Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
This weekend I beat Dark Souls II on the Steam Deck and enabled the options to start NG+. I only need 4 achievements to 100% it, related to get all spells, miracles, hexes and pyromancies, so I'll play the DLCs now to get some the spells that I need before starting NG+. Still a great game!

Early this year I've beaten and completed that wizard game that must not be named and God of War (2018).

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
4. Lost in Random (XSX-Gamepass)-it was alright. Liked the Tim Burton-ish setting and characters and story was ok. Didn't like the combat much at all, put it on easy around halfway through to speed that up, and ending was very short and meh. But fun enough for a shorter Gamepass game as I burn time until Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth next week.

FullWalter

Mar 13, 2018
Like A Dragon Gaiden - 7/10. I enjoyed the agent fight style and there were some great new characters, especially the villains. The shorter play time has its own obvious advantages, but I also found myself less compelled to do side quests and mini games for some reason. The shorter run time left me feeling a little less invested in the world and so less likely to slow down and take in anything outside of the MSQ.

Blasphemous 2 - 8/10. I never played the original, it I was immediately pulled in by the setting and intriguing visuals. Solid metroidvania. If it weren't for an insane late game difficulty spike this would be an easy 9/10. Either way, this would have made my top 10 of 2023.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - 7/10. This game has a lot of the fundamentals of game design and movement down Pat. I started the game in release day and finished it within 6 days; I was immediately compelled to keep playing. The further into it I got though, the more some annoying quirks hampered my enjoyment. Multi phased bosses with high damage attacks that play out obnoxiously long cut scenes… ugh. It turned what should have been a fun and rewarding boss fight into frustration. Playing this on a dual sense with its long L2 and R2 throw made parrying frustratingly inconsistent as well. And boy… I did not care about the story or characters whatsoever. For a genre that has backtracking built in as part of its game design, the areas and setting were detrimentally boring visually. Still though, the game felt mostly great to move around in and there's a solid bedrock of game design outside of the boss fights.

Ultros - 6/10. My feelings on this game jumped all over the place throughout my playthrough. After the technically pristine, but artistically sterile experience of Prince of Persia, the overwhelming sights and sounds of Ultros made me feel like it had everything that PoP lacked. And for the first half of the game I happily dealt with the clunky execution of a lot of Ultros' ideas because it was giving me such a unique and intriguing world to explore - in my opinion, one of the most important aspects of any game, especially a Metroidvania. I also appreciated the wealth of ideas that continued to show up from section to section of the game. But by the back half of my playthrough a lot of those ideas were just too cumbersome to excuse and a lot of the unique ideas that I trusted would be expanded upon over the game's runtime just felt under developed and poorly explained. I admire this game's heart, it really is a unique take on its genre, but some of its own best attributes get in its own way (after hours and hours I still struggled to differentiate the different seeds and plants from each other in their super busy art style) and some of the later mechanics and abilities were actively frustrating to use on their simplist terms. Still, a lot of unique ideas and imagery here and I don't regret playing through it. Oh, and fantastic music. I could see this being considered a cult classic with certain people and I wish I was one of them.

OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK

Finally, it's done.

200 hours faster than the first time too 😅

Here's my completions and progress so far in 2024.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
I've put like 150+ hours into Monster Hunter World and it's Iceborne expansion so far this year. All I have left to do at this point is solo kill Fatalis and Alatreon. I kinda feel like I've beat this game at this point, and hot damn what a game it is. Sad I missed out on so much monster hunter over the years/decades.

OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Nov 30, 2020
So far..

South park fractured but whole
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
The procession to Calvary
Lego Indiana Jones 1 100%
Epic Mickey 2

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Kirby and the Forgotten Land and I loved it. After skipping recent Kirby games, this one made me a fan again.

The human world setting was a great idea for the first 3D game because they could add a lot of visual detail to the environments and make exploring them exciting. I'm really curious how they top this for the next 3D game.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
Beat:

• The Messenger. Loved it; got all the in-game unlockables. Will come back for the DLC levels later when I'm jonesing for a fix.

• Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1 & 2. I was getting a little annoyed by the end with having to replay the whole game to further progress the story, but if they could further build upon the mechanics (after two games it's okay to move on from Castlevania jump physics), I would prefer this type of platformer over another Ritual of the Night.

OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
If you liked the first game, this is more of it. Functionally near identical, but with expanded cast.

I liked it, good vibes.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Nobody Saves the World - a lot of fun and ended up getting the platinum trophy.

Also finished Deaths Door - fantastic game. Didn't check the trophy list before I started and missed out on the umbrella run - did 100% it though. Would definitely recommend it.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Cyberpunk 2077 & Phantom Liberty - 9.5 / 10

It took 80 hours. CDPR proved that they are still best of the industry.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Donkey Kong (1994, Game Boy)

I had always known this was considered one of the best original Game Boy games, but I had always wondered how it could stand shoulder to shoulder with games like Link's Awakening and Pokémon Red/Blue, even as an expanded version of the 1981 arcade game.

I started the game with my expectations quite low, but really the game blew me away with how clever it was, how inventive it's puzzles are, how much fun the game is as a platformer, and by how it keeps adding new mechanics, levels and assets into each new world.

The game never stops surprising as you go through it's 100 levels. Many of them single screen (or just larger than single screen) puzzle challenges. Mario's moveset is almost a proto Mario 64 moveset. You can backflip, hand stand and triple jump, a full 2 years before Mario 64 came out.

Really this game should be called Donkey Kong 2. It's underselling it to call it just 'Donkey Kong', more so in an era where a lot of arcade/console games would get paired down and limited handheld ports.

It really does feel like a pocket epic, bursting with ideas. It's well worth playing 30 years after it first came out.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Thought I'd be able to play a lot more games than I have currently. I finished two games last month and thought I was off to a good start, but got stuck in another game this month and haven't really felt like playing anything (else either) for a while. Might try to play some shorter arcade games or something just to get the numbers up lol.

Manjaster

Aug 23, 2018
Just finished Gran Turismo 7 (there are still some cafe menus) and platinum Astro Playroom, very easy plat. I bet is the easiest plat on PS5.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Case of the Golden Idol, Return of the Obra Dinn, Pizza Tower, Slay the Princess, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Like a Dragon Gaiden

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Beat both RE2 and RE3 remakes thanks to game pass (and assisted mode since I suck at them lol)
Along with Mario RPG and PM64 from previous month, makes it 4 already. Not bad for my standards lol
Now I got back to Origami king and plan to slowly get back to Mario Wonder too.

OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Was looking for a short game to round out February and this one's rather nice.

Game Pass coming up clutch, tells a powerful story too in its limited runtime.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I beat Elden Ring again, this time with the chaos ending for the plat. Such a good game.

I may keep going with it, maybe make some vids? I have a capture card I haven't really used yet.

I want to play Persona but no feMC means that I won't pay launch price. Maybe something on PS+ will grab my fancy next. I may have already mentioned that I finished Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong. It wasn't very good!

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey yesterday. Loved it. Had a year break between Origins and Odyssey which was smart I think. Really enjoyed the as story about family set to the backdrop of the 2nd Peloponnesian War. I wish there was more lore stuff and I personally miss the modern day stuff too. The Atlantis stuff is super fucking cool too.

I started the year beating Wasteland 3 which was simply amazing. Nothing else to say. What a fun game. And I beat Aliens Dark Descent around the same time. Dark Descent was so fucking stressful but, as a huge Alien fan, was an absolute treat, and that last level was fantastic.

Otherwise Helldivers 2 and Palworld have filled in the gaps between "beatable" games.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on a game finishing spree this year for some reason. It turns out it feels nice to play a game and finish it lmao.

So far I've done:
  1. Sonic Frontiers and its DLC
  2. Super Mario RPG
  3. Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
  4. Another Code Recollection
  5. Crisis Core
And over Christmas I did Sonic Superstars, too.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Annnd another:

5- Resident Evil VIllage + Shadows of Rose: Resident Evil VII was a surprise to me when I played it several years after it released and the same is happening here. The game has beatifull graphics and a myriad of options to play it. I liked the story, it's as B movie cheese as the rest of the Resident Evils and I prefer that tone to the serious/gritty one of RE2/3 Remakes. I was taken aback by how much this game resembles RE4 (haven't played the Remake), and even the game itself drops a couple of jokes about it. Unlike REVII it doesn't have a catchy song like "Go tell aunt..¿Rodie?" but the music and sound design are a step up from a REVII, specially the weapons. I like Ethan and his motivations enough, tho I'm left with a gap with some of the other characters motivations. Played the story twice and unlocked some weapons (and infinite ammo) to fool around, just because of the gameplay feel. Once you get a grip on the timing of the guarding mechanic, the general moveset and the critical shot rythm, it really flows. Also, it has a couple of set pieces that belong more in a Silent Hill game than a Resident Evil and were very well done.

