their anime game isn't a popular success within a year. Cygames publishers with all their 3 gacha games already closed worldwide. List goes on

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I could use some advice for Nikke:

I'm at the 160 wall, only 1 MLB, 2 at LB2. I have 36k gems, 20 advanced vouchers, 355 golden tickets. For the upcoming event my plan is to pull on Scarlet until I have 400 gold tickets, buy both her and Modernia outright, then pump all remaining gems into that new Step Up Recruit. I'm unsure though, is it better to use standard recruit because of the wishlist? Or maybe just live with being at the wall and put the gems into the banners to collect/save gold tickets?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Whooo, unlocked Sin. Only Quency left now. Wasn't sure I should wait for Nihilister instead, but given I'm only at chapter 19-1 and have already hit a combat power wall, that won't be happening anytime soon. Might as well go for Quency.

I could use some advice for Nikke:

I'm at the 160 wall, only 1 MLB, 2 at LB2. I have 36k gems, 20 advanced vouchers, 355 golden tickets. For the upcoming event my plan is to pull on Scarlet until I have 400 gold tickets, buy both her and Modernia outright, then pump all remaining gems into that new Step Up Recruit. I'm unsure though, is it better to use standard recruit because of the wishlist? Or maybe just live with being at the wall and put the gems into the banners to collect/save gold tickets?
It depends on how much you dislike being stuck at the 160 wall. Regular recruit is definitely the place to be if you want to scale it because you can target meta Nikkes like the bunnies, the school duo, Liter, etc.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
www.resetera.com

What do you think about the success of the gacha game Nikke (NSFW/NSFL)?

If someone does not know, Nikke was released around 1 year ago and quickly became one of the most profitable gacha games: People are saying it has a lot to do with a depressing story, but the game might even be one of those "borderline Hentai" games. The gameplay is basically just you...

lol
Yeah I'm not touching that thread with a 100 foot pole. Nothing good will come of it.

I respect you for saying how it is, though. Horny as fuck game, no excuses, but the story and gameplay are genuinely compelling.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
GFL's newest major story event started today (Slow Shock). I'm so excited to get traumatized again! Still kinda crazy that I had to read/watch some story events that haven't been added permanently yet. Not sure how far I'll get with only one HOC kinda built, but so far so good. Neural Cloud's most recent story event proved they're finding their stride with that spin-off. But it's also way more sci-fi than mainline GFL--which has always leaned hard into war and spy thriller genres. Makes me wonder how long GFL2 will wait to stop pulling punches. I'm sure Mica is already planning their next chance to punch us all in the head.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I knew Einbroch would get banned the moment he called out OP.

Like I said, those threads aren't worth it. Never are. I'm don't need to justify the games I play to anyone, let alone people who've already made up their minds anyway.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
that thread is funny, and less attention paid is better so that it dies quick. i fully expect mlb scarlet post from ein after ban ends now....

anyway, i really need to stop being lazy and push for uquaji battles in anaden before this year ends due to extra rewards campaign.... but i ended up being suckered into krmmo vortex again so my free time's gone thanks to that.... sigh

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Are there any popular, or even mildly popular, gacha games with just "mid" music? I've played a lot of gachas since I fell into the rabbit hole and it feels like no matter what game I play, no matter how good or bad I find it, every damn gacha has at least good music - often great. It's kind of remarkable.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
Are there any popular, or even mildly popular, gacha games with just "mid" music? I've played a lot of gachas since I fell into the rabbit hole and it feels like no matter what game I play, no matter how good or bad I find it, every damn gacha has at least good music - often great. It's kind of remarkable.
Snowbreak. There's some decent tracks, but most of it is mid, IMO.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to the final boss of the Master of Fame story in Octopath COTC.

All three villians were pretty good. The Masters of Wealth and Fame in particularly were very fucked up. Tytos is kind of disappointing though becuase his whole thing is

he clearly has PTSD and trauma from the war/it never ended to him and they don't do really do much with that to try to humanize him (not that he isn't a huge piece of shit but you know what I mean) and portray that for all his powers, he's probably ruled by fear more than anything.

One of the things I think the story does very well is make you somehow still pity how twisted these people became despite how monstrous they were.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to the final boss of the Master of Fame story in Octopath COTC.

