• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the replacements, I do think Trigger should have been either replaced earlier or (if no replacements were available) modkilled. Include would also have to be modkilled, can't treat scum differently to town.

Natiko you mentioned something about Include being replaced because it wasn't her fault she had to leave, or something along those lines. It sounds like you would view a modkill as a punishment in that situation, which is wrong. Modkills are just a tool, unfortunate when they have to be used but necessary for the health of the game. For all we know Trigger's absence could have been just as unavoidable.

I don't know what the "rule" should be and I don't even know if it's something you can set hard in advance, but something about being that close to lylo should discourage replacements from happening.

I also disagree that replacements should be held to a higher standard than anyone else. Replacing is hard work, I don't think we gain much by making it harder.

As for the hostilities... I don't know if anyone should have been modkilled or subbed out, that's always gonna be the hardest decision to make. I have to agree with KetKat that the number of people subbing out (or considering it) due to the extended hostility is kind of self evident. Perhaps a firmer hand would have improved things, perhaps not. I agree with you when you say there's no solution that everyone would be happy with.

What I mean is that modkill (in that context) is just an alternative to a replacement. Both Trigger and Include needed replacing, and at that point of the game replacement should (imo, of course) been modkill instead.

The fact that Trigger disappeared while Include requested to leave shouldn't factor, is all I'm saying. Because a modkill (in this context) is not a punishment.

I agree that it is never an ideal solution, but I definitely prefer it before late game subs.

These late game subs are really as disruptive to a game as a modkill. When you are working hard on sussing out scum or winning town over and suddenly, shortly before the finishing line someone with new views and energy turns status quo upside down, it is really disheartening.

We had problems filling the spots. If not enough people are willing to play, that may be an indicator for disinterest which likelier leads to dropouts? What else can we do? Punish people who dropout without any reason? Ban them for x-games? Should we allow dropping out of one game and joining another as a substitute? How do we want to animate players? How can we emphasize the effort needed?

Here is where I noticed that I deem replacements to be on the same level as modkills regarding interventions from the outside (at least after a certain point in the game... halfway?)

Same here as above. A replacement can skew chances in the same way.

While I agree that Modkilling in the context of people replacing out when there are no replacements available should be 'neutral' in regards to the game it's very difficult not to be.

For Trigger action should have been taken sooner but Natiko was following what our rules are in that people get 1 warning for being under 10 and then the next time it happens they get kicked out. Trigger replacing into an already inactive Role just made that problem exponentially worse. Should Trigger have just been Modkilled at that point? Probably, but we have the benefit of hindsight now and we didn't then.

With Include she was active up until she had to drop out for personal reasons. While she was also a late-game change it had to be taken into account that she was 1 of 2 living Scum players towards the end game. It's being argued that Modkilling/Replacing is the same but when it comes to Scum that is inherently untrue. Modkilling Include's role at that point would have heavily skewed the game and I still feel replacing in that instance was the better option.

It's hard to say what specifically is skirting the line and what isn't without looking at actual examples and player histories. In this game in particular though, there was definitely a lot of genuine hostility that was warned for good reason. I don't really have issues with people getting warnings when they go too far at first. Tensions can run high in the games and it'll happen. The issue I have is when it just spreads over multiple days and keeps going despite warnings that it's bothering people and people are stepping out because of it. I get that no one wants to modkill and eject someone from a game, but warnings have to carry some kind of weight for when people just won't stop. If killing off the slot entirely is a problem, then maybe there could be an alternative like just forcing a replacement on the person. It would still suck that it came to that, and wouldn't have worked in this game with how many replacements were needed, but it might have less impact on the overall game and keep things on track some.

I know it wasn't really an option in this game because so many people were causing problems and needed replacing as it was. My concern was with how things will go in future games and whether its worth taking the risk of joining a game and it having the same level of hostility as this one. Which sounds dramatic, but I tend to avoid games that are toxic, and forum games aren't really any different. If you're actually willing to replace/modkill people who won't tone it down after multiple warnings, then that's really all I needed to know for reassurance. Your previous posts gave off the impression that you and Sawneeks are both are just against them in general and want to let players sort it out themselves which is honestly a little too idealistic based on how that game went.

I'm not really 'against' Modkills, I just find them hard to deliver in certain circumstances. But with the lessons learned here and how everything played out I'm planning to suggest that we play much stricter on punishments for being overly hostile during games.

We have had this issue before a few years back. I even remember having this same debate back then too and we all agreed to play it tougher on punishments. Thing is, with these instances being so rare I'm now seeing that we all rally for it now but with time we grow lax on them and then when it pops up again we're back to where we were before. I can only recall this type of situation happening twice (once in the past, once here) and I'm starting to see the connection.

