• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I imagine we've all had instances of games we thought we'd dig based on loving most games by that particular developer that we ended up not liking or outright hating. What are some of yours? And I mean developer/studio not publishers like Ea or the platform holders.

For me the recent one is Pyre. I hadn't gotten around to it despite loving Bastion and Transistor. I bought it cheap in a sale a couple months back and finally got around to playing it last night and today and man that's just not my cup of tea at all. I gave it plenty of time. Made it to the rite to set a party member free once and lost. Made it back again and won and played some after that before tossing in that towel and uninstalling.

The story and characters are ok, but I just hated the gameplay. I just didn't enjoy the "sport" you have to play or having to figure out the different party members moves, upgrades etc. Too much to mess with when I just don't like the gameplay at its core at all. Maybe if your teammates moved on their own rather than just being stationary until you pass the orb and take control I'd have enjoyed it more. But as is I was having no fun with it. Add in how repetitive it is once you've done that freedom rite once and I just couldn't stomach it anymore.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zero Time Dilemma.

I'd played a lot of things by Uchikoshi at that point -I'm probably one of like the 10 people on this forum who's finished Never7- but ZTD was the one I had the highest expectations for, and it's the one that crashed the hardest for me.

Doesn't help it was a loooong-anticipated game for me, the sequel to my then-GOAT, which had ended in a cliffhanger.

At least the soundtrack is good (even though the sound direction -where that soundtrack is played- isn't).

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dawn of War 3 from relic. Some truly awful deaign decisions were made. Even though I can infer why those decisions were made, the game was an unfinished compromise.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I know that I'm anticipating myself with this post.

But BioWare is my favorite developer ever, I've been hyped for all its releases, I enjoyed DA2 inmensely and Andromeda moderately, but Anthem is causing me pure indifference.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Star Wars. I will never play a SW game that comes from EA. I won't play any game that is published by EA.

Edit: I've read the OP. I know this isn't what it was asking. But this is the closest thing I can contribute.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda, big time. It wasn't what I wanted from ME, in fact it just made me miss the original Trilogy's characters and worlds more. I tried to give the game a chance, but after playing it I just couldn't.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yakuza: Dead Souls from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan by Platinum Games

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Trails of Cold Steel
I'll play 3 and 4 to finish the story but I wont be happy about the 2anime4u aspect

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it counts if you never played the game but i was a fanboy of bastion and transistor but I knew I wouldn't be able to get into pyre, sports games that aren't traditional (basketball, football) just don't work for me.
I think this was a common sentiment despite the critical praise which is maybe why hades is on epic store
Ac: unity huge ac fan unity was the worst I've played
Mass effect andromeda doesn't really count since it was a new studio

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
While Xenoblade wasn't completely terrible, it was a huge drop in quality from Gears and Saga and is easily the worst Xeno game.

Zero Time Dilemma.

I'd played a lot of things by Uchikoshi at that point -I'm probably one of like the 10 people on this forum who's finished Never7- but ZTD was the one I had the highest expectations for, and it's the one that crashed the hardest for me.

Doesn't help it was a loooong-anticipated game for me, the sequel to my then-GOAT, which had ended in a cliffhanger.

At least the soundtrack is good (even though the sound direction -where that soundtrack is played- isn't).

But this is unquestionably #1 for me. Such an unbelievable disappointment and trainwreck from top to bottom. I wish we could jump to the universe where a 3rd game never even got made.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed every Metal Gear game to varying extents, even MGSV, but Peace Walker is an absolute chore of a game and I hated it. The story ruined legendary moments from MGS3, the gameplay was the most basic bitch ass stealth dotted with some of the worst bossfights I've ever suffered through, and the overall gameplay loop was just this endless grind of replaying levels to develop better weapons to replay the same levels but harder. Hated it.

I was also really disappointed with RGG Studio's Fist of the North Star game, after loving almost every Yakuza. It was just so rote and repetitive, with nowhere near enough enjoyable content to justify the insane grind that it can turn into if you really get into it.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4. I think enough has been said about its pacing issues and emphasis on climbing, but one aspect I don't think receives enough criticism is its story, which isn't enough to carry the game because it takes too much from Uncharted 3, and doesn't do a good job resolving certain plot threads. .

Zero Time Dilemma.

I'm one of those 10 people! I hated that I had nobody to talk to about Never7 when I finished it because I really wanted to discuss theories about the story.

Did you also read Ever17 and Remember11?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
The Wonderful 101 is so shitty compared to the other good PG stuff. Who the hell wants to draw their weapons instead of hitting left or right on the dpad? Seriously, anyone?

Not to mention the countless gimmick sections.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I think Fire Emblem Fates is the first Intelligent Systems I couldn't bring myself to finish. I usually like even stuff like Sticker Star or Code Name STEAM.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Please try Pyre again, y'all. I know it's harder to get into, but it also took me a while and it's now my favorite Supergiant game. The gameplay does get more engaging as it goes on, and even if it doesn't for you, the narrative is their best yet.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Resident Evil 5 and 6, and sometimes Rev1, they went with a direction that doesn't fit with the series, and re5 even felt lesser action game than 4, starting from the bosses

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
rdr-xb1-fob-eng.jpg

I wish I was trolling. I really, truly do.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2. I had high expectation since they said they compiled the best from both previous game and I love Xenoblade X.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm one of those 10 people! I hated that I had nobody to talk to about Never7 when I finished it because I really wanted to discuss theories about the story.

Did you also read Ever17 and Remember11?
I have! And I really like them all.

