• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kost2coast

Oct 27, 2017
When I was younger and playing FF9 for the first time and getting to this part. It rekt me pretty hard from not only the music but that fact that the song name itself "you're not alone" made the part of the game more memorable for me. It was my first FF to beat so it hold more nostalgia to me than anything

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The most?

Mother 3, the ending hit me very hard, and this was before my own mother passed away, im terrified of playing it now. Just watching the ending on youtube gets me teary eyed.

Honorable mentions:

-Undertale

This one is funny, i didn't cry playing the game, but waaay after i beat it while talking about it with a friend (who also beat it) i began crying out of nowhere, tears of joy tho.

-Elite Beat Agents

"A Christmas Wish", no joke, this level affected me in such way that up until the Deadpool movie used the song in a really silly scene i'd cry just by listening to "You're the inspiration". Thank You Deadpool.

Also, Elite Beat Agents. Played it on the Christmas morning I got it, it hit me in the gut:

tumblr_m2xlvg07Kn1ql3a4xo1_500.gif

Failing this particular bit is incredibly depressing!

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3 at the end of the Blood and Wine expansion.

I'd taken one character from Witcher 1, Witcher 2, Witcher 3, Hearts of Stone and now finally this. These were my final moments with a character I'd spent 300+ hours in the company of and genuinely really love for being a badass, being really funny, genuinely deep, loyal, caring, misunderstood.

Specifically, there were two moments that made me weep...

Firstly Geralt breaking the fourth wall - unbelievable. I didn't see it coming and it just rocked me big time. What a way to say goodbye. Actually said goodbye to by the main character himself - has that happened in any other game?

Then secondly, after the credits you can go back to Corvo Bianco and Yennefer (or Triss or Ciri) was there and you kinda knew Geralt was gonna be happy for the rest of his days.

Synonymous

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand even to hear the end theme to Terranigma. The ending is a huge mix of genuine sad, A.I. "the creators don't understand the full ramifications of what they're trying to pass off as a good thing" sad, and wistful-happy sad.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Definitely To The Moon. I'm skipping Finding Paradise for the foreseeable future, I don't need that at this particular point in my life.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
The ending bit of Journey made me sob and I'm still not sure why.
MGS3 ending, yeah you know.
Shadow of the Colossus...
agro's "death"
The final stretch of The Last Guardian made me openly weep.

There's probably loads more, I cry easily really haha, it's quite embarrassing.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Some games maybe do it once.

Undertale because it has some very sweet stuff in there.
Muv-Luv Alternative had a moment with respect tears at what some of the characters did.
MGS3's ending - same as above.
Chrono Trigger made me cry as a kid the first time I arrived in the future. It was just so bleak.

I've never cried so much in a game than with Nier Automata.

Three times.

Huge spoilers
When 2B died
When I saw Pascal selling the Childrens' Cores
The credits (though that was a happy cry)

Yoko Taro's wild ride man.
Wait, what? I didn't know about the second spoiler you listed.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian, so bitter sweet and emotionally upsetting several times during the story, especially the end. Really sad in a good way.
I didn't cry after I beat Final Fantasy XV, but I found it so depressing and bleak that it took me some days to be able to get back to it to tackle the end game stuff. Really sad in a bad way.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
The only game that, as far as I remember, made me cry was Xenosaga III (ending part)

The Last of Us beginning and end was quite emotional too.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No cry, but Mother 3's and Terranigma's ending had me feeling pretty down for a good two days

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Not I, but during the True Ending of Undertale I looked over at my roommate and he was BAWLING.

It was very sweet and I was glad it was special to him too.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I bawled like a baby when Don put Maria out of her misery in Gears of War 2. Come at me bros

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3's ending definitely got me good.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
FF7
MGS3
Persona 3
Persona 4 Golden (two times in the same game)
Nier
Nier Automata
Life Is Strange
The Last Guardian (made me and my wife tear up)

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
The very end of TWD S1 killed me emotionally. I was crying the entire end sequence in the shop with Lee and Clem.

