• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony Santa Monica has done it again. They have delivered a game that is not only a treat to play through but is also a technical marvel. God of War on the PlayStation 4 quite easily surpasses the likes of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and Horizon Zero: Dawn, two of the most beautiful looking games and takes the crown for the best-looking game of this generation. And yes, we know that's a huge claim given there are new titles releasing every month, but among all the titles we have analyzed for the last many years, this game stands tall among all.

LINK for video
LINK for article

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
People said the same for Uncharted 4, and for The Witcher 3, and for every tentpole AAA game to ever exist.

Sony has been at the forefront of high fidelity graphics, to their credit.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Assuming we're talking about console only games.. sure that might be the case. GoW is stunning.

Even if I'm more drawn to artsy fartsy games in terms of "greatness" in how a game looks there's no arguing this is marvelous.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I prefer how Garou: Mark of the Wolves looks :o)

Why not put "gamingbolt claim" or whatever in the title, embarassed of the source or something (never heard of it)?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
gow_screens_review_03.jpg

Haha that dude in the PS5 thread said the PS4 is hilariously underpowered lmaoooooooo

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony exclusives have always had the best graphics, so not at all surprised.

The Last of Us: Part II will take the crown next year.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I think many 2D games have a way better look than GoW or Horizon, which mostly impress me on the technical side. But sure, like a lot of AAA games, they look good in a somewhat bland generic kind of way.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
People said the same for Uncharted 4, and for The Witcher 3, and for every tentpole AAA game to ever exist.

Sony has been at the forefront of high fidelity graphics, to their credit.
AAA games are usually the ones that can put time and money into art and graphics. I'm jealous of Horizon graphics still, and I like to mod Skyrim to the limit. That foliage, ants on trees carrying leaves. My goodness I still drop my jaw at gifs of that game from SunhiLegend.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Honestly it'd be more productive to wait till Digital Foundry has released its analysis first, but I amended the title. I may proceed to lock this if DF's analysis provides the same info but with greater depth. Just be noted.

Jan 10, 2018
Soon we will read headlines about how God of War cured humanity of cancer. :)

And I'm with Napalm_Frank about the term "quite easily surpasses". Horizon Zero Dawn looks like a game from a future generation and if it has been surpassed easily I expect God of War to feel like something from another dimension. Hopefully it will surprise me because I honestly doubt it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
We'll see if it really surprasses Horizon. From the footage I'm not too sure but of course I'm not in a position to judge it yet.

Probably helps that GoW doesn't have solid 30 fps at 4K unlike Horizon (or so I did read).

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
it looks good, but honestly feel it is behind horizon, uncharted and even the order still

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like everytime a big AAA Sony exclusive come out it gets labelled with this.

Again a good case of how clouded subjective opinion can lead to. Best looking game of all time is a meaningless statement. To what are you referring then?
  • Technical prowess
  • Visual look
  • Specific detail
and so on. An amazing artstyle often trumps games visually that are technically far more impressive. The opposite holds true aswell, sometimes technically impressive games end up looking better than most games out there.

All in all, there is never a definitive winner to this kind of labelling. What one person considers GOW as the best looking game of all time, the other might throw in Ori or Zelda. So really, the author chose a sensationalistic title to gain attention.

I think GOW stands among a long line of visually amazing games, but to say its the best? I don't think so. Personally i think AC Unity's interiors still trump that despite being baked, and i think Metro Exodus will take the cake for shooters when it comes out.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best shit ever™ until the honeymoon period is over om era and threads like "Actually, God of War doesn't look that good" start popping up.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I did and still do. And I agree with v_iHuGi. So?
What does this even mean?

I'm reminded of the year of our lord 2010, when Metro 2033 released, and was easily the greatest looking video game ever made, but a lot of people thought that God of War 3 looked better because they couldn't play Metro on their Playstations and thus had no idea what they were missing.

I'm not mad, but I think fanboying over the graphics of a game on a system a full magnitude of graphical power less than a gaming PC could ever be even considered one of the best looking games of all time. At best, you might argue it's the best-looking Playstation game ever. It doesn't even rate when compared to something like a maxed out Quantum Break.

Higher resolution and frame rate isn't better looking than straight up amazing graphics. This is about graphics.

I think you mean art, then, not graphics. Because graphics is the technical stuff. Higher resolution, framerate, polycount, image quality, lighting... that's what graphics are.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming you've never played a game on a PC or Xbox One X.
Come on, I remember when my main platform was PS3, people kept wishing devs put as much time and money into pc games that console first party could like Sony with Uncharted 2 and later TLoU. Now it's Horizon, Uncharted 4, and apparently GOW Norse. And I totally get what this GOW may do, it floored me with the scale and scope of it's world since GOW2, GOW3 with the titans, and that Posidon fight impressed the heck out of me. I think scale + graphics/art is what is causing people that played it to take notice for this GOW.

For PC we have Hellblade, Star Citizen, modded games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 which are console ports. I don't know how Assassin Creed Origins look for myself (haven't been interested in the series since 2), but that seem to get a lot of praise so there's that.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of the year of our lord 2010, when Metro 2033 released, and was easily the greatest looking video game ever made, but a lot of people thought that God of War 3 looked better because they couldn't play Metro on their Playstations and thus had no idea what they were missing.

I'm not mad, but I think fanboying over the graphics of a game on a system a full magnitude of graphical power less than a gaming PC could ever be even considered one of the best looking games of all time. At best, you might argue it's the best-looking Playstation game ever. It doesn't even rate when compared to something like a maxed out Quantum Break.

I think you mean art, then, not graphics. Because graphics is the technical stuff. Higher resolution, framerate, polycount, image quality, lighting... that's what graphics are.

Do you have a PS4?

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Assuming we're talking about console only games.. sure that might be the case. GoW is stunning.

Even if I'm more drawn to artsy fartsy games in terms of "greatness" in how a game looks there's no arguing this is marvelous.

I'm assuming you've never played a game on a PC or Xbox One X.

Let's pretend the best looking game ever (Horizon) it's not a PS4 game.

I don't know if the gamingbolt claim is true, but Horizon is the king to be dethroned.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah certain parts of Quantum Break looked like a TV show it was so real.

Status
Not open for further replies.