Thinking I might add in a specific rule for hostility and punishment to make it more 'permanent' in that sense instead of all the talk now and no action later. Gonna mull it over though, I really do not want to see this happen again.

Can we talk about sending in replacements only a few hours before the deadline? Because turning up dead the next day after one hour in-game was the shittiest thing ever happened to me :/
I don't even know if there is another way to do this... And it's not directed against Nat or Bae. I was willing to join and fight at that time, but seeing this night result was harsh.
And waiting until the night phase to announce it, can likely bring the same result. Is it something the player just has to deal with?

Consideration of replacement announcements also affect the lynch decisions unfortunately.

Been thinking this over myself too. I don't really know if there is a 'good' solution to this to be honest, though I'm open to suggestions.

I know we typically try to announce replacements as soon as we can so Players know why a person is unresponsive in-game. However, we can really only do that if we know ahead of time a Player is going to be dropping out/leaving. When it comes to last minute replacements is when things get tough because they can be anything from Players on the chopping block to last-minute replacements (like yourself) playing a bit and then getting killed immediately.

I don't know if having a set time/place to announcement a Replacement would solve that, think it would create more problems.

Kawl

Oct 25, 2017
If you start weighing a persons role in the game with regards to modkilling/replacing get ready for a bunch of really annoying meta calls based on that. If you move to a firmer position of modkills that needs to be uniform across the board

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Did Trigger respond to his warning? Maybe I'm just wrong but I always thought that if the warning doesn't get a response then the replacement/modkill happens, rather than wait an extra phase.

If that's not the case maybe it should be?

If you start weighing a persons role in the game with regards to modkilling/replacing get ready for a bunch of really annoying meta calls based on that. If you move to a firmer position of modkills that needs to be uniform across the board
Also this.

There isn't really a "fair" option anyway. Scum are disadvantaged by a modkill and town are disadvantaged by a replacement. There's not much chance for a town to lynch an inactive slot that gets replaced with a talkative vaguely townie player late game. Ok in this game Include wasn't totally inactive, but that slot dropped way down the lynch order as soon as Nicole subbed in (don't mean to diminish her performance here, she did what was needed for the win).

OP
OP
Natiko

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Sawneeks What would a rule on that look like? How does one define hostility? Insults? Aggression? How much aggression is too aggressive? Not to dredge up specifics, but that was part of the difficulty with administering punishment in this game. It's very nebulous.

Did Trigger respond to his warning? Maybe I'm just wrong but I always thought that if the warning doesn't get a response then the replacement/modkill happens, rather than wait an extra phase.

If that's not the case maybe it should be?

Also this.

There isn't really a "fair" option anyway. Scum are disadvantaged by a modkill and town are disadvantaged by a replacement. There's not much chance for a town to lynch an inactive slot that gets replaced with a talkative vaguely townie player late game. Ok in this game Include wasn't totally inactive, but that slot dropped way down the lynch order as soon as Nicole subbed in (don't mean to diminish her performance here, she did what was needed for the win).
I do not know as it was Bae that pinged him, it occurred when I was on a work trip.

As for the second part though there's a big difference in how it functionally can be responded to. If you modkill scum that's that. It is absolute. They cannot do anything about it. If you replace a player then they can be lynched. There is still action that can be taken. I'm all for coming up with better rules around players subbing in to try and prevent the issues that arose with Trigger's slot, but I still think it's far too hand-holdy to institute a modkill all late game players dropping rule just because town is too scared to lynch them. That's a meta issue, not a rules issue.

I'm in favor of tightening the rules for a subbing in player to ensure it's less likely a slot can be MIA so long, and in situations like season open with multiple games perhaps we need to not try and force them to start concurrently. Our replacement list was in a rough spot very early on as the games ran. If the list is padded out more then you can be more aggressive in how you respond to situations without torpedoing the game itself.

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Fantomas , winner of the Game of Thrones Mafia prize! The gamerunners and I deliberated a while, but it was clear that Fantomas was the most deserving of the prize. He chose DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. Can't wait to play with him in future MafiaEra games!

Congratulations to Fantomas , winner of the Game of Thrones Mafia prize! The gamerunners and I deliberated a while, but it was clear that Fantomas was the most deserving of the prize. He chose DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. Can't wait to play with him in future MafiaEra games!
Woah, DQ XI!

Wait, we win prizes for playing well?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much again, I really appreciate it!

Also, not sure when, but I'm definitely planning to return the favor to the community and offer a similar prize to someone in a future game.

And I'm loving DQ XI so far, just for the record. :)