• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Prey (2017)

Definitely the last games that will have the feel and look of what you will play in Cyberpunk

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
It's still a massive paradigm shift, because it would focus on guns/ranged weapons as much if not more than melee ones. The dynamics between first and third person completely change. An RPG that feels like CoD and an RPG that feel like Uncharted are two massively different things. Consider movement, spatial awareness, use of cover - radically different games.
GTA V in first person isn't suddenly COD. It's still GTA.

Cyberpunk wouldn't suddenly be revolutionary (if it isn't already) just by being third person.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these first person for Cyberpunk discussions have always been funny to me. People never complained about it in Deus Ex games.

Maybe try Deus Ex games, OP. Especially the newer ones.
Well, of course not. Cyberpunk aims for a mass market spot due to the success of their latest game.

Who cares about Deus Ex? I played Mankind Divided for about half an hour (PS+) and never went back...horrible to play.
So in that sense, OP, my situation is very much comparable to yours, although I don't have a problem to play Bethesda games in First-Person. There is not much else though for my interests.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. After reading the previews for Cyberpunk my imagination could not refrain itself from running wild with what CD Projekt Red could do with a Vampire sequel. Dreams, I know...

MisterX

Oct 28, 2017
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is the closest thing to Deus Ex and Cyberpunk 2077. It's not cyberpunk but it feels very similar in atmosphere with dark urban environments and it's got lots of dialog and choices to make, as well as a lot of clans (classes) to choose from and character builds.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta second the Syndicate FPS reboot. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it should get you used to some futuristic sci-fi FPS action, without going overly twitch Call Of Duty-esque material.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, of course not. Cyberpunk aims for a mass market spot due to the success of their latest game.

Who cares about Deus Ex? I played Mankind Divided for about half an hour (PS+) and never went back...horrible to play.
So in that sense, OP, my situation is very much comparable to yours, although I don't have a problem to play Bethesda games in First-Person. There is not much else though for my interests.

The fuck?
How can someone say an Immersive sim like Deus Ex is "horrible to play".
God damnit ERA, I expect more of you.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A third person RPG in a modern/sci fi setting would be innovative, yes.

I can't think of another one, honestly.
It wouldn't be great in this case. The density of the environment and reliance on close quarters isn't optimal for third person and I'm thankful they didn't take that route.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Quake - 1996
Will solidify your fundamental FPS skills.

System Shock 2 - 1999
Deus Ex - 2000
Cyberpunk rpg shooter classics.

Dishonored 2 - 2016
Titanfall 2 - 2016
First person parkour + first person stealth.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
No mention of Observer?
It's a first person exploration game set in a Cyberpunk future, where you hack into people's minds

If you can stomach the poor framerate (on PS4 where I played) its a decent game to hold you over even though it is short.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is the closest thing to Deus Ex and Cyberpunk 2077. It's not cyberpunk but it feels very similar in atmosphere with dark urban environments and it's got lots of dialog and choices to make, as well as a lot of clans (classes) to choose from and character builds.
I think this and New Vegas can inform one of how an RPG works very well in first-person, and the likes of Mirror's Edge, Titanfall, Dishonored, and FEAR could be good for demonstrating how frenetic action can take place in FPP.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Deus Ex Human Revolution, Bioshock 1, Prey 2017, Dishonored 1, Dark Messiah, Perfect Dark.

Edit : I did not list any BGS games since you don't want to play them again, but I think you should. BGS games are not meant to be played at third person, it's so bad. It's just so you can admire your armor/character. I think you should play them in first person, games are so fun. Their games are all about playing them again and again with different builds. Try again Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas in first person mode.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I heard more than a couple people that watched the demo describe Cyberpunk as closest to the Deus Ex but on steroids and crack so check all those out.

Also the Dishonored games are AMAZING first person RPG-lite games so make sure you get on those.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
As all others said, it sounds like this game is going to be very similar to the new Deus Ex games (both of which were amazing, don't fall for the hate against the second one), Prey (one of if not my favorite game of last year) and the Dishonored games. Cyberpunk sounds like it's going to be an actual shooter with a deep RPG system, most likely deeper than those games, but at the moment those are the deepest we got with that sort of gameplay.

All those games are fucking amazing so you can't go wrong wherever you start.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people keep saying specifically the new deus ex games. The Original crossed with something like an OG fallout sounds basically exactly like what Cyberpunk is.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why so many people keep posting games similar to Cyberpunk instead of games that is good for people who rarely play 1st person view games as the OP asks.

I dunno, I don't play that many 1st person view games, but I'd say
Portal, Bulletstorm, Dark Messiah, Dishonored... On PC you'd have a better chance of getting used to play 1st person games as you can adjust the FOV (even on a workaround) which should make it somewhat easier to play the games.

Oct 25, 2017
System Shock 2, all of the Dues Ex games and Prey. Those are the games CyPunk is probably going to most most closely resemble in terms of mechanics.

If you want something just to get more used to the perspective then something like What Remains of Edith Finch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, LSD.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not sure why people keep saying specifically the new deus ex games. The Original crossed with something like an OG fallout sounds basically exactly like what Cyberpunk is.

