• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the primary reason I refuse to play the game. Everyone looks like the infected from the Last of Us. No, I don't want to play as a spore person. They just look awful.
10928.jpg

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I have to go with Child of Light. It was trying way way too hard to be artistic and the result was just downright ugly. I'm not really an expert when it comes to artistic design (did take a 101 class on it college) but there's just so much clashing here. From the color palette, to the strange design decisions (ex the weird character portraits) , to many of the assets seemingly clashing with each other the only common element seems to be "water color" but even that is completely broken by the obviously 3D main character. It's the only game I have ever skipped because I could not stomach the look of it.
750034-child-of-light-windows-screenshot-pastoral-village.png

kfwqw.jpg

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
UNLOVED-Torrent-Download.jpg

Unloved is a dimly lit mess, with weird glowy red shit hovering around items. It's one big eyesore that I uninstalled after my first time playing it.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
Anyone not saying recent mobile Square Enix ports is wrong. I mean, seriously. They destroyed Final Famtasy Tactics. Don't fuck with Matsuno's menus, Square!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I have to go with Child of Light. It was trying way way too hard to be artistic and the result was just downright ugly. I'm not really an expert when it comes to artistic design (did take a 101 class on it college) but there's just so much clashing here. From the color palette, to the strange design decisions (ex the weird character portraits) , to many of the assets seemingly clashing with each other the only common element seems to be "water color" but even that is completely broken by the obviously 3D main character. It's the only game I have ever skipped because I could not stomach the look of it.

kfwqw.jpg

never played the game ,but I love the look of that, lol.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Some terrible hot takes in this thread. Steamworld Heist ... Child of Light ...

i mean, you don't have to love the design of those games, but anywhere close to being "bottom tier", hell naw!

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, although I love the game dearly, I have to give a shout out to Little Big Adventure.
maxresdefault.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

kfwqw.jpg
Say what you will about the character portrays but that first screenshot does a huge disservice to your argument. They nailed the children's book vibe so well.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be deeply controversial for a moment and say part of the latest God of War. Just reached the lake and it's all a bit jarring, the background colours and landscape, the design and colouring of the 'temple' thing and the not very good water effects all conspire to make it a surprisingly ugly area. Considering how beautiful the game is initially I'm a little disappointed it feels so disjointed visually here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The art design was not its strong suit. It was sharp and clean and all that, but we're just talking about design/aesthetic.

maxresdefault.jpg

2-1024_6056.jpg

It's not the prettiest game in the world sure, but hardly one of the worst offenders, specially if you take into consideration when it released. Would even call the stylized graphics "pleasing" when you're waltzing around. Game is only 'ugly' during cutscenes

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the prettiest game in the world sure, but hardly one of the worst offenders, specially if you take into consideration when it released. Would even call the stylized graphics "pleasing" when you're waltzing around. Game is only 'ugly' during cutscenes
Not sure I agree, but I'll just let those screenshots speak for themselves. But again, they're very good games, so I understand the apologism.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
shinobi.jpg

The greatest ninja franchise of all time, Shinobi deserved better then this hideous shit. Sega created the most bitchin' ninja possible, and gave him the shittiest environments ever to run around in.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
First crackdown is a strong contender for worst UI in games though
Shit looks like it was made on Excel

Not sure I agree, but I'll just let those screenshots speak for themselves. But again, they're very good games, so I understand the apologism.

I think you're expecting way, way too much from 1997 but lets agree to disagree, the screenshots surely speak for themselves.

Newman

Oct 28, 2017
This should be called "Post Bungie Halo the thread"

Halo's visual identity took a nose dive once Bungie left.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal Tournament 3 was technically great, but the art direction deliberately made everything look super greasy and grimy.

Mighty No. 9 probably would have looked way better with better art direction. I have no idea what happened to that game.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the look of the new Donkey Kong games, Rare's version were much more pleasing to the eyes.

Donkey-Kong-Country-SNES1.jpg

388574-3DS22.jpg');

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't like the design of MKX's characters. They all look the same to me. The all seem to share the same desaturated colours. Brown, green and little bit of blue. I can't barely recognize them in the character screen thumbnails as well.

uLtwGLo.png

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Bravely Default.

Many used chibi and miniature model characters because of the limitations. But this game is different. Its a game all about chibi/miniature design instead, even the art.