• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Setreal

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus how long does it take for me to get my money once i sell a stock on robinhood. It's been 3 days since i got the message it sold. I want to cash out and delete my account.

I don't know about Robinhood specifically but usually it's 3 business days for funds to fully "clear" from a stock sale.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus how long does it take for me to get my money once i sell a stock on robinhood. It's been 3 days since i got the message it sold. I want to cash out and delete my account.
If you only installed the app this week, there is a chance your money from the bank might not have even made it to Robinhood yet and everything you have been doing has been on Credit, not on actual money

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With news that they've basically survived the rest of the year, I'm personally going to hold.

Just an FYI for you and everyone else focus on AMC. They will survive this year because a firm that owned $600M of their debt converted it to equity (reducing debt by $600M) and immediately sold all of it and liquidated their position this week.

They have far more knowledge than everyone and they got the heck out at $15.

it's one of the smartest moves I've seen. They essentially helped save the company and got out of a zero with a cool 500M.

remember the smart money got out

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got out on AMC at 15 today. Hell no, was only in it for the meme stock price jumps - then they pulled their shenanigans with buying. No confirmation about Coronavirus going away any time soon and you know, people streaming stuff now. People might go back to movies for a few months because they can't now, but when they can do it freely they won't.

Last edited:

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
If you only installed the app this week, there is a chance your money from the bank might not have even made it to Robinhood yet and everything you have been doing has been on Credit, not on actual money
And RH themselves was scrambling for money to cover everything, some more on that:
www.nytimes.com

Robinhood, in Need of Cash, Raises $1 Billion From Its Investors (Published 2021)

The no-fee trading app, which is popular with young investors, has been strained by the high volume of trading this week in stocks such as GameStop.
To continue operating, it drew on a line of credit from six banks amounting to between $500 million and $600 million to meet higher margin, or lending, requirements from its central clearing facility for stock trades, known as the Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation.

Robinhood still needed more cash quickly to ensure that it didn't have to place further limits on customer trading, said two people briefed on the situation, who asked to remain anonymous because the negotiations were confidential.

Robinhood, which is privately held, contacted several of its investors, including the venture capital firms Sequoia Capital and Ribbit Capital, which came together on Thursday night to offer the emergency funding, five people involved in the negotiations said.
After how they handled this I guess they're fulfilling the Robinhood to their own benefit, by getting investors to pump in more money while they were destroying their own reputation and devaluing themselves ahead of their IPO.
Just an FYI for you and everyone else focus on AMC. They will survive this year because a firm that owned $600M of their debt converted it to equity (reducing debt by $600M) and immediately sold all of it and liquidated their position this week.

it's one of the smartest moves I've seen. They essentially helped save the company and got out of a zero with a cool 500M.

Course in their position and amount of money they're dealing with I imagine they're being pretty conservative. It'd be crazy risky and greedy to push it when the opportunity to get out with a huge payout was right there.

Got out at $15 too and felt lucky cause the high wasn't too much more and was usually around $11-13 most of the day iirc. Didn't have too much in and tripled up so I'm happy. Could've just it ride but already have that going with bigger money in GME, so took the AMC gains while I could so I didn't have to watch and think about it anymore.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I got out on AMC at 15 today. Hell no, was only in it for the meme stock price jumps - then they pulled their shenanigans with buying. No confirmation about Coronavirus going away any time soon and you know, people streaming stuff now. People might go back to movies for a few months because they can't now, but when they can do it freely they won't.

I disagree to some extent. Yes people like to stay home, but people also like to find excuses to go out, see all the crazies in groups during a pandemic often without masks. And a movie is perfect for that even if you can watch it at home.

Plus idk about you but I'm more likely willing to spend $20 on a movie if I can see it in theaters than at home, otherwise I will probably rent for cheap. It's a psychological thing for me. My gf's dad is the same way. I wouldn't be surprised if this line of thinking is somewhat prevalent.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Completely untrue. As soon as corona isn't a threat anymore, theaters will continue to operate like normal. It is an experience. Literally not a single person I have spoken to about this issue agrees with the Era Bubble. Everyone is looking forward to returning to theaters and thinks viewing movies in their home is an inferior and less enjoyable experience overall.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Completely untrue. As soon as corona isn't a threat anymore, theaters will continue to operate like normal. It is an experience. Literally not a single person I have spoken to about this issue agrees with the Era Bubble. Everyone is looking forward to returning to theaters and thinks viewing movies in their home is an inferior and less enjoyable experience overall.
Not gonna lie. (serious) excited to spend a bunch on popcorn and concessions with giant screen. Always an experience for me.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium

if their business is taking on debt they probably just wanted to recoup their money quickly rather than leaving it invested in risky volatile stock?

safe money will get out because AMC is a gamble for sure but from what I understand it has been heavily shorted so the gme effect is a possibility (though not to the same extent) but moreover movie theatres are a viable business long term and will likely have a bit of a boom when lockdown is lifted so I don't think it's 'not smart'

it's a gamble, your capital is at risk, but it has some merits

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Sure but theaters were already on a steady decline. Looking at the average price of AMC over the past five years, it was at $15. AMC is overvalued right now and it will certainly have a tough time going forward, pandemic or not.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but theaters were already on a steady decline. Looking at the average price of AMC over the past five years, it was at $15. AMC is overvalued right now and it will certainly have a tough time going forward, pandemic or not.