zefrof

Jan 17, 2023
I'm trying to beat 12 games this year. So far I've done Guardians of the Galaxy and Slay the Spire. I consider defeating the 3rd floor boss with one character as beating Slay the Spire, but I'll be playing it more here and there. Very easy to pick up and put down on Deck.

Currently playing through BOTW for the first time. I'm told I'm close to half way through. Thinking I'll play Warhammer 40K Space Marine next.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Another pretty good month. Newest entries in green:

January
  • Pokémon Violet: Mochi Mayhem (NS, 1 hr, 7/10)
  • Pikmin 2 (NS, 28 hrs, 8/10)
  • Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (NS, 3 hrs, 7.5/10)
  • Return of the Obra Dinn (NS, 12 hrs, 8.5/10)
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (NS, 32 hrs, 9.5/10)
February
  • Another Code: Recollection (NS, 15 hrs, 7/10)
  • SOMA (PS4, 15 hrs, 8/10)
  • Paper Mario (NS, 28 hrs, 8.5/10)
  • Portal (NS, 4 hrs, 10/10)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (PS5, 25 hrs, 9/10)

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Completions for the month:

- Ultros
- Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Silent Hill: The Short Letter

PoP was the clear stand out. Excellent Metroidvania with satisfying puzzles and platforming.

Ultros is an interesting experience, but I didn't love the gameplay and felt burnt out by the end.

Revelations has been in my backlog for years, and I'm glad I finally tackled. Fun enough entry in the series even if it has one of the worst dodge mechanics I can remember.

The Short Letter has nice environments? Idk, this wasn't great.

Next up is Tchia, which has been on my PS5 since it launched. With it leaving PS Premium in March, no better time than now to get to it.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
lWpELWJ.png

3. Trails in the Sky: The third Took about roughly 39 hours. I really, really ended up enjoying this one, even though initially I was a bit lukewarm. Most of the game is going through dungeons, and initially I was a bit sad that you dont get to really go through towns and stuff like in the previous games, interacting with random npcs and such, but in the end, with the "door" system, I loved how you saw snippets and backstory on alot of the cast of characters, and gained more insight into their stories and got more interactions. Liked the story of Kevin and his origins, and especially loved the interactions between Tita and Agate, and Tita's mother in particular lol, those were hilarious! Overall, I'm so glad I started this trilogy this year, and it definitely lived up to the hype I was hearing online and from my buddy. Took me forever to finally get started, but was well worth it. Be a while before I start the next games in the Trails series, but after how much I liked these games, I'll 100% get to them at some point.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Another one... so fast?

6- Donut County: Very fun, short game. I ended up laughing a lot at the quirky dialog and characters. I founf the art style a solid choice for the game, even thou I'm not a fan. The gameplay is fun, accesible and a tonne of hidden stuff you can do. Actually, there is more hidden than in plain sight, but after a few levels, most things start to become obvious. Had a lot a fun with it and it didn't outlast it's welcome.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
By system:
3DS - 3
DS - 5
GBA - 1
PS5 - 2 (sort of?)
  1. Pokemon X [3DS] - 15.5 hours - 5.5/10
  2. Elite Beat Agents [(DS game on) 3DS] - 2 hours - 8.5/10
  3. The Sims: Bustin Out [(GBA game on) 3DS] - 9 hours - 10/10
  4. The Urbz: Sims in the City [(DS game on) 3DS] - 12 hours - 11/10
  5. The Sims 2 [(DS game on) 3DS] - 9 hours - 8/10
  6. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity [3DS] - 12 hours - 7/10
  7. Rhythm Heaven [(DS game on) 3DS] - 5 hours - 10/10
  8. Pokemon Conquest [(DS game on) 3DS] - 11 hours - 10/10
  9. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations [3DS] - 12 hours - 10/10
  10. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth + Big Swell [PS5] - 115 hours - GOAT
    Not much for me to say I haven't already said in the other threads - easily my favourite game in a very very long time. Loved every moment of it and can't wait for the next one.

11. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (Legend difficulty) - 25 hours
    Same as above. Legend is just a level increase over the normal difficulty - I didn't notice any new enemies or special tactics in it . Still absolutely great though.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm on a roll!!

7- Stela: I bought this one because what little I saw told me it was a game like Limbo. And I was right, if games like Playdead's output are your style there is a lot to like here. Simple side scrolling with imposing surreal vistas, with few mechanics in between to break apart the levels. Strong and beautiful sound design (with a lot of Vangelis sauce in it). Short, interesting to behold and a real good time. Loved it.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Touhou Luna Nights, and I loved it. I didn't know much about Touhou going in, but I was really in the mood for a metroidvania, and this seemed appealing. I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected. Your character's moveset is pretty simple, but the two core mechanics of slowing time and stopping time were really fun. The boss fights really make you feel like a ninja.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm on a roll!!

7- Stela: I bought this one because what little I saw told me it was a game like Limbo. And I was right, if games like Playdead's output are your style there is a lot to like here. Simple side scrolling with imposing surreal vistas, with few mechanics in between to break apart the levels. Strong and beautiful sound design (with a lot of Vangelis sauce in it). Short, interesting to behold and a real good time. Loved it.
First time hearing of this, I'll check it out!

Tea-Stance

Feb 11, 2024
FFVII Remake (a non-100% playthrough in prep for Rebirth).
Tekken 8 (beating the story, just need 1 more trophy).
Tomb Raider 1 Remastered

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Played and 100% Tchia before it leaves PS Extra this month. Lovely game marred only by the 2 hours I spent looking for a soldier and almost 3 hours looking for a butterfly fish (reef at the island way to the south west if anyone else needs it).

That's 6 so far this year (5 platinums).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
1. Secret of Mana (Remake)
2. Trials of Mana (Remake)

3. Ufouria: The Saga 2. It was ok. Very easy game. I wouldn't go so far as to say it feels unfinished, but it's nothing like the Metroidvania structure of the first game. I'll probably go back to it later to 100% it, but for now I'm done. 6/10.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
7. NEO The World Ends With You
Fun game, but not without a huge host of issues, the main ones being the game feels easily 2 ttimes longer than it needs to be due to atrocious pacing, and the story was really boring which... I don't know how you make such a boring story when dealing with psychic powered teenagers in an afterlife dimension replica of Shibuya in Japan that deals with reapers, angels, and time travel. But they did it. I felt like damn near nothing happened by the end of it. I became endeared to some of the main cast quite a bit over the game though, especially Fret, Nagi, and a couple of the later members. (Spoiler characters) I eventually warmed up to Beat by the end of the game, Shoka was pretty good too! Neku was boring as could be (literally just a big ol nothing burger) and was one of like only two performances in the dub where I was like really, that's the voice we're gonna go with here? The other one was a pretty minor character I think named Uzuki, who looked like a pretty strong and intimidating and outspoken woman who had an entirely too cutesy voice. There were some story sections I thought were surprisingly good. I really expected with all the deaths in the game and the time travel element, they would cop out at the ending and bring everyone back, so was pleasantly surprised that no actually outside of your party those people are dead. I hurt for Fret when Kanon died.

Gameplay was an absolute blast, though again not without issues. But it's just so fun and I got surprised a number of times whether it was the new pins/attacks I got or how big the party gets :o I figured 4 would be the max amount of characters so getting 5 was awesome. THEN I GOT 6 CHARACTERS AND BECAME A GOD OF DEATH. I didn't think it had the greatest depth but there's so many great synergetic pin combinations, finding good strategies and timings of your attacks and even using your clothes to augment your strategies and abilities. I've read online about how difficult the game can get but honestly with the tools I was given I thought the game just kept getting easier and easier while spending most of the game on Hard.

Music was awesome. Gameplay loop was addictive. Characters were fun. Content was stretched to hell and back. Somewhat interested in the first game now but since everyone recommends the DS version over Switch I might just check out the anime or something. Which I hear pretty lukewarm things about so uh shit.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Two for me this weekend:

Super Hang-On (Arcade)

I didn't technically beat it (only the beginner stage) but I made it about 50-70% of the way through the other courses. I played the Wii VC version, with my Wii hooked up to a CRT, though sadly I don't have a replica of the bike from the arcade units.

