• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Metal Gear Solid V

The huge V on the boxart. Looking back in hindsight it was a clear hint for Venom Snake. It was right in front of us the whole time and nobody thought anything of it.
PsufKuJ.jpg

Probably late to the party on this one, but now I'm looking back at the controversy surrounding Kiefer Sutherland ending up as Venom Snake over David Hayter, and am now wondering if that was also another hint just like what's being discussed with Persona 5 in this thread. Solid is a clone of Big Boss so them having the same VA makes sense, but Venom is merely changed to be Big Bosses doppelganger, meaning changing his voice to sound exactly like Big Boss would be much more difficult. It also plays nicely with the whole vocal cord parasite plot point imo.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every villain in the main series Pokémon game.

No he isn't, he's just drunk as is Mario...at least that's what my head story is when I played Mario 64.
No, Mario is high on shrooms.

Just think about it:
- Jumping in paintings, thinking it will lead to other worlds
- Talking to purple Bomb-ombs
- Flying along rainbows with a winged cap
- Chasing rabbits in the hallways of the castle
- Thinking a slide appears when he stares at the ceiling long enough
- Thinking the stairs never end

Super Mario Sunshine is basically Mario in rehab but he still sees things (Shadow Mario).
At the end of Super Mario Galaxy the trip ends with a bang until Yoshi convinces him to go down the wrong path again.

In Super Mario 3D World they're all high af, thinking they're cats.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Twilight Princess

the part where it is written Zelda... of course Ganon is the villain =P

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Shepherd is overseeing your training at the very beginning of the game, and when that character dies he mentions that he's got a "blank check", which was pretty much his whole goal

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy VI:

Kefka shows up really, really briefly during the opening text. Like blink and you'll miss him.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Probably late to the party on this one, but now I'm looking back at the controversy surrounding Kiefer Sutherland ending up as Venom Snake over David Hayter, and am now wondering if that was also another hint just like what's being discussed with Persona 5 in this thread. Solid is a clone of Big Boss so them having the same VA makes sense, but Venom is merely changed to be Big Bosses doppelganger, meaning changing his voice to sound exactly like Big Boss would be much more difficult. It also plays nicely with the whole vocal cord parasite plot point imo.

This almost ends up working, except the switch to Kiefer happened in Ground Zeroes, when it should have still been Big Boss. If the switch had actually been done at the right time on purpose, it would been a fantastic twist, but it really does seem like it was just because Kojima wanted a name actor.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Twilight Princess

the part where it is written Zelda... of course Ganon is the villain =P

Now I'm imagining a Legend of Zelda game where it's eventually reveled Zelda is the villain and our pursuit of Ganon is reason Hyrule is dying...

Or they could go a step further and imply that the reason Ganon always comes back is because the players of the game always seek to have a new adventure in this land, making the fans desire to keep playing Zelda games the real enemy of Hyrule...

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

LOL

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
This almost ends up working, except the switch to Kiefer happened in Ground Zeroes, when it should have still been Big Boss. If the switch had actually been done at the right time on purpose, it would been a fantastic twist, but it really does seem like it was just because Kojima wanted a name actor.

Damn, your right. Forgot Kiefer was the VA in Ground Zeros and not just V.

Salmone_D_Oro

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Saints Row 2

You fight all the gangs during the game but the real villain is Dane Vogel who is shown multiple times early .

GTA San Andreas

Frank Tempenny . He looks like the type of guy who will die soon but he is the main antagonist

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Tales of Vesperia, to an extent

The game's final boss can be met multiple times as part of a sidequest that spans most of the first half of the game where conversations with him hint at his motives throughout the story. The sidequest can be initiated literally minutes after leaving the first town in the game.

There's a minor case in The World Ends With You as well:

Joshua makes a blink and you'll miss it appearance at the very start of the game in a single scene, and most players will completely miss it the first time through. The reason for him even being there isn't explained until his involvement in the grand scheme of things is revealed near the end of the game.

