• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
BrothersThumbnail_1280w.jpg

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
What takes it out of Crisis Core is knowing the fate already of the protagonist since the game came way after FFVII. Had it been reverse, oh yeah. The music is so damn good in that game, especially tracks like Price of Freedom and Why which both end the game. Nevermind they are fantastic tracks in itself but especially during the time they play, they really add to the overall feeling.

Damn good protagonist nevertheless.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Metal Gear Solid 3
Persona 3, 4, and 5
NieR
Final Fantasy XV
Yakuza 3
MOTHER 3
Clannad
Undertale

Some more recent ones I can think of.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've never cried, but there's a scene in The Witcher 3 that had me close. I really care for those characters.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
The endings for every Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game have always gotten me sad. I don't remember crying at any game, though.

Also, that reunion scene in Witcher 3 was killer.

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Two games have made me cry, The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy X.

TLG's last third is probably the most emotional moment I've ever experienced when playing.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
MGS, MGS3... MGS4 as well.

Journey, every single time. I played through it about 6 times. That last level music.

Ico, SOTC and TLG. :| even though I expected to cry like a baby playing TLG, it took me off guard. I must have lost 5 pounds.

Rime. Again, I expected it to be sad. It delivered.

Rain. A hidden gem based around a wonderful piece music.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a game has ever made me cry but I'm a complete baby during movies and tv shows

Raine

Nov 21, 2017
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.

Even being aware of what happens in the latter, it was still gut wrenching to watch it unfold.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
If visual novels (and I like nakige, VNs where are you are supposed to be bawling your eyes out by the end) aren't included, then Crisis Core.
Persona games in general, I start to empathize with the characters and don't want them to separate. Persona 4's ending had me devastated for a few days. It was "Looks like my summer vacation is... over: The Finale", and I wasn't having any of it after 100 hours with the party members.
This year - Nier: Automata.

If VNs do count then it would be G-Senjou no Maou's final sequence with the prison visits. Turned into a sobbing mess as soon as Close Your Eyes started playing.

Last edited:

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
Never cried and prob never will unless games change drastically but i would lie if i didnt say the end of The Last Guardian didnt hit me pretty hard. Probably the closest to that aching feeling by a country mile. Very touching and heartbreaking.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Never cried in a video game but Tales of Berseria's ending brought me the closest to breaking down in tears. Tales games have this notorious history of bittersweet, cheesy endings but in Berseria it was so extreme, deeply personal and depressing even though I expected things to turn out this way. After a 40 hours journey with this awesome gang it just broke me to pieces, couldn't stop thinking about it for almost a weak.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
No other medium has the ability to make me feel emotions like video games. The interactivity just makes everything have a greater impact on me. Generally I tear up rather than flat out sob, but the tearing up has happened in a lot of games.

Mother 3, Terranigma, and Persona 4 are probably the games that made the tears flow the most and the hardest.

Feichaw

Oct 27, 2017
I usually cry when I finish a game that I invested a long time in it, but I think that I did it the most after playing Persona 4, Persona 5, Zelda: BOTW and Mass Effect 3.

TaurezAG

Oct 29, 2017
Not cry but had a deep impact is a combination of a game and a music video: Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Linkin Park - Castle of Glass
I saw the music video after I completed the game and the music video is like an epilogue to the game's story. The game's ending didn't affect me much but the music video did. I made me realize how much people in the military sacrifice for the safety of civilians and their nation. Hearing or remembering that song still makes me melancholy.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No other medium has the ability to make me feel emotions like video games. The interactivity just makes everything have a greater impact on me. Generally I tear up rather than flat out sob, but the tearing up has happened in a lot of games.

Mother 3, Terranigma, and Persona 4 are probably the games that made the tears flow the most and the hardest.
Terranigma's gotta be the most recent for me (replayed it a couple months back). The first town theme still gets to me a bit...

Illusion of Gaia hit me pretty hard, too, while on the topic of the Soul Blazer games. I really miss the series's strange, poignant storytelling. The grander aspects of its philosophies on reincarnation and spirituality went so well with telling more subtle, human stories about loss, growing, and life continuing on.

