• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Mine crashed in Days Gone when letting a large horde inside Lost Lake camp.
Thought the game got overloaded but I have seen PS4 managing the same section.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I had it crash pretty hard once playing spiderman remaster. I remember everyone unhooking their hdd's and avoiding rest mode lol.

That's all I've had but some people are apparently getting lots of crashes. They need to get that shit fixed.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently (I don't have a PS5, so I'm just reading what's going on), the game can crash for some users on the intro cutscene. There was a thread earlier today with that, including a video. So a checkpoint system wouldn't change anything.
I'm not denying there's work needed to make it stable (whether that's on the game or OS side), I'm saying a checkpoint system would at least significantly soften the blow of having the game crash mid-run instead of completely losing potentially hours of effort.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I used to have the same issues people are describing here but that was solved in the first firmware update that came a week after the system launched. Since then I have still had a few crashes by those were clearly the game's fault.

Weird how it's still going on for some people and that I haven't heard more about it. For the first week, it was rough but I was expecting a rough launch anyway. I'd be pissed if it was still going on five months later.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've only crashed twice in Miles Morales and I think once in Demon's Souls. But that's when it launched. Haven't had any issues since then. Returnal is going to be the next PS5 game I'll be playing since then.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
My PS5 doesn't crash much to be honest, except with Returnal, Immortals and Control. It's really bad with these three games, which is why I send it back to Sony for repairs or to get a new one.

It started with Immortals which crashes constantly when HDR is on. Fortunately when turning HDR off, or to the lowest settings in the game, it doesn't crash at all. Control constantly crashes in RT-mode, as in every few minutes, performance mode runs fine. Returnal unfortunately is the worst, it keeps crashing immediately when the gameplay starts, each and every time. So that game is literally unplayable. Hopefully it's all fixed when I get my PS5 back in a few weeks (they say it takes about 15 days).

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I had miles crash on me 2 times while playing, both within the first week. No problems since then, but there's definitely something fucky

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
Sometimes navigation on the PS5 dashboard is unresponsive when coming out of rest mode and I have to reboot.

It's happened twice in the last few days 😰

thematic

Fallen Guardian
Oct 31, 2017
does anyone with crashing PS5 from tropical area? it could be temperature issue.

sorry, I managed to get normal priced PS5, it should be arrived at 5th May and kinda worried about this. I'm from Tropical country so the temp is kinda high. around 31C in normal day.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Which suggests a hardware variance - not good.
That's certainly an explanation, but there's more than one.

It could be an issue related to environmental factors, such as temperature.

This could be an issue that affects all PS5s across the board, but is a somewhat rare occurrence. Some users would see nothing. Some would see a couple of crashes. Some would see a lot. All based on luck.

It could be similar to the above, but become more likely depending on how the system is used. This would imply a race condition to me, which is a particular type of software bug that can be a real pain in the butt to even reproduce, which makes them rather difficult to fix. Oh, and while it's not exactly likely, there's a chance even something like this could be compounded by environmental factors if they even marginally affect performance.

The fact that it's been identified as some sort of system level pre-start feature more strongly suggests a software issue to me than a hardware variance one. It can't be ruled out, but chip verification should catch these things before they're put into machines.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Zero crashes here on any game while playing on it pretty consistently since launch. I'm also using a pre-order outfit in Returnal and haven't had a crash in the 10 or so hours I've played.

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
Odd. I've played almost all these games mentioned and some of them over hundreds of hours. I have not encountered a single crash.

MattXIII

Oct 28, 2017
The only game I've had crashes on PS5 with is Black Desert, that crashes once a day

and it's a PS4 game

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I'm always astonished when I hear about the severe crash issues some people seem to be having, wondering what's going on there.
I've played through Miles Morales, Astro, Immortals, The Pathless, Bugsnax, Hitman 1/2/3, Olija, Cyber Shadow and played about 15 hours of Disco Elysium, Demon's Souls and Returnal on PS5 and had exactly one crash (Miles Morales, launch weekend). Hopefully the issue is identified and can be fixed soon...

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
My PS5 was stuck too multiple times on the loading screen when i launch the game on Demon's Souls Remake. (digital version)
Was this on launch? I had the same exact problem with the disc version but after a patch or 2 it stopped (I completed the game in 3 days and never played it again, so maybe I was just lucky).

