• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
e4Fv9lSuUr38f3cHtZm4sUksQgZICpl6AIG9ldXxmTcEzcR05sXXw3jRAGGlgUBeb_Mj9nllQkmL6yp3Jx6sPlFmbUXw0_5HeGZIcsCXvbZUo8KN1knQPYZEHPHy4ZkiKNnOmBPT

and this

SteamWorldHeist_02.png

Um, Dragons Crown art style is freaking gorgeous. Not a fan of the female design, but other than that it's amazing. Steamworld Heist also looks solid. It doesn't deserve to be here in this thread.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
This thing
maxresdefault.jpg

and this

e4Fv9lSuUr38f3cHtZm4sUksQgZICpl6AIG9ldXxmTcEzcR05sXXw3jRAGGlgUBeb_Mj9nllQkmL6yp3Jx6sPlFmbUXw0_5HeGZIcsCXvbZUo8KN1knQPYZEHPHy4ZkiKNnOmBPT

and this

SteamWorldHeist_02.png

The first picture yes, the second one seems okay to me, the third picture... actually looks pretty good ? Nice details and lighting effects, I like the mood and style. What game is it ?

I mean, we're talking about games with WORST designs here, not just artstyles you don't particularly enjoy.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Darksiders games look ugly as sin artistically. Both of them, but especially the second one.

Yep. Art design in those games just screams 90's image comics edginess

Also Nier Automata looks like butt cheeks. Sums up the game. But has nice UI

Playstation Battle whatever has the worst looking UI though.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit not knowing the difference. Can you explain?
Art style is just that, the game's art style. Art direction on the other hand is how an art style comes together to create a cohesive look to evoke a certain mood, feeling, artistic choice, etc. A lot of the choices in this thread are essentially "I don't like the game's art style", which fair enough, but that doesn't mean the art direction is bad.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is kinda confusing. The title mentioning 'graphic design' specifically makes me think of menu and UI design, but OP is really asking for art direction (which most posts are about, but still confusing use of words).

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
The first picture yes, the second one seems okay to me, the third picture... actually looks pretty good ? Nice details and lighting effects, I like the mood and style. What game is it ?

I mean, we're talking about games with WORST designs here, not just artstyles you don't particularly enjoy.
The third is Steamworld Heist! I love the art in that and Steamworld Dig 2.

Grailly

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Art style is just that, the game's art style. Art direction on the other hand is how an art style comes together to create a cohesive look to evoke a certain mood, feeling, artistic choice, etc. A lot of the choices in this thread are essentially "I don't like the game's art style", which fair enough, but that doesn't mean the art direction is bad.

Art direction would be the consistency at which a game can respect it's art style, then?

To be fair, in the OP, all these terms are used interchangeably and I think that's what the discussion is about. "What games are ugly despite being technically alright?".

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i always thought rare's DKC games were butt ugly
also hate the look of abe's odyssey and its sequel. generally pre-rendered games don't look good to me

oh you will change your tune pretty quickly five minutes in

if you can hold your vomit for that long, that is
i'm not super serious but the art style is kinda like something an artsy indie game can get away with these days

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Literally anything Rare made between 1994 and 2005. There were a lot of games with really bad CG characters toward the beginning of that run, but how we let them get away with some Tekken 1-ass art by the time they were making late-gen Xbox games is beyond me.
ghoulsc-3.png

I mean come the fuck on.

Also, Nintendo STILL hasn't meaningfully redesigned Donkey Kong from that terribleness. They gave him a fur shader and went "It's fine." Ponderous.

You could not be more wrong in this opinion. Get out.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Most recently, Agony comes to mind. You can play that game in 4k 120FPS but it will not look good because the art direction is so messy, disjointed and in-cohesive. Not to mention that the art direction fails in its fundamental goal, which was to create a terrifying atmosphere.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

To me it looks like a flash game from the early 2000's . I really don't like the design and the look.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo Mirage Sessions looks disgusting compared to Persona 5. It's like Target vs Gucci.

latest

2017_04_18_25277_1492479753._large.jpg

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Nor Graphic Design.

I've never played WoW so it might not be the regular UI but this is my pick

ygpm1wK.jpg

The fonts, the colors, the UI ...

This is doesn't show how wow actually looks lol. Maybe in vanilla, but this guys UI is cluttered as shit. heres a better indication of how it looks these days (with only minor ui changes)

iy4R8DI.jpg

Wows artstyle and direction is actually amazing considering how old the engine is they're working on

and one in combat

pbfxgIm.jpg

May 5, 2018
Jet Force Gemini:
large.jpg

WHAT WRONG WITH THEIR EYES!
Right this is for in game graphics. I'll stick with JFG because its hard to be mean to an N64 game, but the artstyle wasn't my cup of tea either:
Jet%20Force%20Gemini%20(U)%20(Kiosk%20Demo).png

Something more modern...Knack:
knack-screen-17-eu-20mar14

At first I was excited for Knack thinking "Yes! They're making a chipper looking game that's similar in spirit to Ape Escape right?" NOPE. Knack honestly has a generic fantasy/kid-friendly aesthetic and the designs don't look good.

Last edited: