• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This isn't really the big thing I'd bring up against Gears 5. As it's just a presence if you want heavier or lighter (basically Gears 1 vs 3).

Surprised they didn't make a video about how the game still uses so much base from Gears 3. To where it feels like they just added on top of the base there to make 4 & 5.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure people will view this video and come out of it being more rational when engaging in online discourse regarding video games.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Even though Cliff is a huge asshole, he knew how to make games with punch to them when working at epic. Gears 1-3 were awesome....Judgement not so much.

I think Gears 5 would atleast be better than judgement and 4 on these fronts however.

Its the same feeling i get from Halo 4 and 5 compared to bungie's entrees

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 is so intense I had to actually turn my sound down more than my usual setting for all my games. And I'm only like 4 hours in....

Game is nuts.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Rather than rip the Youtuber (who I don't know), I've yet to hear anyone say that Gears 5 feels worse than other Gears. I guess 30 frames makes everything feel more tanky and weighty and some people may enjoy that camera shake...but Gears 5 nails and improves most things from a gameplay standpoint compared to previous Gears. In the future, I'd like to see more physics and better AI. If you were going to be critical about Gears, that's where the focus should be. Division 2 raised the bar in AI and I'd like to see that be the standard for AAA cover shooters.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I mean I don't love this video, but if someone can't separate a good game compared to pretty minor detail differences in the scheme of things, then I'm not going to put that on Crowbcat.
Lets not pretend there aren't people out there who aren't gullible like that. Even if the video is intended to be a troll video and all this nitpicking is supposed to be some weird joke, it can still easily be interpreted as serious criticism for the game and the criticism does look legitimate even if it is mostly misleading. It will definitely have an effect on sales but we can only hope it's not a disaster. I've already seen this video posted on every forum I post on and it's spreading like wildfire across Twitter as well.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Even though Cliff is a huge asshole, he knew how to make games with punch to them when working at epic. Gears 1-3 were awesome....Judgement not so much.

I think Gears 5 would atleast be better than judgement and 4 on these fronts however.

Its the same feeling i get from Halo 4 and 5 compared to bungie's entrees

Gears 2 = 5 > 1 > 3 > 4.

on gears 2 the destruction brings nothing to the gameplay whereas in the 5 it is organic to the gameplay.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The only thing that really bumps me out is the clear step backwards regarding the environmental feedback of weapons. It feels so static.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Me personally as someone who plays too much Gears and has clocked in an absurd amount of hours in the franchise I feel can say he is pretty much right. Weapons feel weaker and sound worse. Enemies now explode like jelly packs instead of being shredded by bullets. I dont honestly dont see any lies. Its pretty obvious to see but I'm wondering how no one else sees this or complains about it.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Water physics and breakable glass is pretty disappointing in Gears 5, and some other nitpicks too (not on Dead Rising 1 vs Dead Rising 4 level but still..), dunno why everyone are so defensive.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Crowbcat's videos really start to feel like he's trying too hard to prove who knows what that nobody notices.
And lol @ the reception of his videos (the comments), as if they discovered a conspiracy through the lack of a sound effect or something.

It's stupid he's become that much of a tryhard, I'm gonna unsubscribe I think.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that this claim of Crowbcat being a collective is often parroted in any Crowbcat related thread, but no evidence is ever brought forth to prove this is true. People want to believe this so they can claim that the person responsible for the problematic content in previous Crowbcat videos has been excised from the group, probably so they can feel better about enjoying Crowbcat's content, but again, no evidence of this is ever provided. Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.
I've only seen that claim made here. I haven't seen folks on Reddit, Twitter, etc. refer to Crowbcat as a team of people.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
It's pretty good video showcasing some of the differences between Gears 2 and Gears 5, don't know why you're all getting so defensive. I definitely prefers the more "punchy" combat of old Gears.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not sure I'm feeling the argument of the video's titles as much as some of Crowbcat's other content. I think the difference in presentation is negligible from a gameplay standpoint.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting to see the differences but not a lot to it. Destruction not that interesting, blood etc.yeah hardware, other priorities. The punch, judder, I'm glad that's gone but I suppose you could still have it without the screen shaking.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Probably because I don't really care that much and haven't played the game myself. But it's interesting to see how certain threads here go one way or the other into polar opposites depending on what the first responses say. I guess people are that easily swayed.

