• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite GameSack videos this year. I've seen their other videos in the Games that Push their limits series, but I can't remember has there ever been any OG Xbox games featured? I need to rewatch the other 4 videos, it's been a minute. But towards the end of the OG Xbox's life there were some truly impressive games like Half Life 2, Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, The DOA ultimate collection, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory... games that just didn't look possible on consoles at the time.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite GameSack videos this year. I've seen their other videos in the Games that Push their limits series, but I can't remember has there ever been any OG Xbox games featured? I need to rewatch the other 4 videos, it's been a minute. But towards the end of the OG Xbox's life there were some truly impressive games like Half Life 2, Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, The DOA ultimate collection, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory... games that just didn't look possible on consoles at the time.
Doesn't seem so, just from CTRL+Fing the episode guide with "limits" and looking in the Games Shown column.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! Game Sack just released a review for Shenmue III!

There are minor story spoilers just so he can set up talking about the game kinda stuff, and other stuff people might consider "spoilery" too. Like locations, some mechanics stuff and things you are able to do in the game. So don't watch it if you want to go in absolutely "fresh."

ZR9WzRm.png

He found it a little disappointing because he wanted more "substance" to the story. He still liked the game though, and said he's already playing through it again.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that facial animation is rough. Were they going for a Dreamcast look for the character models or was it simply the lack of budget? The environments themselves look great, though.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The facial animation really confounds me as well. I just assumed there was at least passable lip sync tech available out of the box in UE4.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
New episode!

ks8TN4x.png

I've always wanted to get into Hard Corps: Uprising, but I think I might have less patience for replaying a level over and over to memorize it so I can run through it well, maybe (Actually that can't be true because I did that with Cuphead...why don't I play Hard Corps: Uprising more? 🤔).

Oh duh... I somehow forgot to click on "Post Reply" earlier this morning lol. Thank God for autosaving drafts.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His Shenmue III impressions sound close to mine to be honest. Enjoyed the heck out of the game but it definitely misses the landing when it comes to the story unfortunately :(
Can't wait to watch the new ep though, nothing like another reminder for me to play Hardcorps Uprising!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 266!

Kinda surprising there hasn't been an NES-only focused episode yet.

I still like playing NES games today from time to time on my AVS. Usually when I do now it's Super C, but I'll play Mega Man 2 sometimes too (those are the games I can beat "easy" in like 20 minutes or so). I'll play some Zelda II and Mike Tyson's Punch Out too, but I still haven't really beaten those games.
LwAtTUO.jpg

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the NES ep, and was greatful most of the big games got minimal screentime (we known all about Mario/Zelda/Mega Man already). Some cool games I wasn't as familiar with were shown, great for my knowledge, bad for my wallet!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
New episode!

k0rO9fa.png
I guess obscure is right, I don't really recognize any of these games. Well I recognize the name "Legend of Kay" (and remember its boxart), and it feels like I must've at least heard of the Pac-Man World games (at least 1 and 2, I don't think I've ever heard of 3), but this is the first time I've ever seen gameplay of any of these games.

Wow, again I forget to hit post and come back like an hour later to find my post saved as a draft. Dunno why this only happens to me for Game Sack posts (or does it?).

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first two Pac Man games shown off look like something I'd enjoy, kinda like the fusion of Pac Man and platforming. Kinda reminds me of some of those Frogger games that were released back in the day. Third one looked bad though, the setting, the forced combat...
Jersey Devil looks like something I'd have enjoyed back in the day but that camera angle and me would not get on these days, I get the feeling it'd drive me nuts.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty interesting episode this week.

I've always wanted my own arcade, or even just the PCB I guess. I don't really have that much of a want, or space, for all the stuff I'd need to be able to play them though, lol.

CzSpDKw.png

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pretty interesting episode this week.

I've always wanted my own arcade, or even just the PCB I guess. I don't really have that much of a want, or space, for all the stuff I'd need to be able to play them though, lol.

CzSpDKw.png

Yeah I really, really want to get a Supergun and start collecting arcade pcb's but it's $$$

Maybe someday

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could get a few more CPS2 boards but them suiciding prevents me. I have a few of the best though (AvP especially) so I'm happy. I'd love to get a complete CPS3 setup with War Zard but those are pricey as fuck.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 269

Other than like, I think Battletanx and Bomberman Online, I don't think I've heard of these games. Kickmaster, for such a ridiculously (awesome) name, looks like a pretty cool game.

W8Lsq7t.png
😢
RIP, much love to the Redifer family...♥♥♥

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Not a new episode, but this was just posted on the Game Sack channel.

It's a 3 hour compilation of different console-focused episodes.

Timestamps from the description.
Timestamps below:
TurboGrafx-16 - 0:00
TurboGrafx-16 episode 2 - 13:56
Pioneer LaserActive - 56:07
Nintendo Gamecube - 1:13:00
Sega Dreamcast - 1:35:10
Nintendo 64 episode 1 - 2:02:14
Nintendo 64 episode 2 - 2:27:40

No new show notes because these are just old episodes, but here are the old notes for each of the episodes included.

7VyMliX.png
oPqHLbm.png
5co45qi.png
cApbulq.png
3di58qR.png
9oD0lgp.png
esFO4HX.png

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Different kind of episode this week.

I think his views on cheating mirrors most people's opinions about it here.
Mr. Redifer said:
I don't think it's that big of a deal outside of competitive gameplay.
basically enjoy the game how you want to

QOQfGaV.png

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Another non-review week, but we get Mr. White back to play some Xeno Crisis with Mr. Redifer in a Playing with Sacks episode.

