-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Credits. Really made up for the disappointment that was 4. Hell of a ride the whole way.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So a quick question. Sometimes when I'm hitting an enemy I got a red cross in my crosshair other times an orange. I take the red is because I'm hitting the enemy at a weak spot, but what about the orange? Is there any other tip?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Experienced has been pretty easy so far honestly. Are people having trouble going out of their way to upgrade Jack? Flash and invisibility make the Matriarch trivial plus shock trap makes the horde defense sections much more manageable.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Upped the difficulty of Escape. Spent like 30 minutes continually wiping with my team at the halfway checkpoint. Even made it out the doors one time then wiped to the enemies that got through. Eventually beat it, finally.

No match results retrieved, then game crashes at the loading screen afterwards.

10/10, I'm not mad at all.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Hot damn, I hadn't realized how effortlessly you can get high framerates because of the way this game is engineered. My laptop can actually take advantage of its 144hz screen pretty easily on solid settings. I'd just been cranking things as close to Ultra+ as possible for 60 fps, but this is rad.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it work? After playing a few rounds I still dont get it

It is a set path with static weapon spawns and encounters. You have to get to the end of the path and be picked up by the helicopter to win.

You basically are a Trojan horse. You allow yourself to get eaten by a Snatcher so that you can be carried into their Hive. Then you release some poisonous gas, and have to escape the Hive before the gas gets you too!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Experienced has been pretty easy so far honestly. Are people having trouble going out of their way to upgrade Jack? Flash and invisibility make the Matriarch trivial plus shock trap makes the horde defense sections much more manageable.
There are parts that were difficult for me even though I go out of my way to avoid moving forward.

I find Invisibility mainly good when rolling up to a new side-objective, but other than that, Stim takes the slot most of the time. It's a really, really good ability (can pick you up when you're downed, "whoops! there are three swarm over here and not one! and for rushing objectives when you don't want to deal with "all of a sudden" enemies Act 3 spoilerslike the part where you're lowering the bridge at the end of Act 3 and when you get to the house it's got swarm in there. Just pop a stim and run in there, kill the boomshot scion and the mission basically progresses.")

I honestly don't know why you'd use cloak for that boss.

I just wanna say, don't be that jerk that takes all the friggen ammo. Like... "we all don't have ammo, don't be a hog!"

Make sure you tag guns and ammo (there are usually 2 boxes in rooms that have them, take one tag the other) with aim+LS

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Upped the difficulty of Escape. Spent like 30 minutes continually wiping with my team at the halfway checkpoint. Even made it out the doors one time then wiped to the enemies that got through. Eventually beat it, finally.

No match results retrieved, then game crashes at the loading screen afterwards.

10/10, I'm not mad at all.

Escape has still been the sketchiest mode for me regarding actually giving me my stuff and not failing to get results.

I also keep getting people that run past EVERYTHING, seemingly unaware that...all those enemies are now going to pincer us.

They're usually nice enough to also pilfer all the ammo and shit just to not use it and keep running too.

Malo

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I put a ton of hours into gears mp for 1-3 and was good at it, but judgement and 4 didn't click for me. I played a little bit of 4 and got my ass handed to me. I was expecting more of the same with 5, but it clicked for me and I feel like I'm playing the mp in 1-3 again. In summation:

source.gif

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

My short notes:

• If you know the map, take the lead and assume your team will follow. Spam "Group Up!" if they don't
  • If you don't know the map, follow and make sure you cover your team.
  • Know who you're playing:
    • If you're Keegan, take advantage of downtime to resupply your team. You can't pop it in a desperate situation with any success.​
    • If you're Mac, use the shield to cover your teammates' inevitable run to the door. Especially if you have the card to damage enemies, it can keep the wave back.​
    • If you're Lahni, use your electroblades to take down the Warden. Dude goes down like nothing.​
    • If you're another character, what are you doing? Stick with the ones that it was designed with until you're an expert.​
  • Don't kill everything you see - find the critical path to the exit and run it, slashing what comes up along the way. You're graded on time, not kills. Enemies in side halls won't give you too much trouble.
  • Keep the Boomshot and Cryo Cannon (drop it for mobs) for the bosses / Scions.
  • Watch out for Sires and slash the hell out of them if they grab a teammate - don't stand and shoot because it will move faster than you can keep up.

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure that you know Friendly Fire is in Escape. I don't know why since it doesn't add that much but I've died plenty due to people not knowing.

Nov 6, 2017
Dam, Forge (Blitz variant), Foundation, Harbor & Reclaimed are in the game, but not in public rotation. If you want to play the maps choose Horde -> custom game and just jump in via server browser (you can filter by map, etc.) or create a public game other people can join.

