flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lordy, this season had a phenomenal soundtrack... hah, too bad the season itself couldn't live up to it.

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
I would argue that while you had the Meereen teasing moments on Dany going full dark, they didn't actually do enough still. Sure there are discussions and she does some shit to the the slavers but I really would have liked her to raze another city in Essos. Would have at least shown her using more brutal tactics to maybe potentially innocent people instead of her just being threatening but ultimately not doing that.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lordy, this season had a phenomenal soundtrack... hah, too bad the season itself couldn't live up to it.

The "Stay A Thousand Years" (vocal version of "Truth", the Jon/Dany love theme) track wasn't even used in the show ... it would've worked great in the throne room scene.

It's so much more emotional than the actual scene, lol. Ramin really brought it for the final season.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
So to stannis-stans here. Currently re-read a clash of kings, and the prologue alone paints stannis as the most bitter and unlikable person in the books. Didn't get the love for stannis on my first read years ago and still don't

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted?

Bran actor interview.

HBO: So, the biggest question on our minds: What was your reaction when you found out Bran would become king?

Isaac Hempstead Wright:
I had to physically get up and walk around my flat. I said, "What?! You're joking." It was the very last thing I expected to happen. I was convinced they had sent a script to everyone in which they become king or queen, so I still didn't believe it until the read-through.

But I think he is a great character to take on that role. You never thought of him in that way, but what more could you ask for in a king than to have no personal attachments, no agenda, but have a calm understanding of the entire universe? He's the ideal person to be in charge.

[Creators] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] told me there were two things [author] George R.R. Martin had planned for Bran, and that was the Hodor revelation, and that he would be king. So that's pretty special to be directly involved in something that is part of George's vision. It was a really nice way to wrap it up.

So yeah. Bran will likely be king in the books too.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would argue that while you had the Meereen teasing moments on Dany going full dark, they didn't actually do enough still. Sure there are discussions and she does some shit to the the slavers but I really would have liked her to raze another city in Essos. Would have at least shown her using more brutal tactics to maybe potentially innocent people instead of her just being threatening but ultimately not doing that.

Right in the books I think she comes back, wins the battle of Mereen, then the pale mare rages on and she stops trying to save the sick and burns them all.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
The "Stay A Thousand Years" (vocal version of "Truth", the Jon/Dany love theme) track wasn't even used in the show ... it would've worked great in the throne room scene.

It's so much more emotional than the actual scene, lol. Ramin really brought it for the final season.

I'm so bummed this wasn't used in the show, it's absolutely stunning.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Even as far back as S2 (Dany talking to Xaro):

X "What do you want?"
D "To cross the narrow sea and take back the iron throne."
X "Why?"
D "Because I promised my Khalasar I'd protect them and find them a safe home."
X "(laugh) You want to conquer the seven kingdoms for the Dothraki?"
D "I want them because they're mine by right. The iron throne is mine, and I will take it."
X "Ah, a conqueror."
D "And how did you get all of this.. did someone give it to you?"
X "No, I come from nothing. I hit the docks like a piece of cargo.. except someone normally cares about what happens to cargo."
D "So you wanted more than you had and you took it. You're a conqueror too, you're just less ambitious."

I'm not defending the execution in S8 by any means (it sucks), but it's super interesting to look back at some of the dialogue from earlier seasons (presumably most of this characterization came from the novels) and see things I missed the first time. The writing was on the wall in lots of interesting ways.

I fail to see how this is congruent with murdering countless innocents for no reason instead of going straight for the person that holds the throne she views as hers by right.

Sure there's a tinge of ruthlessness in admitting you're a conquered. She's never not had that, but it's not nearly the same thing as what happened in season 8. It could lead there with other actions, sure. But these are just words and words that are nowhere remotely close to what she ended up doing.

This is also still before she gains much real power and maybe it hints at something (really just ambition) but the characterization can't overcome what she becomes when she gains real power, which is mostly a benevolent ruler, at least compared to others we've seen in universe. Is she ever perfect? No. Definitely not. No one in this series really is.