All three villians were pretty good. The Masters of Wealth and Fame in particularly were very fucked up. Tytos is kind of disappointing though becuase his whole thing is

he clearly has PTSD and trauma from the war/it never ended to him and they don't do really do much with that to try to humanize him (not that he isn't a huge piece of shit but you know what I mean) and portray that for all his powers, he's probably ruled by fear more than anything.

One of the things I think the story does very well is make you somehow still pity how twisted these people became despite how monstrous they were.
just wondering, are there any new main story being added after the 3 are done? since every time i saw cotc being talked about, it always refers to the 3 which i feel like it's either already completed straight away during launch, or a number of updates later.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
And Square Enix killed 2 more gachas (JP only): Fullmetal Alchemist Mobile (did not make it to its 2nd anniversary) and Engage Kill (did not even last a year). With Dragon Quest Tact (Global) that makes 3 EoS announcements within the span of 24 hours.

I guess it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point, but people should really not get invested in Square Enix gachas, it ain't worth it.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Reverse: 1999 folks.

Quick reroll question that mostly depends on how good Tooth Fairy is lol.

Account 1:
6* Tooth Fairy, Regulus,
5* Charlie

Account 2:
6* Regulus, Eternity
5* Bkornblume, Dikke, Tennant, Balloon Party

My vague understanding is Account 1 is a good start to some Crit synergy and both are quite good characters with TF being highly recommended.

Account two has quite a few good characters as well though so v0v

OP
OP
GooZ

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And Square Enix killed 2 more gachas (JP only): Fullmetal Alchemist Mobile (did not make it to its 2nd anniversary) and Engage Kill (did not even last a year). With Dragon Quest Tact (Global) that makes 3 EoS announcements within the span of 24 hours.

I guess it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point, but people should really not get invested in Square Enix gachas, it ain't worth it.
Yep and it's good to see the general gacha community notice the pattern too. Now SQEX has earned a reputation of EOS their mobile games and this isn't good for their new games too since now you know a lot of consumers are just not gonna bother with their games anymore.
EOS SQEX Game -> New Gacha Game -> Heavy monetization -> no one plays it anymore -> Repeat

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

I've accepted Octopath COTC could go at any minute, I'just glad I finally got my off ass and finally played it. The main story questlines are worth it.

just wondering, are there any new main story being added after the 3 are done? since every time i saw cotc being talked about, it always refers to the 3 which i feel like it's either already completed straight away during launch, or a number of updates later.
So far theres the three master storylines followed by its closing chapters and then theres the bestower of wealth, fame and power ones followed by its own closing chapter.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
Reverse: 1999 folks.

Quick reroll question that mostly depends on how good Tooth Fairy is lol.

Account 1:
6* Tooth Fairy, Regulus,
5* Charlie

Account 2:
6* Regulus, Eternity
5* Bkornblume, Dikke, Tennant, Balloon Party

My vague understanding is Account 1 is a good start to some Crit synergy and both are quite good characters with TF being highly recommended.

Account two has quite a few good characters as well though so v0v
Bkorn and Eternity are great/good, but you keep the account with Tooth Fairy if the "meta" is what you care about. Even if you don't, Tooth Fairy will be limited for the next 3 months while everyone else you can chance upon with spooks. Plus Charlie is very, very good if you're lucky enough to get her to portray 3 one day. And like you said, TF and Regulus have great synergy for your first party.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
still got 400 gold tickets. looks like I'll finally have Scarlett 😀
also I see that Nikke thread is going as well as everyone who didn't want an OT expected

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how much I'm going to push my luck with Leon with Bargello coming down the line in COTC.

Maybe just two ten pulls and pray for a miracle.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
I mean that's literally their names in KR/JP. Unlike some other characters they didn't have a name change. That poster is looking for something that isn't there.