A lot have already been mentioned (Mother 3, Final Fantasy XV's last cutscene...), but I think the first for me was Breath of Fire II, but for the life of me I can't remember which part. I just remember being surprised that a game would make me get emotional like that (and, in retrospect, that such an awfully translated one could). Also, Breath of Fire IV's themes of finding beauty in a horrible world and sharing it with others got to me as well, as cheesy as it is.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Threads like this on the old site are the reason I haven't played The Last Guardian and probably never will

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
When Super Mario Galaxy came out, I was playing it and I actually had a pretty high fever.

And then when the little story segment about Rosalina came up and how she was alone or something I started bawling. Like Niagara Falls.

That happens when I have a fever like that though. Another time I was sick I was at home watching 2020 or something and they looked back on when mr. Hooper died on Sesame Street and it was curtains for me. Curtains.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
The intro to The Last of Us always get to me.. The acting in that game is something else, almost like watching a good movie.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Life is Strange seasson 1, I cried during episodes 3,4 and 5 xD...

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Good old Persona 4 Golden and the best ending had me cutting onions all night long.

Last Guardian destroyed me. But I got back up after that nice after credits ending.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe cheesy but I got a bit choked up during the final Lee/Clementine sequence in TWD S1 and subsequently the Lee flashback in S2.

TLG didn't make me cry or anything but I did develop an attachment to Trico and really hated seeing it get hurt when it would be attacked.

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
Brothers a take of two sons almost had me but nothing compares to The Last Guardian

tumblr_ok4hxbsEHG1ukholjo1_r1_500.gif

As a dog owner that ending absolutely destroyed me. I was bawling for a good 20 minutes after.

I still haven't built up the nerve for a second play-through despite the game being my GOTY.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I cry about real situation, but with videogames or movies, I know they are faking it so I don't get emotional do You think I have a problem because I know what's fake and what's not?

Nah man I don't think you have a problem. But if you can't let a game (or a movie, or a book) have any emotional impact because you know it's fake then I think you're missing out, or just different to me I guess.

I dont want to feel the emotion of losing a loved one, or running for my life, or facing the fact I'm gonna die. But art lets us do that from a distance, and that's the whole point of it in my opinion.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Less "cry" and more just general feels, but

0000047_m.jpg

I loved how Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was able to present a gripping mystery without being overly heady. It's a game that manages to be all heart and melancholy without ever being cringey or overbearing. My favorite moment is walking out of the church and encountering the light path character transition thing for the first time. It really stirred something in me that I didn't expect.

This is also a good one. What got me was definitely the "swimming" moment near the end.

Also have to add this:

mgs5_quiet_leaving_game.jpg

Quiet leaving forever
in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain really wrecked me.
I wasn't like super attached to the character, but the music, and seeing the credits roll and knowing that I had probably played the last true MGS game ever when it is my favorite series ever was a real big experience.

Last edited:

WITHE1982

Oct 28, 2017
Less "cry" and more just general feels, but I loved how Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was able to present a gripping mystery without being overly heady. It's a game that manages to be all heart and melancholy without ever being cringey or overbearing. My favorite moment is walking out of the church and encountering the light path character transition thing for the first time. It really stirred something in me that I didn't expect.

Good shout. Despite the pacing and slow walking speed the voice acting in EGTTR was incredible. Some real gut wrenching dialogue delivered in a very believable and heartfelt way.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing in the Last of Us made me cry but that game pulls emotions in so many ways. Anger, sadness, frustration. It's an emotionally draining game. That's why its awesome.

Beginning of Chapter 7 in Xenoblade 2 goy me though. No tears but that misty eye shit for sure.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
Oh man good thread OP.
I suppose for me it may need to be Nier 1 and MGS4 That moment in Nier when
Well, pretty much anything that happened with the people of the mask, stuff like the wedding and right towards the ending had me bawling my eyes out

In MGS4 the hour long credits cutscene was really well done with the music and script. 'no, maybe the world is better without snakes' and 'this is good, isn't it?' are quotes that I remember hitting me real hard
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Staying true to my pfp I have to have the shoutout to FFXIV: Heavensward expansion where
My bro, my husbando, Haurchefant dies protecting you since you recklessly dashed to The Archbishop and leaves us with his final words 'Oh, do not look at me so. A smile better suits a hero...'

I'm sure there have been more that have made me wept somewhere along the lines but these are definitely the more recent/memorable.