mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Looks like the 4 other games. If that is good or bad depends on the players/fans. Personally I don't think I need more of it.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Ew. The fuck was that?

2009 called. They want their game design back.

Those bullet sponge enemies aren't doing it for me either. Complete with numbers coming out of healthbars. Yuck.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This series hasn't evolved much since the original and its starting to show....... badly.

The wall bouncing is absolutely awful. "But muh esports....."

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 5 should have been the reinvention of the series that throws away stupid shit like wall bouncing and shotgun spamming for something new and interesting, that's what the promise was last year with the trailer that got everyone so excited. This year is just showing us we were stupid to get excited and it's just more of the same.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
The one thing I was really worried about after leaving xbox after so many years was missing out on Gears. After this I think I'll be fine. Not saying the rest of the game wont be great, but this was not a good showing and I'm speechless as to why this is what they decided to show at this E3.
Such a shame

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Escape looks like a new Horde-like Coop mode. Don`t know what`s wrong about that.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it doesn't seem that bad, OP. But at the same time, it doesn't seem fun either.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 should have been the reinvention of the series that throws away stupid shit like wall bouncing and shotgun spamming for something new and interesting, that's what the promise was last year with the trailer that got everyone so excited. This year is just showing us we were stupid to get excited and it's just more of the same.
No one is forcing you to use any of those mechanics.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like gears. Wouldn't go that far to say it looks bad. Just looks stale. Still in for the campaign though

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do the mods get super lenient during E3....Some of these posts are clearly trolling.
I legit might have to dodge every Xbox related thread till after E3.

Its like either people have never seen Gears or just have to hate.
Gears fans dont want to play NOT Gears, we want evolved Gears not a new game entirely.
If you never liked the gameplay (actually playing it not looking at it) then this wont change that obviously its still a Gears game at the end of day.

Worse still we have some people hating on Wallbouncing? THE FUCK?

Highlevel gameplay to most casuals or people who never played Game X will always look weird.
Before i understood Tekken watch 2 pros play looks silly because of their weird tekken crouch dash cancel....but once I understood what was going on I respected it.
If people understood why the Wallbounce is a high level technique maybe they would also understand why animations are "Horrible".

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You've got some bad taste on you, OP. Looks great! Gears of War always has been one of my favorite IPs for a reason and The Coalition has more than done right by it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
should be Gears 4 DLC than a full release.
How actual fuck do you run a thought like this through your brain, spin up the motor function to begin typing it, read it once you've finished, still think "yeah, this is a valid and not ridiculous thing to say" and then post this to an account knowing full well that these words will always be associated with your identity?

It's almost admirable how someone could unrepentantly post something so obnoxious.

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
Looks good, just how you would expect a gears game to be. This is just a new horde type game mode set to very easy looks with a journalist playing who obviously isn't to familiar with gears.
Seems like alot of xbox haters in here just wanting to hate with out thinking.

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
Jesus, the xbox exclusive hate thirst is still strong here.
That's gameplay of an online game mode, required to play at 60fps on a base XB1 (that's why the graphics don't look as good as the campaign), and that gif y'all are reacting to is due to a skill of the character to augment the cover distance.
On the other hand, about all the Gears 5 presentation that they've been doing, I think the Coalition did a bad move, what they showed is great for Gears fan, but they not gonna win new fans, or draw the attention of critics with online modes.
They need to show a great campaign with a good story and lovable characters.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Not drinking the kool-aid doesn't make you a troll - I'm a big Gears fan and think this demo looks bad. It's just more of the same, wouldn't even bother if it wasn't on Gamepass.

Really lame how a few sensitive posters are out to make the OP look like a fanboy

Exactly.

Gears 1 was the game that led to my PS360 gen 'moment' (similar to Mario 64, RE1, Halo, etc) and I've loved Gears since, but the whole E3 presentation and their hiding the campaign until literally days before release has me seriously worried about the game.

