• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
GOW has the best skybox EVER - Proven wrong
"GOW is the best looking game of all time" - Proven wrong
"GOW has the best snow and best snow deformation" - Proved to be wrong
"GOW has the best volumetric lighting and fog that even PC games don't use" - Proved to be wrong.
"GOW has the best GI" proved to be wrong.
"HDZ doesn't have a skybox" Proved to be wrong.

Other things proved to be wrong but not contested.

GOW eye shader is subpar and mediocre,
GOW hair shader is subpar and mediocre,
GOW cloth shader is subpar and mediocre
GOW water shader is subpar and mediocre
GOW skin shader is subpar and mediocre
GOW procedural system doesn't match other critically acclaimed games procedural system.

People always result to the troll accusation when they can't defend their position.
GOW is nowhere close to being the best looking game of all time. Not even in the top 5 best looking game in this generation.
But don't mind me, make up something new, post a new screenshot and claim "BEST".
You've been doing it all thread, why stop now? so i can rebut with indisputable facts!
I wouldn't call a personal opinion about the artistic/technical choice of an another studio, an indisputable fact. Especially when the word subpar/mediocre is so redundant.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Nope, it is not the shakiness of the drone. You can see the textures swapping and morphing in and out.
lJwAxKJ.gif

Don't make certain statements when you do not have all information available and certainly don't argue with people have have the game and have played the game. You made several statements, you were so convinced even when evidence was provided you refuse to back down, instead you post presentation slides to prove you are right when those slides do not support you, remember the whole PBR and wood material nonsense you brought up earlier?

The drone lol

19gztn.gif

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Just going old school Halo 3 has some of the best sky in game ever. They're not sky boxes at all and everything is a object in space flying around like the clouds and all the ships flying around.

Did you know you can fly from the ground and all the way up into space?! Not only does Halo 3 render radiosity in real time, which gives the sky a color from the angle and position of the sun, but also render out space at all times so stars always there too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaMB-BnntaQ

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Here's something that driveclub does that blew my mind the first time i saw it. If you are in high altitude location in the mountain tracks, you can literally see clouds forming right in front of you.

BFHVZFX.gif

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018

All those shots are in-engine with full resolution cloud and high density than in game. (Its been months since i read the presentation so I can't confirm this statement). Hey those are nice clouds. TruSky is certainly a beast. DriveClub implementation of TruSky is certainly the BEST volumetric cloud in game. But then again, volumetric cloud doesn't immediately translate to best sky.

But again, the thing about real life sky is that vistas it create. HDZ and Drive club sky is dull because what makes a sky great is not just volumetric clouds. Its the atmospheric scattering and the variety of scenes it produces.
HDZ and Drive Club timelapse is literally almost the same barren small difference in cloud shape and animation.

Google "sky clouds sunset". You will never see anything like that in HDZ or DriveClub. Yet you will see that in Forza Horizon 3

You are glowing after volumetric clouds but i'm talking about a complete sky system.
Call me when a game looks anything like this or when HDZ can produce sky visuals that look like this. This is as realistic as it gets!

forza_horizon_3__soaring_by_sleekhusky-dbitrf7.jpg

eb4b55c2-eb06-4d56-b61c-99a353ed6717.jpg

mobile.200i8um8.jpg

01Z2UVX.gif

You can literally pass this off as a photo without the watermark.

2aac63e5-69fe-4db4-bd83-1899a9f1b965.jpg

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
All those shots are in-engine with full resolution cloud and high density than in game. (Its been months since i read the presentation so I can't confirm this statement). Hey those are nice clouds. TruSky is certainly a beast. DriveClub implementation of TruSky is certainly the BEST volumetric cloud in game. But then again, volumetric cloud doesn't immediately translate to best sky.

But again, the thing about real life sky is that vistas it create. HDZ and Drive club sky is dull because what makes a sky great is not just volumetric clouds. Its the atmospheric scattering and the variety of scenes it produces.
HDZ and Drive Club timelapse is literally almost the same barren small difference in cloud shape and animation.

Google "sky clouds sunset". You will never see anything like that in HDZ or DriveClub. Yet you will see that in Forza Horizon 3

You are glowing after volumetric clouds but i'm talking about a complete sky system.
Call me when a game looks anything like this or when HDZ can produce sky visuals that look like this. This is as realistic as it gets!

mobile.200i8um8.jpg

01Z2UVX.gif

No they are not in engine, no shot is full resolution because it was not running in realtime when the volumetric cloud where full resolution. They use 1/4 resolution cloud and use temporal reconstruction if I remember well.