And I wouldn't say "several". The vast majority is simply refusing to see what he has to say and choosing to close their eyes and scream so that they can't be convinced otherwise.
"i dont actually care but i know the exact contents of this thread but i dont care tho"
okay jan

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
He's not even necessarily highlighting anything controversial here. Reviews for the old gears games were better too, and these elements almost certainly play a part.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely have felt this lack of weight since Gears 3. I'm sure if you'd ask the developers they'd be (if they were to be completely frank) able to list a huge amount of reasons, most of them really good ones, why the series has done this kind of shift. But I still miss the old games w.r.t. this.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
He's not even necessarily highlighting anything controversial here. Reviews for the old gears games were better too, and these elements almost certainly play a part.
They certainly don't, if Gears doesn't have the same level of critical success it's essentially because it struggles to renew its identity from the Xbox 360 days.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me that Mafia II vs. Mafia III video.

I'm powering through Gears 4 on Casual to get ready for Gears 5, but man, the lack of hit reactions on enemies is pretty lame. Even on Casual a lot of them just feel like reactionless sponges. At least the Swarm reacts a little bit better than the boring-ass robots in the early part of the game. I dropped the game initially after playing for a couple of hours because fighting the DeeBees was just so uninteresting. The Coalition really should have played Binary Domain for research or something.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, a simple disagreement would do, especially since there were valid points brought up.

But now people are making it a whole thing about all his videos and how they feel about him as a person.
Or claiming he has it out for a specific brand. Because that's a reasonable thing to assume and doesn't make people look like console warriors.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The reload one has to be a bug because it looked hilarious compared to the old game.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
One thing to note about the environmental destruction is...there are probably more unique assets in the first chapter of Gears 5 than there are in the entirety of Gears of War 2. It's mostly just a brute force asset creation issue, as everything needs to be made multiple times to break apart nicely.

Also, it shouldn't be overlooked that Gears 1, 2 and to a lesser extent 3, were both games and advertisements for Unreal Engine features. Sometimes, it was to the benefit of the game, but a lot of times it was to a detriment (the tedious inside the worm level, the worthless 'army tech' of seeing scores of grubs in the distance, etc).

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
That video gave me a ton of nostalgia for Gears 1 + 2. That grey on grey colour palette made the game feel so grimy (and great).

Gears is insanely colourful now but lacks that grime of the first few games.

I do think Crowbbat makes a good case for the camera shake from Gears 2 that does add intensity.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
The destructability is actually much increased in 5. There is a new mechanic where breakable columns of ice/sand glass can kill enemies and create new cover for the player, and are also added dynamically through weather events.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They certainly don't, if Gears doesn't have the same level of critical success it's essentially because it struggles to renew its identity from the Xbox 360 days.
Here's a crazy idea, perhaps it struggles to recapture its identity in large part because it's lacking the same intensity and punch?

That's a pretty wide-ranging and nebulous thing to suggest at any rate. I think, fairly simply, Gears 5 isn't as good in the year 2019 as Gears 2 was in 2008, or Gears 1 in 2005; and this video highlights a number of applicable reasons why that is.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty wide-ranging and nebulous thing to suggest at any rate. I think, fairly simply, Gears 5 isn't as good in the year 2019 as Gears 2 was in 2008, or Gears 1 in 2005

I mean, yeah, that's not even remotely up for debate. Gears 1 was a massive accomplishment in both visuals and gameplay that basically marked the beginning of the 360 era and next generation. It was monumental.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The destructability is actually much increased in 5. There is a new mechanic where breakable columns of ice/sand glass can kill enemies and create new cover for the player, and are also added dynamically through weather events.

This right here is among the clearer signals for how deliberately misleading the video is. And it's hard not to look at it as a total give-away for foregone conclusions if people are reacting positively to the video without at least calling that much out.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a crazy idea, perhaps it struggles to recapture its identity in large part because it's lacking the same intensity and punch?

That's a pretty wide-ranging and nebulous thing to suggest at any rate. I think, fairly simply, Gears 5 isn't as good in the year 2019 as Gears 2 was in 2008; and this video highlights a number of applicable reasons why that is.
You misunderstood me, The Coalition (a new studio) recaptured the Gears identity so well that the overall reception is in fact complaining because the series didn't bring groundbreaking changes since 2005 in that the "gear" of gears of war is starting to become a bit rusty.

And although with Gears 5 they are trying new things such as more open environments and a more intimate story-telling, it's not great enough to be set on the same level of other console-exclusive story-driven third person games.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Gears 1 basically influenced the whole genre (like how RE4 influenced Gears). From games like Army of Two to games like The Last of Us. So yea, it was monumental.

this video highlights a number of applicable reasons why that is.

I watched the video but could you elaborate more on this? It really just seemed like Crowbcat was showing some small details lost in Gears 5, but alot of them don't really seem to... affect gameplay.