• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Made a gif of the open-world "loading".

k8m5xv.gif

Insomniac is going to pull this off on the PS4 as well.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
The ray tracing on the front of that shop looks amazing, but I wish we could have that for all the buildings. Imagine seeing accurate reflections while swinging. Maybe next next gen...

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017
I love that cat. Hilarious!

I'll have to try to get over that stupid mid-air DMC/anime combat shit though. Augh.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna see the fun-house mirrors get their redemption.

Insomniac, I know you guys are reading^.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The ray tracing on the front of that shop looks amazing, but I wish we could have that for all the buildings. Imagine seeing accurate reflections while swinging. Maybe next next gen...

There are accurate reflections on all windows and glass buildings. But the reflections are not 1:1 graphical detail with non reflected world quality, still close enough and fantastic looking though.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Funnily enough they had already shown Spider-Cat but we all missed it or didn't believe 😂

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There are accurate reflections on all windows and glass buildings. But the reflections are not 1:1 graphical detail with non reflected world quality, still close enough and fantastic looking though.
Yeah I think we will only get 1-1 in very tight shots like the bodega scene. That shit is insanely good the reflection looks like a damn real life door opening. I'm shook lol

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yeah I think we will only get 1-1 in very tight shots like the bodega scene. That shit is insanely good the reflection looks like a damn real life door opening. I'm shook lol
That's also what amazed me. Reflections tends to be used on static object.
Here, both the transparency AND the movement makes an awesome result.
I can't believe we have that level of Ray tracing at launch. Can't wait to see the implementation in Demon's Souls.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
these actually look even more physically accurate now as compared to when we captured the footage.
Wat. Whew got damn.
That's also what amazed me. Reflections tends to be used on static object.
Here, both the transparency AND the movement makes an awesome result.
I can't believe we have that level of Ray tracing at launch. Can't wait to see the implementation in Demon's Souls.
RIGHT. AT LAUNCH. And people just thought we'd get puddle reflections.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

Pretty sure it does, but we just haven't seen much of it in the gameplay that's been shown so far. No swinging by any large, all-glass buildings for example. I've always thought that Spider-Man looked incredible on PS4 but that raytraced reflections would take it to another level, and I can't wait to see how it turns out in the final game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
While there are ways to achieve a similar effect and reflect off screen objects and characters without ray tracing (see cube mapped mirrors in RDR 2 and Hitman 2), I've never seen it with this degree of quality or on this scale. I think it's safe to say that these are ray traced reflections.
Yeah the way the door opened it was real time reflecting as it opened to say pretty much is adjusting on the object in real-time lighting wise vs a baked lighting that would have one consistent reflection throughout that animation.