It doesn't allow me to install the game and when I hover my mouse over the install button (which is grayed out) it doesn't allow me to click anything. Dying to play the game!
Check the system requirements below in the store. It seems you need something like a Windows update first. It should highlight / display what the problem is.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you can't quit in ranked.

But when people on your team do leave, there's no forfeit option.

Cool cool

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Jack is great, I use hijack a lot, try put it on a pouncer and watch the mayhem, awesome.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Scrap is used to enhance horse/escape class cards, not related to mtx I believe

That's a thing? We've put a good amount of hours into all the modes into this game and that's the first I'm learning about that. Well whatever, I don't care too much for the character cards or whatever they are. Not a big fan with how the multiplayer is modeled for a $60 title and zero of the tour stuff seems worth it to grind for. I think we'll do a insane campaign run and call it a game.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
game is great, I like it but damn it's so unfinished, it's a mess to be honest between the server issues, the roll back in campaign, the bugs, the crash etc... Microsoft really need to step the fuck up if they want ta catch the competition in quality AAA department.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
That's a thing? We've put a good amount of hours into all the modes into this game and that's the first I'm learning about that. Well whatever, I don't care too much for the character cards or whatever they are. Not a big fan with how the multiplayer is modeled for a $60 title and zero of the tour stuff seems worth it to grind for. I think we'll do a insane campaign run and call it a game.
If you're only playing MP for cosmetics then I just don't understand. I play MP because it's fun, and any cosmetics I earn are just a bonus.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
If you're only playing MP for cosmetics then I just don't understand. I play MP because it's fun, and any cosmetics I earn are just a bonus.

It's not that at all. It's the whole idea of how I'm being treated as a fan that rubs me the wrong way. I feel like the developer/publisher doesn't respect my time. I'm not asking them too or saying I'm entitled to it but I like the feeling of knowing the people who made this game love me as much as I love them and I don't get that with Gears 5. Not saying you have to agree with me but that is what I look for when playing a game, a connection to the makers of it. An extra-scummy MTX model breaks that for me (I say extra-scummy because this is EA-levels bad). I'll likely just go back to old Total War games, Mount & Blade, and maybe replay the Biohsock series. I'm also going to holdout for the Greedfall impressions to see if that'll be a good game to get into.

Regardless, I hope they improve the MTX model in Gears 5 but I don't see that happening. If there's any improvement, we'll have to wait for next-gen Gears. Either way, 5 had a campaign that can stand next to the best in the series and that's awesome.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Having just finished up Gears 4 the other day in prep for Gears 5 I gotta say Gears 5 is a huge jump from the last game. So many nice little QoL changes. It looks fantastic. The gunplay is the best in the series and the story is probably the most interesting its ever been in a gears game.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So, I started the game, and while I will get used to having the game look kind of ugly heh (but still running smoothly), I have some audio issues. Like most of the audio seems fine, but most of the character dialogue sounds muted. It's weird.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So, I started the game, and while I will get used to having the game look kind of ugly heh (but still running smoothly), I have some audio issues. Like most of the audio seems fine, but most of the character dialogue sounds muted. It's weird.

Yeah I think some of the audio mix levels sound weird myself. I usually keep my speaker volume on my laptop at like 75% and its more than enough in most cases but the dialog mix sounds kind of soft in places.... its weird.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ok this game deserves some flack for it's annoying bugs....

But man if this game isnt great to play. I'm on act 2 chapter 4 and this is the most diverse great to play gears ever. Co op is a dream.

Story is amazing and on experienced the gunplay is unmatched when it comes to third person cover shooters.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Yeah I think some of the audio mix levels sound weird myself. I usually keep my speaker volume on my laptop at like 75% and its more than enough in most cases but the dialog mix sounds kind of soft in places.... its weird.

Headphones here, and looking it up, it definitely seems like a issue for quite a few people. Couple workarounds didn't work for me, so I guess either I try this Dolby free trial that apparently works for now, or just wait for a update. I guess I can deal with it in Beginner Escape, but I am not bothering with anything else for now.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I dont agree with this at all. I like the fact that it gives you some exploration options. Its like Halo CE back in the day, it wasnt "open" per say, but when they gave you the option to take a vehicle and and advance at your own pace, it really felt like it was.

This reminds me a lot of that, which i like.

I just got to the open part and i like it so far.

I beat the campaign the other day. I loved the semi-open levels. They can certainly improve in the sequel (s) but it does put you in mind of Halo CE's semi-open world design.

What I find strange is the same people claiming it's mediocre had no issue with GoW's semi-open levels which were no better. Really strange.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I don't see what's wrong with open hub-worlds with smaller objectives/levels scattered throughout. It's not necessarily about providing the same sense of exploration as an open-world game, it's just about giving some opportunity for exploration and extra player agency.