It's a really fun game. It kind of blows my mind this came out in 1987. It looks fantastic and the scrolling is lighting fast. The four music tracks are great (well, 3 of them are) and I really love the mood and atmosphere of the game.

It's a simple game but it always leaves you feeling like you can do better the next time.

Dead Island 2

This one surprised me. I had no interest in the first game and only gave this a go as it was on Game Pass. I ended up playing the whole thing co-op with a few friends and had a great time.

It's almost feels like an Arkane game at times as the levels are all wide and dense, with lots of ways to get to different areas and with secrets everywhere. The combat (melee especially) feels really weighty. First person melee combat is rarely done well, but it's fantastic here. I also love how the zombies can crawl out of gaps at any time so you need to be constantly aware of your surroundings.

It's more goofy than scary, though it is decadently gory. It's a really polished game with a lot of variety in it's locations too. The story was pretty by the numbers, but it's told really well and the cutscenes are really well directed/acted. Overall a really underrated game.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Assassin's Creed Valhalla

I did enjoy Assassin's Creed Valhalla but feel like it's a step back from the two previous games in the series. I'm from the UK so personally while it was cool seeing so many familiar places, I found Greece and Egypt far more interesting and also visually varied.

In terms of gameplay, this is now a full action RPG where stealth is an afterthought. You can still sneak into an area and take everyone out from the shadows, but combat is so easy now that it's always quicker to just run in head first and kill everyone.

In the previous 2 games (and generally in the series as a whole) if you were being attacked by 5/6 people, it would be time to run. You would be able to plan quick assassinations under a smokescreen and then a fast escape. In Valhalla, you never need to be stealthy, but you also never need to run. Just stand your ground and kill everyone.

This kills the variety in terms of gameplay, as most missions are go to X and kill Y.

The world is beautiful once again, but the UK in the 850s doesn't have a great deal of biome variety. Every region is more or less greenery, gentle rivers, wooden huts and stone churches. If you go north, you get the same but with some snow. Even the DLC, which takes you to Ireland and France, looks more or less the same as England. The variety found in Odyssey and Origins, as well as the fact both those countries are a lot less flat than England, makes them much more visually compelling games.

I also really dislike the fantasy chapters in the Assassin's Creed games (so I skipped the 3rd DLC because it's all fantasy) You do need to complete two fantasy regions in the base game (If you want to see the final post release DLC quest ending anyway) and I find them really jarring. I love these games for the historical settings, so having them make a hard turn into fantasy feels like having a random level in a Call of Duty campaign introduce dragons.

The moment to movement gameplay is still fun, and touring famous locations is still really cool, but the game would be better if it was half as long. It took me about 90 hours to beat, and I think I'd have been just as happy if it was half as long as that.

Pokémon Snap (N64)

I first beat this in the late 90s, my mum rented it over a weekend, but I'd not played it since then, so decided to run through it again over the last few days. I played this on my Wii, hooked up to a CRT, and it's such a charming little game.

I've not really kept up with the modern Pokémon games, but did replay Yellow and Crystal over the last few years, and I have a lot of nostalgia and fondness for the early generations. Pokémon Snap does a really good job of putting you into the natural habitat of Pokémon. I remember as a kid thinking how amazing a mainline game would be set in this world, back when those were still only 8bit games, and even replaying it now it evokes that feeling.

It's a really relaxing little rail shooter, short and sweet, a really fun game to blow through in a few hours.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
So far this year is off to a hot start for me lol… too many games

MH: Rise
Dragons Dogma
Sea of Stars
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Pikmin 4
Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth
FF7 Rebirth

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
- Deadspace Remake
- Stranger of Paradise
- Road 96
- Granblue Fantasy Relink

Working on Persona 3 and Rebirth. Also Baldurs gate 3, but I'm not sure I wanna go back to that.

OP
OP
PJTierney

PJTierney

Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
  • Pretty rare completion this, only about 70 of 36,000 people have done it on Xbox (0.1% of players)
  • Some of the later cars are rather difficult to handle, but doable.
  • Drift mechanics feel odd at the start but quickly become intuitive.
  • Game looks and runs great for what it's trying to do and the size of the dev team.