TLOU also got me right at the start, but I cried more in TWD.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The endings of Persona 3 and Shadow Hearts: Covenant got me misty eyed, but Nier really fucked me up. I only played it recently and made an LTTP thread, it's the only game I've ever found upsetting while actually playing it (rather than simply watching a sequence/ending and reacting to that).

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Off the top of my head, I can mention Chrono Cross and Klonoa (both the original and the Wii remake).

Chrono Cross with its best ending.

Klonoa has that scene around middle-game, and the ending is a brutal punch in the feelings.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Brothers: A Tale of two Sons (specifically the swimming part, I was fine up until that hit me).

Half-Life² EP2 ending. Fucking hell.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? I didn't know about the second spoiler you listed.

Route C Spoilers
If you choose to erase Pascal's memories, you can go back to the ruined Pascal's village and find Pascal there. He (obviously) doesn't have any idea what he's doing there and calls the remains of his friends/family "junk" and sells their parts to you.

One of them is the Children's Cores.

I had actually just taken a hour-long break because the suicide scene before that was so heavy. Went back to the village as 9S just out of curiousity only to get a gut punch and "you fucked up...real bad." Shit hit me so hard it was like a dam broke and the tears were flowing (and it really goes out of its way to make you think you're making the right choice...at first.). Don't think I've ever had a videogame choice screw me over that hard before that wasn't leading to a Bad End. I really wanted to get off Yoko Taro's Wild Ride at that point.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
A game has never made me cry.

Although, in Wolfenstein II, the brief flashbacks showing young B.J. and that girl connecting got me a little upset. Only because I assumed she's dead/was killed over some bullshit racism. But I don't think it's ever explored in the campaign. When bad shit happens to children, I get upset.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Route C Spoilers
If you choose to erase Pascal's memories, you can go back to the ruined Pascal's village and find Pascal there. He (obviously) doesn't have any idea what he's doing there and calls the remains of his friends/family "junk" and sells their parts to you.

One of them is the Children's Cores.

I had actually just taken a hour-long break because the suicide scene before that was so heavy. Went back to the village as 9S just out of curiousity only to get a gut punch and "you fucked up...real bad." Shit hit me so hard it was like a dam broke and the tears were flowing (and it really goes out of its way to make you think you're making the right choice...at first.). Don't think I've ever had a videogame choice screw me over that hard before that wasn't leading to a Bad End. I really wanted to get off Yoko Taro's Wild Ride at that point.
Ah. I don't think I visited that place after that event, and I made the same choice you did.

That's... ow.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread! I've got a few to talk about:

-The Last of Us
Yeah, I know this is a pretty obvious pick, but the opening with Joel's daughter gets me every time. It is perfectly acted and animated. I didn't see it coming the first time I played either. I'm glad I got the game at launch.

-Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
The ending I got was heartbreaking. Spoilers to follow
Finding out the entire game was the daughter imagining her father on this quest to see her again
was unexpected and more than I could handle.

-Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
So there is a point in this game where a certain party member is lost and you are unsure of their fate. Spoilers -
When you travel to the sort of limbo/netherworld and you hear Mile's bell ring in the distance, that's when my heart sank.
Great game. I know its a very old-school JRPG even down to the writing, but I really enjoyed it and I wish it could get a remake or a digital release. Oh well.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017

"Just one more thing... The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded.. Never forget them." ;-(

- Yuna, FF10

Seven4sses

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker

When you come back to Outset Island and find you grandma sick and filled with sadness, the music hit me hard. She reminded of my mom and that is what caused me to break down a bit.

Undertale

Two instances: When you reach the house for the first time and you hear the guitar playing and when you finally reach the true good ending. Hearing the music playing when you see how it all started got to me and made me feel for Asriel at that point. The music in the house just made me feel good on the inside and be glad I still have my parents and my dog here with me.

Last edited:

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten choked up at several games, but the only game to actually make me shed tears was Yakuza 0.