Keratay

Nov 17, 2017

Unless GZ is just the implanted memories of Venom Snake! :p

The VA trick blew my mind. I was so distracted by the swap that I didn't realize and was blown away when the real one showed up.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Undertale
Flowey is shown at the start and you're given the impression he is just a generic monster and is killed. But ends up being the end boss. Bonus points for them dropping references to him throughout the whole game too.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Just want to say thanks to everyone who came into the thread and gave examples, I'm actually looking into this trope throughout video games as research for a project of my own, and it will be interesting to visit each of these I haven't experienced yet and see how they compare, when it's done just right or done too obviously (as in the pokemon examples lol), etc.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XV

latest

Kingslaive sort of strongly/outright suggests that they are bad/pulling the strings though, so the reveal isn't surprising.
The more surprising thing is how little screen time

the old guy who was sort of the main villain but had no impact on the story whatsoever

had.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
My other vote is for Danganronpa V3

HEAVY SPOILERS BELOW

In the first trial, they talk at length about how Tsumugi doesn't have an alibi because she was in the bathroom at the time of the murder, but then the class proves that it couldn't have been her, regardless. Flash forward to the last trial...come to find out there's a secret passage hidden in that very same bathroom that leads directly to the crime scene. Tsumugi was able to use the passage, kill the victim, and make it back in time for no one to suspect anything.

Clicked on the thread to say this too. I really loved that game. It's a shame I've heard so little talk about it in actual top ten lists from 2017.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 7
E-001.png
This photo is found very early in the game, hinting at Eveline's true form.

Samikaze!!

Oct 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
Spec Ops: The Line?

Edit: now that I think of it, not really

Spec ops gives it away pretty early on, albeit in ways you don't notice the first time, depending on who you see as the villain.
In my eyes Walker is the true antagonist.

The first scene opens with: "We have our orders. Reach the city, radio command from outside the stormwall. They send in the cavalry. We go home."
5 minutes later he was defying those orders and setting the wheel in motion.

"None of this would have happened if you had just stopped." - "Konrad" to Walker.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
This is not exactly a villain in the traditional, grandiose sense, but Other M, paragon of storytelling that it is, telegraphed that the dweeby scientist in the beginning of the game was a bad man the moment he adjusted his glasses -- and it got all shiny.

Gendo_Ikari_by_Darthval.jpg

Classic anime trope.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles does this very thing amazingly.

Shulk's own internal fight, from the beginning of game, was really a fight for control against the final boss. Not only that, but the final boss is literally the first thing you see in the game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kingslaive sort of strongly/outright suggests that they are bad/pulling the strings though, so the reveal isn't surprising.
The more surprising thing is how little screen time

the old guy who was sort of the main villain but had no impact on the story whatsoever

had.
Yeaaaaah, I don't think we can count FFXV as a 'hint'. From the moment you see him, you're just waiting for the characters to catch up to you for like 10 hours.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the-evil-within-img-4.jpg

This picture used in promo material isn't just a cool visual, it's what is physically remaining of the main antagonist Ruvik's real body

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
gaunter o'dimm
being one of the first npc's you meet in the Witcher 3 was an incredible move. I didn't read anything and immediately after finishing both dlc's started a new game with my girlfriend and it knocked me for six.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first time you meet Junko, Naegi notices that she looks different from the magazines.

TuturuJones

Oct 30, 2017
With almost all of Bandai-Namco's "Tales of" games Opening Animations, you can easily pick out who will be the final villain. (at least for the ones I've played; Abyss, Vesperia, Zestiria, Berseria)

The only one that I'm aware of where that wasn't the case was Tales of Symphonia (the original, not the so-called "sequel")

Vesperia was so blatant about it.

Long white hair? Check
Brooding over the horizon? Check
Little monologue when meeting? Check

It was textbook stuff, I saw him and yeah, that's the main villain. Wasn't he also eating an apple or something? I feel like apples are big on JRPGs villains.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Blood Omen:

The character Mortanius is the villain (for all intents and purposes... his body is possessed by the villain when it counts).

You can pick out his silhouette and skeletal hand during the pivotal murder in the opening cutscene. It becomes completely obvious once you know to look for him.

latest

latest

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's been a really long time since I played it, and I only did once, but I am pretty sure it was telegraphed in Heavy Rain.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Early on in Prey 2017, you're put through some tests.

The purpose of these tests is to see Morgan demonstrate his Typhon powers. The scientists expected them to have those abilities naturally, as a result of neuromod research. That's why they're flabbergasted (and even annoyed) when they don't. Of course, that's not the reveal. The reveal is that "Morgan" is actually a Typhon-Human hybrid created by Alex. Whether you choose to see the opening sequence as a deliberate tease to this reveal or not, it's entirely up to you. More blatantly would be the cutscene you see when you first use a Typhon neuromod: the simulation you're under overloads briefly to show the Operator AIs and Alex presuming over the hybrid for a few moments before returning to regular gameplay.

In a way, there isn't really a "true villain", unless you see yourself as such. That's assuming, of course, that you didn't opt to stab Alex through the chest when you return to reality. No matter what, the reveal that you yourself are among the alien species that has taken over the Earth is a shocking one.