I mean I'm a huge fan of the first, one of my favorites ever, but it hasn't aged well TBH. The mechanics are still deeper than the new ones but it feels extremely janky, and the two new ones are good enough to recommend for current games. If we were talking the Thief franchise I wouldn't even mention the new one, for example.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Prey 2017,Deus Ex the new ones(the old one is awesome,but dated),Bioshock The Collection,Dishonored(2 games + the expansion)

These games are really amazing,you'll have a blast

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
OP says "the floaty feeling and lack of body awareness is one of my biggest qualms"

Source games definitely suffer from this.
Strange, I never had problems with that. GoldSrc and Source movement seems to be the most comfortable for me in first-person games. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
If you want weighty, KZ2 is your pick lol. I recently started and Platinum'd Far Cry 3 in the space of a few days because I was again hooked by the lack of bloat, decent story, solid mechanics and sheer sense-of-place that game provides.

Things like barreling through the jungle and accidentally clipping a tree, slamming the protagonist against the dashboard and genuinely disorienting yourself, an emphasis on stealth that's punctuated by the weighty and joyful takedowns, and the wingsuit all combine as examples that make it a joy to play even today.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If you want to get used to playing 1st person shooters then I'd say:

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst.
Titanfall 2.
Portal 1 & 2.
Doom.

Spend a bit of time playing / getting used to the controls on these fast paced 1st Person games and you will be able to play any 1st Person game with little problem. Great games too.

Then to get in the mood for Cyberpunk maybe play Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
To add to everything already said, I have a kinda weird suggestion: What Remains of Edith Finch is neither FPS nor RPG, but it's a very nice short first person game with a great story, I highly recommend it.

And yes, play both Portals!

OP
OP
bulletyen

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Seems like Mirror's Edge is good for movement and body awareness, and Observer looks like a small taste of what Cyberpunk 2077 will be. Dishonored and Prey sound like they have deep systems/ narratives so I think I'll like that. As I said I've already played Deus Ex Human Revolution... but got bored of Mankind Divided. Thought the auto perspective switches were weird. : / But I did like that the games didn't force combat on me.

All these first person for Cyberpunk discussions have always been funny to me. People never complained about it in Deus Ex games.

Maybe try Deus Ex games, OP. Especially the newer ones.
Yeah but nobody expected Deux Ex to be third person. Why would you? Neither the franchise nor the developer has had a history of being third person. As far as I'm aware they were also not many people's highly anticipated dream games with hefty expectations weighing them down.

One of the most surprising things about the Cyberpunk showing is all the "I hate/refuse to play/have never played first-person games" people it brought out of the woodwork. And the weird explanations for such. Console-focused? Tons of console games are first-person and have been for over two decades, particularly if you owned an N64.
I was aware FPS's existed on N64 and the following console era, but compared to the tons of other genres that dominated those systems they were never at the forefront until last gen. I was all about those Japanese games, their golden age, and so few of them were first person. Believe me, gaming is diverse enough to never touch an FPS in your life and have tons of fun.

Not sure why so many people keep posting games similar to Cyberpunk instead of games that is good for people who rarely play 1st person view games as the OP asks.

I dunno, I don't play that many 1st person view games, but I'd say
Portal, Bulletstorm, Dark Messiah, Dishonored... On PC you'd have a better chance of getting used to play 1st person games as you can adjust the FOV (even on a workaround) which should make it somewhat easier to play the games.
Thanks for your considerate response. Bulletstorm and Dark Messiah seems pretty wild. Might try them out.

If you want weighty, KZ2 is your pick lol. I recently started and Platinum'd Far Cry 3 in the space of a few days because I was again hooked by the lack of bloat, decent story, solid mechanics and sheer sense-of-place that game provides.

Things like barreling through the jungle and accidentally clipping a tree, slamming the protagonist against the dashboard and genuinely disorienting yourself, an emphasis on stealth that's punctuated by the weighty and joyful takedowns, and the wingsuit all combine as examples that make it a joy to play even today.
I actually got killzone 2 sitting in a box somewhere. I bought it precisely because I heard it was weighty even back then. Then I forgot about it. Guess it's time to dig it up! Far Cry 3... your description makes me want to try it.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most surprising things about the Cyberpunk showing is all the "I hate/refuse to play/have never played first-person games" people it brought out of the woodwork. And the weird explanations for such. Console-focused? Tons of console games are first-person and have been for over two decades, particularly if you owned an N64.

Anyway, as many here have already said, play the last two Deus Ex games, they're probably the closest analog to what Cyberpunk will be, although Cyberpunk's gunplay is far more involved. Maybe try a recent Far Cry for a more action-oriented angle on things.

Not surprising given common sense; you had a ton of people excited for it given the Witcher series, especially Wild Hunt. Since none of those games were first person, you had a lot of people expecting a game that played like Witcher 3, but in the future. Quite a few games journalists commented on it in their impressions. And given that, yeah, some people dislike (or straight up can't play) games with FPP, this is what you get.

There's not really anything weird or surprising about it. Put me in the camp that dislikes FPP games but is gonna try this one out since Witcher 3 earned a lot of goodwill from me. I'm still afraid I won't be able to get through the game though.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah but nobody expected Deux Ex to be third person. Why would you? Neither the franchise nor the developer has had a history of being third person. As far as I'm aware they were also not many people's highly anticipated dream games with hefty expectations weighing them down.
Why should anyone expect Cyberpunk 2077 to be third person just because The Witcher games are in third person? It's a totally new IP.

It's like expecting Horizon Zero Dawn to be in first person because Guerilla Games only made first person shooters in the past.