This isn't a Esty Erhard -> Esty Dee (STD) situation.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Yep and it's good to see the general gacha community notice the pattern too. Now SQEX has earned a reputation of EOS their mobile games and this isn't good for their new games too since now you know a lot of consumers are just not gonna bother with their games anymore.
EOS SQEX Game -> New Gacha Game -> Heavy monetization -> no one plays it anymore -> Repeat
There's a reddit thread about the Fullmetal Alchemist EoS notice where the user linked to the EoS announcement blog post and it's wild.
They basically admit they only had a roadmap up until the first anniversary and couldn't figure out how to continue (apparently the game just stopped getting new content after the anniversary and it was just event reruns and the occassional new unit since then).
This reads like complete amateur hour tbh and certainly gives them even less credibility.
Like, Genshin launched with a 6-7 year story roadmap. Blue Archive devs went on record saying they always plan 2 years ahead and are aiming for a 15 year run.

Square Enix come across as treating their mobile offerings like a side hustle where they want big money for little effort. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which side of the game you are on) that doesn't fly anymore and it does not at all surprise me their financials have cited a downwards trend from their mobile division for years now.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
That whole Nikke thread devolved into a bad faith, low effort posts. Because of the perspective of the OP's post, most of it doesn't qualify as derailing, though, so the dog-piling skates moderation.

I think it's valid to discuss how literally in-your-face Nikke's objectification can be. It can lead into discussions about other South Korean games' styles being oddly similar--and not just Shift Up's other games. Without the context of how gacha games almost all rely on T&A as part of their incentive/monetization model, Nikke must look even more nonsensical to random folks popping into that thread. There's absolutely valuable debate to be had about this aspect of most gacha games. I think gacha game devs can, and likely do, want to do more diverse character designs. Some are trying.

Personally, I don't want Nikke's level of sexualization to become normal, even among gacha games. Because it absolutely does kill some moments where the story is trying to express something meaningful.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
They basically admit they only had a roadmap up until the first anniversary and couldn't figure out how to continue (apparently the game just stopped getting new content after the anniversary and it was just event reruns and the occassional new unit since then).
skill issue then.
starting with 1 year plan leaves you less time to plan further than originally. it should be at least 2 years to give ample period to cook up whatever bullshit you can throw once your original plan hits the dotted line. i get that not wanting to commit a long period of time for initial aim, since the market is fickle after all and your work can easily hit eos w/o even reaching that target... but geez 1 year is too short to come up with additional stuff.
with that said i do wonder if the reason why they went with 1 year plan is because of having to get approval by arakawa for whatever the scenario they added in hagaren's universe

OP
OP
GooZ

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Nikke thread reminds me of the Nier days, 2B having THOSE features and people bluntly degrading others for playing such game. In the end it's consider a masterpiece and people keep it to themselves.

There's a reddit thread about the Fullmetal Alchemist EoS notice where the user linked to the EoS announcement blog post and it's wild.
Shows how incompetent SQEX is when it comes to handling their resources in the mobile division. I hope they put more resources into what they're known for which is console games where they see success and gamers are more happy to see at least.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
Just finished the core/main story portion of Slow Shock in GFL. Fucking hell. I kinda feel sick. A years-long culmination of many different plot threads that have come together to finish the gut punch of feels that started in a few events back. This was one of the most grim, emotional stories I've ever read in a gacha game. And among most games in general. If GFL2 can get to this level of storytelling, but with all the production value and voice acting added in, we're all gonna be on the pain train.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
That whole Nikke thread devolved into a bad faith, low effort posts. Because of the perspective of the OP's post, most of it doesn't qualify as derailing, though, so the dog-piling skates moderation.

I mean I posted what I think about it. I find it more sad that, at least from what I can see, is that the sexualization is a big part what draws people in at first and I would argue its a big part why people pull for some characters.
I just played the first chapter when it came out and I found it utterly ridiculous how it tries to tell a serious story with dead, PTSD etc. then suddenly get back into the main menu with this blonde haired girl with big breasts talking sexual innuendos. Literally 20 seconds ago you saw a cutscene where someone died, toneshift to this.

I also hope other developers/publishers do not take influence from that. There is a market for those games and if people like that, thats perfectly fine (as seen by my Steam games). Personally for me for a "normal" gacha game it was far too much already in chapter 1 and from what I see when people post new screens in Discord, seems its mostly just harem bait.

Personally, I don't want Nikke's level of sexualization to become normal, even among gacha games. Because it absolutely does kill some moments where the story is trying to express something meaningful.

Thats my take on it.