PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It could also be Lucretia and it's just that Amano draws everyone (men and women) the same way 🏃‍♀️

Especially considering that very much looks like Setzer and Celes, lol. He's even wearing Setzer's cravat, a neck piece Sephiroth would never, ever wear. Amano really phones it in a lot of the time.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ffvii-ever-crisis-young-sephiroth-art-shared-1.jpeg
Pretty sure that's just Riku from Kingdom Hearts from someone's fanfic setting and someone just slapped Sephiroth's name on there

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth being a hero is a hilarious notion. I can get feeling a little sorry for him due to everything Hojo but that's it. Only thing that made him interesting was the mystery behind him and Jenova, aside from that he is a pos who needs to die lol.

Shaqnificent

Aug 1, 2022
Personally, for me his descent from obedient lapdog of the government to maniacal God complex once he slowly realizes hes been played by everyone around him, plus the separate betrayals of his best friends made him quite an interesting character to me. I definitely am of the opinion that Sephiroth and Cloud's backstories are among the best in the franchise.

He's just a dude whose dad pressed his buttons too hard, minus all the alien DNA lol

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
He looks cool with his long katana and flowing hair, but hardly attractive
Not when there's Barret and Biggs in the game

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
how

HOW is Sephiroth a protagonist

y'all better not make Genesis come back as an EVEN BIGGER BAD that Cloud and Sephiroth (and Zack, ugh) need to team up to beat

I mean it's a translation from Japanese, he probably just said main character equivalent.
Personally, for me his descent from obedient lapdog of the government to maniacal God complex once he slowly realizes hes been played by everyone around him, plus the separate betrayals of his best friends made him quite an interesting character to me. I definitely am of the opinion that Sephiroth and Cloud's backstories are among the best in the franchise.

He's just a dude whose dad pressed his buttons too hard, minus all the alien DNA lol

I actually see Sephiroth as a rather weak person. Cloud and Sephiroth both go through traumatic experiences, but Sephiroth can't accept his birth. He is an abomination, his dad is Hojo, his mother is an alien calamity. He gains a God complex because he can't accept himself as he truly is. Cloud, on the other hand, goes through accepting himself for who he is. Sephiroth just can't. He is the big silent hero who breaks.

The original goes into showing that Sephiroth has lost his mind. I don't know how that will be handled here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
how

HOW is Sephiroth a protagonist

y'all better not make Genesis come back as an EVEN BIGGER BAD that Cloud and Sephiroth (and Zack, ugh) need to team up to beat

I mean by the literal definition of the term (the person in the story trying to accomplish a task), he definitely is. He's trying to summon Meteor to wreck the Planet to become god of the revised planet once the Lifestream revives it. Cloud and Co. (specifically Aerith) are trying to get the white Materia to stop him.

But yes, as said above, the Japanese term for protagonist, shuyaku, is more akin to being the central character of a story rather than the direct definition of protagonist.

(Thank you New Japan Pro-Wrestling, specifically Tetsuya Naito, for helping me understand that.)

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Reading the article, I think there's a bit of a mistranslation here. It isn't what makes him attractive physically, but what makes him attractive as a character as he's the most well-known villain in the franchise and considered one of the greatest ever in gaming. And honestly, I agree with him. Kefka is a far more menacing (and successful!) villain, but because he's not super bishounen and has a massive sword he doesn't get nearly as much attention.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are Square aware that people generally don't like Genesis?

...please don't tell me that people like Genesis

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
By "Sephiroth is protagonist" I'm gonna assume he just means that he gets a lot of the spotlight, just as much as Cloud. Something like that.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Idk I always found Sephiroth to be a fucking loser, never understood his popularity even when I played it as a kid.

I don't even view his story as tragic, dude was basically a pampered super soldier that gets butthurt has a mental breakdown and then tries to end the world. What a fucking loser

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article, I think there's a bit of a mistranslation here. It isn't what makes him attractive physically, but what makes him attractive as a character as he's the most well-known villain in the franchise and considered one of the greatest ever in gaming. And honestly, I agree with him. Kefka is a far more menacing (and successful!) villain, but because he's not super bishounen and has a massive sword he doesn't get nearly as much attention.
Kefka also has the depth of a puddle. It's not like there's a lot more to Sephiroth, either, but "dutiful soldier who lashes out to the world after feeling betrayed" fuels the fanfics better than "evil clown who is evil."

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
It's not that hard to figure out.

Gorgeous face, lovely eyes, pretty hair, great build...

I mean he's the total package. Nomura come on, you designed the guy, you should be able to see all these traits lol.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Nomura might be joking, but i'm pretty sure Gege is legitimately unsure why people like Gojo

Curious, but is that really the case though? Or are people misinterpreting Gege's cheek as him actually hating the character?

Still new to JJK myself and I haven't delved into Gege's interviews in depth to know for sure whether people are misunderstanding the man's comments, or if he is legitimately expressing dislike towards his own character. It's the internet, so I can never know for sure.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Curious, but is that really the case though? Or are people misinterpreting Gege's cheek as him actually hating the character?

Still new to JJK myself and I haven't delved into Gege's interviews in depth to know for sure whether people are misunderstanding the man's comments, or if he is legitimately expressing dislike towards his own character. It's the internet, so I can never know for sure.
Gege legit hates his own character I wont go in any details but he truly does, theres no explanation for some things that happen in JJK later on

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Gege legit hates his own character I wont go in any details but he truly does, theres no explanation for some things that happen in JJK later on

Gojo is extremely popular and quite likeable, so it's hard to imagine a character like that hated by his own creator. I can't fathom as to why.

This is certainly the first I've heard of such an instance. Can I ask what Gege has said about him?

Also, I already know what happens to him unfortunately. Twitter wasn't exactly subtle about it.

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021
"As far as Sephiroth being this extremely popular character, frankly, I'm very curious as to what makes him so attractive to users, because I hear this opinion very often," he says.

(Some) people tend to be enamored with violent male figures in an attempt to deal with their own fraught relationship with patriarchy and genocidal imperialism.

Physical attractiveness and unreflected ideology aside, the reason people "connect" with Sephiroth more than with Kefka is because Sephiroth has a direct and intimate relationship with Cloud. Or more correctly: Cloud has a love-hate, oedipal relationship with Sephiroth wherein Sephiroth is Cloud's manifestation of anxiety and trauma. (In contrast, Sephiroth only takes notice of Cloud the moment he gets killed by him and thereafter is manically fascinated by Cloud.) This is a far more nuanced and interesting antagonist than the pinnacle of the crazed maniac stereotype (Kefka is literally a Jester!).

So for anyone who connects with Cloud for being traumatised and mentally struggling, Sephiroth is an amazing representation of that struggle.

Last edited:

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Gojo is extremely popular and quite likeable, so it's hard to imagine a character like that hated by his own creator. I can't fathom as to why.

This is certainly the first I've heard of such an instance. Can I ask what Gege has said about him?

Also, I already know what happens to him unfortunately. Twitter wasn't exactly subtle about it.
He might be joking about Gojo fans being annoying but I truly think he hates his own creation just because its own existence puts in on a corner. I wonder if Nomura feels the same way with some character he has made