People are itching to get out of the house. There will be a huge surge of people dining out, going to clubs, movies, etc. after the lockdown eases.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It's gonna take literally years before audiences ever get back to the numbers they had pre-Covid.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I 100% agree. Like cmon people, folks are dying to get the fuck out of their homes and share their experiences with other human beings. Theathers, music venues and restaurants are going to boom as soon as Covid fades away, which is going to happen soon (this year) even if we fund some bumps on the road.

Streaming and gaming are the services that are going to decline, really. Right now they dont have much competition on the race for our free time lol

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I 100% agree. Like cmon people, folks are dying to get the fuck out of their homes and share their experiences with other human beings. Theathers, music venues and restaurants are going to boom as soon as Covid fades away, which is going to happen soon (this year) even if we fund some bumps on the road.

Streaming and gaming are the services that are going to decline, really. Right now they dont have much competition on the race for our free time lol
Not to mention the insane number of movies backed up. Yes the end result is going to be some movies making less, but with movies hitting week after week there will be plenty for everyone to go see.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
idk about AMC. I think era is mostly full of itself on home theaters being better than the cinema -- yeah, if you spend a couple thousand dollars in time+money because you want to play videogames in 4K HDR with 5.1 surround, movies probably kick ass too. But nobody but us does that shit. People are going to go to the movies.

OTOH, the movie-going experience is pretty wack (think about how much better an empty theater usually is vs a packed house) and there are *lot* of things that could/should be done to improve it. Can AMC actually execute on those things?

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
Can anyone recommend a good trading app for the UK?

I currently use Freetrade, but there has been some shenanigans with them lately, and they only allow you to sell at a certain amount per order. Tried Trading 212 too, but they chose to restrict stock like Robinhood, and have a number of other issues.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
On the broker app I use, it says that GME is closed for the next couple of days. Just want to make sure this is a standard things and not just my app thing. Can anyone else confirm?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even care if I lose a bit of money.

At this point I feel like I'm a part of something great

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna take literally years before audiences ever get back to the numbers they had pre-Covid.

I totally disagree. Like others have said, as soon as we're let out again and there's widespread vaccination there's going to be a boom in every activity outside the home. People are done with this bullshit. I think if anything we'll see an immediate boom from the end of summer/through winter and then the cinema will slowly die off over the next decade, as it was going to.

It'll be interesting to see which way it plays out. But either way I'm more interested in airlines and other travel companies for this kind of play.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Far more knowledge into what? Long term viability? Probably. However they have no clue where this current thing (meme stonks) will end up which is absolutely not based on long term growth or profits.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I totally disagree. Like others have said, as soon as we're let out again and there's widespread vaccination there's going to be a boom in every activity outside the home. People are done with this bullshit. I think if anything we'll see an immediate boom from the end of summer/through winter and then the cinema will slowly die off over the next decade, as it was going to.

It'll be interesting to see which way it plays out. But either way I'm more interested in airlines and other travel companies for this kind of play.
I mean, if you've been paying attention to the news, even with vaccination we are still years away from a 100% return to normal.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Just so you all know, deepfuckingvalue has been slowly cashing out. "HE STAYS", yes. But he is smart to slowly cash out without anyone really noticing.

He took some of his winnings, you all should too before it becomes a frenzy next week.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Just so you all know, deepfuckingvalue has been slowly cashing out. "HE STAYS", yes. But he is smart to slowly cash out without anyone really noticing.

He took some of his winnings, you all should too before it becomes a frenzy next week.

Source? Have not been following as closely but just saw yesterday some reddit posts of him holding his position and he showed a screenshot of his GME holdings.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Source? Have not been following as closely but just saw yesterday some reddit posts of him holding his position and he showed a screenshot of his GME holdings.
If you follow his figures from the past few weeks, they are slowly shrinking. Slowly, very slowly.

Folks here are pointing it here, and everyone is okay with it because he deserves some profit.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

As soon as COVID is over we're going to see the lag effects of the recession that is taking root right now. Our economy is on life support right now, and while there will be a short-term pop in every industry due to people being in party mode, we're gonna be back in 2008-lite thereafter.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017

He has sold the call options he owned, but hasn't sold a single share of the stock. The call options have much higher bid/ask spreads and are much more reactive to volatility. It makes sense for him to sell these options when he thinks he is getting good value before volatility contracts before the expiration of the calls.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

It's done. Even on the Oculus Quest 2, which is far from a mainstream device, watching a high bitrate movie in Skybox is amazing. It's like having an Imax theater in your house (especially awesome for 3D movies). You combine that with the social avatar aspects that the Bigscreen app is already doing, and you can be in a movie theater watching with your friends. It's a fantastic experience already.

