• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4 Golden. Random dungeons started to really bore me. The story was neat, but I did also start losing interest in the small town aspect of it. P5 is much better so far in both regards, but I do fear it dragging on as others say. I'm at the 3rd dungeon...

Sadly, P5 just gets worse as it goes. If you burned out on 4, you'll probably burn out even harder on 5.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Transistor, woooh boy that game was dog ####. Story was so abstract that I could hardly follow it and that made caring about the characters impossible. I cant name a single character besides Red. The combat was also pretty meh, but the soundtrack was really good. I especially loved "we all become."

Wanted to love it, absolutely hated it.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Prey

GOTY, but then [right at the point where I thought it would end] it adds another chapter with extremely annoying enemies. It soured me on the entire experience.

Hammee

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Trails in The Sky
because I hate boss fights that are bullshit just to be bullshit

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Secret of mana
Dragon quest V
Paladin's quest

All on snes

I did drop earthbound as well but did a playthrough few years later and finished it

I will get to the above in the future

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
FF XV, but not out of anger or frustration. I was under-leveled and under-stocked for the final boss fight and I had already passed the point of no return. Tried the boss once, got demolished and youtubed the ending.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Title is self explanatory, but also give us a why

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - story and characters were an absolute mess. every battle becoming the same thing and you reach a point where only one 'strategy' is really viable. I am in chapter 9 I think and I havent touched the game in over a month and a half, dont know if Ill ever go back.
Really? That's where I thought the story was getting really good. lol Like towards the end, I was getting so excited. Did you like the original Xenoblade's story or nah? Just curious mostly.

As for myself... I tend to push through and finish games if I'm getting close. I almost didn't finish Mass Effect Andromeda though. Really had to push myself there lol

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
FFXII, DQVIII, recent playthrough of FFVI that I haven't gone back to.

Almost always has to do with some new thing coming out and I say to myself I'll get back and finish it, then weeks become months become years...

Also FFXII. I have started the game twice (first when it released and second after pc release) and both times I quit when I got to that imperial city.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Rogue Galaxy- took 2 or 3 runs at the final boss- long grueling exhausting fight, each time probably got him 90% of the way dead before the fight taking a sudden bad turn and got suddenly murked.

At this point said "fuck it" and youtubed the ending.

Nov 4, 2017
There's really only two that stick out in my mind:

Skies of Arcadia: Legends - Right near the end, there was a series of three consecutive ship battles with no save opportunity between them. I kept losing on the third one. Wasn't willing to go through 30 minutes of fighting to learn the final, challenging one.

ZombiU - End game fetch quest. Nuff said.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime.

I could not jump up that damn spiral platform at the end of the game with the damn Little Metroids knocking me off into the lava.

I tried every single thing I could thin of - speed rushing/jumping, shooting, dodging... could never do it.

I beat every single creature in that game I faced. But I couldn't jump up the damn platform, so I never finished the game.

EDIT:

1. Metroid Prime - trilogy version, in the large cavern on the way to the final boss is a bunch of platforming and metroids. well these metroids kept hitting me off the platform and I just gave up cuz it annoyed me.

wbu

^ THAT!!!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I didn't even read your OP before I posted.

Was there some secret trick to that? Or was it just dumb luck to get up the platforms?

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Do it a lot with JRPGs, or at least I did back when I played them. I usually get burnt out and impatient towards the end of the game and drop them somewhere in the final act. Seems like a pretty common trend just judging by this thread so far.

Specific example off the top of my head is Lost Odyssey. I remember sometime late in the game there was an encounter, I don't remember specific details of it now since it was years and years ago but it was like on water, and some coastal towns were being attacked by invading mechs or monsters or something? And you had to maneuver a boat or something around and intercept them. I tried this encounter twice and couldn't beat it and the game had sucked so bad that I just lost all patience for it. And this was at a time when I cared a lot about achievements so I HATED the idea of giving up on games without finishing them and I still couldn't bring myself to beating it.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the camp that powered through FFXIII being told it got good once it opened up. I heard something about side quests in that area but I just went exploring immediately and got a little lost and just gave up. I had stopped caring hours ago but really wanted to see if what others said was true.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Really? That's where I thought the story was getting really good. lol Like towards the end, I was getting so excited. Did you like the original Xenoblade's story or nah? Just curious mostly.