I'd love to discuss them but it's been years since I read any of them lol

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda, big time. It wasn't what I wanted from ME, in fact it just made me miss the original Trilogy's characters and worlds more. I tried to give the game a chance, but after playing it I just couldn't.
Yup, Mass Effect Andromeda big time.

I like Dragon Age Inquisition a lot too, but Andromeda felt like a downgrade from that game in nearly every way. They made the zones way larger, but the vehicle to traverse them sucked and they fill them with less meaningful content than DA:I which already had a problem with lots of bland fetch quests.
The facial animations and models were worse (like how every Asari other than Peebee had the same face model, just slightly different colors or markings), and the story was a complete non-starter at trying to reboot the series. Bad villain aliens, and the new ally race wasn't as good as any of the OG races IMO).

I tried to replay it recently but gave up about halfway through. Even with mods on PC to make it better (faster vehicle, faster opening doors, shorter takeoff/landing cutscenes, etc) there's just so few meaningful choices to make in the story that there's practically no point in replaying it, especially with how massive the game is.

Dragon Age 2 I wasn't a fan of either, but it didn't make me lose faith in BioWare as a whole like Andromeda did. It helped that DA isn't my favorite BioWare property, but since Mass Effect IS its huge drop in quality was much more.

Literally the only good thing I can say about it is that some of the environments look great, and the gameplay is rock solid, it's just that after 30 hours of the same enemies and combat encounters it get a bit monotonous (and that was like only about the halfway point of the game).

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
Vanillaware's latest, Dragon's Crown? That was a complete miss for me. I hope they go back to the OS type of games

Nov 1, 2017
Zero Time Dilemma.

I'm getting very tired of always having ZTD in my back pocket for threads like this, but this is the answer, without a doubt. I've lost all trust in Uchikoshi. Even the so called "good" route introduced a lot of trash.

Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter. I generally like Capcom's games. But I cannot stand Monster Hunter. Boring characters and awful tedious gameplay. Not to mention it's a loot game which I hate with a passion.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whilst I wouldn't say I hated it, FFXIII was disappointing. Up until that point I'd loved or at least really enjoyed every single Final Fantasy game.

NJDEN

Oct 27, 2017
Bioware's Mass Effect Andromeda - Big fan of the previous 3 games and just did a complete play-though of them earlier in the fall. The way they took the story along with the myriad of technical issues were a real slap in the face to long time fans.
Bethesda's Fallout 76 - I ended up buying it post launch due to the recommendation of some co-workers, but the game is in a pretty awful state... Even if it was working well from a technical standpoint I'm not a big fan of the largely text / audio log driven narrative and I think it''s a poor take on a multiplayer "Fallout experience".
Dice's Battlefield V - Pretty much every way they have handled this game from the first press release I've found very off putting. I've been a long time Battlefield franchise fan since 1942, but the way they presented it as an "alternate history WWII", the absurd cosmetics, generally poor marketing, and their weapon progression system made me skip this one.

Apr 24, 2018
I really enjoyed Bastion for the gameplay and Transistor for the melancholic atmosphere, but Pyre by Super Giant Games did almost nothing for me after a few hours. If Hades stays PC only, I'll likely never get around to playing that, either....

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Destiny 2. I was kinda just over Destiny. This never happened with Halo even after all these years. I doubt Bungie will capture the Halo magic ever again.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Onrush from Codemasters
Fallout 76 from Bethesda Game Studios
Burnout Crash (the mobile game) from Criterion Games
Pokemon X/Y from Game Freak

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Okami, pretty much the only PlatinumGames game I cannot play, it's trash. Technically Clover Studios at the time but I see them as the same.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Binary Domain by the Yakuza studio. To be fair, I played it long before I played the Yakuza games, so I didn't have the same appreciation of the style.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Codename STEAM by Intelligent Systems. Usually I love their strategy games but despite liking similar mechanics like those found in Valkyria Chronicles and Xcom, I just found CS really, really dull. I disliked the characters and particularly the generic insectoid enemies. It's not the worst SRPG I've played by a long shot but I've finished far worse games as despite being mediocre or poorly balanced at least they weren't dull. The closest comparison on 3DS is probably Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (admittedly by talented Xcom creator Julian Gollum), and when Intelligent Systems is getting shown up at making SRPGs by a third party launch game spin-off from a b-tier franchise that still remains the best xcom-style firefight tactics game on the system, there's something very disappointing about it. It should have been amazing.

While on the subject of Nintendo, Sushi Striker is another. I'm glad it had a demo as I wouldn't have been happy to pay full price for it.

Finally, Square Enix. The FFXIII games sent FF from being an event in the hobby calendar to being a C-tier series to look at in the bargain bin if I've got nothing else to play. I've rarely seen a lead character that I want to be in an RPG party with less than Lightning, except maybe that tosser from Tales of the Abyss, and he was meant to be a tosser.

Last edited:
I usually love every inhouse production of Deadalic, but A New Beginning and Night of the Rabbit didn't click. Silence, their try to get a piece of the Telltale cake, was the greatest let down for me.
Secret Files 3 and Lost Horizon 2. I don't know what happened to Animation Arts, but suddennly their series went downhill.
Ninja Theorie's DmC. I loved the presentation of Heavenly Sword, Enslaved was well done as well and Hellblade is truely special. DmC doesn't fit in there, with it butchered story and iffy characters. I was really disappointed.
Maybe a bit too soon, but Beyond Good and Evil 2. All I've heard so far doesn't sound like something I'd like to play and pretty different from the first one. I played it several times and looked forward to a sequel, but now my interest is quite low.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Déraciné. Boring gameplay and a story with no ideas but a lot of cliches. Like the exakt opposite of From's usual output.