And we're not even close to the final form in terms of comfort or screen quality. Apple is rumored to be releasing a VR device that's like 8k for the display. We're really quite close to a situation where virtual/augmented movie screens will exceed the actual theaters. The devices we'll have available in 5 years will be an absolutely amazing way to watch movies. And this ignores the business logistics. How many studios are going to spend like they once did when theaters are in such a diminished state and you can't recoup the box office numbers you once counted on. They're simply gonna greenlight what makes sense from a streaming POV.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
in case of AMC maybe that's helpful for some of you

translated from german to english

For all about AMC here is a report from someone who has been in the stock market for 20 years. To break this down for anyone who is concerned or wants to know what to expect in the coming week: AMC current status (30JAN2021) : AMC has 44.6 million shares shorted and a total of 52 million shares. That means 86% of the shares are shorted (by hedge funds) and 14% are longed (by all of us) Now everyone is waiting for the shorted shares to expire and they (hedge funds) have to cover what they bet on. Remember, not EVERY stock will expire on Monday. So we MUST hold beyond that. Today's goal (1/29) was to top $8.63 (what the hedge funds were betting on Monday), and we did that, closing at $13.29! EXCELLENT! This short will expire in 0.5 trading days (Monday). So if they are forced to cover on Monday ($8.63), they will have to buy the stock at the current price to cover their bet. That drives the price up even more. But that's not even the best part. All of their other shorts are SIGNIFICANTLY lower. There are 9 different short stocks between $1.98-$5.96. Some of these shorts are 1.9 days away (Tue), 2.5 days away (Wed), 3.2 days away (Thu), so the longer they hold, the higher the price gets and the more they have to cover. There will be a heavy squeeze in the next few trading days. We are at the starting line of what GME has done. Hold the fort. Gains on Monday are inevitable. But Tuesday-Thursday gains will be much higher. Short squeezes are historical: to give you an example, Volkswagen had a 46% short at a $6 share price, pushed to $110 a share in 2008. AMC is 84% short at $13. The percentage is much higher and there is much more room to grow. At the high end, we are talking about the possibility of $150-200 per share if everyone is smart and waits until Thursday. My recommendation: 1. HOLD 2. Buy more on Monday if you can afford it because it will go up violently 3. Enjoy the ride until AT LEAST Thursday night when all the shorts expire and the price is at its highest. I am not a financial advisor but I am a registered stockbroker. I simply did my DD (due diligence) and thought about past events. Every stock has risk but it is all about risk mitigation. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity so be aware of what you are dealing with. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. Happy trading and a great job today to everyone. And don't forget to share or copy and paste this post into other posts to spread the word! I will see you on the moon 🚀 🌚

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Alexalder

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
That's because real people out there don't have 65" OLED like Era users.
But on the other side, corona is probably going to last years

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's done. Even on the Oculus Quest 2, which is far from a mainstream device, watching a high bitrate movie in Skybox is amazing. It's like having an Imax theater in your house (especially awesome for 3D movies). You combine that with the social avatar aspects that the Bigscreen app is already doing, and you can be in a movie theater watching with your friends. It's a fantastic experience already.

And we're not even close to the final form in terms of comfort or screen quality. Apple is rumored to be releasing a VR device that's like 8k for the display. We're really quite close to a situation where virtual/augmented movie screens will exceed the actual theaters. The devices we'll have available in 5 years will be an absolutely amazing way to watch movies. And this ignores the business logistics. How many studios are going to spend like they once did when theaters are in such a diminished state and you can't recoup the box office numbers you once counted on. They're simply gonna greenlight what makes sense from a streaming POV.
VR isn't replacing theaters anytime soon, lol.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are the EU folks expecting the GME stock to drop monday morning, because the stock market in the US is closed the whole day?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I heavily disagree. I think we'll see record levels of attendance throughout 2022. Look at what Demon Slayer did in Japan, although a different market and still during covid.

This. I think people will be going out in droves once the idea of actual herd immunity is reached or even getting close to. I think mask use will still be prevalent depending on where you are. One annoying thing: Scalpers are going to have a field day in 2021 - 2022.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
VR isn't replacing theaters anytime soon, lol.

VR will be around long after the theaters are all dead. If you want to watch 3D movies, VR is already the superior experience.

This is all ignoring the much shorter term problem anyways: theaters only existed because of the blockbusters. And nothing new is getting budgeted that can't be justified from a streaming POV. This is why theaters are dead in the near term. Covid pull the final nail in their coffin.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are off on this "surge" idea once COVID restriction are lifted- it's not going to be an immediate thing that happens all at once, on a particular day, across the world. Every country has different vaccine timelines, there will be different paces of mask and social distancing regulations being lifted at the local level, etc. It's going to be a slow, gradual return to normalcy so the businesses that benefit (theaters, restaurants, etc) are going to see the same slow staggered effect.