Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
z2fxx8VpPisBLfyjaYd8d5-650-80.jpg.webp

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth creative director and veteran developer of the original JRPG Tetsuya Nomura has posed a question that's been bugging him for nearly 27 years: why do you all find Sephiroth so attractive?

Nomura starts by saying that Sephiroth is a more prominent presence this time, "much more so than the original title." While Nomura also remarks that he's a character who "really moves the story along in a very immense and impactful way," he stops short there, saying you'll need to play Rebirth to see what that's all about.

"As far as Sephiroth being this extremely popular character, frankly, I'm very curious as to what makes him so attractive to users, because I hear this opinion very often," he says. "His appearance, firstly, I'm sure, but also perhaps there is something about his background that brings about a particular appeal to so many of the players that makes him this iconic character. And so, for Rebirth, I would think that besides Cloud, Sephiroth is also a protagonist that we can think of for this title."

Truly, a mystery.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"And so, for Rebirth, I would think that besides Cloud, Sephiroth is also a protagonist that we can think of for this title."

how

HOW is Sephiroth a protagonist

y'all better not make Genesis come back as an EVEN BIGGER BAD that Cloud and Sephiroth (and Zack, ugh) need to team up to beat

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Why is the hot tall swordsman with gorgeous hair and cool outfit and a mysterious and troubled past so attractive?

I really cannot think of any reason 🤔 🤔

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Calling Sephiroth a protagonist is a big red flag...considering one of the driving elements of the story requires him to not be the villain. Whatever, FF7 exists and this can be the fan fiction it so wants to be as long as it keeps being fun and entertaining.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
He is mysterious until the end and nonchalantly kills a party member. Appearance helps but I feel it's mostly the cryptic aura.

Oct 27, 2017
This is like Gege Akutami (Jujutsu Kaisen mangaka) wondering why people like Gojo when he made him the strongest at everything, best at everything, and most attractive

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
Tall, thin, and has androgynous pretty anime boy aesthetics. Throw in a long sword and a bad boy persona and you got yourself a winner

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
how

y'all better not make Genesis come back as an EVEN BIGGER BAD that Cloud and Sephiroth (and Zack, ugh) need to team up to beat
Assuming this game provides a good chunk of Sephiroth's backstory I think it's easy to see why someone involved in the writing process could see him this way

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Mommy issues personified on top of the anime pretty boy aesthetic. People love the parental issues thing in antags.
how

My anticipation (and hope because it's better than fuckin' Genesis) is that they'll lean more into JENOVA being the biggest baddie of them all or something.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Ask Nomura. He's the one who called him a protagonist.

My anticipation is that they'll lean more into JENOVA being the biggest baddie of them all or something.

I mean the lore has made it abundantly clear that Jenova is very dead and Sephiroth basically puppeteers parts of her corpse to enact his will remotely. Suddenly turning it around and explaining that "actually Jenova was alive and controlling Seph the whole time" would be pretty weird.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Maybe they expand the flashback parts a lot. Sephiroth is playable in them right?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Given what's going on in Ever Crisis... It's gonna happen.

The worst part is that realistically a revived Genesis should be a good guy trying to protect the planet from Sephiroth. Dude has absolutely zero reason to want to blow up the world, he already got what he wanted from Minerva. If anything, he should want to basically be Minerva's "legendary heroic knight" protecting her planet from threats.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ask Nomura. He's the one who called him a protagonist.

I mean the lore has made it abundantly clear that Jenova is very dead and Sephiroth basically puppeteers parts of her corpse to enact his will remotely. Suddenly turning it around and explaining that "actually Jenova was alive and controlling Seph the whole time" would be pretty weird.
I know but still. :(

I hate literally everything to do with Genesis and I will rationalize anything to keep him away. Despite knowing full well that he's back and I'll just have to suck it up.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
To be honest the remake ruined him, he was genuinely cool before, now he's just lame and annoying with his constant obsession with Cloud

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
how

Protagonist is not synonymous with "good guy," to be clear. They're someone whose actions are moving the plot forward while an antagonist is trying to stop them.

I'd not get overly hung up on translated word choice from Nomura.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Designs a bishounen in leather and straps with a complex, unfortunate past, a sultry voice, and tons of bad boy energy.... then asks why people find him attractive. LMAO

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how old the oldest real person with dork ass parents that named them Sephiroth is. There's gotta be Sephiroths in the work force by now. Imagine meeting a new coworker and their name is Sephiroth? I'm sorry, but I'd laugh so fucking hard.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Protagonist is not synonymous with "good guy," to be clear. They're someone whose actions are moving the plot forward while an antagonist is trying to stop them.

I'd not get overly hung up on translated word choice from Nomura.

Yes, I'm aware what a protagonist is. The point is that Sephiroth's goals - literally all of them - are directly counteractive to Cloud and his team's, as well as the entire planet's, which makes him pretty flatly an antagonist.

Like if Nomura's trying to say "he sees himself as the hero of his own story", okay, but Sephiroth very much does not act like that. Genesis did.