I actually can't remember if I'd ever heard of Xeno Crisis before. I kinda want to play it now though, especially since I can buy it on Xbox One.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Dave!!!! Always great to see the two of them back together. I wonder if he filmed a regular episode while he was around.....

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Back to a "regular" episode!

v8RAGDl.png

Rent a Hero looks like a game I wouldn't mind trying, especially back in the day. Wish it made it over here.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow missed that Rent a Hero got a DC release in Japan. Might have to track that down... I've not played that Transformers game in a while, and damn, it looks even rougher now. Even with the 360 attack its still a really rough game to play, I remember some of the late game (timed?) boss fights being a pain in the ass back on release. And seriously, the cutscenes can rival MGS/Yakuza in length at times...

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Some good ol' classic Castlevania love this episode.

H4EhnOb.png

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really good episode, and honestly more positive on the GB games than I expected - especially the first one which I felt was punishingly slow when I replayed it recently via the most recent collection. But all round a really solid episode that aligns with how I feel about the series.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Totally forgot today was Sunday.

Not a game-focused video, but this one was super interesting to me.

CHxE1IN.png

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Great episode! Really appreciate the work to upgrade and restore old TVs like this.

And that Zelda story, damn.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I would've loved if that Star Wars game came out on Genesis when I was a kid.

I used to be a huge Star Wars fan and have never owned a Super Nintendo. I used to borrow my friend's and like Killer Instinct or Donkey Kong Country, but I don't think I've ever played Super Star Wars.

WTF at that Clinton cat game...
Whoa, some Jamiroquai action going on with that Akira game lol...

Space Fantasy Zone looks rad as hell.

svhnA6J.png

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantasy Zone looked awesome. Pitty that was cancelled, looks way nicer than what Sega did with Space Harrier with SH2 on the MD. Likewise Akira looked like it had promise, probably would have still been average, but it had some cool ideas/effects.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Another great Game Sack episode!

I'm almost certain that I rented Two Crude Dudes at least once when I was a kid. I don't think I liked it all that much though, because I never wanted a copy of my own.

qjPF0u9.png

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Two crude dudes was, for some obscure reason, pretty popular with my schoolmates. Never really liked it tho, and Growl seemed so...old compared to SoR that never caught here. But great episode, as usual, even if I kinda miss the ninty fanboy (never remember who's who).

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
This has been driving me mad for awhile...what's the "Did you just say tits?" clip from/a parody of? I've been watching GS for like 6 years but I don't recall if the origin was explained in the show...

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get Super Spy Hunter, and maybe Dragon Fighter - those look ace. Growl looks like such a disappointing port though, such a drop in graphical quality compared to the arcade version, though I will credit them with the number of enemies on the screen at once, its something Final Fight on the Snes couldn't manage (that was a max of 3 enemies at one time)

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Love game sack. Only discovered them bout 2 months ago but watched all their console reviews and slowly making my way through all their old videos. Currently on no.45 out if 289 I think. The production is top notch, love the stop motion teardowns. Joe is awesome, really funny guy. Dave, well I'm warming to him a bit but he seems a bit robotic on cam. Awesome channel though. I've made my way through all Jeff gerstman's home streams, all of LGR. Both great. Any other recommendations?

Oct 27, 2017
Love game sack. Only discovered them bout 2 months ago but watched all their console reviews and slowly making my way through all their old videos. Currently on no.45 out if 289 I think. The production is top notch, love the stop motion teardowns. Joe is awesome, really funny guy. Dave, well I'm warming to him a bit but he seems a bit robotic on cam. Awesome channel though. I've made my way through all Jeff gerstman's home streams, all of LGR. Both great. Any other recommendations?

Scott the Woz
Nintendrew

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Will take a look.

To add to the above, you also can't go wrong with MetalJesusRocks, Stop Skeletons From Fighting or AntDude. I think AntDude and Scott The Woz used to be on the same channel or something, they're content is very similar but both definitely worth subscribing to.

On topic, that PS2 submarine game reminded me a lot of that one level in Lylatwars/Star Fox 64. I always wished they would return to underwater levels in Star Fox games after that but they never did. I'd settle for simply 'good' Star Fox games at this point, obviously.

Last edited:

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions. Already watched some metaljesus. I built myself a bartop arcade and love watching these guys play old games then playing them on my bartop. Emulation probably sacrilegious to them but I don't have room for all the retro consoles. Wish I'd never sold my all my old consoles from Atari 2600, master system, mega drive all the way up to now. Every year I get the urge to start a physical collection. Never had a jaguar and still want one now. Emulation for jaguar is not that great.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! We just got an episode last week, so bonus episode week!

VuH6Zmb.png

I guess the idea behind an Evercade thing like this is cool, but I'd honestly just rather play old games on my TV via some kind of FPGA solution (or original hardware with a CRT).

Hopefully, since the emulators are on each cartridge, they can add a button remapping feature for releases going forward. Also, what's up with all these audio issues?

Screwing up the buttons in Double Dragon 2 just seems like a dumb mistake (well, having the buttons backwards for any game really, but Double Dragon 2 especially).

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
This Evercade thing seems like a disaster. All the audio glitches and button mapping fuck-ups scream a rush job.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This was a fun episode. The Dream Machine looks pretty interesting.

Man... screw timed power-ups in shooters!

duWM6ra.png

There was also a sponsored video posted on the channel a few days ago if you want to watch it. I didn't post it here because it wasn't a real Game Sack episode.

*Skull Monkeys was previously talked about briefly in
Episode 72 of Game Sack.

Last edited: