Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
That's.... stupid. Surely I'm not the only one that flips back and forth on the tiles before deciding what I want to play. That would make the system have a conniption if it's start-stop-start-stop loading games one after the other in rapid succession.

It would be stupid with an HDD, but i think with a SSD it could make sense.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's.... stupid. Surely I'm not the only one that flips back and forth on the tiles before deciding what I want to play. That would make the system have a conniption if it's start-stop-start-stop loading games one after the other in rapid succession.
If it's not limiting the user experience, why does it matter? Seems like a good solution all around and nobody thinks about the hardware.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The performance RT mode in both Spider-Man games have been unplayable for me since the feature was added because the game hard crashes my console after a minute or two in that mode. At this point, I just accepted that it probably won't be addressed anytime soon, if ever.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It would be stupid with an HDD, but i think with a SSD it could make sense.
It's not the drive I'd be worried about (and honestly, with the SSD, you're cutting maybe a second or two? Is it worth it?). I'd be more worried about memory corruption. All those bits of games sittings in memory because the system couldn't tell what the user was going to do (it shouldn't be trying).

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Yeah every single PS5 game ive played crashes
Never had a single crash in a PS4 game on my PS5 though

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not limiting the user experience, why does it matter?
Causing game crashes across the board is something I would classify as "limiting the user experience".

I'm not saying it's a bad idea on paper, but you can't just toss it in willy-nilly and not expect some unforeseen side effects.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I've been damned lucky. Hopefully Sony addresses it for those affected.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
It's not the drive I'd be worried about (and honestly, with the SSD, you're cutting maybe a second or two? Is it worth it?). I'd be more worried about memory corruption. All those bits of games sittings in memory because the system couldn't tell what the user was going to do (it shouldn't be trying).

Well, we don't know how much data is loaded into memory while browsing the icons, could just be a small amount.
I surely have no clue about the benefits of that, but i will also not deny them.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Only game that's ever crashed on my PS5 since launch is Returnal today. It also fucked up last night because the blue doors stopped opening randomly during a run.

Demon's Souls, Astro, Miles, Sackboy, The Pathless etc, not a single crash.

So not sure how it's a platform issue.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Is this another one of those PS exclusive functions? /s

But...I had suffered at least 4~5 hardcrash to homescreen while playing maneater.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
The only crashes I've ever experienced have been from the remastered Spider-Man, thankfully. Pretty sure it was the game and not the system, though.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
"hmm what should we blame the crashes on"
"how about the console itself?"
"I love it"
"but we designed the game around rest mode as a way to retain mid-game progress"
"so what"
"rest mode on any modern electronics is a recipe for stability disaster"
"oh"
"..."
"..."

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Haven't had my PS5 crash on me since launch week. Miles was the main culprit back then. I've played over 6 hours of Returnal so far, no problems. I use rest mode. I use an external hard drive for PS4 games. I preload games, and I'm all digital on a DE.

Not sure what I'm doing different or if it's a console to console issue, but those kinks have seemingly been ironed out for me for months now.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this happen in persona, mafia 3, and a crap ton in miles and little hope. Been a while since it has happened but it was annnoying

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
That's just a guess on my part it might not be what was in the patent.

Also I'm guessing it will probably be after a certain amount of time if it is that.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
Only game that's ever crashed on my PS5 since launch is Returnal today. It also fucked up last night because the blue doors stopped opening randomly during a run.
Are you using the deluxe edition suits ? It seems those are causing the issues with doors not opening and they advise people not to use them for now.
There probably was some specific ps platform issue at launch, but from the bugs i've seen I find it hard to believe it's only that (like people blocked on that biome 2 mountain teleporter with no game crash or the deluxe edition suit problems, or people locked in challenge rooms because enemies aren't spawning)

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not an exclusive game thing. Dirt 5 (third party) was horrendous on PS5. Literally could not do more than 3 races without a crash.

Codemasters again blamed the OS. I think there must be something in the game code that conflicts with the OS. Miles crashed occasionally too until it was patched. Demon's souls was always stable for me though.

I would bet this is something that can be fixed by Housemarque as opposed to Sony. The reason I say this is because Codemasters fixed it before Sony even released new firmware and they were blaming the OS on their official discord.

I'm certain Insomniac (who also blamed the OS) also patched Miles before an OS update.

If this was a widespread issue caused by the PS5 OS then it would gain far more traction online.

just to offer a different perspective. Bugs can be mitigated even on the side of something that's not the root cause. The root cause is likely the OS not performing something to spec all the time. The fix for dirt 5 and miles morales was likely to gracefully detect and reset some internal state in the OS occasionallyz

Jquail

Mar 2, 2021
A known problem is that some games are constantly crashing on the PS5. Spider-Man Miles Morales is unplayable for me and for some of my friends.
If you are playing Returnal this weekend you might have experienced some crashes too.

Someone on Housemarque's Discord channel mentioned it and Housemarque replied:
"This is an issue with the PS platform. We've sent our report to them (Sony) . Specifically, it has something to do with the pre-start system."

I guess we have to wait for a few more stability system-updates to get rid of the PS5's 'crash' issue.

I try mention this every time this pops up, but the problem might be an issue with external HDDs and any data installed to the internal drive from the external one. I don't see this brought up a lot, so maybe I'm just an edge case, but removing my external drive, uninstalling any data installed from that drive and restarting the system fixed the problem for me. My PS5 has crashed maybe twice since doing this.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I've crashed once in Demon's Souls when trying to show off how quick it loads between areas, going back and forth, to a mate. Slightly awkward haha. And one crash with Miles Morales fairly early on. Nothing since then though. That was around the first week of the console's launch.

It does suck for people who experience them frequently though. Puts a damper on things and you can't help think your system might just be broken. And yeah, the OS does feel like it's in beta. I've had a fair few OS problems.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had an in-game crash since playing Spider-Man Remastered in November. I've had two rest mode shut downs but those happened overnight so it's possible there was just a power flicker or something.

Fingers crossed Returnal behaves for me.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
I feel bad for the people experiencing it. I have no problems with it whatsoever, had it since launch. (So maybe hardware related?)

Seeing it is a problem with all games I hope Sony gets this fixed ASAP.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
"hmm what should we blame the crashes on"
"how about the console itself?"
"I love it"
"but we designed the game around rest mode as a way to retain mid-game progress"
"so what"
"rest mode on any modern electronics is a recipe for stability disaster"
"oh"
"..."
"..."

Haha. I haven't put Nioh 2 aside and started Returnal just yet strictly because of the near non existent save system. I hover over the tile and get anxiety lol.

Also it's annoying how in every single thread when people bring up an issue that they and several others experience someone has to chime in and call it an overreaction or reiterate that because they themselves haven't encountered it, then surely it must be user error or just flat out bullshit. Every damn time lol.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it. I got multiple hard crashes playing Miles Morales. Haven't gotten any playing Astro Bot or 13 Sentinels though which are the only other games I've been playing on PS5. I wonder if it's because they're less intensive games.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Since launch I've played PS5 games WRC9, Fifa20, Madden20, NBA2k, Coldwar..then PS4games Warzone, UFC, Madden20, F12020, Fallguys, Gravel, TheHunter, Ride, SuperCross, and a bunch more...

And I haven't had any crashes. That being said for the first few months I didn't use rest mode because of what some were saying...but I use it now often. I've also had a external SSD that hasn't caused me any problems either.

Only issues I initially had were disc games trying to install themselves again...then needed to update those games... but that has thank god been fixed.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
I haven't had any crash since I got my ps5 two months ago, and i have played a lot of games, miles, valhalla, demons, etc, and also ps4 games. Maybe is a day one console's problem? Although I think it has more to do with the OS.
I play digital only, so it may has something to do with it.

berts08

Jul 27, 2020
Steampunk tower 2 is unplayable on PS5, it crashes every 5 mins. I know it's a small game, but I was enjoying and cant play it because it keeps crashing.

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Only crashes I've had were related to Cold War. Stopped playing that and haven't had any issues since. Returnal plays great for me. Weird that it seems to be affecting some more than others.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I've been pretty lucky. The only game crash I've had was with The Division 2 running from the SSD. It never crashed when it was stored on my HDD.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Happens to me all the time, even on PS4 games on PS5. Makes me regret getting one this early, as all of these issues really make it seem like the console shipped before it was ready.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of crashes are we talking about? My PS5 hard crashes and powers off after playing Fortnite for a few. The only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in. Then it goes through the whole self repair thing. It's pretty nerve wracking to be honest, but that's the only game it has done it in. Returnal has been solid for me so far.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had any bad luck there, other than Valhalla having some issues at times. Hopefully they'll fix it for those of you suffering.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I've had one crash with Demon's Souls four months ago. Outside of issues setting up an external HDD (which had nothing to do with the PS5 itself, it was a faulty cable), the PS5's been as stable as any other console I've owned.

So I don't know. If it's an OS issue, I haven't come across it in any of the games I've played since launch 🤷‍♂️

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I've had only 2 crashes on Miles Morales.
Nothing in Returnal (played for over 6 hours).

I always do a rebuil database / delete cache after a while (did it after installing Returnal). Maybe it helps? Who knows.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of a single time I've seen a console crash until the PS5.

When I first got it out of the box, I couldn't even scroll the UI without it constantly crashing. Luckily a factory reset seemed to solve that.

But even after the factory reset, over 80 hours of play I've had Demon's Souls crash three or four times, seemingly at random. Granted, four times in 80 hours isn't horrendous, but it's definitely weird.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Barely had any crashes on PS5 really apart from in Cyberpunk, but that games issues were well documented.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had miles crash on me in the first 5 minutes then never again, cod a couple of times randomly but thats about it. I hope returnal keeps up the good work because I've been having long runs no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.