I'm sure the multiplayer will deliver, but as someone who has limited gaming time, I prefer to use that time playing single player games and Gears was of the one game this year I was really looking forward to. (because I sure as shit knew Ghosts wasn't going to hit 2019, so it's 2020 for my Sucker Punch hit)

You realise OP is a predominantly Xbox centric gamer?

Predominantly Switch and mobile gamer, thank you very much. (although I am slowly working my way through Days Gone, I just wish it wasn't so boring at times)

See, this looks better. I'm still not sold on using E3 to showcase this mode when they really should have been showing some goddamn campaign footage. I really don't understand what their thinking here is. Show an average mode at the biggest gaming event of the year and then show the campaign just a few days before release?

Normally people would be suspect as fuck as to what the developer was hiding, but here it's just brushed off by the majority and we're constantly told to wait.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand calling the trailer / presentation awful, but this is just standard Gears? Doesn't swing to either good or bad for me.

Okrim

Dec 14, 2017
Italy
It looks like Gears? If you never liked the series you sure shouldn't look forward to 5th (actually 6th) installment.
The core gameplay it will of course always look the same, the cover system and shotgun importance will always be there and there is no reason to expect anything different.
If they decide to change the core gameplay to appeal to non-fans, the would lose the people that are actually buying the games in favor of people that maybe will buy it? It isn't a wise move and it's been proved as the wrong path many times in the industry.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Unless you think Gears multiplayer always looked bad, I don't think I understand what's so bad in this video.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
It doesnt look horrendous. Looks fine and looks like gears.

But the series need reboot and try something new...

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It looks fine but it definitely isn't helped when it's being played by someone that looks like they've just picked up a controller for the first time in their life.

Killer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How actual fuck do you run a thought like this through your brain, spin up the motor function to begin typing it, read it once you've finished, still think "yeah, this is a valid and not ridiculous thing to say" and then post this to an account knowing full well that these words will always be associated with your identity?

It's almost admirable how someone could unrepentantly post something so obnoxious.
uhhhh opinions? how do they work?

It looks exactly like Gears 4. I'd personally think it's better a DLC or a spin-off like Judgment rather than a numbered sequel. Look at Halo for example.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if, at some point, the tone of this thread will shift to an understanding that this a new co-operative multiplayer mode and not at all indicative of the campaign, which promises to be more ambitious.

I'm just as baffled as anyone else as to why they didn't show campaign footage, but here we are.

I'm personally trying to imagine a Gears game without wall-bouncing. This particular criticism always comes off as " The Dev should alienate their fans. I probably wouldn't play the game even if it used my preferred movement system, but I'm going to pile on anyway "

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not a huge Gears fan, but even so I feel like they have a complete lack of handling with the series. Isn't the series supposed to be about chainsawing monsters? Yet all they're showing of it is clips from what seems like a poorly written melodramatic soap opera.

imagine how much praise gears would be getting here if it adopted uncharted's 'gameplay' lmao
Exciting games excite people

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, it looks ok?
Not spectacular, but it's probably this particular game mode.
I can't believe they botched the showing when the game launches in 2 months and they have been hyping the campaign as the biggest yet and teased a lot of new things.
Not that i really care about Gears 5, but it was baffling.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The beginning with all the instant kills and none of them noticing was pretty bad. But then it looked like Gears. Which is fine.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like more Gears.

Seems like they don't want to change. I was hoping for their big God of War moment.

I'll play it but i don't expect any big waves from this franchise anymore.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I am not a huge Gears fan, but even so I feel like they have a complete lack of handling with the series. Isn't the series supposed to be about chainsawing monsters? Yet all they're showing of it is clips from what seems like a poorly written melodramatic soap opera.

The series isn't "about chainsawing monsters"

Its about humanity trying to survive on a planet overrun by monsters... Chainsawing is one method of killing said monsters...

Looks like more Gears.

Seems like they don't want to change. I was hoping for their big God of War moment.

I'll play it but i don't expect any big waves from this franchise anymore.

Why would you expect this God of War moment to come from a multiplayer mode?

Dec 25, 2018

The series has always been a bit of both, though when it dips into the drama its either been hit or miss.