In Act 3 most of the optional bits aren't even marked on the map until you discover them, making the flags pretty necessary (I don't understand what's so wrong with having some visual language built into the environment anyway?). There also are things to find outside of those cordoned off areas, with Jack components scattered about usually triggering a brief fight with some enemies.

It was an approach I loved in Uncharted Lost Legacy (and to a lesser extent UC4) and it was a very welcome addition to the formula here. I don't need the presence of these open areas to transform into some kind of actual open-world. They could do with more to do, though.

I agree completely. It is reasonably fine but I do want them to expand on it in the next Scarlet bound Gears 6.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
While most people on your team continue to shoot at the hijacked enemy and have no idea what just happened. ^^
I'm always Jack in Horde so I don't know how it looks for your teammates when you hijack an enemy, but I expect there to be a symbol above the enemies head?

How do you let hijacked enemies explode? There is a skill card that expands the blast radius or gives another bonus to the explosion but I have no idea how you make them explode in the first place.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the most broken game I've played since The Master Chief Collection. I'm not even talking about the servers. Scripting issues, game-breaking bugs that require chapter restarts (losing all gathered components), audio cutting out during cutscenes, hard crashes, etc.

I am playing co-op with my wife so any issues fixed by going offline won't work me. We just got to Act II Chapter 2 (after encountering a bug near the end of Chapter 1 that could only be fixed by replaying it all) and I don't really feel like playing anymore for a while. It's a shame because it seems like we're starting the really cool stuff that makes this game stand out from its prequels. We had played through Gears of War 4 recently and I even read the book that bridges the two games together, so I think it's all the more disappointing for me. I'm just glad I have it through Game Pass and didn't drop $80 on it.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got PC game pass and it won't allow me to install on my computer, the button is greyed out

Whats going on

Edit - Looks like my Windows 10 needed an update haha

Last edited:

Liha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Salzburg, Austria
I really enjoy the MP and I'm getting better with every session. The last MP Gears I actively played was 3 and that's years ago. I played a few rounds Escape on insane and elite yesterday and I already like it far more than Horde.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Now I can't even play Escape mode apparently. And I had the chance to play as Sarah Connor the couple of times that I got disconnected from. :/

Maybe I am just going to wait for some updates.

Edit: Lol, I gave one more chance, and boom, did a couple rounds without dropping. XD Outside of the audio issues, I am starting to enjoy Escape mode. I think if Horde matches can last for a while, Escape could definitely be my to go MP mode in this game.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have serious ping / server issues here in Europe. Me and my group of freidns only played games with 100 ms + of ping. I feel like we're getting thrown against US players on US servers no matter what.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
We have serious ping / server issues here in Europe. Me and my group of freidns only played games with 100 ms + of ping. I feel like we're getting thrown against US players on US servers no matter what.
Yeah, the game's busted in that regard.

The only times I've had EU matches were during the NZ release and when the servers were getting destroyed the other night. Outside of that it's playing with 120+ ping and destroying everything, because netcode favors high ping, lol.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm at the second half of Act three I think ? and so far this has been the most corporate / devoid of soul third person shooter I've played in a VERY long time. Its so "clean", filled with pointless lines of dialogues, failed dramatic tension and also frankly out of touch music when using the skiff that huh ... yeah

+ some shooting scenarios are also uninspired more often than not. Like, there was a huge potential to tap into with the ice stuff and some locations using neat vertical shootouts, but when you're in a vast or graphically interesting area the design funnels you into a corridor or a horde light assault or something.

I don't know, it just feels frankly weird after Remnant which was balls to the walls the whole time but has much more interesting combat scenarios. I'm sure horde / escape will be just fine but so far the campaign got zero intensity - "charisma" in experienced

edit : My bad, I forgot that Division 2 was equally if not more bland

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I never played a Gears game, so maybe I'm totally off here, but I've been watching some footage out of curiosity after reading the game looks very good. Is it me, or does the shooting lack punch and impact. The screen hardly shakes, the sound is not really punchy and enemies don't seem to really react to your bullets, like you're spraying water on them.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I never played a Gears game, so maybe I'm totally off here, but I've been watching some footage out of curiosity after reading the game looks very good. Is it me, or does the shooting lack punch and impact. The screen hardly shakes, the sound is not really punchy and enemies don't seem to really react to your bullets, like you're spraying water on them.
I'm not very good at noticing that kind of stuff but I always felt that Gears including 5 had some of the best feedback. It's mainly the bulletsponge guys where it can feel a bit weak.