And in HZD it is not because it it impossible to produce this sky sunset it is because HZD art direction hyperrealism and they limit themselves to certain lightning condition* where the game graphics shine you will never see mundane lightning in HZD and it is the reason of accelerated transition between day and night and vice versa...

* It was said directly by the GG team during a presentation... Again realistic art direction not equals better here the technology shows its limits... It is good for a car game but when would pay attention to the sky clouds break the illusion...

Watermark or not I will not think one instant this is reality... Not at all...

And the TruSky solution is not the best, he was not satisfy of the cloud when he decided to not use it because certain type of clouds were not rendered correctly or not at all...

Real-time volumetric clouds in games usually pay for fast performance with a reduction in quality. The most successful approaches are limited to low altitude fluffy and translucent stratus-type clouds. For Horizon Zero Dawn, Guerrilla need a solution that can fill a sky with evolving and realistic results that closely match highly detailed reference images which represent high altitude cirrus clouds and all of the major low level cloud types, including thick billowy cumulus clouds. These clouds need to light correctly according to the time of day and other cloud-specific lighting effects. Additionally, we are targeting GPU performance of 2ms. Our solution is a volumetric cloud shader which handles the aspects of modeling, animation and lighting logically without sacrificing quality or draw time. Special emphasis will be placed on our solutions for direct-ability of cloud shapes and formations as well as on our lighting model and optimizations.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

mobile.200i8um8.jpg

01Z2UVX.gif

I already believed you didn't really have much of a clue what you were talking about based on posts throughout the thread, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's not just that you're necessarily ignorant and/or jaded (as evidenced from multiple posts), but instead simply trolling.

I get that you don't have the game and don't really have a great understanding of rendering and graphics etc, but how can you, with a straight face look at videos, images etc as posted prior, or GIFs like these and claim "HDZ and Drive club sky is dull...HDZ and Drive Club timelapse is literally almost the same barren small difference in cloud shape and animation.".

And I'd argue many of the cloud shots I posted earlier already look more realistic than some of the examples you've posted.

BuKH8DT.gif

tumblr_nq0m85iBAq1tyvnamo1_500.gif

PSFTlfy.gif

dcg97kl5.gif

2759237-2757305-mzeeim.gif

vnnYaM.gif

As per your Google image search request, some real world examples of sunsets in Colarado (where Horizon is based) versus the game. Comparing to random sunsets from around the world with completely different climates, ecologies, extremes of weather etc, would be as stupid as your prior post comparing completely different wood and metal types.

It's obviously still impossible to compare because similar to real life, skies in Horizon (and DRIVECLUB) are uniquely generated.

20100822-Uncompahgre-Sunset.jpg

The%2Bend%2Bof%2BAutumn%2BSmall.jpg

Endless-Beauty.jpg

2jdrhuga9tky.jpg

horizon_zero_dawn___sunset_in_mother_s_embrace_by_ph2gaming-db20ahp.jpg

8ab27f1afe08ed027b964db147652af2.jpg

MKj8JUu.jpg

2zQhas.jpg

Last edited:

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
What I hope SMS improve upon most in the sequel is the cinematography. Key dramatic moments were let down by some drab photography. The killing of the deer and
Kratos revealing he's a god in that poorly lit cave
are two notable moments.

Edit: You know what's interesting? The deer scene was actually downgraded in that sense. Compare the deer scene in the game to the deer scene at E3.

I guess using the same location in the full game wasn't feasible. Bummer.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Loaded up GOW, Horizon and Uncharted LL today. Naughty Dog is still king of this graphics shit. I was staring at the detail on Chloe's hands for a minute. TLOU2 is gonna be craaazy

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I hope SMS improve upon most in the sequel is the cinematography. Key dramatic moments were let down by some drab photography. The killing of the deer and
Kratos revealing he's a god in that poorly lit cave
are two notable moments.

Edit: You know what's interesting? The deer scene was actually downgraded in that sense. Compare the deer scene in the game to the deer scene at E3.

I guess using the same location in the full game wasn't feasible. Bummer.

I thought it was downgraded too, but the thing is they just used a different setting that makes the lighting brighter, and the wind doesn't blow as hard as it did in the E3 presentation.