As for myself... I tend to push through and finish games if I'm getting close. I almost didn't finish Mass Effect Andromeda though. Really had to push myself there lol

I did enjoy XC1s story and characters a lot more. however its been such a long time idk if Id feel the same about it.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Metroid Prime - trilogy version, in the large cavern on the way to the final boss is a bunch of platforming and metroids. well these metroids kept hitting me off the platform and I just gave up cuz it annoyed me.

Metroid Prime.

I could not jump up that damn spiral platform at the end of the game with the damn Little Metroids knocking me off into the lava.

I tried every single thing I could thin of - speed rushing/jumping, shooting, dodging... could never do it.

I beat every single creature in that game I faced. But I couldn't jump up the damn platform, so I never finished the game.

Tip: Just try to climb as quickly as you can, ignoring the Metroids unless they get close. When they're nearby, stop, go into Morph Ball, and drop a Power Bomb. Instant Metroid death.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Etrian Odyssey IV - Got to the final boss, took forever to get through the first phase, and then there was some bullshit secondary/tertiary forms or whatever. I hate dropping a game at the end, but I just couldn't work up the energy to slog through that encounter again.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Assassins Creed Origins. I was more into exploring Egypt than actually doing quests or following the main story. Once I explored the whole place I lost interest in the game.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Final Fantasy VI. World of Ruin was a total slog and my resentment of the combat system only increased as the game went on. I just YT'd the last dungeon. No regrets.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Metroid Prime.

EDIT:

1. Metroid Prime - trilogy version, in the large cavern on the way to the final boss is a bunch of platforming and metroids. well these metroids kept hitting me off the platform and I just gave up cuz it annoyed me.

wbu

^ THAT!!!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I didn't even read your OP before I posted.

Was there some secret trick to that? Or was it just dumb luck to get up the platforms?

We are twins

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Twilight Princess. Got to Hyrule Castle (final dungeon), turned the game off, and never picked it back up. I found it pretty disappointing.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Sonic Mania: I still think it's a great game but the static spheres in particular drove me crazy. Sometimes I'd get so stuck on them I'd die due to the time limit.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently in danger of happening with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I like the game, but the last few chapters have turned into a cutscene slog and I ran out of steam.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
FFX
I was right at the final boss, but he slaughtered me because apparently i am underleveled , the thing is: the leveling system in this game is terrible , you don't know what "level" you are but instead looking at some sphere, it was not clear to me if i am strong enough or not as i acquired all unique skills for all characters, and if i am underleveld, the game shouldn't let me go to the final boss in the first place.
Maybe I am gonna finish it one of those days but man, this leveling system is terrible, don't have an idea if they fixed in the international release/remaster or not

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I nearly did this with TMS #FE at the final boss.

I made it through the game fine, completed each character's side quests, and for some reason, I was under-leveled for the final boss. It had a weakness to ice, and surprise, my two ice characters were 10 levels below mine. Instead of grinding, I just decided to drop the difficulty down to the easiest one and finish the game like that. Apparently I finished the game in 35 hours when it should've been more like 45 hours, so I guess I just had a really good main team, which resulted in neglecting other party members.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Folklore i stopped literally at the final boss. I think he kicked my ass and then life just got in the way of finishing it.
Huge regret considering how great the game is and how I no longer have a working dualshock 3 :(

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
I remember my teacher being so frustrated by resistance 2,he stopped playing at the last level. He told me it was the dumbest thing ever, after beating the game, I agree, they jumped gun.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I have no idea how so many people can play a game and love the hell out of it (Xenoblade 2) and yet some people like OP seriously dislike it to the point of calling it a mess. I know opinions and such but man, such divisive opinions.
Anywho.

I've played about 5 or 6 FF games, I've never finished the final boss of a FF game. I find the difficulty ramp up and the 100 forms just frustrating.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey.