If that conversation is supposed to be a hint toward committing the absolute worst most evil act in the entire show, then really anyone could have and would have because almost everyone here has bigger "hints."

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
To me this reads: "George told them that Bran would be involved in two things in the books, so that is literally the only thing they gave Bran to do in the last couple of seasons." Which, yea that makes sense based on what we got.

Well yeah. They told them about 2 things:

1. About the Hordor thing and his role in that
2. That he would become King.

But GRRM didn't tell them about everything in-between.

Ebrietas-

Mar 2, 2019
So to stannis-stans here. Currently re-read a clash of kings, and the prologue alone paints stannis as the most bitter and unlikable person in the books. Didn't get the love for stannis on my first read years ago and still don't

The whole point is that he comes off as bitter and unlikable at first but is ultimately a righteous and legitimate king who only wants the throne because it is his duty.

GRRM's own words:

"And it is important that the individual books refer to the civil wars, but the series title reminds us constantly that the real issue lies in the North beyond the Wall. Stannis becomes one of the few characters fully to understand that, which is why in spite of everything he is a righteous man, and not just a version of Henry VII, Tiberius or Louis XI."

Last edited:

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
It's even more frustrating if they knew all along that they'd have to make Bran King and they did nothing to make it narratively make sense.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people are a bit too invested in certain characters, i'm afraid.

This is my biggest pet peeve with the criticisms.

It's clear as day the main issue with season 7 and 8 isn't the events the unfolded but the execution of those events.

However it seems like every other critique is like "How could you pick Bran you idiots, Jon or Dany or BOTH deserved to be king!"

The worst is the people who thought Dany going dark is somehow against her character and she was always a beacon of light and goodness.

Oct 27, 2017
Just to provide a counterpoint, I rewatched seasons 1 through 5 over the past few months (as I had stopped watching the show back at the end of the fifth season mainly because I was hoping that the Winds of Winter would be released soon). I definitely did not witness any implicit or explicit foreshadowing that suggested that Dany would eventually ruthlessly murder a whole city of innocents.

There's ruthlessness and ambition on display, of course, but that's a whole different beast that's entirely separate from the awful character development in the 8th season.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

It's clear as day the main issue with season 7 and 8 isn't the events the unfolded but the execution of those events.

However it seems like every other critique is like "How could you pick Bran you idiots, Jon or Dany or BOTH deserved to be king!"

The worst is the people who thought Dany going dark is somehow against her character and she was always a beacon of light and goodness.

Bran getting picked as king and Dany destroying Kings Landing after she's won is EXACTLY the problem you describe, they're both poorly executed twists. They're not "outside the realm of possiblities" in any shape or form, they are simply poorly executed and aren't given any breathing room whatsoever.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017

That's because the writers of the show failed completely at making Bran an interesting character or build him up as a realistic candidate for the throne. They skipped him for a whole season and after he came back in S6 his highlight was the Hodor moment and nothing ever since. He should be a key part in the Battle of Winterfell, he did nothing other than being bait. All of his scenes were so uninteresting that everyone thought that he must be hiding something, but it all led to nothing. I'm (almost) sure the books will make that moment feel earned like earlier twists in the story.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yup, for me the "problem" with Bran becoming king was that it made me feel nothing. Because the character for the last couple seasons made me feel nothing too, well maybe slightly confused. Definitely not against him being the king, but I was expecting some impact on me when the ruler resolves.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The whole point is that he comes off as bitter and unlikable at first but is ultimately a righteous and legitimate king who only wants the throne because it is his duty.

GRRM's own words:

"And it is important that the individual books refer to the civil wars, but the series title reminds us constantly that the real issue lies in the North beyond the Wall. Stannis becomes one of the few characters fully to understand that, which is why in spite of everything he is a righteous man, and not just a version of Henry VII, Tiberius or Louis XI."
I like him so much because of how funny he is in the books. If you think I'm being sarcastic then you missed all of his jokes.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bran getting picked as king and Dany destroying Kings Landing after she's won is EXACTLY the problem you describe, they're both poorly executed twists. They're not "outside the realm of possiblities" in any shape or form, they are simply poorly executed and aren't given any breathing room whatsoever.
That's because the writers of the show failed completely at making Bran an interesting character or build him up as a realistic candidate for the throne. They skipped him for a whole season and after he came back in S6 his highlight was the Hodor moment and nothing ever since. He should be a key part in the Battle of Winterfell, he did nothing other than being bait. All of his scenes were so uninteresting that everyone thought that he must be hiding something, but it all led to nothing. I'm (almost) sure the books will make that moment feel earned like earlier twists in the story.

You miss my point.

I agree with you that the execution and build up was horrible.

My issue is the people that seem personally attacked their favorite character didn't do X Y Z

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
You miss my point.

I agree with you that the execution and build up was horrible.

My issue is the people that seem personally attacked their favorite character didn't do X Y Z
And you miss my point. If the execution and build-up were appropriate and Bran was a well-developed character then he would be one of people's favorite character too.

Hell, personally I would've even preferred Cercei on the throne, that would make more sense.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And you miss my point. If the execution and build-up were appropriate and Bran was a well-developed character then he would be one of people's favorite character too.

Hell, personally I would've even preferred Cercei on the throne, that would make more sense.
No what I am saying is people don't give a damn about the botched execution. They wanted Jon or Dany. That's it. I've literally heard that as a criticism. "They spent all series building up Jon and Dany to take the throne and they didn't! BS! I was Team Dany!!!"

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
No what I am saying is people don't give a damn about the botched execution. They wanted Jon or Dany. That's it. I've literally heard that as a criticism. "They spent all series building up Jon and Dany to take the throne and they didn't! BS! I was Team Dany!!!"
Yeah, and I am saying that they should have spent same amount of time to build up Bran. :) To me "execution" and "build up" is not just the last 2-3 episodes but should have started years ago. Especially so if they'd heard from GRRM himself such a long time ago. But even if they decided to start promoting Bran this season they failed again, they gave him zero interesting material. Even in the battle with the Night King he just warged away and did nothing else! Unbelievable how this script got the clear to go to shooting and nobody dared to raise red flags about it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

People preferring characters that have been properly built up over the course of the show as opposed to characters that have just served as an extra at worst and convenient plot device at best for several seasons now... who would've thunk.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

People can be upset at both that and the horrid execution, its not mutually exclusive

People preferring characters that have been properly built up over the course of the show as opposed to characters that have just served as an extra at worst and convenient plot device at best for several seasons now... who would've thunk.

Lol right

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
I think you would have always had people get upset that their characters didn't reach their ideal endpoints. Unfortunately for GOT, alot of characters had endings that didn't ring true because they never built up to it and it comes off as rushed, which no one likes. Like hell, I still want to know how Sam Tarly was like a failed maester to a grand maester in a couple of months lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I fail to see how this is congruent with murdering countless innocents for no reason instead of going straight for the person that holds the throne she views as hers by right.

Sure there's a tinge of ruthlessness in admitting you're a conquered. She's never not had that, but it's not nearly the same thing as what happened in season 8. It could lead there with other actions, sure. But these are just words and words that are nowhere remotely close to what she ended up doing.

This is also still before she gains much real power and maybe it hints at something (really just ambition) but the characterization can't overcome what she becomes when she gains real power, which is mostly a benevolent ruler, at least compared to others we've seen in universe. Is she ever perfect? No. Definitely not. No one in this series really is.

If that conversation is supposed to be a hint toward committing the absolute worst most evil act in the entire show, then really anyone could have and would have because almost everyone here has bigger "hints."
I meant more about her quest to basically conquer the world in a ruthless manner. Having some of this foundation established so early on was something I didn't realize on my first watch. As I said, the execution was poor.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Like hell, I still want to know how Sam Tarly was like a failed maester to a grand maester in a couple of months lol.
That was really just fanservice, just like Bronn being master of coin. Why put qualified no-names when they can put familiar faces? Screw logic and consistency, we gotta have the fan favourites!

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
If D&D knew Bran was the endgame, maybe they could have, you know, not removed him from entire seasons and made him likeable?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of months? You can't rebuild an entire castle in a couple of months.

The people running this show have never had any idea how to show the passage of time.

If you asked 10 different people how much time had passed from X event to Y event, you'd get 10 wildly different answers.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Because Stannis is at his most unlikeable in the prologue.

He's turning more heroic as the story progresses.

I mean just check this out:

"For your onions and fish, I made you a knight once. For this, I am of a mind to raise you to lord."

This? Davos was lost. "I am content to be your knight, Your Grace. I would not know how to begin being lordly."

"Good. To be lordly is to be false. I have learned that lesson hard. Now, kneel. Your king commands."

Davos knelt, and Stannis drew his longsword. Lightbringer, Melisandre had named it; the red sword of heroes, drawn from the fires where the seven gods were consumed. The room seemed to grow brighter as the blade slid from its scabbard. The steel had a glow to it; now orange, now yellow, now red. The air shimmered around it, and no jewel had ever sparkled so brilliantly. But when Stannis touched it to Davos's shoulder, it felt no different than any other longsword. "Ser Davos of House Seaworth," the king said, "are you my true and honest liege man, now and forever?"

"I am, Your Grace."

"And do you swear to serve me loyally all your days, to give me honest counsel and swift obedience, to defend my rights and my realm against all foes in battles great and small, to protect my people and punish my enemies?"

"I do, Your Grace."

"Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King."

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. "Your Grace, you cannot . . . I am no fit man to be a King's Hand."

"There is no man fitter." Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

"I am lowborn," Davos reminded him. "An upjumped smuggler. Your lords will never obey me."

"Then we will make new lords."

Literally one of the most triumphant moments in the series is when Stannis recognizes Davos' value and sees beyond his low birth or his criminal past and thinks that Davos should be his Hand. This is Law and Order Stannis that we're talking about.

But that's also one of Stannis' greatest virtues. He can see beyond a person's birth and see the wisdom behind what they say. It's why he listens to Melisandre(a former slaver), Davos(a smuggler) and Jon Snow(a bastard).

He's got the determination levels of a Shonen protagonist:

Tywin Lannister: "Did you turn into an utter fool when Tyrion shaved your beard? This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

The king stood outside his tent, staring into the nightfire. What does he see there? Victory? Doom? The face of his red and hungry god? His eyes were sunk in deep pits, his close-cropped beard no more than a shadow across his hollow cheeks and bony jawbone. Yet there was power in his stare, an iron ferocity that told Asha this man would never, ever turn back from his course.

The king cut him off. "We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right." Stannis rose to his feet. "I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Whatever doubts his lords might nurse, the common men seemed to have faith in their king. Stannis had smashed Mance Rayder's wildlings at the Wall and cleaned Asha and her ironborn out of Deepwood Motte; he was Robert's brother, victor in a famous sea battle off Fair Isle, the man who had held Storm's End all through Robert's Rebellion. And he bore a hero's sword, the enchanted blade Lightbringer, whose glow lit up the night

He's got good intentions despite his bad methods:

"Edric—" he started.

"—is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm." His hand swept across the Painted Table. "How many boys dwell in Westeros? How many girls? How many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies . . . a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone . . . she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her?" He ground his teeth. "We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must . . . we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty.

Stannis ground his teeth again. "I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty . . . If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark . . . Sacrifice . . . is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice."

Stannis is like Bran in that he doesn't want to be king but it's his duty to be king so he'll do it and take his job seriously:

Why would you want it, then?" Davos asked him.

"It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son." He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. "I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean.
As Robert should have done, after the Trident. Ser Barristan once told me that the rot in King Aerys's reign began with Varys. The eunuch should never have been pardoned. No more than the Kingslayer. At the least, Robert should have stripped the white cloak from Jaime and sent him to the Wall, as Lord Stark urged. He listened to Jon Arryn instead. I was still at Storm's End, under siege and unconsulted."

Stannis is also a pretty insecure figure that doesn't want to be Messiah either:

"It means that the battle is begun," said Melisandre. "The sand is running through the glass more quickly now, and man's hour on earth is almost done. We must act boldly, or all hope is lost. Westeros must unite beneath her one true king, the prince that was promised, Lord of Dragonstone and chosen of R'hllor."

"R'hllor chooses queerly, then." The king grimaced, as if he'd tasted something foul. "Why me, and not my brothers? Renly and his peach. In my dreams I see the juice running from his mouth, the blood from his throat. If he had done his duty by his brother, we would have smashed Lord Tywin. A victory even Robert could be proud of. Robert . . ." His teeth ground side to side. "He is in my dreams as well. Laughing. Drinking. Boasting. Those were the things he was best at. Those, and fighting. I never bested him at anything. The Lord of Light should have made Robert his champion. Why me?"

"Because you are a righteous man," said Melisandre.[/quote[

Also Stannis has some funny zingers.

GRRM's even positioned Stannis above Henry Tudor because Stannis actually cares about the people and justice despite Stannis' personality flaws.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
That's literally what you are supposed to think until the character reveals more about himself and changes through his arc is ASOS. If you still feel the same way about Stannis by the end of that book that you missed the point of Davos's chapters.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
On adaptation changes, all the characters got significant aspects of their characters amputated from them in order to simplify them enough for TV:

Jon Snow got his intelligence, pragmatism and ambition chopped off and turned into an honorable action hero.

Daenerys Targaryen got most of her vulnerable moments adapted out. The house with the red door is an extremely important aspect of Daenerys' psychology and how the thing she wants most in the world is a place to belong to and her childhood back.

Arya's depression and self-worth issues aren't present in the show.

Sansa's biggest strengths are her kindness, her warmth and her charm. In the show, she's presented as this cold, bitter lady that acts like a mini-Cersei.

Tyrion's villainy and his misanthropic hate for the world is also missing in the show. Instead, he's this saint-like figure that only wants to do good. Rather than being the devil on Daenerys' shoulder, he's the angel.

Bran Stark's own self-worth issues, his place in society and his misery at his condition are barely present after the first 2 seasons. The show hardly actually delves into Bran. His dream to become a knight is hardly even referenced too. And he stops being a character after season 6. Not to mention that the lore aspects that would make Bran king believable are missing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

People wanted Jon or Dany because they were the only characters whose development built them for consideration.

Had they executed properly, people would have been more open to other choices.

Bran somewhat makes sense of you follow behind-the -scenes. But for the average person, it comes across as a reach for the sake of subverting expectations. The writers don't even feel like they earned it - which is why they had Tyrion deliver that Hamfisted speech. "If Tyrion tells the audience that Bran had the best story, maybe they'll kinda forget that we didn't story at all"

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
D71Cpp2WkAE0i0Q.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No doubt some of the actors were annoyed, but Kit fucks with people, and Clarke is close friends with D&D -- that moment is probably in reference to Dany's ending. People are still latching on to any quote or screenshot and turn it into something it's probably not.
I agree, I don't post in here that much because a lot of it is just shit memes. The only one I liked was professor Drogon.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
A couple of months? You can't rebuild an entire castle in a couple of months.

The people running this show have never had any idea how to show the passage of time.

If you asked 10 different people how much time had passed from X event to Y event, you'd get 10 wildly different answers.

Ah remember the days of Littlefinger teleporting in Westeros back in S2. Such simpler times back then.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Leave it to Stephen King to give me a new good term for this sort of situation

"It wasn't yknow, BOSS"