• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Welp...It's the only console I'm interested in next gen so hopefully they don't goof.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
so just a bunch of speculation and no actual reporting or digging up info.

got it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a super shitty article, but whatever some need to latch onto.

Besides we've already heard everything we need about next gen. Drastically more powerful Zen2+Navi console with disc support, full PS4 BC, more first party games including sequels to God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spider-Man. Everything else is a bonus to me.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Arrogant Sony returns! Five Hundred Ninety-Nine US Dollars! Eyetoy! Your credit card information was just stolen! Riiiiiidge Racer!

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect jschreier to make n in-detail article if there really are problems happening inside SIE.
This.

I also call bullshit on the OP's article. There's been glowing praise of the PS5's power from those with dev kits or insider access, we have crossplay, PS Now just got competitively priced and is being positioned to have a stronger offering, and we're just getting started. PS5 is at least a year away and they have yet to drop the bomb that it'll play every playstation game from gen 1 through 5. Imagine what that'll be like. :)

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hearing from an unnamed source that Jim Ryan cancelled all 1st party titles to focus on buying exclusive Call of Duty game modes

Oct 27, 2017
Don't really seem like anything worthwhile to be honest. Sounds more like speculation.

We will see how things go but I highly doubt they would fuck up. Even Jim Ryan who said some really bad shit about classic games is one of the reasons PlayStation is huge in europe.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why there is so much secrecy surrounding console launches more so than any other consumer devices.

Like keeping devs in the dark? Why? They are the ones that make the content that sells these consoles.

I'd imagine them knowing about what is in store would help that platform. Didn't Cerny consult devs and gather up info to form a consensus of what the PS4 should be? I do not get this approach all for the sake of what? Surprise? Anticipation?

Consoles aren't refreshed annually. So there needs to be a certain amount of secrecy between competitors. Next gen consoles will be announced in the spring at the latest which is more lead time than most other consumer products.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
what? how is a journalist citing sources who think there is turmoil "fan conjecture"?

There are no sources. He is literally using public statements as his source.

The only source apparently has nothing to do with Layden and Ryan fighting and more to do with the organization rejig.

The crossplay and cloud quote is tales from the ass.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The weird thing is that they wouldn't wait to sort this crap out after the PS5 launch. Where is Shu and Cerny??

Oct 27, 2017
I think Layden was progressive on key issue like cross play and I liked that he was dedicated to actual physical games and hardware. Also, going on stage at Game Awards with Nintendo and Xbox

ryan's Push for cloud gaming can be good and I do think his emphasis on some older business tactics (like buying studios and making more exclusives, giving consumers more reason to only use your product) can be good as well. Ryan totally isn't the kind of exec who lets an official Ps rep go on stage with their Competitors

sucks to see a power struggle at the top. Sounds like had they let took away some power from Layden and he didn't like that.

I wonder if any of this has to do with the weird, soft announcement in Wired of the PS5. I get it, give people a taste but if they're waiting until early or mid 2020, why the fuck do you tease it loosely in April 2019 then? If it had an e3 June reveal that would make sense and if there is some sort of Switch October 2016 reveal video before this year ends then maybe.

Strange times at Sony

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This article upon reading it again is awfully full of leaps in logic. We won't have long to wait in any case

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are no sources. He is literally using public statements as his source.
"An employee at a major third-party publisher with direct knowledge of the situation has told GameDaily the confusion resulting from the global reorganization has made the switch, already difficult as is, even more concerning.

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, GameDaily's source relayed what their company is facing."

"There are no sources"

please read the article and learn what you are talking about before you post in a thread and embarrass yourself like this

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Damn, so PS5's launch isn't developing too well, and also, Jim vs Andy, ouch. I saw a few heads turn when Jim took over and I hope he's not just some Peter Moore/John Riccitello type garbage-man who chases profits and cancels shit we like because it's not "THE MOST PROFITABLE IT COULD BE".

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
The hell Sony!?! Are we still doing this in 2019? Have you learned nothing from Sega?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I went with PS4 this gen, but am not in love with their brand or exclusives. My console choice next gen will once again come down to which one plays 3rd party games the best.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will be fine. I'm sure PS5 has been worked on for years at this point. They have a great team on the hardware and software front, and marketing has been solid from what I can see. They'll be fine.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
"An employee at a major third-party publisher with direct knowledge of the situation has told GameDaily the confusion resulting from the global reorganization has made the switch, already difficult as is, even more concerning.

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, GameDaily's source relayed what their company is facing."

"There are no sources"

please read the article and learn what you are talking about before you post in a thread and embarrass yourself like this

Take your own advice and stop embarrassing yourself and READ - I said there are no sources to indicate that Layden and Ryan were at logger heads over cloud and cross play.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The story to me reads like a lot of it is on background. It is not surprising that most sources wouldn't want to take even vague attribution, and I really doubt they would print with flimsy or light sourcing. It's also stuff that isn't new to this article. I've personally heard similar complaints.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Why is everybody so dismissive of anything like this that comes out? Laydens term at this position was very short comparatively, and it happened seemingly abruptly. It's not doom and gloom, but it's definitely worth monitoring.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder how difficult it really is for third party developers or if this is mostly hot air.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Woah!
How did I miss the news that Shawn Layden was leaving?
Good luck to him. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.

but yeah, I'm not shedding any tears over his departure.
I've been rather critical of him since he first showed up on the gaming stage hocking that "hit" media property Powers ... He never seemed like a person who was into games like Adam Boyes or Phil Spenser, and really those are the kinds of execs PlayStation and Xbox should have.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Is the source reputable? I had to do a double take as it looked like gameindustrybiz at first but isnt.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The story to me reads like a lot of it is on background. It is not surprising that most sources wouldn't want to take even vague attribution, and I really doubt they would print with flimsy or light sourcing. It's also stuff that isn't new to this article. I've personally heard similar complaints.
Hmm

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
My feelings on Layden's leadership are mixed, but cloud-focused, content lock-in Ryan presents a future for PlayStation I'm not interested in.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
he looks like some stern, uptight character played by Ed Begley Jr.