Made it to the final dungeon but it was just too much. I put it down and never ended up picking it up again.

CRiSC0

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter World.

I got to and defeated Nergigante. Farmed him a bit to get the nerg longsword and his armor. At this point my friends quit playing because they were not very good at the game and struggled to down Nergigante once and they just lost interest. I couldn't really bring myself to go hunt down all the tracks for the other Elder Dragons solo or in pugs so I could finish the game, so I just quit playing. Haven't touched the game in a few weeks now. May go back and finish it eventually. May not.

Oct 27, 2017
There's really only two that stick out in my mind:

Skies of Arcadia: Legends - Right near the end, there was a series of three consecutive ship battles with no save opportunity between them. I kept losing on the third one. Wasn't willing to go through 30 minutes of fighting to learn the final, challenging one.

ZombiU - End game fetch quest. Nuff said.

SoA was something I was close to quitting, the amount of work you need to put in to make sure your prepared coupled in with the luck factor made this hard to beat.

I nearly did this with TMS #FE at the final boss.

I made it through the game fine, completed each character's side quests, and for some reason, I was under-leveled for the final boss. It had a weakness to ice, and surprise, my two ice characters were 10 levels below mine. Instead of grinding, I just decided to drop the difficulty down to the easiest one and finish the game like that. Apparently I finished the game in 35 hours when it should've been more like 45 hours, so I guess I just had a really good main team, which resulted in neglecting other party members.

I wouldn't even say that, beat the game in 60 hours, had the EXP dungeon DLC, final boss took me an hour to beat and also took me three attempts. It was bad.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Killzone 3. The story was so stupid and presented in a cringy way, that I just dropped it near the end.

Thumper. I can't beat the final boss. I got perfect runs in most of the stages but the final boss seems impossible.

Dark Souls Platinum. This hurts the most. I completed this game several times on different platforms and in the end I only needed to beat like 3 bosses to platinum the game but I dropped it and sold the PS3 without backing the save. At least the remaster will be released soon.

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles - There's a boss near the end that kept beating me so I got frustrated and quit.
Star Ocean Second Evolution - same as above

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Skyrim - Still have not beat it. Always restart with fresh mods.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Just got bored with it.

Assassins Creed Origins - Hoping to finish it soon.

Mass Effect 2 - Did not like the changes from 1 and become bored with it.

Zelda: BotW - Going to knock it out soon on the WiiU, so I can box it up. Only need to finish the Gerudo Divine Beast and kill Ganon.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Landstalker - Mega Drive / Genesis

I made it to the final dungeon but somehow never managed to beat it (IIRC I was missing the boots to walk over ice spikes). Haunts me till this day...

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
I've 100%'d every stage of Super Mario 3D World. But I can't fucking beat Champion's Fucking Road. I don't have the patience to sit down and die for 3 hours to get it, so it sits in the back of my mind tormenting me forever.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Bowser's Inside Story

I could never do the fucking button mash in the final boss battle to continue the fight. It got to the point that I could do the first part near flawlessly but I just can't mash to save my life.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Crysis 3.
Simply lost all enthusiasm for the game by the end and the last sections seemed interminable and bland. Left the game on the end fight and never really cared. It might deserve another try some time.
Great looking game though.

At least the decision to not finish the game was intentional and not due to the Alpha Ceph bug which wouldn't let the game finish you. :(

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Burning out due to time, or grinding, or something like that, I get. But for those who quit a game just because they couldn't beat the last level???

latest

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I reached the end of Remember Me and gave up because of those dumbass button timing bullsh1t

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
Sword of Vermillion on the MegaDrive/Genesis.

It's been like 25 years, so forgive me if my memory's a bit hazy, but I basically remember it like this. I got a key somewhere fairly early in the game that didn't seem to have a use. I thought it was for a side quest or something. Turns out it was the key to the final dungeon and I'd dropped it somewhere along the way when inventory space became tight. Now, you could pick up items you've dropped, but there's no visual indicator of where you've dropped them, and I didn't feel like backtracking and searching every square in the game until I found it...