What I have noticed are some system menu getting stuck, the overall OS feels unfinished and I can't remember the last time a console launch was so buggy and barebones.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i feel like this is a hardware issue

Nope, literally every PS4 game i´ve played runs without problems at all and i had no Returnal crash at all so far, yet in the beginning after launch most games crashed. it is their shitty and buggy firmware, nothing else.

the crashes are completely random, someone can claim that everything is fine and suddenly the crashes occur out of nowhere.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not denying there's work needed to make it stable (whether that's on the game or OS side), I'm saying a checkpoint system would at least significantly soften the blow of having the game crash mid-run instead of completely losing potentially hours of effort.
Oh, okay. When you said "Or you could add temporary mid-run checkpointing," I thought you meant one or the other. But I agree a checkpoint system could help with some things. If this is the same issue that's causing the game to always crash during the intro cutscene that another user was having, then I hope they'll find a fix soon so they can play.

Aug 14, 2020
The most my PS5 crashed was with cyberpunk (and LOL not sure that was a ps issue..). Haven't experienced any crashes apart from that though, maybe 1-2? But not enough to really take notice.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had hitman crash a few times but that's the only one tbh

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Going to try to figure out more about my situation today. I had very consistent crashes with MM and Returnal (within 5-10 seconds of opening cutscene), but then tried Control UE in RT mode yesterday, which worked fine. After that I tried Returnal again and it didn't crash in the same spot any more. Didn't have time to play more, but will try to continue from Rest mode today and see how long it works.

Just bizarre.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Well I've had my PS5 for about 4.5 months now and haven't had a single crash, so that's interesting but academic only to me so far. Guess people need more stability updates?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
My friends have a REALLY weird issue where Sackboy trips their circuit breaker. We've played maybe a dozen games (PS4 and PS5) and only Sackboy causes their circuit breaker to flip, lol.

It's bizarre as hell.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Only games I've had crash on PS5 are Cyberpunk (lol) and Ultra Street Fighter 4 (crashes on PS4 too).

So far it's video apps that give me the most trouble Amazon Prime and HBO Max constantly crash.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Ok so if anyone is having crashes constantly in RT games assume it is your console that needs replaced. I would act accordingly to avoid being stuck with a console that cannot play the vast majority of next gen games which will make advantage of the hardware whether or not it uses RT.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I don't remember if Miles Morales ever crashed on me, but I heard people had issues. I've been playing Returnal like crazy the past couple days and had zero crashes thankfully! Yesterday the game was running well past 10 hours.

EDIT: not trying to be rude or start shit, but I don't know about the title of the thread. The Returnal dev mentioned the crashes they're seeing are a platform issue, but I'm not sure that means crashes from other games are from platform issues as well. Pretty sure my Cyberpunk crashes every 30 minutes (almost like clockwork) was definitely not a platform thing, although that was a PS4 game technically.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020
Yeah i has been pretty bad. Even HZD crashed a few times on me the other. I don't think I've so many crashes playing on consoles before. PS5 has been terrible. Games like Dirt 5, CP2077, Spiderman all have been bad with crashes.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
My friends have a REALLY weird issue where Sackboy trips their circuit breaker. We've played maybe a dozen games (PS4 and PS5) and only Sackboy causes their circuit breaker to flip, lol.

It's bizarre as hell.
Different games can cause a console to pull different wattages I believe. Circuit is like 1500w. Can't imagine sackboy pulls more than 200w - so that circuit must be really overloaded. Tell them to move something off the circuit.

ShinyCoin

Oct 15, 2020
I only crashed 2 times and it was while playing TLOU 2. Interestingly, both crashes happened in a specific area at Capitol Inn in Day 1, but I think it was likely the game's fault

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a few crashes across different games. Really weird how it varies amongst individual units.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
RT may be a factor ? I've never play Miles Morales and Cold War in RT mode more than 2 minutes lol

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unwilling to touch Miles Morales until they sort the crashes out. I've not had many crashes elsewhere, but that game seems cursed and I have the illogical feeling that it'll cause more crashes in the other games if I play it.

I'm itching to play the damn game though.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
I had crashes a lot on miles morales on the ps5 launch,stop playing it untill February and never had anymore crashes beat the game since then and played other games with no crashes .

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Thankfully I've only had a single crash playing Miles Morales so far. Other than that my PS5 has been flawless.
No crashes playing Returnal so far.
*knocks on atropian wood*

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yep! Weirdly no crashes. I got the platinum too so I played for at least 30hrs. I heard loads of people had problems with it crashing though.
Damn, not bad. Here (around ten PS5 owners) we still can't play it. Some can play it for 20 minutes before it crashes, others max. 5 minutes. Super annoying. And it looks like Insomniac is done with patching the game. So maybe it really is the PS5 firmware causing all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.