I like the more subtle effect on the deer in the E3 presentation though. Not sure why they felt the need to brighten up the blue effects. Probably to make it seem less lifelike so no one felt that the scene feels cruel?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Playing on a pro on lg oled it's stunning, so colorful and the hdr really pops. Watched a friend play on a standard ps4 with hdr on a tcl and it's still mind blowing how good it looks. Edit spell check hdr

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
UC4, HZD and GOW are amazing games with amazing visuals. Every game has an amazing aspect.
PlayStation doing good work

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Clearly the best looking skybox in game and by far waaaaaay better than GOW. Not even close. Also the #2 looking water in game behind sea of theives. Completely blowing GOW out of the water.

UNYg7Uv.gif

dronemode1rylkd.gif

fh317foro2.png

fh321rio9y.png

screenshot-original4or4n.png

53Hc8xj.jpg

7qNbhyV.gif

giphy.gif

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Nope, it is not the shakiness of the drone. You can see the textures swapping and morphing in and out.
NvBNCHD.gif

It is the shakiness. As you can clearly see below.
unless you believe mountains can shake and sway like that. Also clouds dissipates and appear aswell in RL so idk what you are talking about. the shaking of the drone mode plus the 10-24x speed up simply makes things look off.

The blending between potentially hundreds of thousands of 12k pictures look stunning. but obviously at 10-24x speed up, things become noticeable.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
It is the shakiness. As you can clearly see below.
unless you believe mountains can shake and sway like that. Also clouds dissipates and appear aswell in RL so idk what you are talking about. the shaking of the drone mode plus the 10-24x speed up simply makes things look off.

The blending between potentially hundreds of thousands of 12k pictures look stunning. but obviously at 10-24x speed up, things become noticeable.

Shakiness has nothing to do with textures swapping in and out and the morphing effect it produces when it transitions between the textures. The cloudscape in FH3 is good looking because they literally captured high resolution pictures and video of real clouds and put them in a the game (oversimplification of course) this is a technique that is very prevalent in many games because it is cheap in terms of performance and produces a very good result when done properly, downside is when closely observed, you can see the seams and it appears 2 dimensional.

The first one is a real cloud for comparison.
As you can see above, one of them looks like a slideshow with the cross-fade, morphing effect and texture swapping that is clearly visible. I'm done carrying on this conversation because it is pointless.

Last edited:

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
I can't imagine GOW's additional technical challenges as a character heavy 3rd person action game with no camera cuts and a focus on hand to hand combat would have left much room for a deep dive into skybox visual development.

Dwelling on skies just seems pretty moot in the grand scheme of things, especially when the go to comparisons tend to be racing games. Still complex in their own right, but there is arguably a greater breadth of visual challenges to tackle in a game like GOW.

Last edited:

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Shakiness has nothing to do with textures swapping in and out and the morphing effect it produces when it transitions between the textures. The cloudscape in FH3 is good looking because they literally captured high resolution pictures and video of real clouds and put them in a the game (oversimplification of course) this is a technique that is very prevalent in many games because it is cheap in terms of performance and produces a very good result when done properly, downside is when closely observed, you can see the seams and it appears 2 dimensional.

The first one is a real cloud for comparison.

As you can see above, one of them looks like a slideshow with the cross-fade, morphing effect and texture swapping that is clearly visible. I'm done carrying on this conversation because it is pointless.

There's more to a skybox than simply cloud rendering. this is what you don't understand. atmospheric scattering, and more. All that adds together to crazy amazing sky vistas. Nothing that you will see in HDZ or DC.

But it doesn't matter as i have said before. The claims by multiple people in this thread that GOW has the "best skybox" is completely flawed.

HDZ, DC, AC and other games have way better skybox than it. And ofcourse topping off with the best skybox in a game ever being forza horizon 3.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"But if you actually go to what i said based on the info i had on hand."

"And even before that i already saw SSS in cutscene, and because i didn't have the game i can only settle from what i see through walkthrough videos unless someone goes and collect more evidence and posts it for the discussion."

SMH seriously cut it out.

You outright said that God of War lacked SSS, stop lying. Your goal post shifting is something else.

How do we report users for trolling?

You can report a user if you click on the top right icon with the exclamation mark beside the post. There's some speculation that this user is an alt account, though I don't know if that's provable.

EDIT: Account was created on April 16th 2018 and literally has only posted in this thread aside from the Ryse v God of War thread and in the Detroit thread , for whatever that is worth. It's possible he's genuine.

Last edited:

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
We are locking this thread as it seems to continuously derail into being about unrelated games and the thread seems to have long since run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.